Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my Pool Report #3

I wanted to see how busy things were mid-week at the pool because often they are less busy than the weekends. Saturday was pretty busy, but would it be busy on a Tuesday? I took a couple of pics tonight. We all have different comfort levels and I’m sharing what my family is comfortable/not comfortable with. DH and I thought there were too many people to maintain proper social distancing, especially given that it’s impossible to wear masks in the pool and there are kids swimming/diving underwater and popping up/moving around/catching balls, etc. in other words, lots of movement that brings parties close to each other. There were more than 25 different groups.
512333r

I wanted to see how busy things were mid-week at the pool because often they are less busy than the weekends. Saturday was pretty busy, but would it be busy on a Tuesday? I took a couple of pics tonight. We all have different comfort levels and I’m sharing what my family is comfortable/not comfortable with. DH and I thought there were too many people to maintain proper social distancing, especially given that it’s impossible to wear masks in the pool and there are kids swimming/diving underwater and popping up/moving around/catching balls, etc. in other words, lots of movement that brings parties close to each other. There were more than 25 different groups.
View attachment 512333r
View attachment 512331

View attachment 512332

That looks so busy compared to my past trips!

What’s gonna happen when the rest of the resort opens?

Love seeing the pix tho, such a fun place! Enjoy your trip and hope dd had a nice bday!

Poly may have some unique considerations with Trader Sam's being such a small space and O'hana being so popular it may draw large atrium crowds. Tiki terrace has more space but might be they don't want to draw large bar crawler crowds from MK with its early closure. But I see no reason why Oasis shouldn't open at least.

It might also fall under the bar closure mandate...if less than 51% of its revenue is from alcohol, they can't open. The places that also offer food have a better chance of staying open. And I'm sure there's a max capacity for indoor places too. Damn covid strikes again!

Sorry to but in and be a bit off topic but would wonder if you could let us know what the pool was like at the Riviera. We are booked at the Poly but thinking of switching. The reports of the Poly pool being crowded make me nervous, and I feel like there is a lot we'd be missing out on at the poly now (fireworks on the beach, trader sams/tiki terrace, O'Hana, epcot monorail). But the riviera pool looks a bit small in photos so wonder if that was really crowded too.

We stayed recently at RR and the pool was never crowded at all...as a matter of fact on a Monday night at 8:00 my wife and I were the only ones in the main pool. Was strange, but very funny at the same time, we had a ton of laughs with the lifeguards about which one was gonna save me if I couldn't swim. Good times

It might also fall under the bar closure mandate...if less than 51% of its revenue is from alcohol, they can't open. The places that also offer food have a better chance of staying open. And I'm sure there's a max capacity for indoor places too. Damn covid strikes again!

If that were the case, then how do they open the main pool bar at Poly? They are not serving any food there.

If that were the case, then how do they open the main pool bar at Poly? They are not serving any food there.
They made modifications to the executive order that shut down bars (again) - now they can open and serve as long as they’ve limited indoor capacity to 50% if I recall. I’ll look for an article to link back in a minute. This is why Jock Lindsey’s closed and reopened a few days later (reopened 7/5) as well as Enchanted Rose and probably some others that I wasn’t keeping tabs on.

Edit: link to news story about modifications to order allowing bars to open with limited capacity here: https://www.mysuncoast.com/2020/07/03/amendment-allows-some-florida-bars-re-open/

I wouldn't be surprised if all of the bars at Poly are under a single liquor license and combined with the dining locations at the resort for purposes of complying with the law. In other words, I would bet that restrictions are self-imposed by Disney.

I can understand why it’s difficult to get TS open again. The capacity is so small, I wonder how many guests can fit with proper social distancing anyway - maybe 20-25? But if they can just get Tiki Terrace open, that might salve the wound a bit. Tiki is outside, larger area, serves the same drinks, and we always get a small plate or two when we go. That would help both the bar and the dining situation.

That looks so busy compared to my past trips!

What’s gonna happen when the rest of the resort opens?

Love seeing the pix tho, such a fun place! Enjoy your trip and hope dd had a nice bday!
They are going to have to limit access, right? Demand is going to increase significantly, especially considering the limited park hours and the lack of other activities.
This is when you realize how many people the fireworks, nighttime shows, and late hours pulled away from the resort. I don’t know what the solution is. Without other activities, everyone will be at the pool.

This is when you realize how many people the fireworks, nighttime shows, and late hours pulled away from the resort. I don’t know what the solution is. Without other activities, everyone will be at the pool.
Poly seems to be experiencing this issue more than other resorts, though. Why is that? Wilderness Lodge has Copper Creek and Boulder Ridge open and I'm not seeing complaints of full pools in that thread. Same with Riviera. Why the difference?

YB

We just stayed at both. At this very moment, I would much prefer the Riviera unless you are content to just spending the night in your room after your return from the theme parks. And normally, Poly is my favorite resort.

The Riviera seems like it is actually open whereas Poly just seems like they have minimum options to justify having guests at the resort.

View attachment 512333r
View attachment 512331

View attachment 512332
I think you guys may have convinced me now is not the right time for a Poly stay... this trip is celebrating my DH's milestone birthday, and he more of a laid back vacation type, so we are planning half days at each park and a couple of resort days. This just doesn't look relaxing!

Poly seems to be experiencing this issue more than other resorts, though. Why is that? Wilderness Lodge has Copper Creek and Boulder Ridge open and I'm not seeing complaints of full pools in that thread. Same with Riviera. Why the difference?

Granted I was only there one day, but I was at WL last Saturday and once the storms cleared both pools started to fill in to the same extent we saw at Poly. The line for the Geyser Creek walk up bar was 15 deep at one point. Neither pool or pool deck was jam packed and I personally felt it was within reason, but it wasn't much different than the pics posted above (or from what I experienced at Poly last week before moving to WL), especially the WL feature pool which is a rather smallish overall setup. I can see how some would be fine with it and some would think it's too crowded.

View attachment 512333r
View attachment 512331

View attachment 512332
Can you update on the pool slide? I haven't been there- does the slide go thru a tunnel? Just wondering if the kids are potentially going thru droplets from the prior sliders?

I will be staying at Poly on July 29, I would like to go to WL and eat at the Geyser place. How would I travel there from Poly in the evening?

Random question. I just watched above video. I couldn’t hear music under water.

Do any of the Disney pools still do that?

Anyone remember that?

Was so cool to hear the tunes and then pop up and see the castle.

I will be staying at Poly on July 29, I would like to go to WL and eat at the Geyser place. How would I travel there from Poly in the evening?
It depends on how late you are considering. Currently the boats from MK to WL are stopping early in the evening between 8-8:30 PM. You might consider a Lyft or Uber as the fastest way at this time.

The Minnie Vans are not currently operating. There are buses from all the resorts to DS where you can catch a bus to another resort. This is not the most convenient but it works until DS is closing.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter