Do you actively manage your credit score?

kdonnel

DVC-BCV
While searching for a potentially better reward credit card then I am currently using I stumbled upon web pages and forums dedicated to actively managing your credit/credit score. Followers apply various techniques like ensuring that only one credit card reports a balance each month to maximize their credit score.

I understand paying this close of attention for a couple months prior to applying for a mortgage or a car loan to ensure you qualify for the lowest possible interest rate but I don't really see the value in maximizing your credit score month after month. The various techniques seemed to take up significant time and might only make a 20-30 point difference in your score.

If I am not actively seeking new credit why does it matter as long as my score remains in the >= good range?

I don't worry to manage it. It is what it is and I'll just continue to do what I do without worrying too much about it. As long as everything is paid on time and in full, I really don't see a need to manage it at all.

Nope, don’t need to. I have a high credit score and don’t foresee ever needing to take out a loan.

I don't actively manage it, but am aware of it. More so than anything I am aware of what effects it and how. It's not completely about just paying your bills on time. There are considerations for age of credit, usage ratio's, how many times and who checks your credit, and negative reports. I have had people tell me in certain circumstances when buying something involving my credit score that mine is very good.

Nope. We paid off our mortgage in 2018. So I expect that it may go down a little. But not worried. One of our banking features updates our scores and sends them to us every few months. Still in the 800s.

I don't actively manage it, but am aware of it. More so than anything I am aware of what effects it and how. It's not completely about just paying your bills on time. There are considerations for age of credit, usage ratio's, how many times and who checks your credit, and negative reports. I have had people tell me in certain circumstances when buying something involving my credit score that mine is very good.
This. I don’t actively ‘manage’ it but I keep an eye on it.

Everyone has interests and hobbies they are passionate about. For most of us, managing credit score isnt one of them. If your score is 'good' or above, dont worry about it.

I don't understand how the whole system. If you have no loans, pay off bills, and have credit cards forever, your score can still bounce all over the place.

Nope. I monitor it, though, and it seems to go up and down by 10-20 points occasionally. The down seems to be if I made a large purchase, but I do pay my cards off every month. I just don't care--bought a house already, and my car is paid for.

Nope, I am debt free, honey is debt free except the home mortgage. I'm aware of what it is and check it once a month mostly to make sure no one is messing with anything without me knowing it but that's it.

No. I manage my money. Couldn't care less about credit score. I only ever know what it is when we want to buy something on credit. So the last time was 2011 when we bought a car. We're looking at buying our retirement home in the next couple years so I'll hear it again then.

I just pay my bills on time and keep my credit cards paid off if possible. I did have a few thousand on there from a dog operation but that’s paid off now. House is paid off. When I go to buy a car I always get zero percent financing so I’m not worried about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter