Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some help making a decision. We are a family of 5 (myself, hubby, three kids ages 14, 11, and 5) planning on staying at the Wilderness this spring. We can't decide between a Studio Villa or a Deluxe Room Club Level. Also can't decide about the meal plan. We stayed at the Wilderness in 2010 and loved it, but we were a family of 4 then in a regular non-club level room. Stayed at PORS in 2014 with the meal plan, but disliked how small the rooms were, the lack of a balcony, how spread out the resort is, and how long we had to wait for the buses, etc. So, we know we will enjoy the Wilderness, but is the Club Level worth it? Also the meal plan is so pricey now that we have 4 Disney adults--is it worth it? Thanks for any input!!!!
The dining plan is a break even deal for most people, and that is when you would have ordered all that food normally, without the dining plan. If you plan to eat a sit down table service meal every night for dinner, especially if they are character meals, then the dining plan might be worth it. But if you don't plan to eat sit down dinners every night then you might want to eat out of pocket.

Looking into Christmas villa rentals and we're torn between savannah view AK and standard view Wilderness. Which would you choose?
The nice thing about WL is the easy access to Magic Kingdom. The boat is a great way to travel to and from the park. There is also a direct bus to MK.

Quick question on the Splash Pad area: Do they strictly enforce the 48 inch rule? I ask because I have a very big 5 year old DD (probably 50'') who will be really sad not to play on the splash pad, especially since she has a very small 4 year old little brother who will fit unde 48 inches. Have stayed at the Poly before and she may have been 48+ at the time and they did not say anything to us or others who appeared over 48 inches. She knows how to be careful around the little ones.
I would hope that they would allow a tall 5 year old to play with their sibling in the splash pad. I would think that the purpose of the height requirement is to keep out the older kids, not a five year old.

So with the construction, has Disney eliminated the woods view category? If so, are those rooms now classified under a standard view?
Yes, the woods view rooms are now classified as standard view. We have a standard view room booked and hope to get one of the nice wood view room. :) But there are still standard view rooms that you could get instead of the former woods view rooms.

Last edited:
Checking in to WL on Saturday!! I had wanted to try to be the Flag family during our visit but IPO actually called me this week and asked if I had any questions so I asked her where I go to sign up for Flag family and she told me that due to the construction they are not currently doing Flag family. Just wanted to let you know in case anyone else going soon had wanted to try to do this.

Thanks to each of you who have posted letters from the WL GM regarding your upcoming stays and also, thanks to all who have been posting photos. For some reason, they aren't loading properly today, but thank you!

I have a standard room Club Level booked for June, my only request is for bunk beds as my DS is 2 and DD 15. Never stayed Club level at WL before. Is the standard room allocation for Club level guests allocated the same as a standard room for Non Club Level guests ? Is there a specific floor you are given for Club level even though you have a standard room ? Hope that makes sense !!

I am on touring plans and not sure if it worth selecting a room request to be faxed ?

Thanks

If you're staying Club Level, all requests can be emailed or called in to the new Disney Signature Services. They have replaced the onsite Itinerary Planning Offices:

407-939-7777
disney.signature.services@disneyworld.com

Hi guys I'm new ! We have trip planned for sept 7-14 at WL and I am so excited! It's our first time at a deluxe resort we have stayed at ASM and CB. Plus off resort property. This is going to be my husband and I and our two boys, 8 and 4.

Welcome to the thread, @Stephanie Ussery. I'll log your dates:)

I got the same e-mail this morning they didnt give an ending date but we are there from March 4-13.

Oh and hi by the way! I'm useually lurking around the thread and haven't introduced myself yet. This will be our first time at Wilderness lodge and club level and I'm really excited!

Howdy and welcome! I'll get your dates logged.

Hi all! Haven't been on here is a while..we are coming from March 24-30

Welcome back and I'll add your dates to the log.

What time do the boats start running and how frequently do they come? Also, How frequently do early busss run? I have tickets to EMM and trying to figure out the best mode of transport and what time to be at the bus stop/boat dock.

I think the TRANSPORTATION chapter of the thread might help you. But, for Early Morning Magic, I would take the MK bus. There is one for early ADRs that leaves around 0630-0700, but ask the night before or at check-in for a more precise time.

Hey WDWKOOK! We're coming home!!!! The first part of our June trip will be 4 glorious days at our WDW Home............The Wilderness Lodge. We'll be there from June 21st to June 24th. The last part of our split stay extravaganza is a few days at POP Century (more of a look for a future trip :) )

Please add us to the list. :D

Doug :goofy:

Welcome home, Doug! I'd be happy to add your dates:)

We are returning to WL! Yay! It's been a year or so since we stayed there. DH and I are heading down for the Dark Side weekend. We picked WL for this stay. It's more than time for another WL stay. Can't wait.

Welcome back, @AngiTN:)

Wow, this is an awesome thread! We are staying at WL for the first time this fall (Sept. 17-22).
Welcome and congratulations on booking:)

Hello all! Just back from a last minute trip to the Wilderness Lodge last week. I just wanted to share my thoughts with all on this board because i learned so much great info and want to pay it forward. I have stayed at the Poly, AKL, CBR and Fort Wilderness Cabins. The Wilderness Lodge is by far my favorite I ever stayed at!! Every time I walked into the front entrance from the first to last time I looked up in awe in the atrium!! Just spectacular!! All CM's were amazing! Ate at the roaring fork and enjoyed it. Transportation was spot on! We had a standard view and when we saw our actual view...there was a castle in it!!!!! It took our breath away!! Loved seeing wishes every night!! Construction did not bother us at all and we were right over it. We also had the loading dock and smoke house right next to us and was no issue. We were in room 4034. Picture below is of our view. We loved it so much we booked a bounce back for the fall as there is so much we didn't get to do! I hope this helps future guests as you all have helped me!!View attachment 215782

Thanks for posting about your stay and YAY for the BB!

Hi all - great thread!

Staying at WL 3/18 to 3/21 and excited/nervous to see all that's going on.

Welcome to the thread and I'll get your dates logged:)

Checking in to WL on Saturday!! I had wanted to try to be the Flag family during our visit but IPO actually called me this week and asked if I had any questions so I asked her where I go to sign up for Flag family and she told me that due to the construction they are not currently doing Flag family. Just wanted to let you know in case anyone else going soon had wanted to try to do this.

Thank you for reporting about FF and I hope you have a wonderful stay:)

Last edited:
Hi Everyone, We just got a reservation for myself, husband, and our two nephews to the Wilderness Lodge for June. I just wanted to know how construction was going. Will it be finished or near finished by June? Just wondering.

We chose to stay at WL over POR in September 2016 and were very happy with our choice. We knew about the construction and which amenities would be closed, and it didn't affect our trip much at all. We booked our bounce back for WL this August so we can enjoy some of the new aspects of the resort.

GrandCalifornian, I'm planning a fall trip and booked at POR, but am now thinking hard about WL. We live in Southern California and have stayed at the Grand Californian many times. I'm a little worried that WL won't be "different" enough from what we have here in California and in our Western parks. Are you a Californian who still really enjoyed WL?
Thanks for any input!!

Edit to add that I'd welcome input from any and all Westerners out there! Thanks!

Just got back on Tuesday from a wonderful 8 night stay at WL. It was perfect and we did not encounter any problems at all. We stay every year at the cabins at FW, but wanted to try the lodge and I am so glad we did. DH and the kids say we are only staying at the lodge now!!!! Housekeeping, Roaring Forks staff, and concierge were great as well!

GrandCalifornian, I'm planning a fall trip and booked at POR, but am now thinking hard about WL. We live in Southern California and have stayed at the Grand Californian many times. I'm a little worried that WL won't be "different" enough from what we have here in California and in our Western parks. Are you a Californian who still really enjoyed WL?
Thanks for any input!!

Edit to add that I'd welcome input from any and all Westerners out there! Thanks!
We are from Southern California and were married at the Grand Californian. We really love both WL and the Grand Californian, and despite their architectural similarity really do find there to be noticeable differences between them. To us, the WL feels bigger, and the lobby is more impressive (which really is saying something). We also absolutely love that WL is located on Bay Lake, which is beautiful and ties in to the theme very well. It also allows for boat transportation to MK as well as CR and Fort Wilderness. After visiting many resorts at WDW, WL is our favorite because it does have a quiet rural feel yet is located close to MK for easy access. We also love that it is all under one roof, which comes in handy during Florida rainstorms. I wouldn't worry about it being too much like GC, since AKL also shares the same architect but has unique things about it that make it a nice resort too.

We stayed at POR as well and find it to be a very good value, and like that it also has a quiet rural feel to it despite being at WDW. We found its location to not be as convenient for going to MK, because you have to take a bus, which didn't take terribly long but it was longer than from WL. Also with the multiple buildings, you had to go out in the rain to get to the buses, and there are four bus stops at the resort so that added a little time to each round trip to / from a park. We did love the boat transportation to Disney Springs from POR, which is nicer and faster than taking a bus to Disney Springs from WL.

We wouldn't hesitate to stay at either resort again, and feel that they are priced very well to make them similar values. With WL you pay a little more, but get a little more. By going with a Standard View room at WL we minimized the extra cost and still get to stay at the nicer resort with slightly bigger rooms and the great location near MK. You really can't go wrong though. Feel free to ask if there are any specifics I can help with.

No one knows just how long the outdoor movies, s'mores campfire activities, and the marina/bike rental will be down. Certainly, they won't return until almost all (if not all) construction is done, and that could last into 2018. In fact, there's no guarantee that the outdoor movies and campfire will return at all given that the beach where those activities took place is now occupied by a large building housing the new restaurant. I believe you're able to have an extra in a room if the child is under 3, but I'm sure someone who has kids that age will know for sure.

Can you access the campfire at other resort if not on a WL. My kids loved it at AKL

I understand no one knows for sure, but we are there April 7 - 12. Do you think Roaring Fork will still be closed? What else?

Wondering if I should just pay the extra $500 for the Poly. We love WL, it was our DS9 first trip to Disney when he was 18 months and we've not stayed there since. DD is 13 and while this won't be our LAST trip to the world, I feel like I'm living on borrowed time of her still being "young"

We are from Southern California and were married at the Grand Californian. We really love both WL and the Grand Californian, and despite their architectural similarity really do find there to be noticeable differences between them. To us, the WL feels bigger, and the lobby is more impressive (which really is saying something). We also absolutely love that WL is located on Bay Lake, which is beautiful and ties in to the theme very well. It also allows for boat transportation to MK as well as CR and Fort Wilderness. After visiting many resorts at WDW, WL is our favorite because it does have a quiet rural feel yet is located close to MK for easy access. We also love that it is all under one roof, which comes in handy during Florida rainstorms. I wouldn't worry about it being too much like GC, since AKL also shares the same architect but has unique things about it that make it a nice resort too.

We stayed at POR as well and find it to be a very good value, and like that it also has a quiet rural feel to it despite being at WDW. We found its location to not be as convenient for going to MK, because you have to take a bus, which didn't take terribly long but it was longer than from WL. Also with the multiple buildings, you had to go out in the rain to get to the buses, and there are four bus stops at the resort so that added a little time to each round trip to / from a park. We did love the boat transportation to Disney Springs from POR, which is nicer and faster than taking a bus to Disney Springs from WL.

We wouldn't hesitate to stay at either resort again, and feel that they are priced very well to make them similar values. With WL you pay a little more, but get a little more. By going with a Standard View room at WL we minimized the extra cost and still get to stay at the nicer resort with slightly bigger rooms and the great location near MK. You really can't go wrong though. Feel free to ask if there are any specifics I can help with.

What a great overview! Thank you for taking the time to be so thorough!

:thanks::yay::flower1::dogdance:

I understand no one knows for sure, but we are there April 7 - 12. Do you think Roaring Fork will still be closed? What else?

Wondering if I should just pay the extra $500 for the Poly. We love WL, it was our DS9 first trip to Disney when he was 18 months and we've not stayed there since. DD is 13 and while this won't be our LAST trip to the world, I feel like I'm living on borrowed time of her still being "young"
I'd keep WL. Then again, I am biased. If you know it will be special at WL and want to ensure that you have at least one more cool adventure with your daughter, don't switch. I suspect RF will be up and going again by then.

Here's what I hope is a somewhat applicable anecdote. A couple of years ago, we opted to surprise my daughter on her 14th birthday by secretly booking BLT vice VWL. She enjoyed having her own bathroom, and we had a wonderful time at the resort (she met a boy!), as well as in the parks. Later when we got home, we were reminiscing about how good a trip it had been, and I asked how surprised she was by driving past WL on the way to CR. She replied, "Yeah, that was cool. But, I'd still rather stay at WL." ;)

Hi Everyone, We just got a reservation for myself, husband, and our two nephews to the Wilderness Lodge for June. I just wanted to know how construction was going. Will it be finished or near finished by June? Just wondering.
Again, no one knows with any complete certainty how much construction will be done by June. The pool is supposed to open by the summer, but that leaves a lot of room for interpretation not to mention discounting any delays or snags the construction effort might hit. The newly refurbished rooms in the main Lodge--the villas in Copper Creek Villas and Cabins--aren't nearly as far along as the cabins, and I'd be shocked if they were ready for occupancy before the end of 2017. The new eatery is due to open in the next week or so, but that means Roaring Fork and Trout Pass will be down for a period of time--again unknown how long that will be. In sum, I'd expect there to still be a fair amount of construction going on come June including parts of the pool, perhaps.

Thanks for any input!!

Technically, I'm an Easterner as I live in Virginia; however, I lived in CA, CO, and AK for a number of years. Further, we stayed in the GC a couple of years back, so I feel my comparisons will also be valid. What GrandCalifornian said is absolutely true: though designed by the same architect, each resort has a different feel. To us, WL is more open, spacious, and grandiose than the GC. The moment you walk into the lobby is awe-inspiring--it's massive. When we walked into the GC, we felt at home, too, but it was more of a classical rendering of a modern western-themed lobby--inviting but quieter and a bit more refined if that makes sense. Even the music at the GC had more of a classical playlist feel, while the WL music is more majestic with strains of "Silverado," "The Magnificent Seven," Aaron Copland, and others playing. When Whispering Canyon has guests, you often get a rowdy vibe the since the restaurant is open to the lobby--not overly noisy but you know it's there. Further, there's a gurgling stream with a little footbridge in the lobby. Look up, and you can see the massive totems that anchor the whole scene. Want scenic? Simply look out the back lobby windows where you can see a well-manicured landscape backed by a huge pool and beyond that the lake. While with the GC, you can easily scoot into a park (the CA entrance or a short walk to the Land), you can explore WL. Heck, just walking down the timbered boardwalk to the boat ramps in the morning as you head out to catch a boat to MK (CR or FW, too) is invigorating. You will feel some familiarity between the two resorts, certainly, but they are notably unique. As a side note, my wife and I were married at the Wilderness Lodge a few years back on the fourth floor outside mezzanine that overlooks the pool, lake, and geyser. Yeah, we might like the Lodge a little. :thumbsup2

Thank you! I scrolled back a few pages again and I can't find anything re: the menu for Geyser point when RF is closed...Has anyone heard anything?

Also, a room question..the last time we stayed in the second floor (which is lobby level), facing the pool and directly out where we could catch a glimpse of the water parade. Suggestions for what to request? I know that side is closed but we would like the same closeness to the main lobby area with the same view. I am guessing being close to the QS is not an option anymore with it being out (it seems?) by the boat dock?

Someone did say North side but what else should I say? Close to lobby? I want to be facing the lake.

Thanks to each of you who have posted letters from the WL GM regarding your upcoming stays and also, thanks to all who have been posting photos. For some reason, they aren't loading properly today, but thank you!

If you're staying Club Level, all requests can be emailed or called in to the new Disney Signature Services. They have replaced the onsite Itinerary Planning Offices:

407-939-7777
disney.signature.services@disneyworld.com

Welcome to the thread, @Stephanie Ussery. I'll log your dates:)

Howdy and welcome! I'll get your dates logged.

Welcome back and I'll add your dates to the log.

I think the TRANSPORTATION chapter of the thread might help you. But, for Early Morning Magic, I would take the MK bus. There is one for early ADRs that leaves around 0630-0700, but ask the night before or at check-in for a more precise time.

Welcome home, Doug! I'd be happy to add your dates:)

Welcome back, @AngiTN:)

Welcome and congratulations on booking:)

Thanks for posting about your stay and YAY for the BB!

Welcome to the thread and I'll get your dates logged:)

Thank you for reporting about FF and I hope you have a wonderful stay:)

Someone did say North side but what else should I say? Close to lobby? I want to be facing the lake.
With only the north wing open your best chance to have a room facing Bay Lake and the water parade would be to book a courtyard view room and request a room close to the lake. The standard view rooms face toward the Contemporary and MK and you can't see the parade from those rooms.

So when exactly is Roaring Fork closing up shop?
According to Disney Dining it will close on Feb 13 until March 31. The lady on the phone told me that it should be open again on Apr 1. But I am not really sure how accurate that is. When you check the opening times on the website you see "no times available" starting on Feb 13. With the new covered seating being built right now it would not make sense to have it closed so long. So I am inclined to believe Disney Dining. Otherwise they could have started the constrution outside of RF together with the refurb. But this is just wild guessing :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter