• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dog food for finicky toy breed

No, I would not solely trust a breeder regarding nutrition for any dog. I would trust a board certified nutritionist and peer reviewed research.
I didn't say "solely". I don't think you can really trust any one source solely when talking about living beings who don't always fit the same mold even when similar. I've had numerous instances with my dogs over the years where *I* was the one to figure out answers to our problems, and I could say the same for myself and my family with some of our own human health issues, too. But what I meant is that a good breeder should have a very good understanding of nuances of the breed and one should be able to use that source as at least one of other resources, as they are presumably up to date on many of the most important issues with the breed, and dogs in general - certainly difficult feeding issues in their own puppies, as they've nurtured them for at least eight weeks!

Interesting about hypoglycemia. I will have to research that. You'd think, from an evolution standpoint, that dogs who get hypoglycemia if they don't eat for a while would've become extinct pretty quickly.

Evolution didn’t do this. Breeders did.

I haven’t read through the whole thread but I have a toy breed dog and I may have missed it but what are you feeding the dog? I would get wet food in addition to make sure they are eating. Also I would have treats too bc at least you’re getting something in them. Hypoglycemia is a major issues in puppy toy breeds. The breeder told us to wake the puppy to make sure she’s eating enough.

The puppy went to our family vet yesterday and there is a gastrointestinal infection, high white blood cell count, dehydration, and low blood sugar. So they treated her via IV until they closed, then we transported her to an overnight clinic where they continued care. They closed at 8AM when I transferred her to another vet that the overnight clinic recommended and several friends. In fact, it is the same vet clinic that did her puppy check-up before we adopted her.. Vet who took her in was the son not the dad. But the clinic comes highly rated. He is continuing care and observation until 5PM when I will return and find out the rest of the plan. She has shown some symptoms of focal seizures as well.

By the way, she is a toy, not a teacup (someone posted teacup). She was part of a litter of seven. I spoke to a woman who adopted one of the sister's the same time we adopted ours (we exchanged contact info at that time) to see how her pup is doing. She had an appointment with the same vet we went to today scheduled for tomorrow, but she plans to take her pup in today based on what is going on with mine. Her pup isn't displaying the same symptoms, but she wants to be careful and get her checked as soon as possible. In fact, we spent a couple hours deciding between these two. Sister was 4 pounds. Of the seven, only 3 or 4 were the toy size (which is based on weight). I also have a 14 year old Maltese (12 pounds) and 12 year old Morkie (Maltese / Yorkie) (9 pounds) and adopted them as little pups as well. We didn't have these issues and they have never refused food.

If all goes well, we will bring her home tonight and the vet mentioned giving her prescription food and making it into a slushie texture and feeding her with a syringe if she doesn't eat on her own. He said feedings every 2-3 hours until she has fully recovered. At 8AM this morning she weighed 2.6 pounds. This is how I have always written weights (I have four kids too), perhaps it is a military thing as we also tend to write dates differently. I have been asked if I was military based on how I sometimes write a date on paperwork. It is also the same format that is on the puppy's paperwork from the vet but I suppose they put the # sign up front might make a difference for ya'll. I didn't see that to be such as big deal as it seemed to be on this thread since it is obvious to me and others in my group chats I have been posting in.

A Cavachon is a mix breed. Dad was a Cavalier King Charles and mom was a Bichon Frise.

ETA: I read my OP and it has the word POUNDS after the weight. So I am clueless on how ya'll got into that debate.

All three vets says Nutro is a good brand choice. The emergency overnight clinic vet even stated that it was a good brand and she has never had any dogs come into her clinic with issues with with Nutro.

Last edited:
I mean, I’m no math wiz but 2.11kg is less than 2.70kg, no? (ETA: I misread your “less” as “more.” Ignore that question.) I agree that if the OP meant to put the weights in pounds and ounces then yes, the dog has lost weight. I just know that all of my scales give decimal readings as did the scales we used in veterinary medicine and the OP wrote her dog’s weight as such, so I assumed that’s what she meant. I wish the OP would come back and clarify, as well as answer my earlier questions about the dog’s age.

The dog is two months old. I didn't see you ask that earlier.

The puppy went to our family vet yesterday and there is a gastrointestinal infection, high white blood cell count, dehydration, and low blood sugar. So they treated her via IV until they closed, then we transported her to an overnight clinic where they continued care. They closed at 8AM when I transferred her to another vet that the overnight clinic recommended and several friends. In fact, it is the same vet clinic that did her puppy check-up before we adopted her.. Vet who took her in was the son not the dad. But the clinic comes highly rated. He is continuing care and observation until 5PM when I will return and find out the rest of the plan. She has shown some symptoms of focal seizures as well.

If all goes well, we will bring her home tonight and the vet mentioned giving her prescription food and making it into a slushie texture and feeding her with a syringe if she doesn't eat on her own. He said feedings every 2-3 hours until she has fully recovered. At 8AM this morning she weighed 2.6 pounds. This is how I have always written weights (I have four kids too), perhaps it is a military thing as we also tend to write dates differently. I have been asked if I was military based on how I sometimes write a date on paperwork. It is also the same format that is on the puppy's paperwork from the vet but I suppose they put the # sign up front might make a difference for ya'll. I didn't see that to be such as big deal as it seemed to be on this thread since it is obvious to me and others in my group chats I have been posting in.
Good grief! I'm sorry this is happening to your little pup. :flower3: Will keep her in my prayers!

By the way, she is a toy, not a teacup (someone posted teacup). She was part of a litter of seven. I spoke to a woman who adopted one of the sister's the same time we adopted ours (we exchanged contact info at that time) to see how her pup is doing. She had an appointment with the same vet we went to today scheduled for tomorrow, but she plans to take her pup in today based on what is going on with mine. Her pup isn't displaying the same symptoms, but she wants to be careful and get her checked as soon as possible. In fact, we spent a couple hours deciding between these two. Sister was 4 pounds. Of the seven, only 3 or 4 were the toy size (which is based on weight). I also have a 14 year old Maltese (12 pounds) and 12 year old Morkie (Maltese / Yorkie) (9 pounds) and adopted them as little pups as well. We didn't have these issues and they have never refused food.

A Cavachon is a mix breed. Dad was a Cavalier King Charles and mom was a Bichon Frise.
I realize it's semantics, but just to clarify here, the dog came from a breeder, is that correct?

I hate to say it but it sounds like they did not provide a healthy dog to you. This is going to cost quite a bit when all is said and done, and hopefuly the dog makes it. All of these issues are quite concerning, especially the seizures. Is the breeder aware of what's going on? I wonder if the puppies were properly cared for prior to their sale.

She vomited the egg as well. But that is not important now that she has been with a vet since noon yesterday.

You have a very sick puppy. I feel awful for her.

It sounds like you are doing a good job getting her care but I'm confused about something, you took her back to the vet that said she was healthy enough to go home?

ETA: I read my OP and it has the word POUNDS after the weight. So I am clueless on how ya'll got into that debate.
The confusion came from you saying that the dog had lost weight by going from 2.11 to 2.7 pounds when those numbers would mean a GAIN of 0.59 pounds. So people were speculating that you might have meant to write the weights in pounds and ounces, which is the only way those numbers would show a weight loss.

Fingers crossed that your little one makes a full recovery. :flower3:

I hope she recovers quickly and fully!

This is how I have always written weights (I have four kids too), perhaps it is a military thing as we also tend to write dates differently. I have been asked if I was military based on how I sometimes write a date on paperwork. It is also the same format that is on the puppy's paperwork from the vet but I suppose they put the # sign up front might make a difference for ya'll. I didn't see that to be such as big deal as it seemed to be on this thread since it is obvious to me and others in my group chats I have been posting in

I think you’re not getting what people were asking for clarification about. We knew it was pounds but weren’t sure if you really meant 2 pounds 11 ounces or 2.11 pounds. Those are two completely different numbers.

2 pounds 11 ounces is really 2.68 pounds not 2.11 pounds.

If you really meant 2 pounds 11 ounces, then the dog lost weight but if you meant 2.11 pounds then the dog had gained weight. When you’re talking about a dog that small a half a pound is significant so that’s why people were trying to clarify if he had actually gained or lost.

The puppy went to our family vet yesterday and there is a gastrointestinal infection, high white blood cell count, dehydration, and low blood sugar. So they treated her via IV until they closed...

I’m so sorry your pup is sick, but glad you got her into the vet and now know what is going on! Illness was my first thought when I read your original post. Healthy puppies are hungry! I’ll be thinking good thoughts for this little girl, the tiny ones are so fragile.

I’m sure the vet will give you feeding instructions when she comes home, but with dogs who have been sick or had anesthesia or have upset tummies, I shred a little plain boiled chicken, mix it with a little rice, and moisten well with chicken broth. (I do dog rescue, so deal with this fairly often. Somebody is ALWAYS being treated for something or being spayed or neutered and feeling those anesthesia after effects!)

Once she is better, you can try pouring a little chicken broth on her dry food if she is not eating well. That softens it and makes it smell good.

She sounds adorable, and I hope she feels better soon!

How large is the kibble of the current food you are feeding? The kibble may be too large for the pup to chew. Look for a puppy food with small kibble pieces. Also, so it is still a young puppy, try moistening the puppy food with some warm water. When we were transitioning puppies over to kibble, we started with baby rice cereal with a small amount of kibble added. Wellness is a good brand of dog food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter