Driving to Disney

diskids2

<font color=CC66CC>Not above grovelling for a tag
I hope this is the right place to post this.

We are thinking of driving to WDW from NY (Westchester County). We have been several times with the kids ages 11 ;and 7 and have always flown. I have driven once before but I was single and swinging, :D and drove straight through.

Here are some specific questions, but feel free to give me your general thoughts as well.
1. What do you do to keep hte kids from killing each other?
2. When do you usually leave?
3. When do you stop and where do you stay when you stop?

Hi Diskids,

I am from NYC and have done the car run down to Orlando once. I was young and married, but didn't have any kids. My cousin, however, had her daughter and husband with us. She was six at the time.

We left at around 6pm. The little one was out by 9pm
She slept at night, which was good. I do not know if this is an option for you.

I have a girl friend who has children your age. She purchased a television w/vcr for her car and pre-taped all the nickelodeon shows. I think this is what I am going to do in May when I go.

They have road games you can also purchase from Parent teacher stores. I do not know of one in Ny but, I am sure you can find one near you. Just check the yellow pages.

I like the idea of having gameboys and other games as well. my son likes to use head phones for his gameboy

When I Left from New York, we didn't stop we went straight through. But you could stop in South Carolina.
Do you have an Entertainment book? They have a lot of hotels listed and you can get a 50% discount.

My husband is complaining about it, but I think it will be ok. I have done this before with three dogs, and at least they will not be going this time.

Have a great trip

I live in NYC and drove down to HHI. When we did, I phoned AAA and they sent me a trip tixx that mapped out our whole route for us. It was wonderful. It's a sprial bound book with maps, rest stops, gas stations etc... They said half way was Fredricsburg, VA. It was recommend by AAA to stay over night there. We did and found the area safe and full of minivans! We got a AAA rate at a basic hotel for $56 for one night. I would call AAA to get there recommendations. You don't want to get off at just any stop. It might not be safe with you and a car full of your family.

I can't help you with the kids stuff since I do not have kids, but maybe you can find trip games at the teacher store in the Westchester Pavilion in White Plains, the one that has Borders and Toys R Us in it. The teacher store, I think it's called the Teacher's Warehouse, is on the top floor.

We drove down from Westchester a coupld of weeks ago. We left at 6:30 am, packed lunch and snacks, we got to I-Drive in Orlando at 12:30 am. The drive was fun. I like road trips.

On the way back we stopped in Raleigh, NC. I was skeptic about stopping anywhere else, plus I got the hilton on priceline for $30.

we are driving again in Aug. It wasn't that bad driving.

Thanks so much for all of the good suggestions. I am very nervvous about driving, but my daughter is absolutely refusing to fly, since 9/11. I want to give her time.

You will have a ball! Don't be nervous. I just get tired and I also have vertigo, which causes me to feel like I am falling out of my car. Think sometimes I should just fly, but I love driving through Atlanta and Valdosta Florida.

I drive down from MD with my mother and 3 year old. I make sure to bring plenty of new books and games for Emma. She loves sticker books, lift a flap, and those paint books. I know your kids are older but that gives you more options. Do they have gameboys or similar games? Bring them. Do you have a TV/VCR? Rent or buy one. There are some neat travel games geared toward older kids such as yours. Look on Amazon for travel games. Get a triptick from AAA or go to Mapquest and print out a couple of maps for the kids to use too. Let them keep track of how far you are going and how far you have left. Ask them directions so they will "think" they are actually helping you. That worked great for my older two kids. Buy a few things to surprise them with when things getting really rowdy in that backseat. When you are on the road, stop at the first Cracker Barrel you see. They have some neat free maps that give distances and fun facts and games. Bring plenty fo snacks. A full mouth is a quiet one! We are leaving at 5am and stopping in Santee, SC as that is the halfway point for us. We are hoping to be in WDW by 3pm the second day. You should be fine. We used to fly too but after driving once, we will never go back to flying to WDW again. We have too much fun driving. :)

I keep thinkin' how long it would be for us to drive from N.E.Massachusetts to
WDW... And then,there's the ride back!!!!

airhead

You know airhead I think about that drive back as well, and I get tired at the thought.

One thing I thought about was driving down with a one way rental - only about 80 bucks to rent the car for the day (national),

and then flying back on southwest airlines. that way I would only have to buy one-way tickets to go back.

Just think about it - after a week or two at disney, the last thing you want to do is drive home.

ooooh I am soooo tired!

The drive home can be pretty bad. We've driven down and back from NJ with two children several times. The drive down is fun because everyone is so excited about the trip. Our kids seem to be much more tolerant of the whole trip actually. We bring lots of fun things for them to do. We used to bring a TV/VCR combo for them to watch video tapes. That really passes the time. When we purchased our van a couple years ago, we specifically bought one with a VCR system installed for our long trips. The kids have gameboys and that keeps them occupied quite a bit too, along with travel games, Yes & Know books and Mad Libs are great too. Then we pack a cooler with drinks and pack lots of their favorite snacks. They love it. The half way mark from our area in NJ to Orlando is Fayetteville, SC. We usually start out early in the morning and drive 12 hours which takes us into Santee, SC, stay over night there and then get started around 7:00 AM the next morming and arrive at our resort around 1:00 - 2:00 PM. On the way back, we'll ususally split the stay right in half, which is 9 hours one day and 9 the next. Although it is a long trip, there are some good benefits of driving, one is the overall cost savings, and I also like to not have to be on anyone elses schedule, leaving when ever we feel we are ready to leave. Also packing is wonderful because you do not need to restrict yourself due to airline luggage requirements (this is a big thing for me because I always over pack, not to mention all the souveniers I need to bring home!) Over the last couple of years we have alternated between driving and taking the Autotrain down. I won't fly either, so the thought of not having to get on a plane is much more relaxing to me.

We drove down 2/23 from North of Boston and arrived back 3/8. We had a great drive. I have a FunTV. VCR in a bag. But my son did not use it much. He was coloring, and just enjoying the sites. We had our dog with us so we were stopping at every rest area for her, to walk and stretch. We left our home at 4 am, on Saturday. I drove the whole first day, myself. Arrived in Rocky Mount NC around 6 pm. Left at 4:30 am, and arrived in Disney at 3 pm. We really enjoyed our ride.

I'm in Rowley. Your post is encouraging but its that ride home that's got me stalled....

airhead(wanna go,but........)

We are planning to drive in October. I have three boys ages at WDW time is 4, 7, & 8. As the least expensive airflight I could find nonstop and at reasonable hours was $230 each. With five of us that was $1150! Then plus the rental of a decent size car.....plus the hour drive to the airport, 3 hours at the airport, 3 hours on the flight, 1 hour at the airport for arrival....then the time it takes to get the rental, the drive to Disney......add another 12 hours by car and we could be there! And be a $1000 richer! I figured the cost of the drive, the one night hotel etc...to be the same as the cost of the rental car in FL. This way we can go on our own schedule and not feel the stress of the "rush". My mother thinks we are nuts. She would much prefer to leave MA in the a.m., hop on a plane and be sitting in her resort by 4 p.m. What works for some doesn't necessarily work for others! ~Joy:)

We cheated driving home. LOL Stopped at my sister's in North Carolina. Then we didn't go near I95, kind of zig zagged, going on roads that looked interesting. Took us about 24 hours from Charlotte!!! We went over the the Blue Ridge Parkway. Gorgeous. We had a great drive. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Hey Buzz and everyone,

What is a "fun tv"?

I am really interested to know. I would like to have one tell me more.

Also where do you keep your dogs when you get to disney or do you stay off-site? I stayed at the residence inn for years so I could drive down with my 3 dogs, husband and son, but now I only have two dogs. I think mine would freak if they were to stay in the kennels. This year they are staying at home with a babysitter who will stay in my house with them.

The FunTV - I bought it at Best Buy - is a VCR in a carrying bag, with a small video monitor. Runs off your car lighter.

I kennelled my dog at the Animal Kingdom Kennel. She didn't like it, but she got to see us a couple times a day. And she enjoyed the drive down with us. Every time I kennel her at home, she doesn't eat, and gets sick when she gets home. Didn't happen this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter