Disney's Riviera Resort Announcement

SpaceMountain77

Kidani Villager Victorian Gentleman Turtle Trekker
Has DVC ever opened reservations to cash paying guests before DVC members?

DISNEY'S RIVIERA
RESORT
UPDATE
Dear Disney Vacation Club® Member

Since Disney’s Riviera Resort was first announced in July 2017, our Members have continually asked to be kept informed about the newest Resort. With that in mind, we wanted you to be among the first to hear some exciting updates. Construction is progressing extremely well on our new proposed Disney Vacation Club Resort, and it’s currently on schedule to open in Fall 2019.

When it opens its doors, Disney’s Riviera Resort will offer all the grandeur of Europe combined with the magic of Disney. The new Resort will be conveniently located in the heart of Walt Disney World® Resort, and feature unique access to Epcot® and Disney’s Hollywood Studios®, via the new Disney Skyliner.

Important information for Disney Vacation Club Members:
  • This Spring, Members can begin booking stays at Disney’s Riviera Resort with Vacation Points, accessing exclusive, protected inventory which is being held just for our Members. Exact timing will be shared once the official opening date is confirmed.
In the interim, Disney’s Riviera Resort will begin taking rental reservations from the general public this month. To learn more about the new Resort, watch the Disney Parks Blog and follow Disney Vacation Club on Facebook and Instagram for updates.

We look forward to welcoming our newest Resort!

Disney Vacation Club

Has DVC ever opened reservations to cash paying guests before DVC members?

DISNEY'S RIVIERA
RESORT
UPDATE
Dear Disney Vacation Club® Member

Since Disney’s Riviera Resort was first announced in July 2017, our Members have continually asked to be kept informed about the newest Resort. With that in mind, we wanted you to be among the first to hear some exciting updates. Construction is progressing extremely well on our new proposed Disney Vacation Club Resort, and it’s currently on schedule to open in Fall 2019.

When it opens its doors, Disney’s Riviera Resort will offer all the grandeur of Europe combined with the magic of Disney. The new Resort will be conveniently located in the heart of Walt Disney World® Resort, and feature unique access to Epcot® and Disney’s Hollywood Studios®, via the new Disney Skyliner.

Important information for Disney Vacation Club Members:
  • This Spring, Members can begin booking stays at Disney’s Riviera Resort with Vacation Points, accessing exclusive, protected inventory which is being held just for our Members. Exact timing will be shared once the official opening date is confirmed.
In the interim, Disney’s Riviera Resort will begin taking rental reservations from the general public this month. To learn more about the new Resort, watch the Disney Parks Blog and follow Disney Vacation Club on Facebook and Instagram for updates.

We look forward to welcoming our newest Resort!

Disney Vacation Club
Opening up Cash reservations is very common. Only the rooms declared into DVC can be booked by DVC members. I take this message to mean that they are setting aside some of the undeclared units specifically for current DVC members while the declared inventory would be given a period of priority to those that purchase there. I think they basically are admitting they need current members to stay there to want to buy there.

Wonder if calling for cash info will st least tell us room types?

Opening up Cash reservations is very common. Only the rooms declared into DVC can be booked by DVC members. I take this message to mean that they are setting aside some of the undeclared units specifically for current DVC members while the declared inventory would be given a period of priority to those that purchase there. I think they basically are admitting they need current members to stay there to want to buy there.
Before a DVC member uses points to book at the Riviera, vacation homes will first have to be declared into the DVC inventory. Points cannot be used to book undeclared inventory.

Of course, that assumes that the Riviera functions like the other 14 DVC resorts. If the Riviera is in a "Collection" separate from the other 14 DVC resorts, then there may be a whole different set of booking rules.

If they are "taking reservations this month" does that mean it would be online - or would one only be able to book by phone. I would think if online we would have a little more information on room occupancy and type.

Before a DVC member uses points to book at the Riviera, vacation homes will first have to be declared into the DVC inventory. Points cannot be used to book undeclared inventory.

Of course, that assumes that the Riviera functions like the other 14 DVC resorts. If the Riviera is in a "Collection" separate from the other 14 DVC resorts, then there may be a whole different set of booking rules.
Actually Disney as the owner of the rooms can more than chose to allow DVC members to book undeclared rooms. This is quite common already and how people get Welcome Home Trips at new resorts. They book undeclared rooms for them. But I would bet the points it gets for those reservations it then owns and can use to book rooms at other resorts. Essentially similar to the collections setup you reference.

Also the current POSs (of course Riviera will be very different likely) does allow for this and there is a section that specifically says Disney can use the undeclared inventory in the condo. To trade declared and undeclared rooms or allow them to book it with DVC points.

It does specifically state it is protected inventory so I would still bet they are going to do this from undeclared rooms because they won't want to declare a bunch of inventory to do this promo period. That way they can stop it at some point and take them back for Cash.

I have been a member since 2012 and do not remember a central reservations period preceding the sale of new contracts. If I had intended to purchase points at DRR, then I would be disappointed with cash paying guests having the ability to book prior to a potential buyer.

I have been a member since 2012 and do not remember a central reservations period preceding the sale of new contracts. If I had intended to purchase points at DRR, then I would be disappointed with cash paying guests having the ability to book prior to a potential buyer.
It can happen and doesn't matter anyways because you are only entitled to what is declared into inventory as that is all the condo owns. Copper Creek for example has a couple rooms that Disney owns and no one can book them through DVC directly (without some "pixie dust" of course). Plus they seem to be getting around the Home Resort priority period by saying they are setting aside "protected" inventory anyways.

They know they need to convince people it is going to succeed to buy into it with the restrictions. Why they are doing it know a bit different (albeit the results are identical in the end cash and DVC rooms will be separate until declared) is that they know SWGE is going to be a stress on the resorts so they are opening up cash reservations a tiny bit earlier (not even sure they might have opened up other resorts have no proof to say they didn't).

It can happen and doesn't matter anyways because you are only entitled to what is declared into inventory as that is all the condo owns. Copper Creek for example has a couple rooms that Disney owns and no one can book them through DVC directly (without some "pixie dust" of course). Plus they seem to be getting around the Home Resort priority period by saying they are setting aside "protected" inventory anyways.

They know they need to convince people it is going to succeed to buy into it with the restrictions. Why they are doing it know a bit different (albeit the results are identical in the end cash and DVC rooms will be separate until declared) is that they know SWGE is going to be a stress on the resorts so they are opening up cash reservations a tiny bit earlier (not even sure they might have opened up other resorts have no proof to say they didn't).

In a recent interview, Bob Iger announced a June 2019 opening for Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland Park. No opening date was specified for the opening at the Walt Disney World resort. Anyone booking a reservation based on speculation may be disappointed when a date is announced that falls outside of his/her original reservation.

It is a matter of messaging. The e-mail prioritizes those wishing to book through central reservations rather than those seeking to purchase a contract.

In a recent interview, Bob Iger announced a June 2019 opening for Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland Park. No opening date was specified for the opening at the Walt Disney World resort. Anyone booking a reservation based on speculation may be disappointed when a date is announced that falls outside of his/her original reservation.

It is a matter of messaging. The e-mail prioritizes those wishing to book through central reservations rather than those seeking to purchase a contract.
I don't really think it prioritizes them. If you purchase direct only X units would be declared. Far less than what would be needed for all those that purchased direct to use in a 1 month or 2 month window which will be the want of those that purchase direct there. They would only be able to book a room guaranteed over the entire Use Year.

I think the end result is identical to every other DVC resort at opening they are just marketing it a bit different to appease an upset base.

Cash rooms were always more readily available at new resorts until 50% of the rooms were declared. Even at that point the more desired rooms are often declared later (such as Copper Creek were half of the Studios were just declared in December of 2018).

I expect inventory that will be declared is not being placed on the CRO system. And even if it is, DVC can see if too many cash rooms are being booked for the period of time they expect the resort to be available for members and call rooms back.

Has the points chart for Riviera been released? If not, looks like we'll see it soon if Members can book this Spring.

The usual procedure, applicable to all prior resorts , is that when a resort opens and members can begin reserving, every room that is finished and available at the resort can be occupied by members or renters. The limitation is that members cannot reserve any more reservation time in the resort than would be allowed by the total units/applicable-points already dedicated to the resort. In other words, if early on, 5% of the resort has been declared into DVC, owners can reserve up to 5% of the total reservation time and both owners and renters can potentially get any of the rooms that are open.

Thus, I am not sure what is being referred to as "protected inventory" being held just for members.

Last edited:
The usual procedure, applicable to all prior resorts , is that when a resort opens and members can begin reserving, every room that is finished and available at the resort can be occupied by members or renters. The limitation is that members cannot reserve any more reservation time in the resort than would be allowed by the total units/applicable points already dedicated to the resort. In other words, if early on, 5% of the resort has been declared into DVC, owners can reserve up to 5% of the total reservation time and both owners and renters can potentially get any of the rooms that are open.

Thus, I am not sure what is being referred to as "protected inventory" being held just for members.
I agree on the regular procedure however I was just pointing out the unusual part of protected inventory being used and allowing current members to book before direct purchasers of the resort.

I agree on the regular procedure however I was just pointing out the unusual part of protected inventory being used and allowing current members to book before direct purchasers of the resort.

And I am not disagreeing with that possibility, although it seems strange that DVD would allow an existing member, who is not a Riviera owner, to begin reserving before any owners (such as add-ons). In the past, DVD provided a starting time for making reservations by those who add on at the new resort that was shortly before other members could reserve. Also, it would seem having special undeclared inventory to do that would not really add anything special since when the Resort opens to members there will already be a unit or units declared into the resort and thus ample availability for those reserving early.

I guess it's only a way to avoid people freaking out seeing that cash reservations will open before point reservations. The "reserved inventory" is just the % they plan to declare initially.

Marketing speak to tell current owners not to worry when they hear cash bookings are starting before sales and point bookings. And that is odd - I don't recall it ever being done at one of the new DVC resorts.

We really are back to Jim Lewis days. :sad2:

I just realized that the announcement that it will begin taking cash rentals this month likely means the Declarations have been or are about to be filed. Possibly they were filed Jan 18 and we just cannot get them online yet (the Orange County assessor often takes four business days or more to get things online after they are filed). Thus, I expect soon we will learn how DVD intends to circumvent the provisions in all the prior resorts' POS's, which provide that all resale purchasers have the same rights to reserve any DVC Resort added to the system as purchasers from DVD.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter