drum corps

invisible_children07

Earning My Ears
i remember seeing this once before but i didn't want to bump the old thread

anyways

I am going to be a rookie member of the Bluecoats Drum and Bugle corps this summer. I have achieved alternate status as a soprano player.

I'm very excited. Any corp vets out there? fans?

BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! :thumbsup2

Good for you! Great News! :banana:

Alum of Cadets and Glassmen here. I have also toured with the Magic and the Scouts on the cook trucks. Not sure of my plans this summer yet, but I did book a room for Pasadena!

So when is your next camp? What are you guys playing this year?

presidents day weekend is the next camp.

i'm pretty excited

the show is entitled "criminal"
that's pretty much all i'm technially allowed to tell you.

but i will tell you
watch out for the coats this summer
the music and visual, everything
the total package is there this year

its pretty neat

Ohio.

fees are something like 1600 which is a mess but im handling it

yeah i was there.

you should check out the vids from the december camp. those are better
im the very last sop on the right.

$1600.00 :scared1: WOW

So what does an alternate do? We didn't have alternates when I marched. We had a hard enough time getting enough kids to put out a full corps! (Yes the Cadets have had a past!) LOL We had to drive down to New Orleans to get about 25 kids from a corps that folded to fill out the ranks.

Me, a young kid from Ohio, stuck on a rolling caravan with other kids who either had a thick New Jersey accent, or a southern New Orleans accent. Talk about a fun summer! :rotfl2:

well
pretty much
im a member
i just dont march the shows
and if someone gets hurt
i get to march the shows until that person can return
i can also earn my spot by being awesome at life.

well.
im from kentucky.
no accent though.
but everyone else is like
penn./north ohio.

Please keep us informed how camps go! Like I said earlier I'm not sure of my plans yet this summer, but I know I'm going to Pasadena. Probably Atlanta also. I looked for your tour schedule on the coats page but didnt find anything.

And whats this about Coats getting a new look? Come on, spill the beans!

Just wanted to pop in and say congrats! I understand getting a place with the Bluecoats is a really big deal! :thumbsup2

My goddaughter auditioned for the guard in Nov. but didn't quite make it. Fingers crossed for next year! :wizard:

Please talk to your Goddaughter about marching with another corps for the summer! It really breaks my heart when a kid doesn't make the first corps they tried out for and just give up!

Drum Corps is Drum Corps!

If she really has her heart set on marching with the Bluecoats tell her to march this summer with a Div 2 corps, and absorb everything she can! Then next year she can really knock their socks off at the Bluecoats audition.

Good Luck!

Please talk to your Goddaughter about marching with another corps for the summer! It really breaks my heart when a kid doesn't make the first corps they tried out for and just give up!

She was referred to a div 2 corps (out of or near Toledo, I believe) who really, really wanted her. Unfortunately, her parents, who weren't totally on board with the whole Bluecoats thing in the first place, put the kibosh on that. She dealt with that frustratration much more gracefully than I would have. :rolleyes:

So, she's spending the summer taking dance classes (apparently that was where she struggled a bit during her guard audition) and captaining her corps at home.

She'll be back to try again next year. I already promised her I'd spend a week riding around in the food truck if she makes it! :teeth:

Good for her, and best wishes next year.

A week on the cook truck? WOW that is nice of you to do that! What a chore that is. I've done it for three years for various corps. I've never worked so hard in my life, but would do it again in a heartbeat!

Your days will go like this....

6am - pull into some town (you will have no idea where you are) open the cook truck and make breakfast for 200 people.

Hop in a van and make a quick Walmart run for bread and milk. (People will ask "How many kids do you have" when they see how much you are buying! :rotfl2:

Come back, put grocerys away, and prepare lunch for the same 200 people.

Start dinner, and perhaps grab a quick nap on some high school gym floor.

Grab a quick cold shower (they turn off the hot water in high schools in the summer)

Serve dinner, clean, and pack up the cook truck and head to the show.

Prepare a snack, put it in the oven to keep warm, and go watch your kids perform.

Serve snack, clean, load the truck and head off to the next town. You will sleep in some sort of vehicle going 55 MPH down some highway. You will learn to love truck stop and concession stand food, because its the only food YOU dont have to prepare!

It's the same every day, just different citys and towns each day. It's work, work, and more work. If you see corn your probably in the Midwest. If it's un Godly hot, your probably in Oklahoma! :lmao:

But when some strange kid comes up to you in a parking lot and askes you which kid is yours, and you reply "I dont really have a kid in the corps, I'm just here to help" and the kid looks at you with that "I wish my Mom or Dad would do this for me look", it makes the whole day pricesless!

I still have kids all over the country that call me "Dad".:grouphug:

I'm not a corps vet, but I'm a corps tag-a-long vet! :lmao:

Let's see, my brother and sister did drum corps for most of their teens ( I think starting at age 16 or something?) anyway, they started out in Royal Knights which was a local corps from our hometown in WI. then they both moved on to Northman which I think was from Green Bay or Milwaukee.

Then, my brother moved on to the Cavaliers and marched with them until he aged out. My sister marched with the Troopers until she aged out. I've been to Camp Randall Stadium (Madison, WI) for DCI finals so much I'm sick of the place!:lmao:

So yeah, since they marched I went along with my mom to watch them perform. My dad drove semi for the Cavaliers while my brother was marching with them. He dutifully earned the nickname "Juiceman". :goodvibes

So how are camps? No updates? :confused3

I'm headed over to Tampa today for a color guard regional. Should be a fun day!

well.

just got back from camp about an hour ago

first drill camp ever, man it was really really hard
but i managed

i also officially signed my contract! yipee

music and drill are coming well.

tyler

Good for you, keep up the hard work.

I just got news that Boston is having camps here in Orlando. I'll have to take a ride over to see whats going on.......

May I ask what drum corps you are speaking of? Do you mean Drum and Bugle Corps? Like DCI?! :goodvibes

Just curious...

yep....DCI

The OP is marching Bluecoats this year, and we are getting updates on camps.

All together now......for you newbies.....it's not "Booo ing" it's Bluuuue ing

BLUUUUUUUUE! :woohoo:

Very cool! I'm an old drum corps vet myself! Marched with Star of Indiana (well, actually Brass Theater/Blast... so I guess I'm not REALLY a drum corps vet)! But my DH marched with Star from 89-93 (was DM in 93!!) and he is the brass caption head at Carolina Crown!

My DS marched in Phantoms Mellophone line in 96.

It's so nice to see fellow DC folks on here! Best of luck with the Coats! They are AWESOME lately!!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter