• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving the PCH

pjpoppins

DIS Veteran
I'm trying to decide whether or not to take this route from San Francisco to Anaheim. Internet maps say it takes about 9 hours. Other people say it's at least 12 and somebody I talked to recently had a residency in San Diego and said it should only take 5-6 hours. We are going to a wedding in San Francisco on a Saturday and then head out to Anaheim on Sunday. We will probably sleep in and have breakfast etc before we head out. We are checking into the DLH Sunday but don't plan on trying to go to the parks that night, but hopefuly have a little pool time or even just get in in time to wake up early and hit 'em hard at the parks (1st visit, coming from CT). I'd really like to take the PCH as idk if we'll get another chance (I've never been to California before). Yet we are obviously huge Disney fans and are using this wedding as an excuse to see Walt's creation. It will be myself, DW, and DD7. We wouldn't make a ton of stops except to eat, take pictures, and I have to jump in the Pacific. I enjoy a scenic route and would consider driving and taking in the scenes a "tourist activity". Any suggestions? Anybody think they have a more accurate timeframe? I've tried altering the route online to see if taking it part way and then cutting east to Rt 5 would be any shorter but every route says roughly 9 hours. Thanks everybody.

I think you should factor in 9-12 hours. If you do decide on Hwy. 1, don't plan on cutting over to the 5 because west-east roads are horrible and it's much safer to stay on the 1/101. The only time I would think it would be okay is to take the 134 which is just a little north of Los Angeles.

Be aware that you won't always be on the 1 hugging the coastline. You will often be on the 101 which is inland. The coastline near Big Sur is dramatic and beautiful but you will want to be careful driving.

There will be a lot of traffic in the Santa Barbara area through to Oxnard especially on a Sunday. Sometimes it is bumper to bumper because it is only two, sometimes three, lanes. The Santa Barbara coastline is beautiful, it has a Mediterranean feel to it.

Just factor in a very long and sometimes boring drive. But going strictly on the 5 will be extremely boring!:)

9-12 hours is about right especially since you have to drive over big Sur.Carmel and Monterey are sure some pretty sites for picture taking. If your not in a hurry perfect. Big Sur is cliff and up hill driving. So take your time and enjoy it if you think you won't make it back.

I agree with the driving time. I am not a slow driver, though I try to stay around the speed limit. It took me about 12 hours to drive down Hwy 1, and yes I did stop to look at things on the way down, but didn't venture too far off the Hwy.

In my experience, Hwy 101 takes about 9-10 hours.

Taking 101 to Gilroy and cutting over to the 5 and driving that normally takes me about 5-1/2 hours. I've driven this route 3 times this year.

Reading along and interested as we are doing this drive next year... but we are planning to stay overnight somewhere along the way.

There will be a lot of traffic in the Santa Barbara area through to Oxnard especially on a Sunday. Sometimes it is bumper to bumper because it is only two, sometimes three, lanes. The Santa Barbara coastline is beautiful, it has a Mediterranean feel to it.

Just factor in a very long and sometimes boring drive. But going strictly on the 5 will be extremely boring!:)

Why especially on a sunday? We're driving down the coast (with photo stops) on a sunday in late sept so will be getting to that area early-mid evening. Will it be hellish?

Thanks

Especially Sunday's because there are always more folks on the roads on Sundays. This is especially true in the Santa Barbara area, and especially in the evenings as people go to head home, although, you'll have slow downs in the Pismo Beach area as well.

All of the weekenders are heading back home on Sundays. The Santa Barbara/Montecito area is a getaway for Los Angelenos. I often visit family in Carpinteria and we always are in standstill traffic when we head back on Sundays and Holidays.

I have driven up on PCH from Los Angeles to San Franscico several times and although its a beautiful drive that everyone should try at once you need to allocate more time because its definitely not the 5 Freeway. You'll have slower speed limits, single lanes and numerous twist and turns. Not to mention you may want to stop and take pictures during your drive. You also need to keep in mind that this weekend at Disneyland is the 10K and half marathon races, in addition Monday is a holiday so I expect the park to be extremely crowded this weekend.

I after our trip last year going down would say an easy 12 hours prob more.
going down highway5 is around 5 or 6 hours

Pooh, we'll get traffic then. We have one day from Salinas down to Sylmar. We're gonna take our time so maybe we'll have dinner in Santa Barbara in the hope of missing some of the traffic bad to LA itself. We'll see. Thanks for the warning. At least when I go it's not (as far as I know) a holiday there (Sept 22nd).

Weekend traffic (Sat/Sun) is also a lot higher on the Big Sur coast section of Highway 1, from Carmel to Big Sur and south towards San Simeon. This is by far the most scenic section of Highway 1.

(And a note to satisfy my pet peeve. This, longest section of Highway 1 is most definitely not PCH. PCH is a designation for the southern, and smaller, section of Highway 1, from Oxnard south to San Juan Capistrano. If you want a designation for the main, northern part of Highway 1, it's officially Cabrillo Highway. But everyone just calls it Highway 1).

-Bob

Can I jump in and ask a question too?

We are driving from San Francisco to San Diego at the end of April next year. We will stay one night along the way.

Would Santa Barbara be a good overnight stop?

We are driving from San Francisco to San Diego at the end of April next year. We will stay one night along the way.

Yes! Santa Barbara is beautiful and the prettiest city in the Central Coast area. There are great restaurants on State Street.

Re: the northern part of the route 101 around Prunedale (north of Salinas) tends to back up in both direction due to the flea market traffic and lately the freeway construction on Sunday afternoons. Not that big a deal compared to the nightmare that southern CA traffic can be, IMO.
As of last week Hwy 1 just north of Big Sur is 1 lane for a short stretch due to highway repair, no big deal, but they were closing the hwy down (eg: no traffic @ all) @ 9 pm weekdays.
For those planning future trips on Hwy 1 always smart to verify that it's open, winter slides causing the Hwy just N of Big Sur to close happen once in awhile and sometimes the repair work can continue for a long time.

Just be prepared, Santa Barbara can be very pricey!

In doing your research, also check staying at San Luis Obispo if cost is a concern.

Sooo.. if you are driving San Fran down to LA/Anaheim.... where is really about halfway??

I know lots of people stop at Monterey but from what I can tell its not really half way of the drive.

With 2 kids we would really like a place that is half way....

any thoughts or suggestions??

In doing your research, also check staying at San Luis Obispo if cost is a concern.

Thanks Mary Jo - I must add that I have been listening to the podcasts all the way down here in New Zealand and they have been very helpful in planning our trip :)

I suppose another question we have been asking ourselves is whether to pre-book our room for the night or not. (Driving from San Francisco to San Diego with one night Santa Barbara). We are staying in a Comfort Suites in San Diego and have joined their rewards program so had thought we would stay at the Quality Inn in Santa Barbara to take advantage of the discount.

So one thought is to book ahead, so we have a room booked and aren't looking for something when we arrive.

But the other school of thought is to stay flexible, we might have had enough of driving before we get as far as Santa Barbara, or we might get there and decide that we will keep driving for another hour or so before stopping for the night. But will we get stuck with really expensive accommodation?

If you stop somewhere before Santa Barbara, the Central Coast choices would be San Luis Obispo, Pismo Beach, Arroyo Grande, and Santa Maria. San Luis and Pismo have the most accommodations and you can find rooms for $150 or so. Santa Maria has a few hotels and they are in the same price range.

I've booked last minute for trips to Santa Maria and if I couldn't get something there, I've always been able to find a room in Pismo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter