Do not disturb gone (BLT)

It does not matter whether WE think it was the fault of Mandalay Bay or not. Lawsuits claiming negligence of the hotel have been filed. Insurance companies will do whatever they can to lower that financial risk, no matter who it inconveniences.

I'm really hoping that they only enter with the occupied sign if its been on the door for a very long time (I thought I read this somewhere)

I'm really hoping that they only enter with the occupied sign if its been on the door for a very long time (I thought I read this somewhere)

You are incorrect - I know it was long but my post describes both knocking, attempting to enter and calling despite the sign. They were not SUPPOSED to - according to the front desk - but did it anyway.

I’m going to put a sign on the door in addition to the occupied sign while I’m in the room that says,

“If you knock with the occupied sign, your tip will stay mine.”
Don't think those doing the checks are necessarily housekeepers. If they are security (which I think many of them are), your sign won't help. :)

Don't think those doing the checks are necessarily housekeepers. If they are security (which I think many of them are), your sign won't help. :)

Hopefully it can cause some infighting amongst staff. ("Your callous action cost me money!") And then there will be pressure on security to respect the wishes of both guests and the cleaning staff.

I’m going to put a sign on the door in addition to the occupied sign while I’m in the room that says,

“If you knock with the occupied sign, your tip will stay mine.”

Also, some folk forget to take down the sign when they leave. The staff will find they have to knock at some doors anyway.

I've worked many jobs over the years. From my experience, folk who hold payment/nonpayment over one's head like that don't tip extraordinarily well. In fact they're the ones who look for any little reason not to tip.

When leaving a note, our best bet is to keep it positive. A simple note stating: "Sleeping. Please return after XX" will get the best response.

Last edited:
When leaving a note, best bet keep it positive, a simple note stating "Sleeping, please return after XX" will get the best response.
That’s not snarky enough for posting (here I mean).

We are going to be there in a few weeks. I will likely just change my habit of leaving DND sign up 24/7 to just when I’m in the room.

But. If I’m going to change my behavior to accommodate Disney, then I expect them to accommodate me by checking the room while I’m gone and not bothering me about it.

We’re park commandos, so this shouldn’t be too difficult for Disney.

We shall see.

Thought I read yesterday that Hilton was doing the same thing. Won't be long before Marriot and other hotels follow I would imagine.

When I left this morning for the race I put the privacy please sign on the door because my family was still asleep. When I came back to the room, here is what was on the door....

We are at boardwalk villas.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 110
When I left this morning for the race I put the privacy please sign on the door because my family was still asleep. When I came back to the room, here is what was on the door....

We are at boardwalk villas.

Fair enough, as long as they did not disturb your family. They did say they were going to do this. Hope the race went well for you!

Fair enough, as long as they did not disturb your family. They did say they were going to do this. Hope the race went well for you!
They didn't disturb the family. I wasn't complaining....just letting folks know that the change was made.

They didn't disturb the family. I wasn't complaining....just letting folks know that the change was made.

Thanks for the update, glad it went well for your family at least. Sounds like others have had a harder time with it. Based on your username, good luck tomorrow (I'm guessing).

They are indeed housekeeping.

I was also there when you were there at BLT. This decision by DVC was not well communicated at all to the front desk, housekeeping and us unsuspecting members checking in the day after implementation. The first and second day was quite confusing, with housekeeping knocking and entering the studio part of our 2 bedroom lockoff where our son was trying to sleep....hard to keep the door latched because other family members were also using the studio. Later on in our stay, it seemed they "found their stride". One day DH was not feeling great and needed some extra sleep, so when I went out and about, I closed the bedroom door, put the bathroom garbage pail by the bedroom door and kept the "occupied" sign on the door, but DH did not latch the door behind me when I left because he would never hear me knocking if he was sleeping and I did not want to disturb him with a text. Around 5 pm while getting dinner ready (with sign still on the door) someone was knocking (hard to hear when in the kitchen making food prep noises) and it was some kind of supervisor (pretty sure she was a housekeeping supervisor). She needed to "check" the room, was very apologetic for intruding. She did not empty the trash (she was not regular housekeeping, and I assume regular housekeeping was mostly finished in our small wing)......then again, we had the sign on the door all day. I really don't care about someone emptying our trash and recycling....we've done it ourselves for 20 years when at our DVC.

What really irritated me was the people that stacked up their used pizza boxes in the hallway outside their door instead of taking the short walk to the trash room. I sincerely hope they DO NOT eliminate the trash room.....we use our DVC kitchen a lot and don't want lobster shells and chicken bones sitting in the kitchen overnight.

She needed to "check" the room, was very apologetic for intruding. She did not empty the trash (she was not regular housekeeping, and I assume regular housekeeping was mostly finished in our small wing)

What did the "check" consist of? Did she come in look around? did you have to leave the room?

If interested here is the new wording in the terms and conditions that you sign when you make reservations. Since nobody really reads them i figured i would post the part that applies to the subject of this thread. It is pasted unedited except for putting in the dashes for dots at the beginning of each line.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOUSEKEEPING/TRASH/TOWEL SERVICES

- Daily housekeeping services are not provided at Disney Vacation Club Resorts. However, daily housekeeping services are available for an additional fee and upon at least 24 hours notice.

–-- Please visit dvcmember.com for current rates.

–-- Upon check-in, ask for rates and assistance at the front desk or lobby concierge.

- For stays of seven days or less, trash and towel service is provided on day four.

- Four stays of eight or more days, full cleaning service is provided on day four and trash and towel service is provided on day eight. After that, the cycle begins again on day twelve.

- For all stays regardless of the length of the stay, daily trash removal will be provided.

- Please be advised that notwithstanding your use of a sign on your door, a request by you to forgo housekeeping services or any other request made by you, the hotel and its staff reserve the right to enter your room for any purposes including, but not limited to, performing maintenance and repairs or checking on the safety and security of Guests and property. The hotel staff will give reasonable notice prior to entry by knocking and announcing the intent to enter the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter