• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you watch regular TV or streaming services more?

We watch YouTube TV most of the time so I guess it's technically streaming even though we're watching network stations most of the time. We also have Amazon Prime, Hulu, Disney+, Netflix and a bunch of free streaming apps that we watch shows on occasionally. We cut the cable cord 2 years ago....I went kicking and screaming but I got over that very quickly as YouTube TV "feels" like we still have cable for the most part.

I have "regular" TV on more, but often as background noise. I actually watch more stuff on streaming services. Though I do use streaming for my regular TV now.

It depends on how you define streaming. We don’t have traditional cable, but we watch traditional tv via YouTube TV. It’s technically streaming, but live network tv.

We do stream other stuff too, but the majority of the time is live tv.

We mainly use YouTube TV which I guess is streaming but I think of that more like traditional cable. We watch live TV for news or if I just want something in the background. But all our regular shows we watch we DVR on YouTube to watch later. Also do Netflix, Peacock and DisneyPlus.

Just about streaming only these days. I will watch shows on Travel or History when they come on, but often from my Youtube.TV stream rather than cable.

I have a $10 set of rabbit ears that I use more than I used any streaming service as there are over 40 over the air free channels in my area now.
I never watch live TV so the idea that you regularly watch TV from an antenna seems so foreign.

In 2006 I got a TiVo and have almost exclusively watched recorded shows ever since. Sometimes the TV might get turned on for background noise but for the past few years even then a pre recorded show is selected.

I never watch live TV so the idea that you regularly watch TV from an antenna seems so foreign.

In 2006 I got a TiVo and have almost exclusively watched recorded shows ever since. Sometimes the TV might get turned on for background noise but for the past few years even then a pre recorded show is selected.
Remember, my wife and I worked in TV for over 40 years. We HAD to be able to watch our channels when there was some dispute between our employer and Dish or YouTube TV where the channel or a competitor's channel was blacked out. Also the whole Fox Sports NBC Sports battles over carriage since we like to watch baseball.
And the number of free channels available these days over the air is mind blowing.

Remember, my wife and I worked in TV for over 40 years. We HAD to be able to watch our channels when there was some dispute between our employer and Dish or YouTube TV where the channel or a competitor's channel was blacked out. Also the whole Fox Sports NBC Sports battles over carriage since we like to watch baseball.
And the number of free channels available these days over the air is mind blowing.
The foreign concept is watching something on someone else's schedule.

I always watch TV on my schedule (I don't watch sports) and have done so for almost 25 years.

Even when I was watching HDTV using an antenna back in 1999, I was recording the shows on a computer using an ATSC capture card.

The foreign concept is watching something on someone else's schedule.

I always watch TV on my schedule (I don't watch sports) and have done so for almost 25 years.

Even when I was watching HDTV using an antenna back in 1999, I was recording the shows on a computer using an ATSC capture card.
Well, I do have 2 DVRs and 2 VHS decks, so I do record stuff. Now that I am retired, the TV schedule kind of syncs up with my viewing schedule for the most part. But I can't think of any show these days that is "must see TV" for me. Not like in the 1980's where I recorded Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere and shows like that to watch later. Time shifting as they called it then. Now I watch what looks good at the time I am ready to watch.

I've only had streaming since 2020. And even with streaming, I rotate the channels yearly to take advantage of the best deals (and my phone kicks in other streaming deals like free Netflix, and then this March, they gave a free year of MLS through Apple and next week will be its 3rd year of free MLB TV)...

Streaming only Netflix , amazon prime, wetv Viki, iqit’s, BritBox I diconnected the tv aerial and cancelled my tv licence. In the uk if you watch live Tv shows or bbc iplayer (even if you don’t watch any bbc) you have to pay £159 to the bcc. So it’s like you pay for cable but still have to pay the bbc on top.

Like others, our regular TV comes through YouTube TV, which is actually streaming. We also have several streaming services. I really couldn't say what we use more, we DVR everything on YouTube TV that sounds remotely interesting and it just becomes part of what we watch at some point. Almost never watch anything when it airs. And we have smart TVs, so when I want to watch something particular, I just search for it and watch it on whatever service my TV tells me it's on.

Don't remember when i watched regular TV for the last time. For the good quality picture and decent speed i use Usenet mostly. ShareConnector has a great article about Usenet providers, hope it will be helpful

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter