DisneyWorld too expensive for Canadians?

Not familiar with Attraction Ticket - is this legit? Seems like a crazy good deal 14 day full hopper/water park plus memory maker for $2745 CAD (2 Adults 1 Child). UT has 10 day full hopper/water for $3525 and Disney direct is almost $4000 (10 day with memory).

That ticket seller is UK based, any issues with non UK residents using their tickets?
Quite a few people here have used them. No proof of residence is required. I'm going to use them for my next trip in January 2024. Hope Disney doesn't clue in by that time. Their ticket gives you park hopping,water parks, memory maker and a free magic band in 2023. They also have a longer time after first use for expiry, I think 18 days.

As we patiently wait for 2024 pricing, I'm thoroughly reading threads exploring my options on how to get us to WDW without putting us in the poor house. We haven't been since 2017 and since then I've had a DS (will be 4 years old) and now my parents are both retired so their incomes are significantly reduced.
We've been fortunate enough in the past to do 6-10 day trips in the past and have only ever booked directly with Disney, but am now realistically having to consider other options. Would ideally like to be at WDW end of April into May 2024 for 9 nights with 7 park days. I like what I'm hearing about Attraction Tickets am also curious about renting DVC points, is this a good idea? Somewhere specific I should be looking to do this legitly and safely?

As we patiently wait for 2024 pricing, I'm thoroughly reading threads exploring my options on how to get us to WDW without putting us in the poor house. We haven't been since 2017 and since then I've had a DS (will be 4 years old) and now my parents are both retired so their incomes are significantly reduced.
We've been fortunate enough in the past to do 6-10 day trips in the past and have only ever booked directly with Disney, but am now realistically having to consider other options. Would ideally like to be at WDW end of April into May 2024 for 9 nights with 7 park days. I like what I'm hearing about Attraction Tickets am also curious about renting DVC points, is this a good idea? Somewhere specific I should be looking to do this legitly and safely?
Before we bought our DVC resale we always rented points and loved saving the money. I would look on the DVC Rent/Transfer thread here on the Disboards. There are many DVC rental companies but it is usually quite a bit cheaper to just work directly with a DVC member through these boards than a rental company. I would suggest Googling a DVC point calculator and plugging in the dates that you want to travel (check-in date and check-out date) to give you an idea of the amount of points you want to rent. That should give you a rough budget especially when you factor in the price per point that a DVC member is asking. Keep in mind that cancelling may mean you have to forfeit your funds since that member may not be able to rent out those points again if it is past their banking window, etc. Just something to keep in mind when renting through a member and not Disney. We have never cancelled a trip before, but it is a risk - you just have to decide if it is a risk you are willing to accept - we were. We also purchase our tickets through Attraction Tickets as we go for a couple of weeks anyway.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that cancelling may mean you have to forfeit your funds since that member may not be able to rent out those points again if it is past their banking window, etc. Just something to keep in mind when renting through a member and not Disney. We have never cancelled a trip before, but it is a risk - you just have to decide if it is a risk you are willing to accept - we were. We also purchase our tickets through Attraction Tickets as we go for a couple of weeks anyway.
It's the risk part that makes me nervous, which is why its something I've never done before. Maybe its time to just suck it up and give it a go.

We are Canadian and DVC. It has not stopped us from going at all (we still go 3x each year), but some of the changes have caused us to spend less for sure. It generally doesn't affect how we travel there and our overall approach to Disney vacations. But, they're getting less from us than they used to in terms of discretionary extra $$.

Personally, I don’t feel that renting DVC points is a low cost way to go. Do you legit need the larger space or is it more of a hotel snob scenario? I’m a hotel snob for sure but im not likely to waste money on DVC if I don’t truly need that type of accommodation. There are so many better things to spend on at WDW. I much prefer quantity when it comes to holiday time. I will gladly give up mod or deluxe resorts if it gets me more days. LOL…I just passed on mod/deluxe resort because of the exchange rate. Staying at the All Stars on a CM rate felt great!

If your entire family wants to stay together your best option might be either an offsite house rental or timeshare resort. I’ve never paid more than $150/might for a 2 bedroom timeshare. Even factoring in parking and car rental it’s less money than onsite.

Wdw has forgotten About the middle class and has gotten too greedy IMO. $300/night for a moderate hotel with outside motel entries is ridiculous. Compare to Universal Sapphire Falls for less.
In addition park tickets & food have gone way up. More so than other parks. Then add how complicated wdw trip planning has become. Used to go 2x a year with AP. Now only an occasional visit.

Personally, I don’t feel that renting DVC points is a low cost way to go. Do you legit need the larger space or is it more of a hotel snob scenario? I’m a hotel snob for sure but im not likely to waste money on DVC if I don’t truly need that type of accommodation. There are so many better things to spend on at WDW. I much prefer quantity when it comes to holiday time. I will gladly give up mod or deluxe resorts if it gets me more days. LOL…I just passed on mod/deluxe resort because of the exchange rate. Staying at the All Stars on a CM rate felt great!

If your entire family wants to stay together your best option might be either an offsite house rental or timeshare resort. I’ve never paid more than $150/might for a 2 bedroom timeshare. Even factoring in parking and car rental it’s less money than onsite.
This is a good way to go for a family - ESPECIALLY if you're going to do other touristy things outside of WDW.

With the slow cancellation of a lot of the on-site perks, its making less and less sense to stay on-property. Heck, with the money you save on the hotel, you can buy extra park days and then you REALLY won't feel like you're missing out.

I've stayed in Values for years now and have no regrets. I'm never in the room anyway and rarely spend time using any resort amenities and don't eat in the resort restaurant. I use the room as a safe place to sleep and get cleaned up. I def use the WDW transportation esp the buses as an easy way to get to and from the parks without the hassle of renting a car. I can stretch my vacation budget to a week and a half with AS Sports and it works perfectly for me. I'm a solo traveler and for singles or couples you can't do better. I've stayed at mods and deluxe resorts years ago and resented spending the money on a room and property that I never spent enough time at to get my money worth. The room upgrades at the Values have been a wonderful plus.

Years ago, my next door neighbours decided to rent a time share apartment in Orlando that had its own lazy river. They were a family of 5 with teenagers and knew none of the WDW resort properties would fit them or work with their budget. They had a great week and split their time between WDW and Universal. For larger families and family groups traveling together, off site rentals are the way to go.

We've never looked into point rentals and we did pretty extensively yesterday and are not impressed. It is definitely not much of a cost saving measure. We are by no means hotel snobs and have been quiet content in the past staying at value resorts to ensure more park time and money for food, drinks and souvenirs. We do however prefer to stay on site, we like being in the bubble.
Wdw has forgotten About the middle class and has gotten too greedy IMO. $300/night for a moderate hotel with outside motel entries is ridiculous. Compare to Universal Sapphire Falls for less.
In addition park tickets & food have gone way up. More so than other parks. Then add how complicated wdw trip planning has become. Used to go 2x a year with AP. Now only an occasional visit.
Our stays at Universal, cost wise, have always been better priced compared to stays at Disney and their value resorts are sooooo much nicer. We're opting not to go to Universal for this upcoming trip because there isn't much for my 4 year old to do at Universal like there will be at WDW.

We've never looked into point rentals and we did pretty extensively yesterday and are not impressed. It is definitely not much of a cost saving measure. We are by no means hotel snobs and have been quiet content in the past staying at value resorts to ensure more park time and money for food, drinks and souvenirs. We do however prefer to stay on site, we like being in the bubble.
Sorry if I missed this - but how many are you? The cost savings really comes into play when your party is 6+ and you compare booking 2 hotel-side rooms VS a 1Br DVC suite. If you're happy and have enough room in a value, there's really no benefit to renting points because DVC studio suites will be on par with moderate/deluxe pricing.

If you're still shopping around, the best points value you'll find is likely Saratoga Springs.

Sorry if I missed this - but how many are you? The cost savings really comes into play when your party is 6+ and you compare booking 2 hotel-side rooms VS a 1Br DVC suite. If you're happy and have enough room in a value, there's really no benefit to renting points because DVC studio suites will be on par with moderate/deluxe pricing.

If you're still shopping around, the best points value you'll find is likely Saratoga Springs.
There's just 4 of us, but we don't like to be on top of one another if we don't have to be. BUT, if we had to be, we'd fight, but we'd survive.

We have never looked into renting DVC points before and didn't even really know how it worked until yesterday. Had no idea about the pricing and the points etc. Only now learning that it may not be a great option for us. Will see next week when pricing for 2024 goes live and we start putting together spreadsheets with options.

Thanks for your input everyone. Stay tuned as we hope (fingers crossed) to have something booked by the end of next week.

There's just 4 of us, but we don't like to be on top of one another if we don't have to be. BUT, if we had to be, we'd fight, but we'd survive.

We have never looked into renting DVC points before and didn't even really know how it worked until yesterday. Had no idea about the pricing and the points etc. Only now learning that it may not be a great option for us. Will see next week when pricing for 2024 goes live and we start putting together spreadsheets with options.

Thanks for your input everyone. Stay tuned as we hope (fingers crossed) to have something booked by the end of next week.
I'll just throw this out there - take a look a the bathroom setup for any of the DVC suites you consider renting. Many of them have a split bath, with 2 shower facilities. This is something you won't find in any standard hotel room, and could go a long way to making you feel more comfortable in a single room together. It's a sort of non-monetary benefit if you will.

We've never looked into point rentals and we did pretty extensively yesterday and are not impressed.
This is interesting. I made a cost comparison on an upcoming stay, and renting DVC points through Dave's was a 35% savings over the rack rate. This is on a 1-Bedroom villa at BWV. The only caveat is that there is now a 25% off offer, so the results are less impressive with that factored in.

We have rented DVC points for years now, and, more recently have upgraded to 2-Bedroom Villas as the kids got older. It's always saved us a considerable amount of money.

This is interesting. I made a cost comparison on an upcoming stay, and renting DVC points through Dave's was a 35% savings over the rack rate. This is on a 1-Bedroom villa at BWV. The only caveat is that there is now a 25% off offer, so the results are less impressive with that factored in.

We have rented DVC points for years now, and, more recently have upgraded to 2-Bedroom Villas as the kids got older. It's always saved us a considerable amount of money.
It's from shared experiences like this one, that we'll definitely take the numbers we've seen on Dave's and compare them to rack rates for some different options. Dave's is definitely not off the table yet....

It's the risk part that makes me nervous, which is why its something I've never done before. Maybe its time to just suck it up and give it a go.
We rented points in 2020 for OKW. It averaged about $210/ night in January. All Star resorts are cheaper so well be staying there for our next trip.

If the cost to rent points is close to a regular room at a moderate or value resort, you need to consider that DVC rooms qualify for extended evening hours and that's quite a perk to have

We are Canadian and DVC. It has not stopped us from going at all (we still go 3x each year), but some of the changes have caused us to spend less for sure. It generally doesn't affect how we travel there and our overall approach to Disney vacations. But, they're getting less from us than they used to in terms of discretionary extra $$.
We are the same.. Canadian DVC owner, fully paid off .. due to the banking of points during Covid shut down and the APs that we had purchased and not activated we went 3 times last year .. and have a 14 day trip booked this summer… we have always said there are tons of ways to make a disney trip cheaper /more affordable and just as enjoyable.. 3 trips last year and we never used Genie plus or purchased a lightning lane.

-Driving saves a ton and luckily our kids love road trips and are amazing in the car
-Use the DVC in room kitchenette
-use extended hours/early entry to avoid using genie/LL
-hit Walmart/Publix before we check in for snacks and fresh food for the room

Those are 4 big money savers for us

How are we feeling about the dining plan pricing that was released this morning?

DDP 94.28/29.69 - with today's exchange rate on xe $128.20/40.37
QSDP 57.01/23.83 - with today's exchange rate on xe $77.52/32.40

Our family were big fans of the dining plan in the past, having done both forms the plan that are currently being offered. Most of the time we got the plan for "free" but were always happy with the outcome and felt we were making the most of it financially that there were occasions where we did pay for the plan upfront. We've always like the convenience of paying in advance as well and have to worry about it when on vacation.

As we continue to wait for Disney IT to pull itself together so we can see some actual resort and ticket pricing for next year, we're contemplating the QSDP and working out all sorts of "sample menus" to see if we're able to break even.

How are we feeling about the dining plan pricing that was released this morning?

DDP 94.28/29.69 - with today's exchange rate on xe $128.20/40.37
QSDP 57.01/23.83 - with today's exchange rate on xe $77.52/32.40

Our family were big fans of the dining plan in the past, having done both forms the plan that are currently being offered. Most of the time we got the plan for "free" but were always happy with the outcome and felt we were making the most of it financially that there were occasions where we did pay for the plan upfront. We've always like the convenience of paying in advance as well and have to worry about it when on vacation.

As we continue to wait for Disney IT to pull itself together so we can see some actual resort and ticket pricing for next year, we're contemplating the QSDP and working out all sorts of "sample menus" to see if we're able to break even.
It's way over priced, especially if your kids are older than 9 cause then they are basically an adult. For my family we would never eat $128 worth of food per person each day. Since we don't do character meals it really is not a good value.

Here is an example for quick service dining plan.

Two meals at Satu'li Canteen with a non-alcoholic fountain soda beverage comes out to $37.56 per person+ $5.19 for a popcorn cup.
Total of $45.74 (with tax) for the day... Is the refillable resort mug truly worth $11+ if you are at the parks all day? Maybe on your one pool/relaxation day... but other than that, I don't see the value of the plan.

I know people use it as a way to "control" your budget, but that extra $11 can either save you $100-200 or could be spent on merch/additional snacks if you wish to spend it.

And Satu'li is on the higher end of QSR options, so ordering chicken tenders/burgers will result in an even greater loss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter