Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Sorry to contradict but we were able to access the drawers with the bed down fairly easily. They're not huge but were ideal for undies and swimming costumes. Other than that there isn't a lot of storage and we were glad we took fabric hanging shelves and a fold up laundry basket.
Ok, you can access them...I can't get down that low due to disc disease, so I should have said its more difficult with bed open

I know this might be a little soon for even you to know, but will the new "No Fishing" ban affect any of the fishing opportunities at POR?

I'm guessing that as organised fishing activities are not meant to be affected (only unsupervised river bank activities) the Fishin' Hole on Ol' Man Island and the two-hour pontoon boat trips should be remaining open, but things are still changing as new decisions get made.

I'm even partly worrying that the musical alligators might go from Doubloon Lagoon area, or even Alligator Bayou could get renamed, they really are jittery at the moment about anything 'gator related. Time will tell, I hope not anyway.

Andre

I'm even partly worrying that the musical alligators might go from Doubloon Lagoon area, or even Alligator Bayou could get renamed, they really are jittery at the moment about anything 'gator related. Time will tell, I hope not anyway.

Andre
That would be a shame.

We will be checking in at POR soon and staying for two weeks. There will be 5 of us and we have a preferred room booked. We would really like to be as close as possible to the quiet pool in the "preferred" building area. When faxing in my request...should I just request building 18 saying we want to be as close as possible to the quiet pool or should we request specific rooms...I don't want fax of requests to become too long. Last year we were in building 17 (practically overlooking the quiet pool) and it was perfect!! Also, our vacation actually starts a week before we get to Disney and we won't have access to a computer (and I don't want to be looking for places to send a fax). Will it be terrible if I send our fax on the the Saturday before a Friday check-in? I know these are all just requests and ultimately we'll be happy anywhere but want to at least attempt to get a closer room to where we would like to be...especially since we will be "moving in" for two weeks! ;)

Never request a specific room. What if they can't give you that room? They wouldn't have a clue what it is you want if that room isn't available. Use the fax offered from Touring Plans as a guide. They use the specific room as a sample that includes a group of rooms that match that room's parameters. If you like a specific building, or set of buildings, ask for them. Give them as wide a range of possible rooms you can. To increase your odds of getting one that fits the wishes. If you keep it too limited you run a risk of a random assignment. Make sense?

We will be checking in at POR soon and staying for two weeks. There will be 5 of us and we have a preferred room booked. We would really like to be as close as possible to the quiet pool in the "preferred" building area. When faxing in my request...should I just request building 18 saying we want to be as close as possible to the quiet pool or should we request specific rooms...I don't want fax of requests to become too long. Last year we were in building 17 (practically overlooking the quiet pool) and it was perfect!! Also, our vacation actually starts a week before we get to Disney and we won't have access to a computer (and I don't want to be looking for places to send a fax). Will it be terrible if I send our fax on the the Saturday before a Friday check-in? I know these are all just requests and ultimately we'll be happy anywhere but want to at least attempt to get a closer room to where we would like to be...especially since we will be "moving in" for two weeks! ;)
I would ask to be close to the quiet pool rather then suggest a building. It gives them a better idea of what you are looking for. :)

We had a room by the quiet pool when we were there in August and loved the location. :)

We would really like to be as close as possible to the quiet pool in the "preferred" building area. Will it be terrible if I send our fax on the the Saturday before a Friday check-in?

Just ask for a room "as close as possible to the quiet pool, for example in building 18" which gives them the option to find you what you want rather than just any room in building 18 (there might be a more suitable room available in 15 for example).

And I believe that the fax-eating dragon that incinerates any guest correspondence that doesn't arrive exactly five days in advance has been given the month off, so I think you'll probably get away with sending your fax a day or two early. :)

Andre

What kid of rooms are exactly in the acadian and magnolia building? I see where there is preferred which is in the bayou and the royal rooms are in the other mansion buildings....guess I am a little confused by what is being offered and what you can figure out from the maps.

Just had to cancel my 2016 trip (starting Nov. 29th) and it was very simple to change it to a 2017 trip. And I confirmed that POR did have my original room preference and would carry it over to 2017. I always like calling and talking to a CM!!

margot31, believe you can see photos of all possibilites in Andre's gallery for POR

http://www.portorleans.org/rooms.php

I have been looking at that site and can't seem to get a straight answer as to what the other two mansions are concerned when it comes to booking. Two of the mansion buildings are royal rooms right? I got the impression of that website that all the king sized beds are in the other two mansion buildings. Is that right?

I have been looking at that site and can't seem to get a straight answer as to what the other two mansions are concerned when it comes to booking. Two of the mansion buildings are royal rooms right? I got the impression of that website that all the king sized beds are in the other two mansion buildings. Is that right?

Oak (90) and Parterre (95) have the following rooms types:

Royal Standard View
Royal Garden View
Royal Swimming Pool View
Royal River View

All of the above Royal Rooms have 2 queens, no kings

Acadian (80) and Magnolia (85) have the following room types:

Standard View
Garden View
King Bed
Swimming Pool View
River View

All of the above rooms except the King Bed rooms have 2 queens.

If you check out the map on the below page and click on any building, you will be able to see where each type of room is located. It's an awesome, extremely detailed map.

http://www.portorleans.org/riverside-info.php

Oak (90) and Parterre (95) have the following rooms types:

Royal Standard View
Royal Garden View
Royal Swimming Pool View
Royal River View

All of the above Royal Rooms have 2 queens, no kings

Acadian (80) and Magnolia (85) have the following room types:

Standard View
Garden View
King Bed
Swimming Pool View
River View

All of the above rooms except the King Bed rooms have 2 queens.

If you check out the map on the below page and click on any building, you will be able to see where each type of room is located. It's an awesome, extremely detailed map.

http://www.portorleans.org/riverside-info.php

OOHHHH OK. Thanks. I didn't know you had to click. I guess those are rooms you can request? Normally I am fine being thrown anywhere on the resorts but this trip looking for certain area's due to one person in our party and their walking capabilities.

OOHHHH OK. Thanks. I didn't know you had to click. I guess those are rooms you can request? Normally I am fine being thrown anywhere on the resorts but this trip looking for certain area's due to one person in our party and their walking capabilities.
Yes, those are all bookable room types / categories.

(Except king bed)

Yes, those are all bookable room types / categories.

(Except king bed)

Actually at the Moderates a King Bed room IS a bookable category. And only at the Moderates. All other levels a King Bed room is by request only.

I'm guessing that as organised fishing activities are not meant to be affected (only unsupervised river bank activities) the Fishin' Hole on Ol' Man Island and the two-hour pontoon boat trips should be remaining open, but things are still changing as new decisions get made.

Andre

I thought the same thing. I am wondering if it will just be the "Bayou" section.

Never request a specific room. What if they can't give you that room? They wouldn't have a clue what it is you want if that room isn't available. Use the fax offered from Touring Plans as a guide. They use the specific room as a sample that includes a group of rooms that match that room's parameters. If you like a specific building, or set of buildings, ask for them. Give them as wide a range of possible rooms you can. To increase your odds of getting one that fits the wishes. If you keep it too limited you run a risk of a random assignment. Make sense?

100% agree with this. I always ask for what I need rather than rooms or buildings.

If they are really limited in walking, the only way to ensure a close location is to book preferred. Everything else is just a request and there are no guarantees.

Actually at the Moderates a King Bed room IS a bookable category. And only at the Moderates. All other levels a King Bed room is by request only.
Thanks - guess I never realized or noticed this since we've never wanted one!

What kid of rooms are exactly in the acadian and magnolia building? I see where there is preferred which is in the bayou and the royal rooms are in the other mansion buildings....guess I am a little confused by what is being offered and what you can figure out from the maps.

The internal decor in all of the rooms in Acadian House and Magnolia Terrace is identical (neither of those buildings contains any Royal Rooms). The only real difference is that if you happen to be placed in an outside-corner room, it will have two windows rather than the usual single window. If you book a King Bed room you will get an extra beside table, but otherwise they are identical in layout to the regular rooms.

Views wise, you have the exact same options as elsewhere in the resort (Standard, Garden, Pool and River). Obviously you won't get a Preferred Location room as those are only in buildings 14, 15, 18 and 27 of the Alligator Bayou section, but some of the rooms in Magnolia Terrace near to the footbridge leading across Ol' Man Island are actually closer than some of the preferred rooms anyway. For more info, see http://www.portorleans.org/magnolia-bend.php .

Andre

Thanks. I don't need a king. When I was looking at the map and the booking categories I was confused cause I would have thought the mansions were preferred. I wasn't clicking in the actual buildings to see its the same as the alligator bayou.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter