Downtown Disney Disaster?

disneydinerhp

Earning My Ears
I read a comment recently that Downtown Disney is a complete "disaster" right now. Any thoughts/comments? Trying to figure out how much time to budget for there. Thanks!

Well, if you think that it's one large construction zone is a disaster, then it is. There are still a lot of shops and restaurants open and new restaurants and shops opening weekly.

Depends on when you are going and what you are looking to do there.

Reports I'm hearing now are that things are getting better at DTD. No, still not a breeze but getting better. When will you be going?

I saw a youtube video the other day, I think they are turning the corner it looked awesome.

Follow the news round up thread for regular updates.

Major construction is out of the guest way in Town Center.

The landing is getting closer to completion every day.

Marketplace doesn't have much going on other than World of Disney expansion.

If you are driving, yes, it's a nightmare. If you are using WDW transportation, non-issue. There are still some construction walls up in the old Pleasure island area and around Disney Quest but it's manageable. They have added new stores and places to eat/snack and night time street style performing with more hinted to come.
I wouldn't call it a disaster but it is definitely being worked on. It was much worse about 6 months ago.

December was hell! We found April much easier.

Hopefully will be even quieter by next May

When I saw the thread title I pictured a huge oil spill in downtown Disney or the like.

But there is a lot of construction but a lot of things open as well

Parking was much easier than I had anticipated when we visited last month. No problem getting into the new enormous parking lot. Also, much of the construction is on the sides of the walkways, didn't have any trouble maneuvering between the West side and the Marketplace.

I agree that if coming by Disney bus, it's really pretty painless. Once you get past the old "market place", you will see lots of construction walls.

We went in May. There was a lot of construction however the sections they have opened and completed are just beautiful, I never experienced the parking mess but really enjoyed my time down there

No more of a disaster than the parks that have lots of construction walls. Progress vs. disaster -- it's all in the eye of the beholder. We were at DTD in June and my only complaint was that I had to (excuse me...I chose to) drive our own car and park in a parking deck that, while pretty awesome, wasn't anywhere near the part of DTD that we wanted to visit. But given what they are doing there and the end game, that wasn't really a big deal, especially knowing that we chose to drive instead of taking Disney transportation. Lots of new stuff has already opened up and continues to do so. Once you are on site and walking around, I think it's actually already better than it used to be.

I suspect that the whole construction complaint will continue to a reasonable degree between now and 2021, when we'll see the 50th anniversary of WDW. As 2021 gets closer, projects will be completed, walls will come down and we'll have a year of minimal complaints (at least in the construction area). Sounds like a long time away...but not really.

Here are a couple of videos I took that show the recent progress at Disney Springs.

We go to DTD often. The construction is getting much better. Still makes some of the walkways narrow and it can get bogged down during peak hours. But I feel like all the construction is worth it. Everything that has been completed looks wonderful. The parking garage is fantastic and when the 2nd one is completed it will basically solve that problem.

I was there on Sunday and it was coming along nicely. I parked in the Casting lot, which was much better than last time when I parked behind Hess and took a shuttle to the parking garage. The parking garage that is open is way too far from everyplace I wanted to go. If you park at Casting it is a short 5 minute walk to World of Disney. The bridge is open crossing over to Rainforest Cafe. That was a brilliant idea as it saves many steps getting to that side of DTD. On Sunday the experience was much improved from my last trip there the beginning of summer.

I was there last week, took Disney transportation, and found it fine. Lots of construction behind the walls, but lots of new shops and no problems getting by along the walk ways.

Marketplace is same as always.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter