Do people call you by a nickname?

wilbret

DIS Veteran
I have never in my life gone by “Mike,” but for some reason at work, people refer to me as “Mike” all the time. It’s inconsequential, really, but I don’t care for it. I don’t introduce myself as Mike, sign emails as Mike, answer the phone as Mike, my biz cards don’t say Mike, my name placard doesn’t say Mike. Yet people call me Mike.

I’m thinking about replying to everyone that calls me Mike with 60% of their name.

I have never in my life gone by “Mike,” but for some reason at work, people refer to me as “Mike” all the time. It’s inconsequential, really, but I don’t care for it. I don’t introduce myself as Mike, sign emails as Mike, answer the phone as Mike, my biz cards don’t say Mike, my name placard doesn’t say Mike. Yet people call me Mike.

I’m thinking about replying to everyone that calls me Mike with 60% of their name.
You sound like my husband. He is David and loathes being called “Dave.” He’ll correct you once or twice but after that he won’t respond. When asked why he’ll reply “That’s not my name” and they tend to get the picture. He’s the same way about the kids names. Had to fight for my son’s name (William) because it has about a dozen different nicknames. My oldest DD does go by a shortened version of her name at home but only because the younger kids couldn’t say her full name when they were little. On the flip of that he gets called by a shortened version of our last name and doesn’t mind that. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Yes, there must be five or six different ones actually, depending on the group.

Incidentally, years ago I remember my brother saying that we immediate family members were the only ones who called him by the shortened version of his name, and that everyone else everywhere he had ever been, used his full name.

I prefer Kim, but that’s not really a nickname.

My user name is what my Dad used to call me when I was younger.

I’ll answer to anything but will give you the stink eye if you call me Kimmy.

I hate nicknames. I hate the ones my mother has given me out of endearment and I hate being called one at work. Although my name isn’t that difficult but yet saying “Shelbs” is more enjoyable for them than “Shelby”. However to me it’s nails on a chalkboard.

Me - a FEW call me a shortened version and I'm okay with THEM because of our close relationship. To the others that call me that version, who I don't consider to be close with it does bother me. They are stepping into territory they don't belong, and honestly I think they do it on purpose.

Kids - purposely chose names that would be difficult to shorten or nickname. DH does shorten DD name, it is endearing between them. When others do it I find it "offensive" because they have no permission to do so. DS's names can't be shortened and no one does.

To OP: 100% I would correct every single one them until they stop. "It's Michael, not Mike." with a smile.

Yep, though it's not a shortened one. I'm Dawn, friends call me Dusk. I like it better, it's not gendered and sounds a little goofy. My dad who was a Michael went by Mike to coworkers but 'Chong' to friends because of a strong physical resemblance to the comedian.

So, there is a British thing.... we don’t use shortened versions of names but use completely different, inexplicably different names. I suppose that they are ‘pet’ names, rather than ‘nicknames’. I have never been called the name on my birth certificate, nor have my children but I have no idea how the names we use came about. 🤷‍♀️

Me - a FEW call me a shortened version and I'm okay with THEM because of our close relationship. To the others that call me that version, who I don't consider to be close with it does bother me. They are stepping into territory they don't belong, and honestly I think they do it on purpose.

Kids - purposely chose names that would be difficult to shorten or nickname. DH does shorten DD name, it is endearing between them. When others do it I find it "offensive" because they have no permission to do so. DS's names can't be shortened and no one does.

To OP: 100% I would correct every single one them until they stop. "It's Michael, not Mike." with a smile.
Not sure about it being offensive but it is pretty presumptuous and a little rude. I feel the same way when someone uses my first name without being invited to. Worse is when someone like a teacher calls me “mom.”

Surprisingly to the best of my knowledge no one has ever tried to shorten my son’s name. I think it’s because it’s one of those names that get passed down people get that you need to differentiate. He’s the only one out of three that actually goes by William.
Yep, though it's not a shortened one. I'm Dawn, friends call me Dusk. I like it better, it's not gendered and sounds a little goofy. My dad who was a Michael went by Mike to coworkers but 'Chong' to friends because of a strong physical resemblance to the comedian.
Oh yeah, I grew up getting called Breezy or Stormy in place of Wendy. I also got called “Flower Child” as a play on my surname and my penchant for 70s Rock & Roll. My BIL and Best Friend call me Wendums, a nickname an ex boyfriend’s roommate gave me. My brother calls me Wendell because he’s a butthead. 😂 All my online friends call me Wen even after we’ve met in real life. It actually kind of takes me by surprise when someone uses my actual name.

My family calls me Nene (hence my username) some close friends call me V and a lot of close friends call both my husband and I by our last name. I do not like when people I barely know call me Nessa.

Oh a side note, when naming my son I wanted a name that could not be shortened into a nickname (so no Jonathan, Michael, Matthew, etc) His name is Liam and it’s still shocks me how many people try to call him Lee.

My family calls me Nene (hence my username) some close friends call me V and a lot of close friends call both my husband and I by our last name. I do not like when people I barely know call me Nessa.

Oh a side note, when naming my son I wanted a name that could not be shortened into a nickname (so no Jonathan, Michael, Matthew, etc) His name is Liam and it’s still shocks me how many people try to call him Lee.
It's amazing how tiring compound words are for some people. :)

I go by Kitty which is not even close to my real name. The #1 question I was always asked was how the heck did they get Kitty from your real name. I just said I must have had a lot of hair and a tail as a toddler. No pics to back that answer up, tho. :cat:

My Aunt Kitty's real name is Katherine. I understand Kitty is a common nickname for Katherine, Kathy, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter