Dress Shorts Now Acceptable for Palo Brunch

I wore dress shorts to Palo brunch in January on my cruise from Sydney and also several years ago on a cruise from Florida, and my attire was not questioned on either occasion. Being a native Sydneysider, dress shorts are normal summer attire for me, even in the better restaurants. It never occurred to me that people might find shorts offensive.

I wore dress shorts to Palo brunch in January on my cruise from Sydney and also several years ago on a cruise from Florida, and my attire was not questioned on either occasion. Being a native Sydneysider, dress shorts are normal summer attire for me, even in the better restaurants. It never occurred to me that people might find shorts offensive.
Is that the proper word for residents? Or just one section of the city?

We can put it in the Word of the Day calendar.

I'm not sure "offensive" is the proper word. Yes, shorts are considered appropriate attire in some areas of the world, but there are many areas where such attire is typically considered less formal than long pants.

I just “hmmphed” so loud I almost broke a rib. Spittle came out of my mouth, my wife was alarmed. I consider myself something of a professional people watcher, and part time fashionista. I only eat at Palo to look at what other people are wearing on their legs, and I dare say this has ruined it for me.

I would guess that the definition of dress shorts is based on material and style. The style you described (just above the knee with a zipper) made out of cotton, cotton blends, maybe linen, or something similar would be acceptable, but not jean shorts.

To me, the elements that completely throw off the look/make it look slightly ridiculous are the long socks/socks pulled up way too high, and the suit jackets.
you just described British upper class look

What are "dress" shorts?
My guess is that DCL will interpret it as "shorts on anyone still willing to pay for brunch now that the buffet is gone."

They won't turn any paying customers away. They probably just added "dress" to try to appease people who like formality and won't like this change. But in reality they won't police it.

We stopped in for a drink at the Merridian in September on the Fantasy and were told that any clean clothing was acceptable. No swimwear but a nice pair of jeans and a clean t-shirt was fine.

I am glad to read all the comments on this. Agree or disagree, it is your opinion and I have mine.. We all have what we consider to be appropriate in an adult setting where we are paying "extra" for an experience. Disney is bowing to those who don't want to bring a pair of slacks with them on a cruise in order to keep those customers appeased. That's one of the reasons they removed the tie and jacket requirement a few years ago. Currently Remy/Enchante' have not adopted this but give it time. Heck, even Victoria and Alberts may be forced to lower their standards. Yes, I do notice what people are wearing as they walk past, but I don't dwell on it, only smile and move on. If you need to wear shorts, go ahead and do it, just don't ask me to be happy about it. Call me old-fashioned, old-schooled, or just plain old. I still like to go out to eat where certain attire is required (and no, I don't want to pay more to eat at Remy/Enchante'). I'm guessing there are just too many cruisers that are getting the free Palo brunch that complained that they had to bring slacks to get their free meal.
Katesdad

I am glad to read all the comments on this. Agree or disagree, it is your opinion and I have mine.. We all have what we consider to be appropriate in an adult setting where we are paying "extra" for an experience. Disney is bowing to those who don't want to bring a pair of slacks with them on a cruise in order to keep those customers appeased. That's one of the reasons they removed the tie and jacket requirement a few years ago. Currently Remy/Enchante' have not adopted this but give it time. Heck, even Victoria and Alberts may be forced to lower their standards. Yes, I do notice what people are wearing as they walk past, but I don't dwell on it, only smile and move on. If you need to wear shorts, go ahead and do it, just don't ask me to be happy about it. Call me old-fashioned, old-schooled, or just plain old. I still like to go out to eat where certain attire is required (and no, I don't want to pay more to eat at Remy/Enchante'). I'm guessing there are just too many cruisers that are getting the free Palo brunch that complained that they had to bring slacks to get their free meal.
Katesdad
I agree. The bright side is that maybe this will encourage the must-always-be-casual folks to select brunch instead of dinner.

Katesdad
Those receiving “free” Palo brunch are those loyal platinum or above guests so they’ve definitely paid for it. Let’s face it, cruising has gotten more casual and this platinum cruiser is here for it. I could absolutely care less what anyone else has on, especially while enjoying my “free” meal.

I don't know what dress shorts are and I don't play golf so I don't get that reference either

So. Much. Pearl. Clutching.

Should bring a dress kilt next time, just so my bare legs can scandalize someone.

Shorts you'd get from Tommy Bahama for the most part.

DH brought his kilt for formal night on our last cruise - it was great for warmer weather!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter