Dog food for finicky toy breed

You need to look at the science and research that goes into these food and not just succumb to marketing ploys.

Most brands like Primal are not nutritionally complete and balanced when independently tested.

A *healthy* dog will not be found dead in front of a bowl of food. A toy breed puppy can be challenging in that hypoglycemia is a real risk and she may not be all that healthy right now if she’s vomiting as well, but in general, do not succumb to the “she needs x, y, and z added to her food to get her to eat”. Or “she won’t eat that food, I tried it”.

Get your nutritional questions answered from your vet. If they don’t know the answer, they at least have reliable resources to refer you to, like a boarded nutritionist. Not your trainer. Not your breeder. Not the internet. Not marketing. Not the guy at the pet food store. Good life lessons in general regarding pets.
In general, you don't think a good breeder knows about nutrition for their breed? I would have to disagree there. My dog's breeder has 30+ years experience breeding and many years of ownership before that. We share ideas and I have questions for her all the time. Now if we're talking a fly by night breeder, then yes, I'd agree. But a very good breeder should have reliable information on their particular dogs.

Interesting about hypoglycemia. I will have to research that. You'd think, from an evolution standpoint, that dogs who get hypoglycemia if they don't eat for a while would've become extinct pretty quickly.

a *healthy* dog will not be found dead in front of a bowl of food.

Not a ton of experience with intact male dogs I take it-mine food strike if the Chesapeake Retriever ***** on the next block is in season....

OP have you considered fresh foods? I feed a mixed diet and use both Natures instinct Signature frozen and Fresh Pet Vital along with freeze dried, kibble, raw and some fruits and veg. I would try this puppy on a frozen raw product ( Natures Instinct or primal) or the Fresh Pet Vital. Both are available at PetSmart and are quality foods. If you are selecting a dry food-many people are not comfortable with raw or fresh and that's fine, you should do what is best for you and your dog working with your vet-but please be sure that legumes are not in the first five ingredients. The fad for grain free diets has had wide spread health implications due to the inclusion of too many legumes in dogs diets.

Okay there is a ton of weirdness going on with that last post-tried quoting someone else and wound up with my text in the quote and can not remove it...

Okay there is a ton of weirdness going on with that last post-tried quoting someone else and wound up with my text in the quote and can not remove it...
There have been issues here it seems lately, especially w the edit function.
Try putting the [/Quote] at the end of the words you were trying to quote.

In general, you don't think a good breeder knows about nutrition for their breed? I would have to disagree there. My dog's breeder has 30+ years experience breeding and many years of ownership before that. We share ideas and I have questions for her all the time. Now if we're talking a fly by night breeder, then yes, I'd agree. But a very good breeder should have reliable information on their particular dogs.

But is a Cavachon a breed? :rolleyes1

Interesting about hypoglycemia. I will have to research that. You'd think, from an evolution standpoint, that dogs who get hypoglycemia if they don't eat for a while would've become extinct pretty quickly.
From an evolution standpoint a Cavachon wouldn’t exist. It’s a huge issue with these teacups breeds and they can go downhill and die very quickly. A two pound puppy cannot be left with a bowl of food and just be trusted to eat when he gets hungry enough. The owner needs to be actively encouraging and monitoring his food intake.

ETA: OP, it’s a good idea to have Karo syrup on hand in case of a hypoglycemic event. If you need to use it, give orally (or rub it on the dog’s gums if the dog is unresponsive) and then get her to a vet immediately.

From an evolution standpoint a Cavachon wouldn’t exist. It’s a huge issue with these teacups breeds and they can go downhill and die very quickly. A two pound puppy cannot be left with a bowl of food and just be trusted to eat when he gets hungry enough. The owner needs to be actively encouraging and monitoring his food intake.

ETA: OP, it’s a good idea to have Karo syrup on hand in case of a hypoglycemic event. If you need to use it, give orally (or rub it on the dog’s gums if the dog is unresponsive) and then get her to a vet immediately.
Yes. What I read today from veterinary sites is that this is a human-created problem (so not surprised). Dogs weren't meant to be that small, but were bred that way due to human interest, and some of their physiology has suffered because of it. I don't think I would care to live with a dog that is so high maintenance in that regard.

Yes. What I read today from veterinary sites is that this is a human-created problem (so not surprised). Dogs weren't meant to be that small, but were bred that way due to human interest, and some of their physiology has suffered because of it. I don't think I would care to live with a dog that is so high maintenance in that regard.

I have a toy breed. We got him at 10 weeks and he was around 2lbs. I was not warned about about hypoglycemia. Nor was it an issue. He's almost 10 now and a rolly polly 5.8 pounds. I would not classify him as high maintenance except for maybe his teeth. But I believe that's common issue with many small dogs as well as toy breeds.

I also have his 'sister', same breed. We got her when she was returned to the breeder at 8. :headache: Now she's 13. Again, only issue is with her is her teeth.

They're both healthy little buggers.

I have a toy breed. We got him at 10 weeks and he was around 2lbs. I was not warned about about hypoglycemia. Nor was it an issue. He's almost 10 now and a rolly polly 5.8 pounds. I would not classify him as high maintenance except for maybe his teeth. But I believe that's common issue with many small dogs as well as toy breeds.

I also have his 'sister', same breed. We got her when she was returned to the breeder at 8. :headache: Now she's 13. Again, only issue is with her is her teeth.

They're both healthy little buggers.
Yes, as I said, the toy breed we watch is fine (although he has a lot of behavioral quirks but I think those are owner driven) and I see a lot of others who seem to be no problem, either. But having to feed a puppy four times a day to prevent hypoglycemia and keeping Karo syrup on hand just in case, to me, is high maintenance. I deal with people with hypoglycemia and it can be deadly - usually that happens in people who take insulin, not because their bodies cannot regulate metabolism like with these toy breeds. ETA, I mean, what happens if the dog doesn't eat and you have to go out?

Last edited:
Yes, as I said, the toy breed we watch is fine (although he has a lot of behavioral quirks but I think those are owner driven) and I see a lot of others who seem to be no problem, either. But having to feed a puppy four times a day to prevent hypoglycemia and keeping Karo syrup on hand just in case, to me, is high maintenance. I deal with people with hypoglycemia and it can be deadly.

Me too but I don't think it's normal either. Or 5 different kinds of food, or vitamin paste. I've never heard of either those either.

Me too but I don't think it's normal either. Or 5 different kinds of food, or vitamin paste. I've never heard of either those either.
You may not have seen my ETA above, but what happens if the dog doesn't eat but you have to go out? Come home to a comatose puppy? I'd be worried the whole time I was out!

You may not have seen my ETA above, but what happens if the dog doesn't eat but you have to go out? Come home to a comatose puppy? I'd be worried the whole time I was out!

I can't say. That wasn't my experience with a tiny dog. Mine ate just fine. He did need to be feed 3 times a day but that's standard for all puppies. I do wonder about this particular puppy because of the mention about all the different kinds of food that were sent home with her. Seems wherever she came from knew she had feeding issues? :confused3 I'm hoping the OP will add more detail about her and her history.

But I do agree with you that this particular dog seems to be high maintenance. Hopefully, as she grows and settles in that will change.

2.7 is more than half a pound heavier than 2.11. While there might be some variation between scales, that still indicates a significant gain for a dog who weighs less than 3 pounds.

I’d recommend weighing her on a baby scale for accuracy purposes.
I read this as 2lbs and 11oz, then lost weight to 2lbs and 7oz.? Using metric I would agree, but imperial usually isn't divided by decimals 2.11KG is less than 2.7KG.

I read this as 2lbs and 11oz, then lost weight to 2lbs and 7oz.? Using metric I would agree, but imperial usually isn't divided by decimals 2.11KG is less than 2.7KG.
There are so many questions on this thread. This is one. The dog's history is another. And what is human grade food?

In terms of the DCM (dilated cardiomyopathy, or an enlarged heart) that is something that does cause heart failure, which is what some posters have been saying, in terms of grain free food.

I mean, I’m no math wiz but 2.11kg is less than 2.70kg, no? (ETA: I misread your “less” as “more.” Ignore that question.) I agree that if the OP meant to put the weights in pounds and ounces then yes, the dog has lost weight. I just know that all of my scales give decimal readings as did the scales we used in veterinary medicine and the OP wrote her dog’s weight as such, so I assumed that’s what she meant. I wish the OP would come back and clarify, as well as answer my earlier questions about the dog’s age.

Last edited:

Yeah, we pretty much messed up evolution, natural selection, and survival of the fittest for just about every living thing on this planet!

No, I would not solely trust a breeder regarding nutrition for any dog. I would trust a board certified nutritionist and peer reviewed research.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!