Disney's Strange World debuts in theaters Thanksgiving

But, so what if they do? It doesn't change the original and it doesn't affect the story. "Appeasing the masses" is what every movie strives to do because they want the masses to go see it.
Right. Because the Ariel update wasn't made to appease/appeal to any particular demographic. No particular group will now be flocking to theaters to see this particular version, I suppose.

Right. Because the Ariel update wasn't made to appease/appeal to any particular demographic. No particular group will now be flocking to theaters to see this particular version, I suppose.

Well, yeah, it totally was - because particular groups have dollars to spend at the movies, or that it the hope. That's the business.

Over the 5-day holiday weekend, the movie brought in just $18.6 million. Disney originally projected the movie to earn $30 - $40 million dollars over the long weekend. The movie had a budget of approximately $120 - $130 million.

Monetarily, this is one of Disney's worst theatrical releases ever.

Over the 5-day holiday weekend, the movie brought in just $18.6 million. Disney originally projected the movie to earn $30 - $40 million dollars over the long weekend. The movie had a budget of approximately $120 - $130 million.

Monetarily, this is one of Disney's worst theatrical releases ever.

It's right in there with Treasure Planet, which did $12M over the Thanksgiving 5-day, 2002. Even Atlantis did $20.3M, and that was a 3-day June release (2001). This movie gave off similar vibes to both of those - I guess audiences still aren't receptive to animated adventure films! In 20 years, this one will be a cult favorite too.

This is flat out just a bad movie.

I guess audiences still aren't receptive to animated adventure films! In 20 years, this one will be a cult favorite too.

This film will never be a cult favorite. If it was with live actors, it would still be boring and dull. It will fade into dust just like Turning Red.

Give it time. It's a near guarantee that those idiots at Disney will certainly change up the looks of the dwarfs to appease the masses. 🙄
But, so what if they do? It doesn't change the original and it doesn't affect the story. "Appeasing the masses" is what every movie strives to do because they want the masses to go see it.

Um, hate to tell you, but if the dwarves change the entire story dies. In a Snow White where all the dwarves are diverse - some of them wouldn't actually be dwarves anymore, and the entire premise of the movie - being the 'Fairest of them all' would not be an issue because no one in that universe would care how pretty anyone else is.

People don't want woke movies. When everyone and everything is so woke, there is no such thing as a bad guy, or a problem, or a real conflict.

This is flat out just a bad movie.

This film will never be a cult favorite. If it was with live actors, it would still be boring and dull. It will fade into dust just like Turning Red.

Um, hate to tell you, but if the dwarves change the entire story dies. In a Snow White where all the dwarves are diverse - some of them wouldn't actually be dwarves anymore, and the entire premise of the movie - being the 'Fairest of them all' would not be an issue because no one in that universe would care how pretty anyone else is.

People don't want woke movies. When everyone and everything is so woke, there is no such thing as a bad guy, or a problem, or a real conflict.

Well, I enjoyed the movie, but it's the kind of thing that's right up my alley. I definitely understand it's niche appeal though - I always knew it would be.

Nobody's talking about not making them dwarfs, but if they hired a non-white actor to portray one, how does that change the story? Where's the harm in it? It's just not something that I see as a big deal.

Nobody's talking about not making them dwarfs, but if they hired a non-white actor to portray one, how does that change the story? Where's the harm in it? It's just not something that I see as a big deal.
I agree. There is no big deal in that. Just like in the Rings of Power - no big deal. The problem is, the current design team at Disney is incapable of just stopping there. They have to address every problem on the earth all at once.

I agree. There is no big deal in that. Just like in the Rings of Power - no big deal. The problem is, the current design team at Disney is incapable of just stopping there. They have to address every problem on the earth all at once.

Well, that's fair that they may try to take on too much and that can have a negative impact on the narrative. I don't feel that it did in Strange World though - none of it was made into a big deal story-wise and I think it plays out the same regardless.

But none of that "diversity" stuff has anything to do with the story. It's fair to not like the story (though I disagree that it hsas no conflict - it has plenty, it's just that the main one is resolved in a rusehd manner). They didn't spend any more tim eon Ethan being gay than they would have had he had a crush on a girl - they still would have shown that scene because it was important for Ethan's character and motivations later on.
Yes, it would have taken time if he had a crush on a girl and explaining that.
However, what if Searcher and his wife had a daughter? The trend nowadays for female characters is that they do not need a beau to feel complete. I'm convinced that if Ethan had been a girl, she would have stayed single.
That Ethan is gay is not something that adds to the story, or him being in a relationship/flirt adds to the story. There is not enough danger that Ethan needs someone worth fighting for or to return home to. If you take out the gay angle, nothing in the story changes.

I think they made Ethan gay for 2 reasons, 1. to tick a box on the inclusivity list, and 2. to work up to have a gay lead one day. Disney and/or the US audience is not ready for this yet (or Disney thinks they are not ready yet).

With some more thinking, I do not mind that they tick boxes. I get suspicious when they want to tick all the boxes at once. Disney doesn't release that many animated movies a year. Maybe with ticking all the boxes at once, they feel like they have a clean slate they can work from in the future?

Yes, it would have taken time if he had a crush on a girl and explaining that.
However, what if Searcher and his wife had a daughter? The trend nowadays for female characters is that they do not need a beau to feel complete. I'm convinced that if Ethan had been a girl, she would have stayed single.
That Ethan is gay is not something that adds to the story, or him being in a relationship/flirt adds to the story. There is not enough danger that Ethan needs someone worth fighting for or to return home to. If you take out the gay angle, nothing in the story changes.

I think they made Ethan gay for 2 reasons, 1. to tick a box on the inclusivity list, and 2. to work up to have a gay lead one day. Disney and/or the US audience is not ready for this yet (or Disney thinks they are not ready yet).

With some more thinking, I do not mind that they tick boxes. I get suspicious when they want to tick all the boxes at once. Disney doesn't release that many animated movies a year. Maybe with ticking all the boxes at once, they feel like they have a clean slate they can work from in the future?

Ethan having a crush was used to show that his personality was unlike his dad's and to create a little conflict between them - typical teen stuff. The subject of the crush is not that important and would have been the same had it been a girl, or if Ethan had been a girl, etc. The story plays the same either way. There was certainly plenty of danger though, but him getting back to his friends was not the real motivation.

Look, I totally understand why some wouldn't find the story to be good (I did), but the reasons for that really have nothing to do with the diversity of the cast of characters at all. The movie just doesn't spend any time on it. It doesn't magically become a better movie without it - it would be the same and you wouldn't like. I would still like it. I think sometimes when a movie disappoints us, we pick at little details more. That's fine - I'm guilty of that too. Liek I will let a MCU movie get away with the same thing I will call a DC movie to task for, because generally I like the MCU stuff.

I am still not saying that diversity is part of why the movie isn't good. But the discussion about Disney ticking boxes and paying much more attention to diversity than they did ever before is more interesting than the story itself. The movie isn't good because it's a boring story to me. You cannot discuss something that bores you. You can discuss much better why a movie is bad why it is boring. Boring can be described in one sentence: It lacks conflict. That's the end of it.

Surely this movie can't possibly be worse than Turning Red?
Neither one is very good in my book. I think the issue with Red is that it is aimed more specifically at a group, early teenage girls. Strange World is more families in general.

We finally have a debut date for Strange World on Disney+ and it will debut December 23rd and when I saw the news I squealed with happiness. While I cannot wait to see Searcher Clade in Strange World I still am longing for a Searcher Clade plushie but it seems to be have never been made :sad:But at least i'll have my Splat plushie to watch Strange World with. Are you gonna be ready for next Friday?

Today Strange World makes it's Disney+ debut and I think now that it's on Disney+ I think the movie will get better promotion and hopefully we will see more merchandise being released for it soon. Are you planning to watch it today?

I saw Strange World a few minutes ago myself and I can say that Disney did an awesome job with Strange World and the style that they drew it with is unique and gives Strange World a look all it's own. I loved the intro song They're The Clades with a comic book styled intro and it makes Strange World feel like an animated adventure series which was really cool. On the characters and the celebrity voice talent of Strange World Jake Gyllenhaal really brought Searcher Clade to life so well and was the perfect choice to voice Searcher because Searcher has a lot of Jake's personality in him and every time Searcher Clade would come on I blushed and sighed because he really is cute. Gabrielle Union was well cast as Meridian Clade and she made Meridian so funny and when paired with Searcher they make a fun and wonderful couple. Dennis Quaid was fun as Jaeger Clade and I don't know how they chose him but Dennis Quaid is so fantastic in the role of Jaeger and brings the laughs to the table. But the real scene stealer of Strange World was Splat and he was so cute and really funny and Legend the dog is also really funny as well. All I can say is that Disney did a great job on Strange World and I think had Disney promoted it a lot more Strange World would've done well in theaters and now that it's on Disney+ I think Strange World will be promoted a lot now and more marketing and merchandise will follow. I would've finished watching Strange World but I had to see Supermarket Sweep but Strange World really is great

I would never watch anything that would give a penny to Jake Gyllenhaal.

Only yesterday I saw my first and only commercial for Strange World, ahead of a youtube video.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter