Dog question

aceys_h0ney

DIS Veteran
Hi all,
We are taking our first trip to the Fort next year. We plan on bringing at least one of our dogs, she is a little over a year old now and well behaved. The one thing I am unsure about is how she will be when we are in the theme parks. Since she is young we still crate her when we are not home so she has been alone I believe for a max of about 6 hours before. I don't think she is noisy at all, none of my neighbors have ever heard her barking while we are gone but I'm worried she might bark while we are at the theme parks. Would someone from Disney let us know if it's a problem? I don't want to be rude campers with a loud dog and not really sure how to test it lol. She's been camping with us several times and likes it fine, she occasionally barks at other dogs (she wants to play not aggressive barking) but we've never really left her alone at our campsite. I know the kennel is avaliable so I can use that as a fall back plan if she is too loud, if they don't require advanced reservations. Please forgive the silly question I just sit around and think of this kind of stuff.

Ours is about that age & we leave the a/c blower going & sometimes the TV, so she won't hear strange noises & start barking.

That aside, if she barks while you are away, unless your neighbors complain directly to you, you probably won't know.

You could "leave" a few times. Step outside walk away and come back and see if he/she is barking. Pull the shades, leave on some music/tv and hopefully all will be well.

Oh brilliant idea about music or TV. I didn't even think of that! She actually likes to watch TV so it might help keep her happy and not notice outside noises.

Everybody in the same boat, we don't mind if there is some barking, goes with the territory. We don't do anything different with our dog then at home. She will find a spot in the coach as a favorite and sleep for hrs. We worry more about fire or air condition. We had an auto start for the generator installed and we installed smoke/heat dectors that send signal to all at the same time. We put one outside the coach for people to hear. We have a sign with our cell #. Have fun and don't worry, pet(s) will work it out.

we always ask our neighbors if the dogs were bothering them while we were gone. normal response is "no". we just let the neighbors know that we don't want to be the headache of their vacation so if there is a problem that they can tell us. we do the tv for our dogs.

we were pulling the shades down. but, one of them has learned he can pull the shade to the side to look out. hence, damaging the shade. so, we leave the shades open and plug in a no bark thing. when there is a noise (like a bark) i high pitch emits. almost like a smoke alarm. only you can put this on silence so the dogs only hear it. we have 4 dogs and after the fourth came into the house we started having the barking issues. so, this works for us.

granted once we return they just go crazy and we can't do anything to get them to quiet down other than give them a couple minutes of excited barking and then they settle down.

i think you'll be fine.

Our dogs are crated as well. We always leave the tv on and either the ac or just the fan if it's cold. That way they don't hear anything. We've never had any complaints, so I guess all was fine.

Thanks for helping put my mind at ease. I think I am so nervous about this because the dog that will have to stay at home is a lousy camper. She was asked to leave a campground once because she was so loud and that was with us present with her. We have 4 dogs and Miss loud mouth and her sister will have to stay home, they can't be seperated and she doesn't behave while camping. I tried several times, she is just a good ole city dog. My 3rd dog is the best camper I've ever seen and our newest edition (the one I posted this about) seems to do fine so far, but I think I am haunted by the embarrassment of being asked to remove my dog from a campground lol.

Last time we were at FW after we set up we took off in our golf cart to loop a little. We have a poodle that is well traveled but for some reason he went crazy whenever he couldn't see out the window. He tore down the blinds and was scratching on the window whenever we drove back up.

There was a lady outside our camper that had gathered a crowd for us ( wasn't that nice of her).:mic: About that time my dh cell phone goes off and it's FW front desk asking us to "please return to our camper because our dog was trying to get out". We were already there so no big deal.

The only thing about the situtation that got my goat was that there is a notice on my camper door that states " in case of emergency please call #".
The lady could have just as easy called us direct instead of calling security.
Oh well, we just forced a smile and thanked the lady and all's well that ends well.pluto:

But to answer your question they will call you, but it won't be a hostile call just a call to let you know to return. Most folk though are ok with a barking dog, I know my neighbor's dog( a big fat baby lab..lol ) at FW barked and cryed his head off but we understood and after about the third day the doggie got use to it and seemed to be ok.

You can't worry about everything just go and have fun. Oh ya by the way we now have a RV with a HUGE window so everyone's happy.

I know I posted this awhile ago but just wanted to update. We've had the dog in question camping several times already this summer and she is really maturing. I don't have any doubts that she will be fine and not get us evicted. She barked more the first few times and now she only barks when she is excited to meet a new dog on walks. I'm very pleased since I was so worried about her. We just spent 10 nights camping in several different sites throughout Michigan and she was a champ.

I like that you were concerned enough to ask, and then test camp to make sure your pooch met your standards. I'm sure he will do just fine, nice to see folks that care!

Thank you!

Don't get the erroneous impression that everyone will be glad you brought your dog...Be prepard to take it to the kennel if need be.

If I may suggest one more thing-we, too, traveled/camped a lot with our last dog (she died about a year and a half ago), and although we never did this anyplace else we camped, I always took several phone numbers of vets with me when camping at Disney, since when we camped there, it tended to be for fairly long periods of time. And, wouldn't you know it, about six years ago, our dog needed stitches when she caught her skin on the RV door. And, I don't mean stitches, I mean STITCHES, as in, the vet stopped counting at one hundred stitches. The whole incident was traumatic, BUT having those vet phone numbers was a life saver. The first vet I called refused to see us, but the second said to come on over. We made it to their office in about fifteen minutes, and they were great. Even called us once we got home to see how our dog was. Sorry, I can't remember the vet's name, since I threw things out when our dog died, but they were in the Sea World area.

You can always bring your dog with you and leave them in the camper, and if you're going to be gone all day, Best Friends does offer half day and full day day boarding for your dog.

we always ask our neighbors if the dogs were bothering them while we were gone. normal response is "no". we just let the neighbors know that we don't want to be the headache of their vacation so if there is a problem that they can tell us. we do the tv for our dogs.

we were pulling the shades down. but, one of them has learned he can pull the shade to the side to look out. hence, damaging the shade. so, we leave the shades open and plug in a no bark thing. when there is a noise (like a bark) i high pitch emits. almost like a smoke alarm. only you can put this on silence so the dogs only hear it. we have 4 dogs and after the fourth came into the house we started having the barking issues. so, this works for us.

granted once we return they just go crazy and we can't do anything to get them to quiet down other than give them a couple minutes of excited barking and then they settle down.

i think you'll be fine.

Could you share more info about this product. What is it called? Where can I get one? How much does it cost?

I know I posted this awhile ago but just wanted to update. We've had the dog in question camping several times already this summer and she is really maturing. I don't have any doubts that she will be fine and not get us evicted. She barked more the first few times and now she only barks when she is excited to meet a new dog on walks. I'm very pleased since I was so worried about her. We just spent 10 nights camping in several different sites throughout Michigan and she was a champ.

We just got back from camping in MI as well! First time I had ever been there. It was really pretty but the bugs tried to carry us away!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter