Disney's Riviera Resort Announcement

I say next year resale contracts at the L14 are for home resort only also. Every year they will take a little bit more and more away.

I don’t want to be spiteful but I hope Rivera tanks. I also hope the new wilderness lodge, whatever it’s called, tanks.

They r like a spoiled child who doesn’t want to share thier toys. Eventually no one will want to play with them.

That chart is kinda funny to read. You get nothing but I can still trade the world collection. They kept that 1 thing?

I say next year resale contracts at the L14 are for home resort only also. Every year they will take a little bit more and more away.

I don’t want to be spiteful but I hope Rivera tanks. I also hope the new wilderness lodge, whatever it’s called, tanks.

They r like a spoiled child who doesn’t want to share thier toys. Eventually no one will want to play with them.

That chart is kinda funny to read. You get nothing but I can still trade the world collection. They kept that 1 thing?

I agree with the spoiled child metaphor. Especially with it being called a club. They are like the nasty kid on the playground who arbitrarily sometimes lets you play in their club and sometimes doesn't. Eventually no one cares about the kid or the club.

I wonder how the 2019 Members Meeting is going to go in December :teeth:

Doubt it will have any noteworthy impact. This isn’t the first time DVC has made changes which proved unpopular in some circles. In this particular situation, there are undoubtedly people who see this as a good thing because it means Riviera resale buyers will never be able to book rooms at BCV, BWV and others.

95% of owners have no idea this change occurred. Many who have are in favor of it. I’m not even sure if buyers will care, for the most part. For years, healthy resale values have brought comfort to buyers. But even reducing that factor, not sure it will discourage people from buying. To most, DVC is still just a $200-300 monthly payment which guarantees them an annual visit with long-term savings.

You can't get into the top of the world lounge with resale?
From this it appears that may be the case, but I am holding out that it may be a typo. The chart omits the Epcot Lounge all together.

That's part of "membership extras", so the 4/4/16 restriction (and 75 point minimum as of 2/25/18) applies to that.

This is incorrect; see my update below. :D

Last edited:

95% of owners have no idea this change occurred.

It's easy to assume in reading these forums that the entire DVC community and all Disney fans are actively aware of these things, but I think it's more like 99.5% have no idea. Probably 3/4 of the people I casually talk to aren't aware of resale at all, and of those who are, many think it's "black market" or something else illicit like that. Or they're fully aware but just feel like they'll miss out on something unknown, and pony up the extra cash just to be sure they're full members of the club. The only effect I can even imagine is reduced resale value for future resorts, but even then you never know. If you love Riviera, for instance, would you really spend potentially tens of thousands extra to be able to book elsewhere?

I can think of another side effect in that there will be more competition at the 11 month mark to get into your home resort as resale buyers, being locked in, book immediately just to ensure they can use their points. EDIT: There could also end up being more "dedicated reservation" rentals available as well due to this. (i.e.: https://www.dvcrequest.com/available-reservations.asp)

Last edited:
That's part of "membership extras", so the 4/4/16 restriction (and 75 point minimum as of 2/25/18) applies to that.
I was under the impression that TOTWL was paid for by BLT dues and as such could not be considered a “Membership Extra.” Maybe it is a typo? Maybe not.

I was under the impression that TOTWL was paid for by BLT dues and as such could not be considered a “Membership Extra.” Maybe it is a typo? Maybe not.
It is not paid by BLT it is “covered” by selling the food and drinks. It “rents” space from the association

You are correct, sorry. It's probably split off for Riviera and future resort owners, though, since they're not part of the BVTC exchange for "DVC 2.0" (or whatever we're calling it these days.)

The chart is incorrect with regards to TOTWL and has been like that for a while (I've seen it posted and argued over previously on FB groups). Some have said they have called MS on it and been told it's a misprint...though it's conveniently never been fixed.

The chart is incorrect with regards to TOTWL and has been like that for a while (I've seen it posted and argued over previously on FB groups). Some have said they have called MS on it and been told it's a misprint...though it's conveniently never been fixed.

It's probably referring to future Riviera resale buyers, which could be excluded if they're not part of the BVTC "fab 14"/"dvc 1.0"/whatever-we-call-it-nowadays exchange. It is misleading, though, for sure.

Doubt it will have any noteworthy impact. This isn’t the first time DVC has made changes which proved unpopular in some circles. In this particular situation, there are undoubtedly people who see this as a good thing because it means Riviera resale buyers will never be able to book rooms at BCV, BWV and others.

95% of owners have no idea this change occurred. Many who have are in favor of it. I’m not even sure if buyers will care, for the most part. For years, healthy resale values have brought comfort to buyers. But even reducing that factor, not sure it will discourage people from buying. To most, DVC is still just a $200-300 monthly payment which guarantees them an annual visit with long-term savings.

It was said more in jest, because of the reallocation of the 2020 point charts, resale changes, and direction with Disney's Riviera Resort. All of which are a little more exciting than refillable dispensers.

I don’t see the correlation between Riviera and Copper Creek. OG at VWL, never expected to have home resort at CC.

I do give an involuntary deep breath every time I go to book AKVJ and get 11 month error message (own @ Kidani). Hope they never ‘lock’ us out of that home field advantage

I can think of another side effect in that there will be more competition at the 11 month mark to get into your home resort as resale buyers, being locked in, book immediately just to ensure they can use their points. EDIT: There could also end up being more "dedicated reservation" rentals available as well due to this. (i.e.: https://www.dvcrequest.com/available-reservations.asp)

Perhaps, but you have to wonder the % of owners who do rent out their points.

Have wondered if overall number of resales that have hit the market tend to be the less popular resorts which were likely picked up at a heavy discount.

I don’t see the correlation between Riviera and Copper Creek. OG at VWL, never expected to have home resort at CC.

I do give an involuntary deep breath every time I go to book AKVJ and get 11 month error message (own @ Kidani). Hope they never ‘lock’ us out of that home field advantage

Both buildings are all part of a single association. They cannot do what you are fearing. That there's ever an issue is simply IT ineptitude and a lack of concern by DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter