Do you think DVC should be a little more open to people moving dates without penalty because of corona?

Made the decision to cancel today. On hold now. Expecting another hour or so until I speak to MS. Hoping that points will not go into holding and they return borrowed points to next UY.

ETA: A recorded message just came on while I was on hold stating that if cancelling online, points would not go into holding and would be returned to their current UY. Still waiting to talk to a rep to determine if borrowed points can be returned to their original UY.
My borrowed points were returned to UY no problem. Done via call to MS, who then had to fill out a form and go on hold with their accounting team.

I understood that the points would need to be re-used but I've also said I'm 100% willing to re-book at a later date with the points. But the owner aren't even willing to try that since they are "busy". My meal plan thru Disney is also paid in this.

How would David's consider consider the reservation good when Disney is closed the entire time I was scheduled to be there. Disney is cancelling for everyone staying on property.

I am sorry you are getting the runaround from the owner. I rented pts to someone that checked in a few days ago and were supposed to switch resorts on Sunday. They decided to check out today and go home. DVC is saying the 97 pts for the 2 reservations will be banked/unborrowed but it will take a few weeks for them to do it (they said they need to submit a form). I am not offering a refund, but I have told the renter that I will do whatever I can to get them a reservation for whenever they want before 5/31/2021 (June UY). Hopefully your owner steps up.

Last edited:
I’m in this situation renting out 2018 points that were banked into 2019 and have to be used by the end of July. There’s no way I wouldn’t refund the money to the renter if I can’t secure a new reservation even though I’ve already used the funds to pay for our ABD trip this summer. These are unprecedented times and I’ll work with my renter in the same way I hope DVC works with us. Hopefully, they’ll let me bank them forward if they can’t be used in this UY.
If the resort doesn’t close you don’t need to refund anything.

If the resort shuts down you will have to refund the money. If you don’t you will get sued and lose. You can’t charge someone rent for accommodations that are not available. Keeping the money would be theft.

If the resort doesn’t close you don’t need to refund anything.

If the resort shuts down you will have to refund the money. If you don’t you will get sued and lose. You can’t charge someone rent for accommodations that are not available. Keeping the money would be theft.

I agree that if the resort is actually closed, and the renter can’t use the reservation, then yes, I would say an owner would be required to at least rebook for the renter, and maybe refund the money.

But, other than that, I don’t think it’s on the owner to make the renter whole if they decide not to go, if the terms of contract say no refunds.

I think these are extraordinary times. I'm think both sides need to share in the pain. If Disney lets me bank points, then I don't want anything from my renters. If not, maybe 25%. I don't know their situation, maybe they have been saving for years.

I must have misspoke they told me they expire at the end of March. I don't think too much about use year as we use our points for Aulani and only go every couple years. sorry :)

I would think in this instance, since the resort is closing and the owner you rented from can’t fulfill your request, then they should be refunding you the money,

I think that is different than a renter not going because of the parks closing but not the resort,

That is why they recommend vacation insurance. It’s one of the cons of renting a DVC reseevstion. You save a lot of money over Disney, but you agree to not getting your money back

I don’t mean to come off as uncaring for the renter, but its unfair to an owner who has no control over the situation to criticize them for wanting the contract honored.

I just spent an hour in the online chat waiting to confirm what would happen to my points and it quit on me, Now it’s not even available.
Vacation insurance doesn’t cover pandemics.
I agree that if the resort is actually closed, and the renter can’t use the reservation, then yes, I would say an owner would be required to at least rebook for the renter, and maybe refund the money.

But, other than that, I don’t think it’s on the owner to make the renter whole if they decide not to go, if the terms of contract say no refunds.
If the resorts close they will be required to refund the money, just like any other landlord would if what they are renting out was unavailable to the renter during the time rent was paid for. DVC owners are property owners. You rent your property out it has to be available for the time period you rented it out.

As long as the resort is open, renters are SOL. You rented accommodations with nothing more guaranteed.

I think these are extraordinary times. I'm think both sides need to share in the pain. If Disney lets me bank points, then I don't want anything from my renters. If not, maybe 25%. I don't know their situation, maybe they have been saving for years.

I agree to the point that as an owner, helping to reschedule a trip if those points can be used for another time that works for the renter would be a nice thing, even though not is not required

But, I do not think that owners should feel obligated to return funds,n

So I just got off with member service. They said they are looking at each member's situation. They told me since my points are borrowed as long as I call before 31 days they will put days back in June 2020 year. I asked her if i had to make that decision right now she told me no; 31 days before check-in. So if you have concerns call them and they will help you to figure out what your options are. ( my trip dates are May 24-29)

Does anyone think if I were to cancel a reservation (in June) and the borrowed points get put back in 2020 UY that it will count as my "once in a lifetime" exception? I only have about 20 borrowed points on this reservation, so if this is really one time only exception, I would rather "save" it for when I have more points at risk in the future.

LAX

Does anyone think if I were to cancel a reservation (in June) and the borrowed points get put back in 2020 UY that it will count as my "once in a lifetime" exception? I only have about 20 borrowed points on this reservation, so if this is really one time only exception, I would rather "save" it for when I have more points at risk in the future.

LAX

The putting back of borrowed points is never a one time exception rule. It is the allowing of banking beyond the deadline,

So, I think this is a very unique situation for that to be happening. So, having them return borrowed points wouldn’t cause you to lose something down the road,

I am reading through all of this and I have to say I can not begin to imagine the problems being created down the road. With so many points flooding back into the system in the next year or 2, I just don't know how things will work out. Im not really sure how i feel but Disney is treating owners like customers with the exceptions to the rules. Owners in this thread are telling renters they are SOL and rightly so as they agreed to the rental terms. At the same time pixie dust is falling like a blizzard. Didnt we as owners assume the risk when something like this happens? It just worries me as I plan to book a 2021 trip and that may become much more difficult now with all of the pixie dust they are sprinkling. Let the walking begin.

And I do have a dog in this hunt. We go in July parks or no parks.

I am reading through all of this and I have to say I can not begin to imagine the problems being created down the road. With so many points flooding back into the system in the next year or 2, I just don't know how things will work out. Im not really sure how i feel but Disney is treating owners like customers with the exceptions to the rules. Owners in this thread are telling renters they are SOL and rightly so as they agreed to the rental terms. At the same time pixie dust is falling like a blizzard. Didnt we as owners assume the risk when something like this happens? It just worries me as I plan to book a 2021 trip and that may become much more difficult now with all of the pixie dust they are sprinkling. Let the walking begin.

And I do have a dog in this hunt. We go in July parks or no parks.
Tend to agree with you. However, it may not be as bad as you think IF the parks reopen in April.

If the situation goes on for awhile and DVC continues waiving the normal rules, there will be many, many more points than space available. I agree that DVC is creating an even bigger problem that will eventually bite us all, even those of us who bought where we want to stay and book in the 11 month window. Really hope we are wrong!

I think this will be akin to business owners trying to keep/pay employees when they may not be able to work due to sickness/business closure/cancellations, etc. Some will, some won't. I have a trip booked thru a tour operator that has been cancelled. If I rebook to another date, all is even. If I want a refund, only 50%.

I dont see how they cant continue waiving the penalties/rules. They have started down that road now. If by July they are still shut down would it be fair to those owners who are booked to be treated differently.

Hope we can stop this stampede and it all sorts out in the next couple of weeks

I canceled our trip that was to begin tomorrow this past Wednesday. I was told by MS that the points would go back where they came from. We had borrowed points and transferred points. This was a big family trip. They said it would take 7-10 days.

Checked our account this morning out of curiosity and it shows all the points but in holding. Can’t get through to MS right now.
Does anyone know if this is just temporary and it will get fixed? It’s giving me anxiety seeing 315 points in holding!

I canceled our trip that was to begin tomorrow this past Wednesday. I was told by MS that the points would go back where they came from. We had borrowed points and transferred points. This was a big family trip. They said it would take 7-10 days.

Checked our account this morning out of curiosity and it shows all the points but in holding. Can’t get through to MS right now.
Does anyone know if this is just temporary and it will get fixed? It’s giving me anxiety seeing 315 points in holding!

Temporary. I had points that way and did get through this morning. The CM actually fixed it all while on the phone,

If it’s not fixed in the 7 to 10 days, I would then contact them!

I dont see how they cant continue waiving the penalties/rules. They have started down that road now. If by July they are still shut down would it be fair to those owners who are booked to be treated differently.

Hope we can stop this stampede and it all sorts out in the next couple of weeks

That is a good point that I didn’t think of. When does the waiving of the rules stop?

I do think there is quite a bit of flexibility in the point system. Enough that this could easily get spread over several years without much impact on availability. Especially not for home resort booking

Even if they open up again April 1, there will be good availability for the rest of the year and beyond due to the folks who are still nervous about going. Plus, many people will need extended time to go back due to jobs or family limitations. After that, things will slowly get back to normal.

If availability does get too tight years down the road, worst I see is limiting borrowing for a while.

Like it or not, we all own this, so any burden should be spread across all owners.

If this was hurricane damage, we would not expect the people booked during the hurricane to pay all the damage. It would be spread over all owners.

I just got off the phone with them. Cancelled March reservation that had 2018 banked points, 2019 points, and 2020 borrowed points. No holding and said some other Team had to put the borrowed 2020 points back and bank my 2019 points. She said that the 2018 points that were banked, were not bankable. Made a May reservation with those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter