Donut Dangling in the Pirates of the Caribbean Cobwebs? - POPE DONUT! - Little Known Disney Trivia

My favorite PotC story is the fact that when the ride was being inspected prior to opening to guests, the Anaheim Fire Chief freaked out over the "realness" of the scene and required installation of additional safety equipment, since he stated that it was so realistic and folks couldn't easily tell if it was truly on fire.

But then there are a lot of great stories, many of which have been covered by David Koenig. My favorite story about David was the first time we met, he didn't know my face, so when we started to talk, and found out who I was, he was like "Oh my Gosh, you are awesome"... Which of course made my day decades ago. (And my wife (then just recent girlfriend was totally shocked at the reaction), but it took her a long time to get use to folks coming up to me out of the blue asking if I was "Darkbeer" and how they reacted when I said yes.....

As for doing research, I am well known for getting down to the fact that Walt Disney said that Opening day of Disneyland was Monday, July 18th, 1955. And after they officially retired, having both Bob Gurr and Tim O'Day publicly stating that is the correct history, and the date was moved after Walt passed on.

https://darkbeer.smugmug.com/Theme-Parks/Disneyland-Historical/

And I do have to thank the staff at the MUZEO for allowing me special access to the "vault".

So if you like that sort of information, I recommend buying David Koenig's books, he got a hold of a lot of great stories over the decades.

Ok. We rode this tonight (somewhat skeptical searching for it) and wouldn't you know it - BAM - there it was.

It is best visible when your boat immediately enters. Our family of 5 all spotted it at the same time.

Here is where I'm going to say I totally bought in to the Disney Glazed Donut on Pirates of the Caribbean myth. Supposedly a cast member stuck a glazed donut up on the cobwebs on the ride and it was never removed. I will say that there have been shenanigans with props introduced like the lightsaber which used to be in the barrel of swords. I've got some photographic verification of this. I've never remembered to look for the donut before, but I did make sure to this time. And behold:

DSC_3599%20(Large).jpg

Wait.... that isn't a donut..

DSC_3599_zoom%20(Large).jpg

That is decidedly a carved flask. A quick google of carved donut flask and what do I find?

http://www.icollector.com/Two-Deepl...der-Flasks-and-a-Donut-Shaped-Flask_i15827418

15827418_1%20(Large).jpg

Yep... one in the same. I wonder if Disney was the purchaser, or if it was a common piece because that auction listing seems pricey for set dressing.

Here is where I'm going to say I totally bought in to the Disney Glazed Donut on Pirates of the Caribbean myth. Supposedly a cast member stuck a glazed donut up on the cobwebs on the ride and it was never removed. I will say that there have been shenanigans with props introduced like the lightsaber which used to be in the barrel of swords. I've got some photographic verification of this. I've never remembered to look for the donut before, but I did make sure to this time. And behold:

DSC_3599%20(Large).jpg

That is decidedly a carved flask. A quick google of carved donut flask and what do I find?

http://www.icollector.com/Two-Deepl...der-Flasks-and-a-Donut-Shaped-Flask_i15827418

15827418_1%20(Large).jpg

Yep... one in the same. I wonder if Disney was the purchaser, or if it was a common piece because that auction listing seems pricey for set dressing.

They replaced it! :sad: I wonder why? No more glazed donut... I'm a little sad about that!

I love how about 85% of the Disneyland "trivia" you find in books and in online lists are just made-up stories that get repeated enough until they are true, like this donut thing. You can just invent any trivia you want and start repeating it online, and in about 5 years it will appear in a new book that somebody has written. The more specifics you can add, the more likely that the story will catch on.

Did you know that Walt's original vision for the "Halloween Tree" was to have animatronic ghosts that would interact with guests standing near the tree? The plans were scrapped because J. Boone Toroson, the president of a Texas bank that was a major lender to early Disneyland, was very superstitious. Toroson threatened to pull of his bank's loans if Walt did not scrap the ghost plan, so Walt did so. This is the same reason that the opening of the Haunted Mansion was delayed so long: Disney wanted to wait until J. Boone Toroson died before putting ghosts into the park.

This story reminds me of the "Little Man in Disneyland" story, awesome things to watch out for while visiting.....
and reasons to keep visiting even tho' I keep telling the family we are DONE. - Doh!

DSC_3599%20(Large).jpg

15827418_1%20(Large).jpg

I love how about 85% of the Disneyland "trivia" you find in books and in online lists are just made-up stories that get repeated enough until they are true, like this donut thing. You can just invent any trivia you want and start repeating it online, and in about 5 years it will appear in a new book that somebody has written. The more specifics you can add, the more likely that the story will catch on.

Did you know that Walt's original vision for the "Halloween Tree" was to have animatronic ghosts that would interact with guests standing near the tree? The plans were scrapped because J. Boone Toroson, the president of a Texas bank that was a major lender to early Disneyland, was very superstitious. Toroson threatened to pull of his bank's loans if Walt did not scrap the ghost plan, so Walt did so. This is the same reason that the opening of the Haunted Mansion was delayed so long: Disney wanted to wait until J. Boone Toroson died before putting ghosts into the park.

I was just going to say, there definitely was a glazed donut during some point of the ride - it was shiny and smooth just like a glazed donut. You could never photograph it well, but it was very visible to the naked eye. Well, turns out not! I was looking through high quality Youtube videos to see. One from 2013 shows the "donut" with something sticking out of the side, just like the one in the pic above!! It's funny how the eyes can play tricks. The texture appears smooth in real life and you don't see the details until looking through pictures or video. I was so sure! By the way, @whoever - fantastic picture! I don't think I've ever seen such a high quality pic in Pirates!

Now the real question.... what purpose does a donut flask serve? lol

I was just going to say, there definitely was a glazed donut during some point of the ride - it was shiny and smooth just like a glazed donut. You could never photograph it well, but it was very visible to the naked eye. Well, turns out not! I was looking through high quality Youtube videos to see. One from 2013 shows the "donut" with something sticking out of the side, just like the one in the pic above!! It's funny how the eyes can play tricks. The texture appears smooth in real life and you don't see the details until looking through pictures or video. I was so sure! By the way, @whoever - fantastic picture! I don't think I've ever seen such a high quality pic in Pirates!
Amazing what an 85mm - f/1.4 lens on a full-frame body can capture. ;)

Now the real question.... what purpose does a donut flask serve? lol
It's a powder flask, its hanging next to the muskets. That's where the pirates left their weapons before they started drinking.

This story reminds me of the "Little Man in Disneyland" story, awesome things to watch out for while visiting.....
and reasons to keep visiting even tho' I keep telling the family we are DONE. - Doh!

We had a lot of fun finding his home last month! Especially when another little girl around 8 had fun with my daughter who is 6.
My daughter kept knocking on his door convinced he might answer. The little girl would "knock back" on the other side of the tree. This went on for some time. My daughter was amazed that he was knocking back at her. So excited!

Amy has told me that I'm a "big fat ruiner" for exposing the truth of the matter.

I'm actually glad you explained this. A few months ago I looked for that darn donut and didn't see anything. lol So, thank you!

Since this thread was posted, I have looked for the donut whenever I have been on the ride and never saw it. After the post about it being a flask, I decided to look for it while riding on Sunday, and wouldn't you know, it totally stood out to me and was very easy to see/find. Too funny.

Since this thread was posted, I have looked for the donut whenever I have been on the ride and never saw it. After the post about it being a flask, I decided to look for it while riding on Sunday, and wouldn't you know, it totally stood out to me and was very easy to see/find. Too funny.
And once you find it, you can never unsee it. It is there staring at you and taunting you as you come up to it on the ride!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter