DisneyWorld too expensive for Canadians?

I'm sad to say we have only stayed at Disney World once, when our kids were 6 and 11. Now they are 19 and 24.

We managed a Universal Studios trip in 2019 and I was able to sneak in MNSSHP tickets and 1-day at Animal Kingdom.

When my son was 13 (the then 6 year old at WDW), he and I got to visit Disneyland from a trip to California I won. My daughter visited Disneyland on a high school trip to California she paid for out of her newspaper collection savings.

We are trying to get a short trip back to Disney World, staying on-site, next September. I priced out the Play, Stay, Dine to get an estimate. 3 people, 8 nights at All-Sports (2 queen standard room), 5-day park tickets = $3,929 CAN. Plus meals, flights, and my husband & daughter want a 2-park 1 day at Universal, and whatever else. If we go, we already came to the agreement that our daughter has to pay her share as a working adult. But still...

As much as I'd love to go back, I'd rather spend the money on something we haven't done like an Alaskan cruise, or a trip to Ireland (my husband's side of the family), or take my Dad back to Italy.

I tried to talk her into Disneyland as I'd love to go back to California but apparently she didn't like it. I loved it.
We priced out for 9 nights in September 2023 through the same package you listed above, it was 2979 USD/4000 CAD for my mom and myself, AS sports Standard room, 6 day park hopper. We ended up changing to a room only package with the new Summer discount and purchased our tickets through Attraction Tickets (14 day Park Hopper/Memory Maker) and even with the exchange have ended up saving ourselves about 550$$ CAD! I find if you really have to "Shop" around for the "Best Deal" right now!

It's the tickets that get you. We're big travelers and good at finding deals, but every vacation 'destination' is crazy expensive right now. It's the same price for us to go on a cruise as to go to Disney World. The kids havent been since before Covid (I've been several times for Travel Agent things) but we're taking them back next year.

It's the tickets that get you. We're big travelers and good at finding deals, but every vacation 'destination' is crazy expensive right now. It's the same price for us to go on a cruise as to go to Disney World. The kids havent been since before Covid (I've been several times for Travel Agent things) but we're taking them back next year.
I think that's it. They really get you once you start adding on hoppers and planning to go every day. For my family, I think it's good that we're the type that like to space things out, so going to a park every other day wouldn't be out of the question for us.

But overall, some of the prices you folks are throwing out are insane! I thought the cost of my France trip this summer was high, and now I need to rethink that.

I think that's it. They really get you once you start adding on hoppers and planning to go every day. For my family, I think it's good that we're the type that like to space things out, so going to a park every other day wouldn't be out of the question for us.

But overall, some of the prices you folks are throwing out are insane! I thought the cost of my France trip this summer was high, and now I need to rethink that.
There are so many factors that change price. We're doing Europe this year and it'll be far more expensive than Disney has ever been for us. Flights alone are double what it costs for us to fly to Florida. It's a long haul from West Coast Canada to Rome, Italy, haha.

Now, that being said, we dont eat out three meals a day at Disney, and we often skip hoppers now as well. We won't be purchasing Genie+ either. We rent DVC and get the price of a deluxe for the same price as a moderate.

If you are talking DCL then it’s not cheaper than going to the parks. We just went on a 7 night cruise as guests of a CM. We got approx 40% discount on the cruise only portion. When every else was added in we still spent nearly $6000 for 2 people.

If you are talking DCL then it’s not cheaper than going to the parks. We just went on a 7 night cruise as guests of a CM. We got approx 40% discount on the cruise only portion. When every else was added in we still spent nearly $6000 for 2 people.
We generally sail Royal Caribbean. We paid 6200k CAD for five people on their brand new ship in January. Kids Sail Free.

For me all these prices that are being thrown out for Europe or cruises is insane. We are doing a 5 day trip to Cedar Point in a few weeks and its only costing us $1000.

There are so many factors that change price. We're doing Europe this year and it'll be far more expensive than Disney has ever been for us. Flights alone are double what it costs for us to fly to Florida. It's a long haul from West Coast Canada to Rome, Italy, haha.

Now, that being said, we dont eat out three meals a day at Disney, and we often skip hoppers now as well. We won't be purchasing Genie+ either. We rent DVC and get the price of a deluxe for the same price as a moderate.
Definitely pricey getting to Europe. Would've been around $6000 for the four of us YYZ-CDG but we had reward points to cover that. But even with that it's probably going to be about $15K for two weeks and four cities in France.

I've said it before but DCL is good if you like having an immersive themed experience. They're really good about that. But if you go on any other cruise line you'll still find things that you will love. They just won't be branded with the Mouse.

I've said it before but DCL is good if you like having an immersive themed experience. They're really good about that. But if you go on any other cruise line you'll still find things that you will love. They just won't be branded with the Mouse.
We are definitely not cruise people. We only went to visit our DD working onboard….that’s how we got the discount. I’m on the fence as to whether it is a more ‘immersive’ experience. If you are into character M&G’s then 1000% yes but the overall experience I feel like that’s a no. Maybe I’m too much of a parks fan. Don’t get me wrong, we had a great time…until I got extremely sick. We will for sure be going again to visit but it’s highly unlikely that we will do other cruise lines. Just not our style.

Last edited:
Definitely pricey getting to Europe. Would've been around $6000 for the four of us YYZ-CDG but we had reward points to cover that. But even with that it's probably going to be about $15K for two weeks and four cities in France.

Agreed. If you want DISNEY without the rides and rushing around, then DCL is ideal. When my kids were toddlers it was wonderful. Now that they’re a bit older, they want the activities!

Agreed. If you want DISNEY without the rides and rushing around, then DCL is ideal. When my kids were toddlers it was wonderful. Now that they’re a bit older, they want the activities!
If you are wanting to participate then it's nothing but rushing around. In particular, for the shorter cruises. We were far busier than we anticipated being....partially because DD wanted us to attend most of her work stuff. I have to think though that regular guests would have a very similar experience. If you are only wanting to be in a place with Disney theme ...it's far to expensive for just that. I have stayed at WDW (several times) and not gone to the parks. Got the theme and vibe of it all with a fairly small price tag.

LOL....told DD that next visit we will be hanging out at the adult area or on our verandah and she can come visit us.

We have been 10 times in nine years with the last trip in January 2020. My children have grown up and want to do other things. We feel lucky for the visits when it was still pure Disney. I would only go again to watch again the Christmas Parade.

Our last trip was January 2020 before the pandemic. We are currently planning a trip for January 2025. From my rough calculations, the same trip from 2020 will be approximately $1800CDN more partially because of Genie+, no more Magical Express, rising food costs, rising ticket costs etc. Not to mention our dollar isnt good.

Our last trip was January 2020 before the pandemic. We are currently planning a trip for January 2025. From my rough calculations, the same trip from 2020 will be approximately $1800CDN more partially because of Genie+, no more Magical Express, rising food costs, rising ticket costs etc. Not to mention our dollar isnt good.
Just curious how many people / days the trip was and if you stayed on site.

Sounds about right. Our flight costs have almost doubled too 🙈 We use to pay $400 per person round trip. It’s now $600-650.

We took our kids when they were younger 6 times between 2013 and 2018. Now they are both Disney adults, and we have ventured towards Universal as at 11 and 14 they are thrill ride junkies.
That being said, they are desperate to go back to Disney. We are in Orlando in 2 weeks, and they have talked me in 1 single solitary day at MK.
That day is going to cost me $677 US to just walk through the gate. Seeing as we only have the one day, I feel like I will get Genie+, so add on another $60-100 for the 4 of us. Plus food. And Mickey ice cream bars of course.

They have given up other excursions on our trip to do this one day, so from a money spent point of view it is within our vacation budget, but we are getting one day at Disney (which I know is the most expensive way to do the parks) instead of 3 or 4 other excursions. But we don't know when/if we will ever get back for a full trip, both my girls are in rep hockey and the older one is about to start a job....but it is sooooo expensive. I'm just trying to focus on how good it will be to be back there after so long.

We took our kids when they were younger 6 times between 2013 and 2018. Now they are both Disney adults, and we have ventured towards Universal as at 11 and 14 they are thrill ride junkies.
That being said, they are desperate to go back to Disney. We are in Orlando in 2 weeks, and they have talked me in 1 single solitary day at MK.
That day is going to cost me $677 US to just walk through the gate. Seeing as we only have the one day, I feel like I will get Genie+, so add on another $60-100 for the 4 of us. Plus food. And Mickey ice cream bars of course.

They have given up other excursions on our trip to do this one day, so from a money spent point of view it is within our vacation budget, but we are getting one day at Disney (which I know is the most expensive way to do the parks) instead of 3 or 4 other excursions. But we don't know when/if we will ever get back for a full trip, both my girls are in rep hockey and the older one is about to start a job....but it is sooooo expensive. I'm just trying to focus on how good it will be to be back there after so long.
Seeing that price keeps from wanting to visit anymore. We want to take our 3 year old daughter but the value isn't there anymore. We have found a lot of other parks that cost less and value more right now. It's sad to see how much they have priced people out.

Just curious how many people / days the trip was and if you stayed on site.

2020 was 2 adults staying at OKW for 5 days. We rented points from the forum.

2025 will add a 2yr old which we just have to feed. This time will we be staying 8 days at Movies or Music to try and save some money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter