Downton Abbey

Turn the Page

DIS Veteran
I never did watch this show but am looking to now. Sadly it isn't on Netflix anymore. Does anyone know where I can watch it online? Hulu maybe?

Also, does anyone know if it is necessary or advisable to have watched the tv series in order to understand the movie that comes out this week?

Thanks for asking this. I've been meaning to watch the series but haven't had time. Was planning to see the movie. I was thinking they'd probably take into account many people like us, lol. Coming to theaters on Sept 20, I think.

it's on amazon prime, and Yes you will have needed to see the show to understand.

My wife and I saw a preview showing on Thursday night. There was a good 8-minute "Previously...on Downton Abbey" that basically went through the major plot points. I had watched the first season, but it was so long ago I forgot basically everything. I was able to understand the movie.

If you want to do any research at all, I suggest reading up on the royal family circa 1927. That's actually where I was the most lost. My one question to my wife after the movie was over was:

"So... WHO was king in 1927???"

Last edited:
I saw a screening last week. They did an 8-minute recap before the movie that pretty much explained everything.

But, wouldn't it be like going to someone else's family reunion and being told a recap of everyone else's life and then being thrust into the whole thing?

My suggestion is to buy a few episodes of the first season to get to know everyone.

Even if one is not an Amazon Prime member, one can buy individual episodes or seasons of Downton Abbey.

HD quality is $2.99 per episode.
$9.99 per season.

Standard quality is $1.99 per episode.
$6.99 per season.

I bought the finale episode of Season 4 the other night. My PBS station has been re-airing some episodes. They hadn't gotten to the finale episode and I wanted to watch it again. Standard quality was fine. :thumbsup2

I'm excited to see the movie. I really enjoyed the series!

I'm sure you'd get something out of the movie, without prior knowledge. But it's impossible to be totally up to speed with 6 seasons in an 8 minute recap. Especially pertaining to the characters personalities more so than events that transpired.

Eh I don't know about that. I think people will be able to enjoy the movie without having seen the show.

I completely agree. They do not, in any way, want to reduce the number of people who can go enjoy this movie. They have created a plot line that has nothing at all to do with any story that has happened during the course of the show. They have purposely set it forward a bit to give the characters time to settle into new routines that we can all learn together when the movie comes out. :)

Any back story we need will be mentioned here or there but I really don't think much backstory will even matter given the plot of the movie. No one needs to know the path anyone took to get to now when what they are focusing on now has nothing to do with their past. :)

As mentioned, Carson coming back is really the only thing that would require a line or two of dialogue to explain. The trailer alone shows us a conversation that likely covers that. :)

But, wouldn't it be like going to someone else's family reunion and being told a recap of everyone else's life and then being thrust into the whole thing?

Isn't that how many movies are? You just jump in to the middle of a bunch of strangers' lives. :) Sometimes there even is an actual reunion, LOL! And many movies have flashbacks, letters, dreams, memories, conversations, photos, etc., etc., etc. that give you bits of info about who the character is and how they got to this place in their life. :)

I really disliked the recap that they showed before the movie. It was incredibly long and it gives away EVERY major spoiler in the series! And very, very little of it actually mattered to the plot of the movie. I wish that they had just given a quick overview of everyone's names and positions - that's really all that would be needed. As it is, I highly recommend waiting to watch the movie until you watch the show or at least step out while they're doing the recap so that you can still go back and enjoy the show unspoiled later. If you really want to see the movie in theaters, I think you'll be able to understand it well enough without the recap.

I agree with the previous comment that looking up the royal family at the time is actually the most important prep to watching the movie, because I had no idea about them and I was a little lost on them.

I can’t imagine they would make a movie with only the original show watchers in mind. They would want as many people to go to it as possible so it will have to be a stand alone film.

However, I did rewatch the entire series as soon as they announced the film.

Show is so terrible. Saw about 5 minutes and realized what I don't like about ...Keeping it clean so they don't ban me again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter