Do Not Disturb Gone! (BLT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is missing is if they will force the door open if a tag is hanging on the door, or if they may come back later.
I highly doubt that they will force enter any hotels rooms.(by way of bypassing the latch lock)... That is not going to happen. Under previous conditions and in all hotel rooms across America hotels reserve the right to enter by law your room...but they have done it after several days if you've left the DND sign up and management has been unable to contact you. Primarily to check to make sure you haven't died!.

But they state plainly that they will insist on an employee entering your room at least once a day. And all that has been discussed on this thread has validity and merit in the eyes of us the guests and our various acceptance or repulsion to what has been stated above. Nothing more nothing less. We are all entitled to our opinions about what we DO know what the MOUSE has stated on the record.

Last edited:
In reading this, I'm wondering if it is the housekeeping staff conducting the safety checks or if it is a separate CM entering the room? If it's the former, then that places a LOT of responsibility on the housekeeping staff, and if it's the latter, then that is a second intrusion/disturbance, which is quite inconvenient.

Almost all of my trips to WDW are to participate in the runDisney races. As many folks know, those races begin at stupid-early o'clock (around 5:30am), so I often shower and then nap once I get back to the room from running the races. I also typically participate in more than one race per trip, so there are multiple mornings like this. We're late-risers as it is, preferring to head to the parks around lunchtime and stay till closing and/or EMH. I'm a light sleeper, so even a (usually LOUD if it's housekeeping) knock on the door will startle me awake. If it's two in succession (housekeeper + CM conducting safety check), I will be quite ticked off.

This thread is getting incredibly silly. Baseless fourth amendment claims? Completely unfounded fears that Disney policy will lead to housekeepers searching through and stealing your things?
They do that now, some of them. Giving them unrestricted access will just make things worse.

In reading this, I'm wondering if it is the housekeeping staff conducting the safety checks or if it is a separate CM entering the room? If it's the former, then that places a LOT of responsibility on the housekeeping staff, and if it's the latter, then that is a second intrusion/disturbance, which is quite inconvenient.

Almost all of my trips to WDW are to participate in the runDisney races. As many folks know, those races begin at stupid-early o'clock (around 5:30am), so I often shower and then nap once I get back to the room from running the races. I also typically participate in more than one race per trip, so there are multiple mornings like this. We're late-risers as it is, preferring to head to the parks around lunchtime and stay till closing and/or EMH. I'm a light sleeper, so even a (usually LOUD if it's housekeeping) knock on the door will startle me awake. If it's two in succession (housekeeper + CM conducting safety check), I will be quite ticked off.

From Reuters and The National Review.....

Security Theater Comes to Disney World Resort (Benoit Tessier/Reuters) by KATHERINE TIMPF December 28, 2017 11:30 AM @KATTIMPF

A draconian new policy could allow the invasion of guests’ privacy without making anyone safer. Just when you thought Disney World couldn’t be a bigger nightmare, new security measures at some of its hotels are basically allowing Mickey Mouse and his obnoxious friends to invade your room. According to a piece in the Miami Herald, Walt Disney World Resort Hotels has removed the “do not disturb” signs from the rooms in three of its hotels and replaced them with “room occupied” signs as part of a new security policy. What’s more, a Disney cast member will now be required to enter each hotel room at least once per day to “ensure guest safety,” according to Walt Disney World News today. Disney has not explicitly stated its reasons for the new policy, but it seems to have been implemented in response to October’s Las Vegas shooting, when a man was able to enter a hotel room with a boatload of weapons and subsequently murder 58 people...................

The worst part, of course, is that the world isn’t really any safer from terrorism because of any of this. The exact same thing is true of this Disney World policy. First of all, it’s not hard to see how these new rules could ruin a vacation. Imagine this: You put up that “room occupied” sign, get into the bathtub, and put on some relaxing music. A Disney cast member — who knows only that the room is occupied, and not that it’s occupied by someone who doesn’t want to be bothered — starts knocking on the door. You can’t hear the knock over your music, and the next thing you know . . . a cartoon character is looking at you naked. Make no mistake: Disney’s new policy destroys the entire decompress-and-chill aspect of any vacation. Instead, you have to sit in your hotel room on edge all the time, knowing that at any moment, you might be expected to respond quickly to a knock at your door or else be joined by a dude in a Goofy suit. That doesn’t exactly sound relaxing — and, as it stands now, it isn’t going to make anyone any safer. Again, anyone who is really interested in hotel-based violence could probably get away with it regardless of this policy. He could make sure his weapons are easy to hide at a moment’s notice, and stay in his room to make sure that no one goes through his stuff. If a cast member tried to interfere in some way, then he could use the weapons on that person. Honestly, the only way that Disney could even hope to guarantee complete safety would be to arm its cast members with military-grade artillery, allowing them to enter into any room at any moment without knocking, and demanding that they search through everyone’s stuff. Yes, Las Vegas was terrifying and tragic, but would anyone really want to stay in a hotel that’s overrun with a gun-wielding, cartoon-costume-wearing army? That kind of scene may sound far-fetched, but when you think about it, it’s really not. After all, our society clearly has a penchant for valuing a false sense of security over privacy and civil liberties. People will willingly accept government surveillance and unnecessarily invasive pat-downs just because they’re told those measures are for their own “safety,” without thinking about whether that’s true — or about the liberty that’s being lost in the process.

Last edited:
Im pretty disappointed with all the pouting on this thread, as others have said if you dont like the new policy, stay elsewhere. Disney is doing the best they reasonably can to keep people safe, imagine the alternative: something like what happened in las Vegas happening at WDW.
It’s not pouting..what I see are people justifiably upset over a stupid policy. There are things people can do to fight back against this, so it’s beneficial to talk about it.

It’s not pouting..what I see are people justifiably upset over a stupid policy. There are things people can do to fight back against this, so it’s beneficial to talk about it.

Hilton is doing the same thing. Not just a Disney policy.

Just throwing this out there...what about people who are females traveling alone? Or people who practice religions where the genders aren’t supposed to mix? People who have sexual abuse in their background? Are they going to make an effort to provide same gender inspectors?

Are these people doing the room checks going to have proper background checks? I’m a nurse and had to get fingerprinted in my state some years back. Maybe they should do this for them, since sometimes there are young teenagers who are in the room alone.

Just throwing this out there...what about people who are females traveling alone? Or people who practice religions where the genders aren’t supposed to mix? People who have sexual abuse in their background? Are they going to make an effort to provide same gender inspectors?

It doesn't sound like an inspection where they are going to come and go over your room. More like a look.

I'm also thinking if I was alone, had someone who wanted to inspect the room and I felt uncomfortable, I would step outside. You are really reaching with some of your What Ifs. They are not coming in to go over you and your room with a white glove.

From Reuters and The National Review.....

Security Theater Comes to Disney World Resort (Benoit Tessier/Reuters) by KATHERINE TIMPF December 28, 2017 11:30 AM @KATTIMPF

A draconian new policy could allow the invasion of guests’ privacy without making anyone safer. Just when you thought Disney World couldn’t be a bigger nightmare, new security measures at some of its hotels are basically allowing Mickey Mouse and his obnoxious friends to invade your room. According to a piece in the Miami Herald, Walt Disney World Resort Hotels has removed the “do not disturb” signs from the rooms in three of its hotels and replaced them with “room occupied” signs as part of a new security policy. What’s more, a Disney cast member will now be required to enter each hotel room at least once per day to “ensure guest safety,” according to Walt Disney World News today. Disney has not explicitly stated its reasons for the new policy, but it seems to have been implemented in response to October’s Las Vegas shooting, when a man was able to enter a hotel room with a boatload of weapons and subsequently murder 58 people.

The worst part, of course, is that the world isn’t really any safer from terrorism because of any of this. The exact same thing is true of this Disney World policy. First of all, it’s not hard to see how these new rules could ruin a vacation. Imagine this: You put up that “room occupied” sign, get into the bathtub, and put on some relaxing music. A Disney cast member — who knows only that the room is occupied, and not that it’s occupied by someone who doesn’t want to be bothered — starts knocking on the door. You can’t hear the knock over your music, and the next thing you know . . . a cartoon character is looking at you naked. Make no mistake: Disney’s new policy destroys the entire decompress-and-chill aspect of any vacation. Instead, you have to sit in your hotel room on edge all the time, knowing that at any moment, you might be expected to respond quickly to a knock at your door or else be joined by a dude in a Goofy suit. That doesn’t exactly sound relaxing — and, as it stands now, it isn’t going to make anyone any safer. Again, anyone who is really interested in hotel-based violence could probably get away with it regardless of this policy. He could make sure his weapons are easy to hide at a moment’s notice, and stay in his room to make sure that no one goes through his stuff. If a cast member tried to interfere in some way, then he could use the weapons on that person. Honestly, the only way that Disney could even hope to guarantee complete safety would be to arm its cast members with military-grade artillery, allowing them to enter into any room at any moment without knocking, and demanding that they search through everyone’s stuff. Yes, Las Vegas was terrifying and tragic, but would anyone really want to stay in a hotel that’s overrun with a gun-wielding, cartoon-costume-wearing army? That kind of scene may sound far-fetched, but when you think about it, it’s really not. After all, our society clearly has a penchant for valuing a false sense of security over privacy and civil liberties. People will willingly accept government surveillance and unnecessarily invasive pat-downs just because they’re told those measures are for their own “safety,” without thinking about whether that’s true — or about the liberty that’s being lost in the process.

Sorry, but this is ridiculous. It's as if it were written by someone who has taken notes on this thread.

Disney and Hilton aren't going to be the only hotel franchises to remove the DND signs. I'm sure Marriot and the others are in the process of changing their policies as well.

I'm not going to try stress about the knock on the door as I decompress in my room. If they come by and see the Room Occupied sign they will probably just come back later. If you're worried about being interrupted by the room check, just call housekeeping and say, "Hey, we're going to be taking a nap so if you can avoid doing a room check between 1-3 that would be great."

As with everything new, there is going to be a learning curve for everyone. Disney. Us. Everyone. It's not going to go away. Adjustments will probably be made, but the room checks are here. Heck, they may have already started doing the room checks but decided to make it public.

It doesn't sound like an inspection where they are going to come and go over your room. More like a look.

I'm also thinking if I was alone, had someone who wanted to inspect the room and I felt uncomfortable, I would step outside. You are really reaching with some of your What Ifs. They are not coming in to go over you and your room with a white glove.
Well, we don’t know the details yet. Could be fairly low key or it could be intrusive..just playing devil’s advocate. Have they stated whether or not they will wait for you to answer the door or are they going to come in unannounced?

I read something the other day about fake pizza delivery people dropping flyers at resorts. According to what I read, these people are less than magical. That’s a bit of a concern, too, with this new policy.
I hope the security people are able to identify themselves in a way no one else could.

Well, we don’t know the details yet. Could be fairly low key or it could be intrusive..just playing devil’s advocate. Have they stated whether or not they will wait for you to answer the door or are they going to come in unannounced?

I'd really like to know that too. I think if they barge in it will get ugly very quickly. Which is why I can't see that happening. Disney has to tread very carefully with this. As does the Hilton group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter