Do people call you by a nickname?

I get various shortened versions of my first name. I think it's impossible for South Philly people to call *anyone* by their full name. Sometimes there your nicknames get nicknames.

I actually prefer to be called Liz.
...although since I'm the 3rd child in the family, sometimes my family calls me "number three". :eek:

Are you known as a cat lover? Maybe that's it?

It is now....I absolutely adore kitties. But "back" then it was one of my grandfathers who decided to start calling me Kitty. My Mom at one point thought it neat to call me Kitty Beth.........nope didn't catch on, thank goodness. :teeth:

Nope, no official nickname for me. And it could have been easily shortened from 2 syllables to 1. I always wanted a nickname but never got one.
Now, what does bug me is: I am called by my middle name. As a kid everyone would ask me what my real name was. I would say my name and then an arguement would ensue. My real name is the name I go by NOT my first name! I always have to clarify when I talk to people on the phone when I give them the wrong name. My husband too. I was introduced to him my his middle name. Everyone else in the Coast Guard called him by his first name or his initials. Drives me crazy. I swore I would never do that to my kids!! I lost out on some really great names becasue they wouldn't work as a first name :)

I prefer Kim, but that’s not really a nickname.

My user name is what my Dad used to call me when I was younger.

I’ll answer to anything but will give you the stink eye if you call me Kimmy.

Me too. My given name is Kimberly, but I've been Kim since the day I was born. (I don't mind Kimberly, but I assume that person doesn't really know me.) I loathe Kimmy though, and always have.

Yes I have a nickname and everyone in my family (plus my lifelong friends) call me that. It been with me since I was little so its basically my name to those who call me it. 😊

My husband grew up being called one name but was introduced to me using another so I've only known him with that name. His family still calls him by the name he grew up with, my family and most of our friends call him by the name I met him with and then he has work people that call him by his formal proper name. Very confusing...:laughing: Our niece and her dad like to call him a different variation just to mess with him. Haha

Our daughter has terms of endearment names from both of us and my dad(her grandpa) but to everyone else they just use her real name.

My kids’ friends call me by a nickname but it has nothing to do with my name. Just a way to call me “mom”.

Dh goes by a nickname to his name and has since he was a child. Oldest son goes by a nickname to his name. Same one is grandfather went by. Younger son used to hate his name to be shortened because it would be the same thing his dad is called. Now he uses it. Dd will correct anyone that shortens her name. She hates it.

My family calls me Nene (hence my username) some close friends call me V and a lot of close friends call both my husband and I by our last name. I do not like when people I barely know call me Nessa.

Oh a side note, when naming my son I wanted a name that could not be shortened into a nickname (so no Jonathan, Michael, Matthew, etc) His name is Liam and it’s still shocks me how many people try to call him Lee.
I did the same thing. Only my son’s friends and even some teachers, actually LENGTHENED his name! Sean became Seany(Shawnee)!:crazy2:

I purposely named my son Christopher because even though we intended to call him Christopher, I didn’t get dislike Chris. Smart of me, right? Enter high school band and there are not 1 but four Christoper James! One stayed Christopher, One took Chris, one CJ, and MY kid gets Topher! 🙄.

Meeting all the other band parents freshman year and they’re like, Oh! You’re Topher’s mom! I always wanted to say, yeah but I didn’t name him that! 😛 Over the next four years it did tend to grow on me! He’s still Christopher to us!

Sometimes, but not regularly. I don't really care. There are three common variations and I'll answer to any of them.
DH is only called by the shortened version of his name.
DS doesn't have a nickname, expect for one uncle's pet name for him.
DD has a couple variations of her name, and will answer to any of them.

Sometimes, but not regularly. I don't really care. There are three common variations and I'll answer to any of them.
DH is only called by the shortened version of his name.
DS doesn't have a nickname, expect for one uncle's pet name for him.
DD has a couple variations of her name, and will answer to any of them.

You saying pet name reminded me that my mom calls me pet.

It's switched over the years.

Mack, Mac (tends to be the spelling my mother-in-law uses), Kenzie, Kenzers, Mckinley (only by 1 person though for that one).

Usually with mine it's the spelling that trips up people.

Then there's terms of endearment/pet names which aren't based off my name.

I always wanted a nicname
( on the boards here, cantw8 called me MC, not sure what she met by that)

I go by a nickname of my middle name and have since birth. I always wish my parents had made my middle name my first name, because it would have made life a lot easier!

I'm always surprised by how many people try to dr up my nickname into another nick name.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter