Downton Abbey

you don't have to have seen the series to understand what's happening. The story line isn't rocket science and you can surely figure it out. and if not, the cinematography, costumes and score are enough to keep anyone interested. Its just beautiful.

So, earlier, I said I understood it. And that's absolutely true. But...

This movie was pretty fan-servicy. Like, the movie was basically a movie-length episode of the tv show. While it was understandable, it wasn't, in any sense, an actual standalone movie. As a piece of film art, it wasn't great.

This movie was pretty fan-servicy. Like, the movie was basically a movie-length episode of the tv show. While it was understandable, it wasn't, in any sense, an actual standalone movie. As a piece of film art, it wasn't great.

Yeah, I can't argue with that. It was really fun to see the characters and the house again and to get some more of the gorgeous costumes and all that made me love the show to begin with, but the movie's main plot isn't terribly believable if you look at the logistics of it. But there are some lovely personal interactions and plenty of side-moments that were more interesting to me than the main thread. As a fan of the show, I definitely enjoyed it and I'll be going again this weekend (dressing up with some friends in period-appropriate dresses this time), and I think it's worth going to in theaters, but there's also nothing wrong with waiting to watch it later at home after completing the series.

Yeah, I can't argue with that. It was really fun to see the characters and the house again and to get some more of the gorgeous costumes and all that made me love the show to begin with, but the movie's main plot isn't terribly believable if you look at the logistics of it. But there are some lovely personal interactions and plenty of side-moments that were more interesting to me than the main thread. As a fan of the show, I definitely enjoyed it and I'll be going again this weekend (dressing up with some friends in period-appropriate dresses this time), and I think it's worth going to in theaters, but there's also nothing wrong with waiting to watch it later at home after completing the series.

I had a blast with it. I kinda understood going in what this was going to be. Maggie Smith and Penelope "Harriet Jones, Prime Minister" Wilton were hysterical together.

Yeah, I can't argue with that. It was really fun to see the characters and the house again and to get some more of the gorgeous costumes and all that made me love the show to begin with, but the movie's main plot isn't terribly believable if you look at the logistics of it. But there are some lovely personal interactions and plenty of side-moments that were more interesting to me than the main thread.

Thst is precisely why I said it's like going to someone else's family reunion. I suspect this movie is more relationship driven, that about the plot. It's to update us on what's been happening to the Crawley family & servants in the past couple if years. Moreso, than about the King & Queen visiting. If one is a fan of the show, you want to know what happened to all 14+ people. For those that haven't watched the show, the times & customs may be mildly interesting. But, probably not so much as if they already had an emotional investment in the characters.

Yeah, I can't argue with that. It was really fun to see the characters and the house again and to get some more of the gorgeous costumes and all that made me love the show to begin with, but the movie's main plot isn't terribly believable if you look at the logistics of it. But there are some lovely personal interactions and plenty of side-moments that were more interesting to me than the main thread.

Thst is precisely why I said it's like going to someone else's family reunion. I suspect this movie is more relationship driven, than about the plot. It's to update us on what's been happening to the Crawley family & servants in the past couple of years. Moreso, than about the King & Queen visiting. If one is a fan of the show, you want to know what happened to all 14+ people. For those that haven't watched the show, the times & customs may be mildly interesting. But, probably not so much as if they already had an emotional investment in the characters.

Last edited:
I saw a YouTube video that gives a general synopsis of all the main characters. That might be helpful for someone who hasn't watched the series. My DW has not watched the show, but she wants to go to the movie. I am going to show her that video before we go to the movies.

Thst is precisely why I said it's like going to someone else's family reunion. I suspect this movie is more relationship driven, that about the plot. It's to update us on what's been happening to the Crawley family & servants in the past couple if years. Moreso, than about the King & Queen visiting. If one is a fan of the show, you want to know what happened to all 14+ people. For those that haven't watched the show, the times & customs may be mildly interesting. But, probably not so much as if they already had an emotional investment in the characters.

Actually, it's not really about what happened in-between. Honestly, I felt like it could have been set a week after the end of the final episode rather than two years - nothing has really changed. The interactions and relationships explored through the film that I enjoyed (both romantic and platonic relationships, I should note) all involved pairings of an existing and a new character in each case.

Was it ever on Netflix? I watched all the seasons last year on PBS when I was trapped at home recovering from my hip replacement. I thought it was a very good show.

Was it ever on Netflix? I watched all the seasons last year on PBS when I was trapped at home recovering from my hip replacement. I thought it was a very good show.
The very first season was on Netflix years ago, but was removed and no others were ever added.

The very first season was on Netflix years ago, but was removed and no others were ever added.

Up until recently the whole series was on Netflix in Canada - I didn't realize that wasn't the case in the US. However someone mentioned it's on Prime in the US and I had to buy it on iTunes so my husband could finally watch it.

Up until recently the whole series was on Netflix in Canada - I didn't realize that wasn't the case in the US. However someone mentioned it's on Prime in the US and I had to buy it on iTunes so my husband could finally watch it.

Yes it's on Prime. I binged it about a year ago. One of the best decisions of my life.

We pre-purchased our tickets to see it this weekend (Sunday) with my in-laws in tribute to my late brother-in-law. My husband had about 15 hours worth of episodes to catch up on when I left for work tonight. I'm betting we'll probably burn through most of season 6 on Saturday before my in-laws arrive.

My mother and I went and saw it today. Apparently our theater didn’t feel a recap was necessary since they went straight into the movie...didn’t even have previews now that I think about it.

If you are looking for a way to watch, try DVDs at your local library. I work at a library and, while people have been still checking them out regularly, surprisingly there are not waiting lists for these. I think most people aren't bothering trying to watch or catch up on them given the time commitment.

I haven't watched, but plan to one of these days. THEN I'll watch the movie!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter