Do you like Ken Jennings hosting Jeopardy?

Used to watch when I was younger but lost interest.
So far none of the hosts has drawn me to watch, I don't dislike him but not a fan of Anderson Cooper, he always comes off as haughty and that's not my cup of tea. I think I would watch if there was a clean amusing sharp witted personality that could hold my attention, like Jim Gaffigan. We have google now so we all have encyclopedic knowledge in 30 seconds if we want, I'd tune in for humor.

There are other game shows where having a comedic personality might be fun (like... most of them), but Jeopardy is more straightforward, and that's how it works best. There might be room for humor during the contestant interview section, but during gameplay itself, a funny person would be wasted. The pacing needs to be swift to give the players a chance to get through the board and rack up the max amount of money. Slowing down for chuckles would make it a different game.

There are other game shows where having a comedic personality might be fun (like... most of them), but Jeopardy is more straightforward, and that's how it works best. There might be room for humor during the contestant interview section, but during gameplay itself, a funny person would be wasted. The pacing needs to be swift to give the players a chance to get through the board and rack up the max amount of money. Slowing down for chuckles would make it a different game.

I agree. To Tell The Truth having comedic host, Anthony Anderson and his mama are fun. They sometimes have some celeb judges on who yak, yak, yak rather aimlessly, when they should just say who they think is the real pro guest and not the imposters, and his mama will just cut through all that and say, "Just show the card already!" :rotfl2:Other times, Anthony will flip into full on cop mode and start interrogating one of the guests. And he is always playfully called on it by one of the judges. Anthony then says all those years on Law & Order come in handy. :lmao:

But, Jeopardy has always been a straight forward, serious competition of intellect, strategy and trivia skills. It would totally change the show and, in my opinion, destroy it as is. Save the humor for more relaxed format shows.

You're probably right, I suppose I'm just not the right demographic fit. I am the right fit for comics on Netflix though ;)

There are other game shows where having a comedic personality might be fun (like... most of them), but Jeopardy is more straightforward, and that's how it works best. Slowing down for chuckles would make it a different game.
" DING DONG.......THE WITCH IS DEAD"

actually this may be the historical moment in Jeopardy when they are trying to not be straightforward. that the categories and the subliminal titles of categories are slowly testing the water to see if they can amp up the fun...that is no longer your grandparents dementia test but a whimsical look at the trivial that makes the world spin

I feel out of my chair....Ding Dong...the witch is dead.... laughing.

actually this may be the historical moment in Jeopardy when they are trying to not be straightforward. that the categories and the subliminal titles of categories are slowly testing the water to see if they can amp up the fun...that is no longer your grandparents dementia test but a whimsical look at the trivial that makes the world spin
I haven't noticed a change in the category names — they've always dropped the occasional pun or related series into the lineup. Have I been missing something?

I haven't noticed a change in the category names — they've always dropped the occasional pun or related series into the lineup. Have I been missing something?
I think the puns are becoming more frequent....for sure they have used single titles to create a string of thought to a pun....but when I saw the Ding Dong lead off....I just thought it was very peculiar. and it was a clue to the final jeopardy answer ...So now I am looking at the titles to see if there are clues to the final jeopardy answer.

I didn’t check into it too much, but apparently Anderson Cooper had the lowest ratings of anyone. Very interesting. I wonder if that is Anderson Cooper, or if that is weather warming up, the world opening up more, or if it’s just a reflection of this whole process of the guest host starting to get a little old.

Interesting indeed about Anderson Cooper ratings. If I'm choosing favorites he's probably sitting at 3rd or 4th out of 6 guest hosts for me.

Note: I haven't seen any Bill Whitaker episodes yet because I record to watch later and I'm behind.

While I suppose I understand the why behind rotating hosts, I wonder whether it will be best for the show in the long run, particularly since it will continue for months? I think it creates more pressure to choose the "right" replacement than if they had done internal auditions and picked someone more on the down-low.

As a viewer, I likely won't stop watching because I'm tired of rotating hosts. Even though I don't love it, I'm not necessarily there yet personally, but I bet I will be by Aug. I also won't make a point of watching or not watching because I like or dislike a particular host and/or their personal views off-Jeopardy. I've watched them all so far, even the ones I wasn't particularly fond of.

I can see some people getting tired of the revolving guest host line-up and tuning out until a permanent replacement is named though. I can also see some viewers organizing and urging others to watch or not based on who the guest host is in an attempt to impact their ratings. I already saw calls on social media to tune out during Dr. Oz week. I'd bet money on there being attempts to get viewership up during LeVar Burton week. Plus I can see some people tuning out if the permanent replacement isn't their personal pick. Of course that might have happened anyway, but I think it's more likely with this lengthy and public audition process.

Side note: I didn't realize Jeopardy only tapes 46 days a year and Alex reportedly made $10 million per year. I take back my suggestion from earlier in this thread that some guest hosts may not necessarily want the job on a permanent basis. I bet they all do.

Side note: I didn't realize Jeopardy only tapes 46 days a year and Alex reportedly made $10 million per year. I take back my suggestion from earlier in this thread that some guest hosts may not necessarily want the job on a permanent basis. I bet they all do.

I'd do it! :D I am guessing, though, that the new host won't make as much as Alex though.

I didn’t see Buzzy.

have they given any indication as to when they would like to start with a regular host?

,,,,,all about the buzz....I guess....i am thinking that they are weaning us off the solemeness of jeopardy...have you seen any of the other game shows they have on tv...by mistake watched 25 words or less....okay...how as a viewer does that enrich me....but then how did Password work all those years

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter