Do these new UK cruises regulations shine a light on how DCL could look when wider operations commence

I don't think many folks here are of the mind that things will go back to exactly the way they were pre-COVID. I certainly think that some things like mandatory hand-washing outside restaurants will stay in place, and maybe proof of vaccinations prior to boarding, too. And I also believe that Disney will set things up where more health protocols will be easier to "dial up" and "dial down" on a dime, as needed.

But, IMO, the cruising public simply does not want a segmented, regimented cruise vacation like this. Some will abide short-term while we are still in the thick of COVID-19, but once things simmer down, people will stop accepting (most of) these restrictions as acceptable compromises for the risk involved and the money being charged.

again, proof of vaccination is a short term thing.
we are not talking about the yellow fever, which you need the vaccine prior visiting Africa. Maybe some countries will ask it, but certainly not the US or Canada.

some measures will stay, such as handwashing before entering shops and restaurants maybe, temperature check before boarding ?

I personally am very good with these! Perhaps the only restriction that sucks is you can only register the kids for one 1.5-2.5hr session in the kids club per day. I am 100% onboard with vaccine and mask requirements. Makes me much more comfortable going. While the show limitations are less than optimal, we have seen every show over a dozen times each already. Heck, sometimes we skip them anyway.

If US cruises start with these exact rules, we will be on!

That right there is a deal-breaker for me, at least when it comes to paying DCL prices. I hardly saw my eldest on sea days on our first and only cruise, he loved the kids clubs so much and only was willing to join us for meals. I 100% won't book a DCL cruise again until kids can have unlimited time in the clubs. We also really enjoyed Frozen and less so, Dreams. I can live without seeing Dreams or any of the other medley shows again but I would want to see the ship-specific Broadway show on each ship at least once per cruise (Tangled, Frozen, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast).

It wont go back to normal until people finally say enough is enough.

my next trip would be end of 2023, of masks and tests are still in effect, i will postpone for the next year, or the next after. If i’m about to spend 10000$ for a trip, it won’t be will all that restrictions :) but that’s just me, for some it doesnt bother them.

Cabanas is listed as one of the restaurants but nothing about what will be offered there and how...yet...

(Pic is borrowed/stolen from another site from a different question hence the random circling at the bottom)
View attachment 570464
Thank you! That gives me some hope that buffets may still be offered as I dont mind the cast members plating the food....I just like all the choices they have. I hope they still offer Cabanas :)

Cabanas is listed as one of the restaurants but nothing about what will be offered there and how...yet...

(Pic is borrowed/stolen from another site from a different question hence the random circling at the bottom)
View attachment 570464

Maybe they will use it as another main dining restaurant to be able to have social distancing during dinner? That would make sense.

my next trip would be end of 2023, of masks and tests are still in effect, i will postpone for the next year, or the next after. If i’m about to spend 10000$ for a trip, it won’t be will all that restrictions :) but that’s just me, for some it doesnt bother them.

Seems like only a few say they won't be bothered by it, the majority seem to say no if all these restrictions once onboard.

again, proof of vaccination is a short term thing.
we are not talking about the yellow fever, which you need the vaccine prior visiting Africa. Maybe some countries will ask it, but certainly not the US or Canada.

some measures will stay, such as handwashing before entering shops and restaurants maybe, temperature check before boarding ?

I’m just hypothesizing here. Again, my larger point was that people probably wouldn’t mind proof of vaccination long-term nearly as much as they would mind having to wear masks long-term, make reservations for the pool deck and the shows long-term, no nursery long-term, etc.

Absolutely.. I won’t pay that kind of money to have all those restrictions, but I do think we can go back to pretty normal after .. there will always be virus’s and illness , wash your hands and be more sanitary.. I didn’t get vaccinated so I could wear two masks outside or live like the world is ending .. I get flu vaccines each year and whatever else it takes but people can’t live this way permanently.

Yeah, I’m not angry about these policies at all, because I don’t have to subject myself to them if I don’t want to.

When DCL is able to offer me a vacation experience that I believe delivers sufficient value in exchange for the price they are charging, I will be first in line. Until then, plenty of other great ways to spend my vacation dollar.

It wont go back to normal until people finally say enough is enough.

NE Fl people have started to say that lol! We have had a packed fair like shoulder to shoulder through the midway many of the days, a sold out indoor concert and a sold out indoor UFC event: all three required no masks and the result was that very few wore them.

One issue I see (and it shouldn't be much of an issue but certainly an annoyance) is that many people who are fully vaccinated are popping up with false positive antigen tests. I'm an ER charge nurse and when we admit patients to the hospital we test everyone (including the fully vaccinated) prior to assigning units. In one day alone I saw 3 positive antigen tests in fully vaccinated people who then had negative PCR tests. We're now cutting the middle man and using a PCR test first on the fully vaccinated. Those false positives are going to cause some major stress with people whose boarding depends on an accurate result.

I'm just going to wait it out until all the restrictions get lifted. Seeing as there's already promising results from the latest AZ/PF vaccine data, I can, however, see mask mandates and other measures being lifted in the UK in a month or two, depending on how well the vaccination programme is doing and if the problematic strains are kept under control. But the ball is ultimately going to be in Disney's court, since the last thing we want is a 'Disney Cruise Strain' that could end up being a million times worse than the Indian or South African strains if they're not careful.

I would be absolutely fine with these restrictions but would probably wait for reviews to see how people are reacting to them before dedicating vacation dollars to them. The vaccine requirement makes me feel more likely to cruise, honestly.

Reminder to please keep this thread on topic - if you wish to debate masks, or regulations please visit a different board. Thank you!

I'm just going to wait it out until all the restrictions get lifted. Seeing as there's already promising results from the latest AZ/PF vaccine data, I can, however, see mask mandates and other measures being lifted in the UK in a month or two, depending on how well the vaccination programme is doing and if the problematic strains are kept under control. But the ball is ultimately going to be in Disney's court, since the last thing we want is a 'Disney Cruise Strain' that could end up being a million times worse than the Indian or South African strains if they're not careful.

I recently read that Israel has exceeded 50% of all adults vaccinated and they have lifted the mask requirement for those who are vaccinated when outdoors. I feel like it's a great way to create an incentive to get vaccinated. At the hospital where I work, we no longer need to quarantine after travel if we are fully vaccinated. We also don't need to quarantine if we're exposed to (or living with) someone who has active covid.
We visited WDW last month and I felt they were doing all they could to prevent an outbreak. The last thing they want is to be on the news that multiple guests caught covid from visiting WDW. I think the DCL will do the same, meaning take whatever steps are necessary to stay away from negative press. In fact, any cruise line that gets sloppy in following the rules will risk an infection and the whole world will be watching them, waiting for some cruise ship to have an outbreak. That would be a huge setback for the entire cruise industry.

To be honest if this was an adult only trip I wouldn’t do it with such limited adult evening entertainment or at least what’s been announced so far, but my little (2years and 5 years) grandkids have had three DCL cruises cancelled, plus one Disneyland Paris trip. My granddaughter asks constantly when she can sail on, ”The Mickey Boat” again, so this is for her. It’s to give her a glimpse of the best that I can provide her with right now.
We will miss her constant hugs with the characters replaced by a selfie at a distance. We will miss the open houses where we played as a family, and are wondering what will be on offer for our two year old as a replacement. If anything. We will miss freedom to just do stuff that fits with our family on the day. And I hope that I won’t be bored in the eve as entertainment is curtailed possibly.
I‘ve had to remind myself that this is not about me, it’s about them and about smiling and making the best of it. The big but though is can I replicate this next March for 14 nights on the WBPC with just two adults if the restrictions aren’t relaxed.
Only time will tell. First hurdle is actually getting a booking tomorrow in the midst of Disney booking fever. I’m hoping that my Dreams agent can work her magic.

I think certainly in the beginning that this could be the future of US cruising as well. My hope is that after a few cruises with no breakouts, the restrictions will be eased slowly.
I personally would be willing to sign up for one of the shorter cruises (I can’t as an American, but would be willing) just to start showing whether it can be done safely (fully vaccinated). Sort of like what the CDC return to sail wanted to see ... test cruises of willing participants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter