Dress Shorts Now Acceptable for Palo Brunch

Husker Mike

DIS Veteran
The DisneyCruiseLineBlog reports that DCL has relaxed their dress code for Palo Brunch to allow dress shorts.

https://disneycruiselineblog.com/2024/02/palo-palo-steakhouse-to-allow-dress-shorts-during-brunch/

Adult-exclusive restaurants aboard Disney Cruise Line ships are elegant dining experiences. Guests are requested to dress in a manner consistent with the restaurant’s sophistication.

Formal or semi-formal attire is recommended. Also permitted is dress-casual attire with a polished look, such as dress pants, jeans in good condition, collared shirts, dressy tops and lifestyle shoes. For brunch at Palo and Palo Steakhouse, dress shorts are acceptable. Clothing such as T-shirts, swimwear and sports attire are not permitted.
And sure enough... it's updated at https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/dining-food-beverages/dining-dress-codes/?

What are "dress" shorts? Shorts are pretty much, by definition, not dress clothes.

This makes me feel better. It lets me know I am not the only one who had never heard the term before. I googled it because I was curious. It is another term for Bermuda shorts.

I would say chino, bermudas just above the knee with zipper and a polo would be a nice look... but what defines that? not the length..

jean shorts have a zipper but with a t_shirt then a totally more casual look vs the above.

I would say chino, bermudas just above the knee with zipper and a polo would be a nice look... but what defines that? not the length..

jean shorts have a zipper but with a t_shirt then a totally more casual look vs the above.

I think you just defined what is and is not the look they are going for. 👍

Guess they made it official. They've been allowing shorts for brunch for a while, at least at manager discretion, cause we've seen them multiple times. Mostly post-covid but some pre-covid. Our last cruise on the Magic in Feb, there was a young lady wearing shorts that were within a few mm of being booty shorts.

Last edited:

I would say shorts you'd play golf in...
I played golf for a few years when I was a kid and back then, wearing shorts to play was kind of icky. So, there we were wearing pants on one of the Disney courses in July when Orlando was experiencing a heat wave and not getting its usual daily showers. We made it about three holes in and then quit because we were about to pass out from the heat. Maybe shorts would have saved us!

I would guess that the definition of dress shorts is based on material and style. The style you described (just above the knee with a zipper) made out of cotton, cotton blends, maybe linen, or something similar would be acceptable, but not jean shorts.

To me, the elements that completely throw off the look/make it look slightly ridiculous are the long socks/socks pulled up way too high, and the suit jackets.

Sorry DCL, I am not in agreement with this policy change. We should still have a place for adults where you should have to dress like adults.
I'm not sure how you can say that this policy isn't dressing like adults. I dare say that for many males, they wouldn't otherwise pack long pants on a Disney cruise (except from November into maybe March) if it weren't for a meal at Palo.

And I'm sure people have worn ears into the "adult dining" restaurants; those aren't restricted in the policy either.

I don’t get why anyone would be mad if someone is wearing shorts. You are sitting at a table so you can’t even see someone else’s legs or butt unless you are making it a point to look. And women were already wearing dresses or skirts that were just as short. If you are at a booth then you can’t see anything below the waist at all. Someone wearing shorts has exactly 0% influence on my experience.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter