Do you like Ken Jennings hosting Jeopardy?

As executive producer he had to have plenty of input.
We had a few laughs at our house, imagining him negotiating with himself.

Executive Producer: Mike, we would like to offer you a five year contract at $1 million per year.

Host: Well Mike, that sounds nice but I was hoping for something along the lines of 10 years at $5 million per year.

Executive Producer: Mike, you drive a hard bargain. Let's call it 12 years at $7.5 million per year.

Host: And unlimited use of the Sony jet?

Executive Producer: Done!

I’m happy for Mayim. IMO, she was the best of the women and has the personality and intellect to do a great job.

I like Mike too, and I’m sure he’ll do well. However, like others, I feel it’s somewhat disingenuous in the way they presented the audition process for new host, if he was in fact considered the front runner all along. As a producer, he had a clear advantage. If they were going with someone already associated with the show, my preference would be Buzzy Cohen or Ken Jennings.

Former Jeopardy champion Austin Rogers throws some shade at the choices of new hosts Mike Richards & Mayim Bialik: :duck:

New scoop according to TMZ, which usually gets their info correct:

Mayim Bialik was actually Sony's first choice. (Alex had also said he thought the next host should be a woman, someone extremely bright, and maybe a minority.) On top of that, TMZ's sources said the crew loved working with her AND she also tested highest in focus groups. But, she is too busy, as she stars and executive produces "Call Me Kat"on FOX, and hosts a podcast. Her filming schedule at FOX wouldn't fit into the time frame to film daily Jeopardy too. But, because Sony execs wanted Mayim so much, they negotiated with her and came up with the idea to have her host the spin-off specials & Jeopardy! National College Championship and have a second host, (Mike Richards) for the daily Jeopardy show.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/08/13/mayim-bialik-top-choice-jeopardy-host-sony-execs-other-commitments/

New scoop according to TMZ, which usually gets their info correct:

Mayim Bialik was actually Sony's first choice. (Alex had also said he thought the next host should be a woman, someone extremely bright, and maybe a minority.) On top of that, TMZ's sources said the crew loved working with her AND she also tested highest in focus groups. But, she is too busy, as she stars and executive produces "Call Me Kat"on FOX, and hosts a podcast. Her filming schedule at FOX wouldn't fit into the time frame to film daily Jeopardy too. But, because Sony execs wanted Mayim so much, they negotiated with her and came up with the idea to have her host the spin-off specials & Jeopardy! National College Championship and have a second host, (Mike Richards) for the daily Jeopardy show.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/08/13/mayim-bialik-top-choice-jeopardy-host-sony-execs-other-commitments/

Cynical me, is wondering though, if Sony isn't just putting out that story that their first choice is Mayim, as Mike is getting some criticism that he basically hired himself and knew early on that he was going to host. And that having all those other guest hosts really was more to create some time and space between Alex's death and the new host taking over, than it was to seriously consider most of the guest hosts for the host.

Cynical me, is wondering though, if Sony isn't just putting out that story that their first choice is Mayim, as Mike is getting some criticism that he basically hired himself and knew early on that he was going to host. And that having all those other guest hosts really was more to create some time and space between Alex's death and the new host taking over, than it was to seriously consider most of the guest hosts for the host.
I think the guest host thing was basically a sham. It will be interesting to see if Richards keeps the job.
SNL ought to do a skit of him negotiating with himself.

I think the guest host thing was basically a sham. It will be interesting to see if Richards keeps the job.
SNL ought to do a skit of him negotiating with himself.

Yep! I have visions of him pulling out two empty chairs and sitting them across from each other. Then he jumps back & forth being each person.

Executive producer Mike: "Okay, Mike, give me the number you want.

Mike: "Well, EP Mike, I want $5 million for the first season."

Executive producer Mike: "Wow, Mike! That's really pretty high. We really don't have that much in our budget. . . Sony will never go for that amount."

Mike: "Actually, EP Mike, I have personal knowledge that you DO have that much money in your budget and can well afford to give me that. And Sony won't bat an eye giving the new host that amount."

Executive producer Mike: "Alright, Mike. You've really done your research. I'll draw up your contract for you right away. Let me know if there's anything else you want. . . Like certain things in your dressing room each day. . ."

If it were the case that they didn't offer Bialik the main gig, then she would easily be able to refute the claim that they did. (Unless she signed a nondisclosure thing, but that sounds overly complicated.)

So here's a different cynical take: I'd suggest it's more likely they'd offer the job to someone they knew was too busy to accept it, knowing that person would turn it down and allowing a convenient explanation like the one related by TMZ.

I don't know if I believe that's what they did. I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories. ;) But it seems more likely than something that could be determined by just asking Bialik whether she was offered the role or not.

If it were the case that they didn't offer Bialik the main gig, then she would easily be able to refute the claim that they did. (Unless she signed a nondisclosure thing, but that sounds overly complicated.)

So here's a different cynical take: I'd suggest it's more likely they'd offer the job to someone they knew was too busy to accept it, knowing that person would turn it down and allowing a convenient explanation like the one related by TMZ.

I don't know if I believe that's what they did. I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories. ;) But it seems more likely than something that could be determined by just asking Bialik whether she was offered the role or not.

You've never heard of the Hollywood "spin doctors"? Publicists who "leak" details or stories in a certain way for damage control, or to reframe the narrative of the publicity to go in a different direction by spinning a new "yarn" to feed the public. Not everything coming out of Hollywood is real. :lmao:

Mayim started out in Hollywood young enough to understand how Hollywood works. There actually isn't a downside to the story being told now that SHE was their first choice. It's very complimentary to her. It helps out everyone out, particularly the publicity of Jeopardy. Her FOX TV show and podcast get a plug from it. And she gets along better with her new SONY bosses if she goes along with this new yarn. And if her FOX show ends in 2 seasons and Mike Richards steps down, saying it's too much work to executive produce and host, Mayim is now in the perfect position to slide into the daily Jeopardy host slot.

I do think the tale of Mike Richards stepping up to host the show is getting a bit old though. We originally bought it when he said he had to do it as they couldn't get a guest host in time due to COVID. But, we are now to believe he's stepping up as permanent host because again the person they were going to get is unavailable?

As for a nondisclosure agreement, I think that is basic boilerplate legalese included in game show contracts. The contestants have to sign one. It's probably included for ALL the employees of game shows to not disclose anything regarding the show.

Well then, that didn't last long.

Mike Richards Out as ‘Jeopardy!’ Host Amid Cascade of Scandals

^ link

"A new round of guest hosts will be tapped to tape episodes to launch the show’s 38th year in syndication next month. Richards began his first day of taping as permanent host on Aug. 19, which turned out to be his last day in the role."

They do five episodes a day, so I guess the season will start with one week of Mike and then move back to the guest-host format.

Last edited:
"A new round of guest hosts will be tapped to tape episodes to launch the show’s 38th year in syndication next month.

So, Sony isn't going to give the previous guest hosts consideration or a chance to do another week? :( :badpc:

I agree that Levar was very uneven. Way over the top in some cases, yet seemed unsure in other cases. On one final jeapordy answer, it was as if he wasn't sure if the contestant answered correctly or not.

Okay, this has always bugged me. And I'm going on record now stating it. Yes, cynical me, wonders about this. :scratchin

Think of this as Mike Richards possible sabotage of his fellow competition. Say, Mike Richards, the executive producer, decided early on that HE wants to host. I saw an article yesterday, which said he got rid of Ken Jennings early, and stated it's because Ken has other conflicts and couldn't continue guest hosting, even though Ken later contradicted him, saying that really wasn't a problem for him. :confused3 Mike got him out of the way.

So, Mike had to fill in and guest host for a few weeks. :rolleyes1 He decides, YES, he really, REALLY wants the job, now that he's done it. A few guest hosts do really well, Aaron, Buzzy, Mayim, and it is known they would love the hosting gig if offered. Most of the other guest hosts don't really want the job, so not a problem there.

But, LeVar Burton is a fan favorite. I said in a previous post that LeVar can make scientific techno-babble make sense. He also hosted and explained the plots and themes of books to kids in 155 episodes of Reading Rainbow for 26 years. So when he is prepared with his material, he's got it down. It's obvious to anyone who watched those shows.

So, how does an executive producer, with the power and opportunity, get rid of this competition? By making sure LeVar is UNprepared. I bet, decades ago, when Alex Trebek first started hosting, that if he wasn't given both the "answers" that he reads off the board, as well as the "questions" the contestants say, ahead of time, that he DEMANDED he gets both parts. He wanted to know both parts even before starting a show, so he could rehearse, prepare, appear knowledgeable on questions he didn't know, and even have and give extra trivia on some "questions."

Generally, probably the guest hosts were given both parts. Ken & Buzzy didn't bother reading through the "questions" as they knew them. Other guest hosts skimmed and rehearsed as necessary, also knowing they would have an ear-prompter. And they were given both parts in enough time to rehearse and familiarize themselves. I saw Joe Buck pause for a split second before reciting two difficult words, two different times. The words weren't a surprise to him, as though he was reading them for the first time. He just made sure to recite them correctly as practiced.

What if LeVar wasn't given enough time to read through an episode, let alone rehearse and familiarize himself with both the questions and answers. Like they were stuffed in his hand 15 minutes before an episode. So, the first time he got to know what the "question" was, was when they came out of the contestants' mouths. Whereas everyone else was emailed or messengered the Q&As for all 5 episodes the day before, with a reminder of the nondisclosure agreement they had already signed, not to show them to anyone.

Add to that, the executive producer has the power to possibly, privately tell the ear-promter person to pause an extra second, here and there, before giving LeVar the prompt that an answer was correct, and especially when it wasn't.

The executive producer would also have final say on the editing of a show. He tells the video editor to keep those pauses in, where the editor would normally edit them down for the smooth rhythm & pacing of the show. (Do you guys know that in the final weeks, Alex had problems saying some things as articulately as usual, and flubbed a lot. One of the symptoms as his illness declined. He had to repeat and re-tape some parts a few times. The cast & crew were all very loving and patient. But, Alex HATED when he flubbed so much. Yet, it didn't show in the final episodes, because the video editor made sure of it.) But, in LeVar's case, the video editor was told to make sure all the pauses are left in. As they are there.

So, yes, LeVar shows up looking and feeling unprepared, timid and hesitant than he normally would have. More than he could and should have been, had he had a team in his corner, instead of an executive producer in competition against him - making SURE he looks bad to us and especially to Sony. :sad:

Remember: LeVar taped his week after Mayim. If Sony really loved Mayim as much as they say they did, that she was first on their list, they might have reached out to her right away to see how seriously she was interested in hosting, so they knew where she stood, as they viewed the rest of the hosts. As executive producer, Mike was probably apprised of the Sony execs' feelings. So, he perhaps already knew he was bumped down to second position. Was he really going to let someone else bump him down to third position? :scratchn

As I read and hear other stuff about Mike Richards past, the more he reeks of stinky, moldy cheese, or old, used gym socks and unwashed athletic supporter tossed in the bottom of a gym locker. :crazy2:

So, yes, I think it's possible LeVar could have been purposely made to appear not the best he could have.

As long as Mike Richards is executive producing the next several guest hosts, HOW is anyone going to appear like they will be a better host than him? :confused3

Last edited:
I hope you warmed up before that stretch. Bottom line is while LaVar was NOT a good host and Mike Richards was.

Yep! I have visions of him pulling out two empty chairs and sitting them across from each other. Then he jumps back & forth being each person.

Executive producer Mike: "Okay, Mike, give me the number you want.

Mike: "Well, EP Mike, I want $5 million for the first season."

Executive producer Mike: "Wow, Mike! That's really pretty high. We really don't have that much in our budget. . . Sony will never go for that amount."

Mike: "Actually, EP Mike, I have personal knowledge that you DO have that much money in your budget and can well afford to give me that. And Sony won't bat an eye giving the new host that amount."

Executive producer Mike: "Alright, Mike. You've really done your research. I'll draw up your contract for you right away. Let me know if there's anything else you want. . . Like certain things in your dressing room each day. . ."

Where did you copy and paste that from? I've seen it several times already.

Mike Richards interviewing new candidates to replace him: "So, why did you leave your last job?"

Job Candidate: "Why did YOU leave your last job?"

They do five episodes a day, so I guess the season will start with one week of Mike and then move back to the guest-host format.

TMZ just said that Mike Richards only taped one episode, not a full week. I wonder if they will just re-tape the show?

Where did you copy and paste that from? I've seen it several times already.

Then they are copying ME! :rotfl:You DO know the DIS is Googleable. ;)

But, yes, someone did a similar conversation a page before mine. For some reason, when I clicked on the thread, it accidentally skipped a page of the thread instead of going to the last post I had read, before I wrote what I wrote. So, GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE. :thumbsup2

Then they are copying ME! :rotfl:You DO know the DIS is Googleable. ;)

But, yes, someone did a similar conversation a page before mine. For some reason, when I clicked on the thread, it accidentally skipped a page of the thread instead of going to the last post I had read, before I wrote what I wrote. So, GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE. :thumbsup2

Sure - considering the comments I saw were posted BEFORE yours, it totally makes sense that people are copying you and not the other way around. Bottom line is that LeVar was a terrible host compared to many of the others. Blaming Mike Richards for LeVar's suckiness is ridiculous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter