Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same as above. We've had the POly booked for 10 months and now are re-booked for the same amount in an outer building room and GF. Pretty disappointed that I won't get to stay at POly, but hoping we enjoy the GF.

I could use some help but can't find the answer anywhere. We are booked at DVC Polynesian Villas so our reservation is still safe. The closer we get to our vacation in November, the more gets taken away from it though. Now, as of October the monorail will not be running to and from Poly.
My question now is how will we get around and is there a way to still hop on the monorail near the Poly. This is our first time staying there. I haven't even eaten there. Can you believe that?

I could use some help but can't find the answer anywhere. We are booked at DVC Polynesian Villas so our reservation is still safe. The closer we get to our vacation in November, the more gets taken away from it though. Now, as of October the monorail will not be running to and from Poly.
My question now is how will we get around and is there a way to still hop on the monorail near the Poly. This is our first time staying there. I haven't even eaten there. Can you believe that?
There's another monorail station under a 5 minute walk from the Poly called The Transportation Center (TTC).

I have a reservation at the Villas too, but not until January. Actually, I had a reservation for a regular hotel room, but switched myself to a Villa Studio when the extended closure was announced.

I’m not too worried about the monorail situation. From the Villas side of the Poly, there is a short walking path to the TTC, where you can board both the resort and the express monorail line. Bonus - you also can board the Ferry there and have open-air direct transport to the MK. :) The walk to the TTC from the Villas is about the same as to the GCH, give or take depending on where your room is. I also suspect (not yet announced ) that the boat launch to the GF and MK will start back up when the monorail station closes. Not just because the Poly will need it, but because the GF will be back open and those guests will use it too.

It will be interesting to see what other work will be done to the GCH besides renovating the monorail platform. Quite a bit has already been redone in recent years, so I can’t imagine the whole thing being shut down. The Poly has extra restaurant space available in the old Tangaroa Terrace building next to the Villas, so some of the food services can be relocated if Captain Cooks or Kona Cafe is affected. Keep in mind also that the Grand Floridian is walking distance (beautiful path along the water), and it has a quick service (Gasparilla’s) and table service (GF Cafe) open to help with the dining options.

It’s definitely disappointing that the whole resort won’t be open as advertised earlier this year. I will particularly miss Trader Sam’s and the Tiki Terrace. I considered switching, but I’m not interested in the Contemporary, stayed at GF twice last year, and am just ready for the Poly. A great consolation is that the pools and beach are all open, and with the resort at half capacity, they will not be nearly as busy. :thumbsup2

I have a reservation at the Villas too, but not until January. Actually, I had a reservation for a regular hotel room, but switched myself to a Villa Studio when the extended closure was announced.

I’m not too worried about the monorail situation. From the Villas side of the Poly, there is a short walking path to the TTC, where you can board both the resort and the express monorail line. Bonus - you also can board the Ferry there and have open-air direct transport to the MK. :) The walk to the TTC from the Villas is about the same as to the GCH, give or take depending on where your room is. I also suspect (not yet announced ) that the boat launch to the GF and MK will start back up when the monorail station closes. Not just because the Poly will need it, but because the GF will be back open and those guests will use it too.

It will be interesting to see what other work will be done to the GCH besides renovating the monorail platform. Quite a bit has already been redone in recent years, so I can’t imagine the whole thing being shut down. The Poly has extra restaurant space available in the old Tangaroa Terrace building next to the Villas, so some of the food services can be relocated if Captain Cooks or Kona Cafe is affected. Keep in mind also that the Grand Floridian is walking distance (beautiful path along the water), and it has a quick service (Gasparilla’s) and table service (GF Cafe) open to help with the dining options.

It’s definitely disappointing that the whole resort won’t be open as advertised earlier this year. I will particularly miss Trader Sam’s and the Tiki Terrace. I considered switching, but I’m not interested in the Contemporary, stayed at GF twice last year, and am just ready for the Poly. A great consolation is that the pools and beach are all open, and with the resort at half capacity, they will not be nearly as busy. :thumbsup2

Thank You so much for all the info. I know all about Disney World but, this is the first time I get to stay at Poly. It has been something I have wanted to do for a very long time. It has been booked forever and the closer it gets the more things are stripped. I am still happy about it and looking on the bright side. Like, the fact that only Villas will be booked so it will be even quieter. I already requested a room close to TTC. I just didn't know that was a different option for the monorail. I thought that was THE place you get the monorail from Poly. Thanks for clearing that up.

I did ask what restaurants will be open and the Cast member said that the same ones will be open as are now.
Looking forward to a peaceful day at the pool too. With things the way they are I think this will be the most laid back trip we have had. I don't feel that pressure to get everything booked and be up for rope drop at 6 a.m.

I am still super excited. We both work very long hours and haven't had a vacation since our last trip to Disney World last November.

Thank you Ray! Could you tell me where the DVC studio villas are? I have my first trip to my "home" resort coming up this Feb. :yay:

DVC studios are in the three buildings closest to the TTC. Tokelau, Moorea, and Pago Pago. Buildings J, L and M in the above map. More that on the map the building names are different - they were changed when DVC took over.

Steve

If people later than you are being moved, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet you'd be moved. And the longer you wait, the more limited your choices are. There may not be a CR/whatever split stay available. And then it's take what's there or cancel all together.

NOW. There is the DVC side that will be open - just no monorail stop at the least. We don't know what it will mean for dining, etc. My TA suggested (even prior to the monorail announcement) moving from the DVC side for me because she knows how much I have dreamed of staying there and wants it as perfect as possible. Not disrupted by stuff like this. If you're ok with disruption and can do a DVC studio or two, see about changing to that.
We have had many family meetings about this situation. So far, only one person has posted about being moved during the summer of 2021. It may not even be related to the Poly renovations. I haven't gotten any notification from my travel agent or Disney. So, we may be fine and may get to enjoy a renovated Polynesian Village Resort in July 2021.

Should there be a problem, and Disney wants to move us, we have decided to cancel. We don't want to stay anywhere else on property except for the Polynesian. Instead, we will either go to Aulani for the first time...Hawaii is on my bucket list...or we will go back to Disneyland in California, which we absolutely LOVED. We had a blast at Trader Sam's, loved Tangaroa Terrace, Goofy's Kitchen, and Steakhouse 55. At both of these locations, we get our Disney fix and a Polynesian vibe. At the Disneyland Hotel, it was like a combo of the Contemporary and the Polynesian. I, personally, prefer the smaller size of Disneyland.

So, for now we wait. If there's no issue, and we get a vaccine in time, we will be at the new and improved Polynesian.

I feel so much better now.

Thank you Ray! Could you tell me where the DVC studio villas are? I have my first trip to my "home" resort coming up this Feb. :yay:

DVC studios are in the three buildings closest to the TTC. Tokelau, Moorea, and Pago Pago. Buildings J, L and M in the above map. More that on the map the building names are different - they were changed when DVC took over.
Steve

Room View Categories
  • Pago Pago Longhouse
    • Standard View rooms with views of parking lot and courtyard
  • Moorea Longhouse
    • Lake View rooms with views of Seven Seas Lagoon and Magic Kingdom Theme Park
    • Standard View rooms with views of courtyard
  • Tokelau Longhouse
    • Standard View rooms with views of pool, courtyard, and partial lagoon views
  • Bungalows
    • Over the water bungalows with unobstructed views of Seven Seas Lagoon and Magic Kingdom Theme Park

Our TA just emailed, and we were moved to the Grand for our October trip. I've never been too interested in that resort, so I guess I have some reading to do! I picked GF over Contemporary hoping we could still walk to the Poly for Captain Cooks and a dole whip 🤞

I'm sorry you've been moved, but the GF really is a beautiful resort. The Poly is my favorite overall, but I also love the GF. It's not the Poly, but it is a great resort. Hope you have a great trip :wizard:.

Just booked a last minute trip to Poly next week! We've never stayed at a Disney hotel before and are confused about the monorail. If we get on the monorail at Poly, can we ride it straight to MK? Or do we have to get off at the TTC and board a 2nd monorail to MK? Thanks!

GADisneyDad answered your questions about the monorail, but I wanted to say I hope you have a great time. The Poly is a beautiful resort and is a great choice for a first Disney trip :goodvibes.

Same as above. We've had the POly booked for 10 months and now are re-booked for the same amount in an outer building room and GF. Pretty disappointed that I won't get to stay at POly, but hoping we enjoy the GF.

I know it's disappointing to be moved from a resort you had your heart set on, but the GF is a wonderful place to stay! It's not the Poly, but it is a nice resort with a relaxing atmosphere and beautiful surroundings. Hope you have a great time :),

Thank You so much for all the info. I know all about Disney World but, this is the first time I get to stay at Poly. It has been something I have wanted to do for a very long time. It has been booked forever and the closer it gets the more things are stripped. I am still happy about it and looking on the bright side. Like, the fact that only Villas will be booked so it will be even quieter. I already requested a room close to TTC. I just didn't know that was a different option for the monorail. I thought that was THE place you get the monorail from Poly. Thanks for clearing that up.

I did ask what restaurants will be open and the Cast member said that the same ones will be open as are now.
Looking forward to a peaceful day at the pool too. With things the way they are I think this will be the most laid back trip we have had. I don't feel that pressure to get everything booked and be up for rope drop at 6 a.m.

I am still super excited. We both work very long hours and haven't had a vacation since our last trip to Disney World last November.

Hope you have a nice relaxing trip :cloud9:.

So Trader Sam's is closed too? Kona is my FAVORITE breakfast spot but O'hana was my dad's favorite. We always go in memory of him. I hope when it reopens at least they style of food service is the same!

Do we know when next summer the Poly is supposed to reopen? Is it by summer or just during summer? I really wanted to stay at the Poly as part of a split stay for our August, 2021 trip. My other resort choice is the WL which is also closed. We are currently booked at the BC, which is now closed indefinitely, so who knows where we’ll end up. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Do we know when next summer the Poly is supposed to reopen? Is it by summer or just during summer? I really wanted to stay at the Poly as part of a split stay for our August, 2021 trip. My other resort choice is the WL which is also closed. We are currently booked at the BC, which is now closed indefinitely, so who knows where we’ll end up. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Here is link to article regarding closing.

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...ian-village-resort-delayed-until-summer-2021/

Would it make sense to walk to TTC from the villas for bus service to the other parks, DS, etc.? Or use the Poly bus stop? I can't recall if TTC has busses picking up early in the morning, how far away it is, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter