• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I thought those buses stopped at 3 resorts or more. We have stayed at AKL for the last 3 visits (which we love) but decided to try a different resort this time. We just don't want to be sitting on the bus with multiple stops.

Noooooo! Disney might get an email if that doesn't change. I eat Mickey waffles with strawberries and whipped cream like everyday when we don't have a breakfast ADR.
I agree. We've been looking forward to our visit to RF next week. . .until this news. Not pleased.

Thanks. I thought those buses stopped at 3 resorts or more. We have stayed at AKL for the last 3 visits (which we love) but decided to try a different resort this time. We just don't want to be sitting on the bus with multiple stops.

We switched from AKL to Wilderness Lodge because of the proximity to MK. During our Christmas stay last year the bus went direct to every park. The ride home sometimes continued to Fort Wilderness. We are returning to WL for NYE 2018.

With a soft opening yesterday, keep in mind that the menu and offerings may change. The place looks great, especially the outside area.
Yes, you are correct that the menu might change, and I'm hoping that's the case. Alternately, however, there is no evidence it will change. In fact, it appears as though they purposefully chose to forego the extra steps (and staffing) needed to have a made-to-order section for salads, sandwiches, and waffles. It doesn't make a lot of sense to be closed so long then re-open and not be fully operational. Again, I do agree that perhaps the menus will improve, and I am fervent in my hope that they will. Still, this smacks of a decision made by suits who saw a way to reduce costs which is, after all, the Disney way. ;)

Yes, you are correct that the menu might change, and I'm hoping that's the case. Alternately, however, there is no evidence it will change. In fact, it appears as though they purposefully chose to forego the extra steps (and staffing) needed to have a made-to-order section for salads, sandwiches, and waffles. It doesn't make a lot of sense to be closed so long then re-open and not be fully operational. Again, I do agree that perhaps the menus will improve, and I am fervent in my hope that they will. Still, this smacks of a decision made by suits who saw a way to reduce costs which is, after all, the Disney way. ;)
I kind of don't mind having some sandwiches made ahead, grab and go, as long as they separately package the tomato, lettuce, etc that can make them soggy. I do like having a sandwich packed up and easy to purchase rather than waiting on someone who might take longer to decide or have a complex order. That being said, I agree they should also offer them made to order for freshness, especially salads.

I fear the toppings will be going away overall to reduce complexity for the staff, time spent waiting for the customer, and cost for disney. I'm sure people complain all the time about the waits to get their food but don't consider that made to order requires the time spent trade-off. It's maddening for sure.

We are pretty disappointed in the menu ... we love the wilderness Lodge and I mentioned earlier we were only considering switching because right now we have a rack rate but with the new menu we are going to have to switch ( I have food allergies )...it seems like most everyone on Facebook is pretty disappointed.

We are pretty disappointed in the menu ... we love the wilderness Lodge and I mentioned earlier we were only considering switching because right now we have a rack rate but with the new menu we are going to have to switch ( I have food allergies )...it seems like most everyone on Facebook is pretty disappointed.

Agreed, we are not trilled about the menu changes :(

It looks like they took the giant chili cheese dog off the menu? That's too bad. It was great!

At least it all looks interesting and on theme!

I'm disappointed in the new Roaring Forks menu, too. I loved the Wilderness salad and it seems to be a thing of the past. There are too many flatbreads and that just doesn't work when you need gluten free foods. :(

The new Roaring Forks looks somewhat similar to what they did at the Yacht Club. They added a new counter service option and most of the food is grab and go. They do have a counter to order freshly cooked food but the selection is very limited.

Does anyone know if Geyser Point is still serving breakfast now that Roaring Forks is open again?

Last edited:
I'm disappointed in the new Roaring Forks menu, too. I loved the Wilderness salad and it seems to be a thing of the past. There are too many flatbreads and that just doesn't work when you need gluten free foods. :(

The new Roaring Forks looks somewhat similar to what they did at the Yacht Club. They added a new counter service option and most of the food is grab and go. They do have a counter to order freshly cooked food but the selection is very limited.

Does anyone know if Geyser Point is still serving breakfast now that Roaring Forks is open again?
That's so sad! I only went to RF once, but it looked great before my WL stay. Then I got the dreaded email it was being refurbished and thought Geyser Point was limited and when RF came back, it would have all its original options. Guess that's not what happened. More turbo chef flat-breads it is

I agree. We've been looking forward to our visit to RF next week. . .until this news. Not pleased.

Hi hope you have a fantastic trip! Hopefully they will still provide just the side of Mickey Waffles at RF. If you get a chance, please let us know if they do. :-) Hope so!

We are also quite disappointed with the new RF menu. Much of it does not appeal to us (similar to how we feel about the Geyser Point menu) as we don't like the "fancy fru fru" foods but prefer more basic things. And having multiple food allergies complicates it further as there appear to be considerably fewer options. :-(

Fortunately, our stay at WL in December will be at CCV, so we may be putting that microwave to work more than we thought...

SW

We are also quite disappointed with the new RF menu. Much of it does not appeal to us (similar to how we feel about the Geyser Point menu) as we don't like the "fancy fru fru" foods but prefer more basic things. And having multiple food allergies complicates it further as there appear to be considerably fewer options. :-(

Fortunately, our stay at WL in December will be at CCV, so we may be putting that microwave to work more than we thought...

SW

If it doesn't bother your allergies, the brisket is really amazing. You can get it without the peppers and such. It's what I'd consider some elevated comfort food!

This will be our first stay at the WL so going from "RF may be closed" to "RF is open" makes us thrilled. Since we don't know what we are missing, we are happy with the menu choices. Sometimes ignorance is bliss, right?

Although I need to stop myself from google searching the strawberry waffles you all speak of, because yum!

Just booked WL for our next trip in Feb! Thanks for answering my questions! Based on the info here, I booked a standard view. My kids would like bunk beds, but not sure if there are that many and if I should request that? By any chance does anyone know which rooms are bunk beds???

Just booked WL for our next trip in Feb! Thanks for answering my questions! Based on the info here, I booked a standard view. My kids would like bunk beds, but not sure if there are that many and if I should request that? By any chance does anyone know which rooms are bunk beds???
Congratulations! Your kids should love WL! Bunk beds are not a bookable category for Standard View. You can always request them, and perhaps you will get them. If you want to guarantee them, booking Woods or Courtyard View with Bunk Beds is the only way to know you will get them. If Woods View wasn't an option available to you, then there are bunk bed rooms on the North side of the resort that you will likely be able to get with a Standard view reservation. If Woods has become available, then that would be a good idea since that is where most of the bunk bed rooms are located (in the East and West ends of the North wing, not in the middle). Touringplans.com has a room location finder that has mixed accuracy, but it might give you some idea of potential bunk bed room locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter