• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you have a child going off to college...for the first time?? *Updated 8/19/05*

Thank you Dan for the beautiful words, even though they brought me to tears. My oldest child is leaving for her first year of college and the tears are flowing quite often(I try to wait until I'm in the shower.) My living room is filled with her things, a constant reminder that she will soon be living 5 hours away. I am so excited for her and I know she will truly blossom and mature at school. My college years were some of the best times of my life. I know my son will miss his sister terribly. We are a very close family and truly enjoy each other's company. It is hard to believe that time has passed so quickly and that my children are young adults. I know I will feel a sense of relief once she is settled in. The anticipation has been making me somewhat ill- the same head/stomach -achy take-the baby-home- from-the-hospital-now-what feeling. It's great to have a place to vent. Thanks to all for sharing your feelings.

Thanks, Dan-you're timing was perfect. DS is sitting upstairs waiting for DH to wake up and start the 500 mile drive to check into college as a freshman. He's the youngest, the last to leave the nest. The tears fill my eyes just thinking about it. He's following his dream to become a music performer (at WDW-must have raised him right!). But I'm going to miss him so much-and the sounds of his trumpet practicing. I'm so afraid for him, going out into the big cruel world, into such a competitive field. My mind knows I must let him spread his wings, follow his dream. But my heart-SOB!

bttt.gif

Today is the day this show is on. It is in the 10 AM EDT time segment. www.wgnradio.com

Another annual bump for this year's parents of college kids going off to school soon.

This will be us next year! Carly has just started her Senior year in HS this week. College applications are going to filled out very soon and she's hoping to go to UNC in Charlotte. We are in Tampa! She does NOT want to go to a Florida school. She might change her mind and she might not get accepted where she wants to, so who knows?

She is our only child -- adopted from Korea at 4 mos old. Seems like just yesterday...

It will be extremely hard. We are planning a trip to Hawaii next year, just after HS graduation for the 3 of us and a friend of hers. May be our last family vacation.

I'm going to keep the lyrics to that song. Thanks so much Dan for sharing. It means a lot! VAL

My oldest daughter is leaving soon too for her first year and she will be a three hour drive away.( each way )

My heart is so heavy it even surprises me!

I feel that I blinked and she grew up.....I am so sad and will miss her so very much.

I dread that moment when I have to say Good-bye and leave her behind. :(

My how times flies. I remember this post and my response to it. My son did graduate in March and is still in Pittsburg PA. He has a girlfriend and is working full time. He will be sending out resume's to different places to apply for work in his field.

We have a weathered the storm, and are very proud of him. Our next get together will be at Thanksgiving in Orlando. Cant' wait for our big family vacation with everyone to celebrate, that and a lot of other things!

denise

The time does march on.....Elsewhere on this thread is a reply from me 2 years ago when I sent my oldest daughter off to Vanderbilt. Yesterday I moved my youngest daughter into her dorm at U. of Southern Miss.

This is the most exciting, frustrating and maturing time of your child's life. They will be well adjusted if you are (or are pretending to be) well adjusted. They really need to know that you are OK. And the time goes by fast. Before you know it they'll be home for a weekend or for Thanksgiving. I thought it was going to be awful and it really wasn't. In fact I am really excited about having an empty nest for the first time. My husband and I are proud of our girls and ready for this phase.

Try to think of this as the beginning of something instead of the end of something else.

By the way, our oldest is graduating in May from Vandy - a full year early ---- YAY!

Best wishes to all of you....this too shall pass!

My son (oldest) leaves this Friday. He is going to Appalachian State, about 5 hours away, and he's ready. I would be a mess if he weren't and if we weren't so thrilled with the school. He doesn't know anyone there, but he makes friends easily, and they have a great freshman program. I've been thinking that I'm doing ok, but tonight I am washing new sheets and towels, and it's starting to hit me. He and the few friends who haven't left yet either are going bowling tonight, and he came home to get his 15 year old sis to take her, too. They have been through a lot together, and I think it's going to be very hard on her.

Anyway, cross your fingers that I keep it cool until I make it out of the dorm parking lot Saturday! Good luck to all of you parents and students!

I am in tears just thinking of DD leaving us, she is a junior this year in hs. We plan of enjoying these last two years but she is my youngest and I will miss her sooooo much.

I got my introduction into "Letting Go 101" via the Marines. When DS left last year we weren't allowed phone calls for three months the letters were NOT helpful. We had no idea of what to expect! He would write us one day very down then a week later very high! I would smell his cologne, I closed the door to his room, a sock or something would turn up in the laundry and make me cry. The worst for me was Christmas week when he had water qualifications - he doesn't swim, he can but he had a bad experience when he was small and has avoided water all his life. And here he was jumping off a platform into water fully dressed with his new best friend - his rifle. UGH! I was just sick with worry all week. Turns out the end of the week his Grandmother NOT ME received a letter that he passed the first day. I worried all week! Then he was injured halfway through the 12 weeks to hear him near tears and knowing I couldn't get to him just about killed me. That is not a phone call you want as a mother. The 3 months of boot turned into 6 and he finally came home to heal. He is going back to start all over in a few months. Will I worry, you bet, but at least I know what to expect.

:rolleyes:

Time makes it all easier. HUGS to all of you parents who are letting go. They will be back dirty laundry and all!!!

Melissa

My dd Ashli isn't 'going off' to college since she's living at home and commuting but I had a range of emotions in the last week associated with her starting college. It's just that from the first day Ashli has assumed an air of confidence and independance that I'm not used to seeing and it's like all at once I'm seeing her as an adult. The changes make me cry but I'm not sure if it's happy crying or sad crying.

bttt.gif

Just pulling this one up for another year, show is next Friday, the 20th. A real classic for the folks of college kids. You can listen to the links in the OP, that is what they will play next week.

I looked for this thread yesterday but didn't have enough time to search.

Thanks for bringing it back up, I have to send it to a fellow quilter.

denise

Should be on tomorrow, Friday the 20th, 9 AM EDT, 10AM CDT, etc. A good listen for the college folks, especially the 'first timers'. :sad1:

Bump again for '05. On now. Tune in on your PC with RealPlayer, or play the links. Remember the tissues. :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter