• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you actively manage your credit score?

I do not, but I should. I bought a car a little over a year ago and they told me it was a little over 800 at that time. It is a good idea to keep a watch on it even for the sake of knowing if somebody is trying to steal your identity.

I have been through lending training at work (I am not a loan officer, so I have forgotten a lot of what I learned because I never use it) but I remember a few things.

1. Credit Karma is pretty much a waste of time.
2. Something about a lot of your credit score is based on how much you have available vs how much you are using.
3. Good credit does NOT mean you will get the loan.
4. Soft pulls will not hurt your score, hard pulls will (but not very much).

I have never paid a bill late in 38 years. Have no mortgage or car payments and use 2-3 different credit cards for different rewards and pay them off every month. The only reason I know our credit rating is because we get a free one every month which is always in the 800’s. Otherwise, I wouldn’t really care.

I don't actively manage it, but am aware of it. More so than anything I am aware of what effects it and how. It's not completely about just paying your bills on time. There are considerations for age of credit, usage ratio's, how many times and who checks your credit, and negative reports. I have had people tell me in certain circumstances when buying something involving my credit score that mine is very good.

Same. I check it weekly to make sure everything is in order and when I was planning on buying a new car I made sure there wasn't much on my credit card. Even though I pay it off monthly, depending when they pulled my credit it could have shown a big balance so I was paying it off weekly for a few months.

I started using a credit card for everything, but I never ever carry a balance. I look at my score more than I ever did now, but I wouldn’t say I manage it. I use the cc for rewards not to build credit, I already had very good credit.

Do I actively mangle my credit scrore?
Lets just say soda machines start blinking out of order when I walk by them.
OHHH you said manage, well then, not really.

I started using a credit card for everything, but I never ever carry a balance. I look at my score more than I ever did now, but I wouldn’t say I manage it. I use the cc for rewards not to build credit, I already had very good credit.
I've had the same credit card for 10 years, and although there have been times I've carried a balance (and I still am now, but working hard to pay it off as I've had some unexpected expenses such as needing to get a lens fixed and a new Mac due to my old one being on the way out), I do my best to use it lightly and not use the limit up too much, and pay off as much as I can until I get to the point I can zero it off, then afterwards, I make sure I can zero it off every month. I also avoid having additional cards, and I always pay my bills on time, which is helped by the fact that we have the Direct Debit system in the UK, so that enforces it. Haven't really paid attention to my score, but I don't tend to worry about it too much unless it comes to the day I buy my first house and/or take out finance on a new car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter