Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Transportation

• Bus transportation is available from this Disney Resort hotel to EPCOT, Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park, Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and the Disney Springs area; bus transportation will be available to Magic Kingdom park beginning in early October 2020
  • Water taxis are not available from this Disney Resort hotel to Magic Kingdom park
  • Monorail transportation is available between the Great Ceremonial House and Magic Kingdom park until early October 2020—see details below; the walkway to the Transportation and Ticket Center will remain open, where Guests may access the monorail and ferry boats to Magic Kingdom park
  • Monorail transportation is not available for EPCOT
Resort Refurbishment
Due to upcoming refurbishment work at the Great Ceremonial House, monorail service to Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort will be temporarily suspended beginning in early October 2020.

We talked it over when I got home and gf talked me off the cliff like she normally does.:rotfl2:Part of why i was so upset is because gf loves the Poly more than any place in the world and was so looking forward to it, and I was heartbroken to have to disappoint her again after everything. But she reassured me that she would be happy staying anywhere with me. We’re thinking about changing up the split to a week of regular GF (much more doable) with a week at YC as the other side of the split. The closest she’s ever stayed to the Epcot resorts is a family trip to CBR back when it was brand new, and she loves the idea of the theme (she loves nautical anything). As long as she’s happy it will help my disappointment. Staying cash at DVC is also an idea, but that really depends on how disruptive the GCH construction is. I’d rather wait and see our Poly at her best.

And gosh I’ll be so glad just to have any Disney at all after all this that I bet it won’t even matter. I’ll just spend my birthday in Galaxy’s Edge.
It’s so the disappointment of others for me too. But I’m solo and my fam are troopers. My Mom told me she never thought she’d get to stay GF and is quite excited- so yay!

EP resorts are such a treat!! There’s nothing quite like being able to kick it in World Showcase and just waltz back to your room- betcha she wants to go back 😉 You could be creating a monster here... I see BC or YC split with Poly stays in your distant future! (BC/Poly is my jam! When I have the funds 😂)

Fwiw- Stormalong Bay gets all the attention but I adore the hot tubs at the quiet pools at YC and BC. I’ve only been to BC a couple times and YC once but on each trip the Quiet Pool never had more than two families and the hot tub always had 0-3 other people. (TBH my achy muscles are ALL about the hot tubs 😃)

ETA: there was the day at YC this guy was hashing our EVERY personal detail- I mean EVERY detail- of his relationship on his cellphone at the hot tub 😬 luckily I was traveling with a friend who was just like “Whaaaat??? Yikes. Sucks to be them!” and thought it was still a relaxing spot 😂

It’s so the disappointment of others for me too. But I’m solo and my fam are troopers. My Mom told me she never thought she’d get to stay GF and is quite excited- so yay!

EP resorts are such a treat!! There’s nothing quite like being able to kick it in World Showcase and just waltz back to your room- betcha she wants to go back 😉 You could be creating a monster here... I see BC or YC split with Poly stays in your distant future! (BC/Poly is my jam! When I have the funds 😂)

Fwiw- Stormalong Bay gets all the attention but I adore the hot tubs at the quiet pools at YC and BC. I’ve only been to BC a couple times and YC once but on each trip the Quiet Pool never had more than two families and the hot tub always had 0-3 other people. (TBH my achy muscles are ALL about the hot tubs 😃)

ETA: there was the day at YC this guy was hashing our EVERY personal detail- I mean EVERY detail- of his relationship on his cellphone at the hot tub 😬 luckily I was traveling with a friend who was just like “Whaaaat??? Yikes. Sucks to be them!” and thought it was still a relaxing spot 😂

I stayed for the weekend at BC last November for a quick solo trip for F&W and remembered how much I loved walking to the parks (my family trips growing up were spent at the Dolphin). I also adored the hot tub, more than the actual SAB pool lol. Love that they have adults only...I spent the better part of Sunday just chatting with folks there. It was so fun.

Called and my Nov trip is moved to GF :D

Time to learn about GF! Never been!

The GF is a beautiful resort. It's not the Poly, but it is a great place to stay.....I think you'll like it :).

My Dec Poly stay is now at YC (my request). Didn't want CR and GF outside rooms are not my fave. I'm happy with the change and excited to try a new place!

I had my first YC stay last year and I loved it. The MK resorts are still my fav (particularly Poly), but I did have a great time at YC. Hope you have a great trip and enjoy the YC :wizard:.

We talked it over when I got home and gf talked me off the cliff like she normally does.:rotfl2:Part of why i was so upset is because gf loves the Poly more than any place in the world and was so looking forward to it, and I was heartbroken to have to disappoint her again after everything. But she reassured me that she would be happy staying anywhere with me. We’re thinking about changing up the split to a week of regular GF (much more doable) with a week at YC as the other side of the split. The closest she’s ever stayed to the Epcot resorts is a family trip to CBR back when it was brand new, and she loves the idea of the theme (she loves nautical anything). As long as she’s happy it will help my disappointment. Staying cash at DVC is also an idea, but that really depends on how disruptive the GCH construction is. I’d rather wait and see our Poly at her best.

And gosh I’ll be so glad just to have any Disney at all after all this that I bet it won’t even matter. I’ll just spend my birthday in Galaxy’s Edge.

I think a GF/YC split is a great idea! The YC is a nice resort, I think you'll both like it :goodvibes.

What a sweet post. Dusty in here anyone, just me? :sad:

Glad you’re back and have a wonderful new plan to look forward to for your big birthday trip. I haven’t stayed at the YC since 2014 and suddenly feel the need to add it to my wishlist!

I mentioned to DD that some people who are scheduled to go to the Poly next summer after us are being moved to GF. She was really not happy since in her mind, GF is her wedding hotel and venue, and she doesn't want to stay there until then. So, she mentioned that if we are forced to move from the Poly, she would prefer the Contemporary. After reading here that some people are doing split trips, I could see us splitting between Contemporary and Beach Club. We only go to MK and Epcot, so we will go to the closer park when we are staying at the area resort. I miss Stormalong Bay, and would absolutely love to go to the Beach Club just for that. It feels good to know that if Disney messes around with our reservation, we have options that we can live with.

So we wait and see for now. Obviously the Polynesian is our first choice of where we want to be.

Last edited:
I mentioned to DD that some people who are scheduled to go to the Poly next summer after us are being moved to GF. She was really not happy since in her mind, GF is her wedding hotel and venue, and she doesn't want to stay there until then. So, she mentioned that if we are forced to move from the Poly, she would prefer the Contemporary. After reading here that some people are doing split trips, I could see us splitting between Contemporary and Beach Club. We only go to MK and Epcot, so we will go to the closer park when we are the area resort. I miss Stormalong Bay, and would absolutely love to go to the Beach Club just for that. It feels good to know that if Disney messes around with our reservation, we have options that we can live with.

So we wait and see for now. Obviously the Polynesian is where we want to be.

Honestly? It's probably better to contact them and be proactive about it. The earlier you do it, the more options you have.

What is the likelihood of us being moved? I don't want to move unless we absolutely must.

If people later than you are being moved, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet you'd be moved. And the longer you wait, the more limited your choices are. There may not be a CR/whatever split stay available. And then it's take what's there or cancel all together.

NOW. There is the DVC side that will be open - just no monorail stop at the least. We don't know what it will mean for dining, etc. My TA suggested (even prior to the monorail announcement) moving from the DVC side for me because she knows how much I have dreamed of staying there and wants it as perfect as possible. Not disrupted by stuff like this. If you're ok with disruption and can do a DVC studio or two, see about changing to that.

will boat launch from Poly to Mk be running ?I wonder what early oct actually means, no date given on these changes to services.

Transportation

• Bus transportation is available from this Disney Resort hotel to EPCOT, Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park, Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and the Disney Springs area; bus transportation will be available to Magic Kingdom park beginning in early October 2020
  • Water taxis are not available from this Disney Resort hotel to Magic Kingdom park
  • Monorail transportation is available between the Great Ceremonial House and Magic Kingdom park until early October 2020—see details below; the walkway to the Transportation and Ticket Center will remain open, where Guests may access the monorail and ferry boats to Magic Kingdom park
  • Monorail transportation is not available for EPCOT
Resort Refurbishment
Due to upcoming refurbishment work at the Great Ceremonial House, monorail service to Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort will be temporarily suspended beginning in early October 2020.
This is really a bummer for me. This directly impacts my 3rd re-scheduled trip (August -> October -> December). I was very happy to see 12/10 pop up yesterday in a DVC studio and now I know why. I love the resort and I love the DVC studios, but I can't see myself paying primo DVC pricing for crappy transportation. For me, the monorail and water taxis are an integral part of the resort. I do admit that I wasn't following along too closely and didn't know about the previous lack of water taxis and monorail to Epcot. I also wonder if the GCH refurb will also cause some of the restaurants to close too :(.

Off topic of the refurbs, but has anybody availed themselves lately of the fitness center at Grand Floridian? It's my understanding it's available to Poly guests since Poly doesn't have its own. I am just trying to find out more info about it (I guess I'll also post to the GF thread about this too, haha).

Off topic of the refurbs, but has anybody availed themselves lately of the fitness center at Grand Floridian? It's my understanding it's available to Poly guests since Poly doesn't have its own. I am just trying to find out more info about it (I guess I'll also post to the GF thread about this too, haha).

Yes, Poly shares the fitness center with GF. It’s open and available for use. It’s a decent facility (IMO) for Disney resort standards, unless you’re a total gym rat and need lots of special equipment or space. :-)

My Dec Poly stay is now at YC (my request). Didn't want CR and GF outside rooms are not my fave. I'm happy with the change and excited to try a new place!

You’ll love YC. It’s our usual regular trip go-to.

We had Poly in Dec because that’s where they moved us to from WL, our holiday decor fav, and nothing else they offered suited us. But, since our original WL booking was rack rate the new AP discounts made it easier to bail on the price protection and move elsewhere. YC has nice rooms, a great layout, it’s walking distance to two parks, and Stormalong Bay is the best pool around.

This is really a bummer for me. This directly impacts my 3rd re-scheduled trip (August -> October -> December). I was very happy to see 12/10 pop up yesterday in a DVC studio and now I know why. I love the resort and I love the DVC studios, but I can't see myself paying primo DVC pricing for crappy transportation. For me, the monorail and water taxis are an integral part of the resort. I do admit that I wasn't following along too closely and didn't know about the previous lack of water taxis and monorail to Epcot. I also wonder if the GCH refurb will also cause some of the restaurants to close too :(.

I feel the same. I had a trip planned for mid January to celebrate our anniversary, staying at a Poly standard studio, and was so excited, as we haven't stayed at this resort since 1990, but now that the monorail is gone, as well as the water taxi, and I'm worried about Kona or the shops being closed, I'm just not willing to take that chance. Switched to SSR preferred studio, since that's only resort that was available for our dates, and waitlisted BWV and CCV. I'm extra annoyed because I gave up a BWV garden view for the Poly reservation just last week.

We are headed to the poly tomorrow so I can update, but my understanding is both the pools are open, kona cafe and capt cooks open, Ohana still closed, main lobby and shops open, etc. monorail station open until Oct. closure but of course accommodating less people per social distancing..
Here now and loving the quiet atmosphere. (First time renting DVC points). I would hope they will keep the restaurants/pools that are currently open as long as they could, but then again who knows. The monorail stop closure is a real bummer, but the walk to the TTC/grand Floridian is pleasant, and less of a big deal if park hours are shortened and your walking during the day is therefore less..

Last edited:
You’ll love YC. It’s our usual regular trip go-to.

We had Poly in Dec because that’s where they moved us to from WL, our holiday decor fav, and nothing else they offered suited us. But, since our original WL booking was rack rate the new AP discounts made it easier to bail on the price protection and move elsewhere. YC has nice rooms, a great layout, it’s walking distance to two parks, and Stormalong Bay is the best pool around.
Thank you! This is good to hear. We love BC and that area in general so I think it will be great to try something new!

Question for recent (eg, last few weeks) Poly goers. I know in Disney's info has always said the MK resort boat is not operating, but it was when I was there in early July and I saw subsequent reports for a few weeks after that of it still running.

Has it been operating lately?

Trying to catch up on info.

:thanks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter