Dopey Shenanigans! A Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend TR (Completed-videos added)

Lots of great shots of you in the last .1 of the half!

Sounds like a relaxing day. Was Peter a special thing for Marathon Weekend? Or is he a random occurrence at BLT? Either way cool find! AKL had Mickey out that weekend in his safari gear so wondering if other resorts did something similar.
I really found the cameras didn't I! :rotfl2:

Peter Pan was at BLT for the Pirates and pals cruise they do on Bay Lake but he was inside due to the cold weather.

Can't wait for your Full Marathon recap. Never realized they did character meet and greets at the hotels like that especially like Peter Pan. Like obviously they have done some in the past for like Halloween, hurricanes, etc. but I guess it was for the marathon or something.

Can't wait for your Full Marathon recap. Never realized they did character meet and greets at the hotels like that especially like Peter Pan. Like obviously they have done some in the past for like Halloween, hurricanes, etc. but I guess it was for the marathon or something.
This was due to the weather and the Pirates and Pals cruise at the Contemporary so it was nice to see him there.

Star Wars march and Toy Soldiers ... so you basically spent the morning watching military maneuvers. Interesting.

That filet looks good. Excellent pre-marathon dinner choice!

By the way ... count me in the "non-napper" group. Who needs naps when they sell Starbucks in the parks?

Star Wars march and Toy Soldiers ... so you basically spent the morning watching military maneuvers. Interesting.

That filet looks good. Excellent pre-marathon dinner choice!

By the way ... count me in the "non-napper" group. Who needs naps when they sell Starbucks in the parks?
Lol! I didn't think of it that way but yes.

It was a very good pre-marathon meal.

I am not a big coffee drinker but I agree!

It's Marathon Time People!

The final early wake up call. The biggest race of them all. It was time to finish this Dopey Challenge! I actually woke up about 10 minutes before my alarm this morning. That nap the day before must have helped ;) Headed off to the monorail and arrived no problem to the race area. I met up with Team Shenanigans first again.

IMG_2401JPG.jpg

It was warmer today even though it may not look like it. After the group photo I headed through and found the Disers. Chatted with some of them for a few minutes and then around 4:15ish I headed off to the corrals. I planned on trying to get to the first wave of G again just like I did for the Half.

IMG_2096JPG.jpg

Corral A was off and the 25th Walt Disney World Marathon was underway!

IMG_2098JPG.jpg

Soon enough it was our turn!

And we were off! First entertainment was a High School band before mile 1.

IMG_2103JPG.jpg

IMG_2104JPG.jpg

Magic Kingdom toll plaza

IMG_2105JPG.jpg

Lightning and Mater were out again and I skipped again.

Launchpad and Scrooge were out but I have gotten them before too.

IMG_2106JPG.jpg

Evil Queen was out in the MK parking lot but I didn't stop. I did think about it though.

Another band at the TTC.

IMG_2107JPG.jpg

IMG_2108JPG.jpg

Into MK we go!!!

IMG_2109JPG.jpg

Who doesn't love an Omnibus early in the morning?

Continued in the next post....

Came into the Magic Kingdom and ran down Main Street again. This never gets old...

IMG_2110JPG.jpg

Buzz was in Tomorrowland but I skipped.

Tweedle Dee and Dum and White Rabbit were by the Teacups but skipped again.

Next I found Team Shenanigans!

IMG_0140JPG.jpg

Moving along... Skipped Sebastian...

We stopped for the step sisters and stepmother next!

26220401_2204907896193361_4556983868640205196_o.jpg

IMG_2399JPG.jpg

This was a really fun stop.

Then through the castle and to the castle picture which I have actually never done.

IMG_0012JPG.jpg

IMG_0103JPG.jpg

IMG_2164JPG.jpg

We got photobombed by Kimberly and Gail from runalltheraces.

Woody was in Frontierland with Jessie I but we skipped.

IMG_2112JPG.jpg

The Maleficent float was out backstage!

26991870_10157005459439829_8992954455056829842_n.jpg

And then it was time to leave the Magic Kingdom and head back to the dreaded Cone Alley...

But first photo with the parade bus!

IMG_2400JPG.jpg

Continued in next post....

IMG_2113JPG.jpg

The Mary Poppins Penguins were out again but skipped them again. Wedding Pavilion Groomsmen were out by the wedding pavilion and of course for the fourth day in a row Tourist Genie was out at the golf course. Poor overworked Genie...

IMG_2114JPG.jpg

Our next stop was the UP characters! The line was long but we didn't care.

IMG_0148JPG.jpg

IMG_2115JPG.jpg

The old ride vehicles were out again this year which is always fun. They even let us inside them!

26240679_2204909299526554_1636525464250182618_o.jpg

IMG_0110JPG.jpg

IMG_0003JPG.jpg

On this road before the waste water treatment plant they had some props on the side of the road but I had no idea where they were from. They also had the always fun Adventurers Club people out.

Just before the treatment plant there was Hades, Pain, and Panic!

26757811_2204907416193409_937222848104675087_o.jpg

IMG_0100JPG.jpg

Then through the fabulous smelling waste water treatment plant!

IMG_2116JPG.jpg

Continued in Next Post...

IMG_2117JPG.jpg

Next was the unpopular out and back before Animal Kingdom. They put a screen showing Disney clips and music at the end... Yay?

Clarabelle was out at the green houses where they grow all the plants for Disney. I got her last year so skipped...

Banana stop! Fuel is always good.

Into Animal Kingdom we go!

IMG_2118JPG.jpg

IMG_2119JPG.jpg

Timon and Rafiki were out as we entered AK but skipped because I had one mission in Animal Kingdom. Ride Everest!

People in line were all worried about the balloon ladies. I assured them we had at least three miles on them as I was tracking them on my phone. It was funny the whole line was runners except for a few random families. They all looked at us like why are you riding this aren't you supposed to be running? I waited about 15 minutes for Everest.

IMG_2120JPG.jpg

IMG_2145JPG.jpg

Never gets old! Riding a roller coaster in the middle of a freaking marathon! I saw @Chris-Mo waiting for @ZellyB as I exited Everest.

Through Dinoland we went and backstage into the Animal Kingdom Parking lot. I had lost my Team Shenanigans peeps at this point.

IMG_2121JPG.jpg

Out of Animal Kingdom the Haunted Mansion Gravediggers were in the parking lot. Lots of spectators were along the parking lot area of the course.

Then it was time to head towards ESPN Wide World of Sports. People hate this portion of the course. It's not terrible for me but it isn't a highlight either. But first we had a couple miles on the roads.

IMG_2122JPG.jpg

IMG_2123JPG.jpg

They had some random streetmosphere around here. It was weird like 70s hippies or something.

IMG_2124JPG.jpg

Pluto with a giant T-Rex skull that he "dug" up was over here.

Into ESPN Wide World of Sports we go!

IMG_2125JPG.jpg

Soccer Minnie was out by the soccer fields. Goofy was on the Track as well but I skipped both.

IMG_2126JPG.jpg

I ended up seeing @MommaoffherRocker right around here. It was nice to see her during the race.

Next was running into the baseball stadium. Mickey and Donald in baseball uniforms were out before that as well as Joy and Sadness. No stops again.

While running through the stadium they said my name on the loud speaker which was cool.

IMG_2529JPG.jpg

IMG_2531JPG.jpg

IMG_2127JPG.jpg

Continuing on...

IMG_2128JPG.jpg

We headed out of ESPN Wide World of Sports. You could see the balloon ladies and buses on the road going into the WWoS. I have never seen them during a race before. I was about 4-5 miles ahead of them so I wasn't worried at all. It was time to head into DHS!

Sarge was out on the overpass as encouragement. That's probably the worst "hill" of the marathon course.

IMG_2130JPG.jpg

You got a good view of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge construction from here.

IMG_2129JPG.jpg

IMG_2131JPG.jpg

We headed into DHS near the back of Tower of Terror. The chocolate stop is also here. I went for some M&Ms.

IMG_2132JPG.jpg

Oswald was out near here as well. I should have stopped but I didn't. I just kept trucking along...

Were the rides only open for the full or do they turn them on for any of the half marathons?

We headed down Sunset Boulevard. As I am running I see this lady and a little kid on an ECV. This lady looks like she wants to cross the street. Disney sets up specific crosswalks for people to do so. Obviously this lady didn't want to do that she wanted to cross right there. All of the sudden she yells to the kid NOW GO! She zooms across the race course with plenty of runners around. She thankfully didn't hit anyone but seriously she could have really hurt someone. So PSA - Please use the crosswalks!

IMG_2535JPG.jpg

IMG_2532JPG.jpg

Out of DHS we went. We turned left and continued on the walkway to the Boardwalk.

IMG_2133JPG.jpg

We then head backstage to our final water stop of the course. Just over a mile to go! We enter World Showcase in the UK.

IMG_2536JPG.jpg

Mile 25 spectacular... So there was an "announcement" put of that the Mile 25 marker was going to be a big special photo op. Well it was kind of I guess? It was just a banner showing the medal you would be getting in 1.2 miles.

IMG_2134JPG.jpg

Through World Showcase we went. They had some characters in the countries but I didn't stop. I was hoping to find Team Shenanigans in Mexico at the Margarita stop but I didn't... Oh well onto the finish!

IMG_2135JPG.jpg

The ever great finish line Gospel Choir was out! They are really great at the finish.

There she is!

IMG_2136JPG.jpg

IMG_2542JPG.jpg

IMG_2147JPG.jpg

I am a marathoner for the second time!

Continued in the Next Post...

I'd be lying if I said I didn't tear up at the finish. 6 months of training and everything it was over. I accomplished what I set out to do.

I also loved the surprise at the end! Mickey ears!!!

IMG_2137JPG.jpg

IMG_2138JPG.jpg

IMG_2140JPG.jpg

IMG_2139JPG.jpg

IMG_2548JPG.jpg

After finishing I originally set out to get in line for Dopey. When I got in line they told us it was an 80-90 minute wait. I stayed in line for about 5 minutes and then decided nope I can't do this. I went to Mickey instead which was about 20 minutes. I really wish I would have gotten Dopey but 80 minutes wasn't worth it.

26230823_10210170240363882_2224604544112655493_n.jpg

Final thoughts on the marathon and challenge overall. My biggest reason for coming back and running the Dopey Challenge was to actually complete it unlike last year when the half was cancelled. I really do love these races even though I and others criticize them. I will never rule out running them again. This race will always be my first marathon and that can't change. I have other marathon goals but this race remains my favorite. I will be back for sure to run the marathon in the future. In all honesty the worst part for me at least of the Dopey Challenge is getting up 4 days in a row. I don't mind the running so much. I will run that challenge again at some point as well. Whether someone runs the 5K, 10K, Half, Full, Goofy, or Dopey they are all an accomplishment and are all amazing feats for people. I will forever remember these moments.

Up Next: You just completed a marathon... Lets go to the parks!

Were the rides only open for the full or do they turn them on for any of the half marathons?
Rides are only open during park hours so the marathon is the only chance you get to ride anything because you are in the parks after they open.

Congratulations on completing the marathon and the challenge! That's amazing! I don't know if I'll ever be able to do that.

Who are the balloon people you were talking about?

Congrats! Hooray for you! Great recap! It’s been following along! Looking forward to reading about how you celebrated!

Congratulations on completing the marathon and the challenge! That's amazing! I don't know if I'll ever be able to do that.

Who are the balloon people you were talking about?

Thank you! The balloon ladies are the pacers who mark the 16 minute per mile pace. They walk/run with balloons so you know who they are. If you fall behind them you run the risk of being pulled off the course and do not finish.

Congrats! Hooray for you! Great recap! It’s been following along! Looking forward to reading about how you celebrated!

Thanks! Celebration coming up soon!

Congrats Ryan. All the races looked like tons of fun. You also have a very nice collection of medals to showcase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter