Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here. We checked in for two nights at a Poly Bungalow On Saturday following a 4 night stay at the Riviera resort.

Riviera room was ready at 9:45 am which was a nice treat since we arrived at 10. Was able to drop off our stuff on the room and go about our day.

At the Poly, the room was not ready until just after 5 pm. Seems weird because most of the Bungalows seemed to be empty so it’s not like they had to wait for another party to leave to get our Bungalow ready. I called once at 3 to check status and again at 3:55. On the second call, the CM was a bit rude. Sort of messed up our plans for the day because I figured we would be in our room by at least 3 pm and have a little pool time before our dinner reservations. Instead, we had to go to dinner in the same sweaty clothes that we wore all day at MK.

We felt there was much more do to at the Riviera. Main pool and Bar Riva was open later.

At the Poly, the only bar open is the pool bar and it closes at 8. Main pool closes at 9. Really not the best time to stay at the Poly if you plan to spend much time at the resort.
It’s funny you say that because we just had a poly/riviera split stay too. I am always looking for what kind of coffee pot it is too so I brought both cone and basket filters :rotfl: That coffeemaker at the riviera is the only one I’ve seen like that. Maybe Disney is testing them out there first?

Sorry to but in and be a bit off topic but would wonder if you could let us know what the pool was like at the Riviera. We are booked at the Poly but thinking of switching. The reports of the Poly pool being crowded make me nervous, and I feel like there is a lot we'd be missing out on at the poly now (fireworks on the beach, trader sams/tiki terrace, O'Hana, epcot monorail). But the riviera pool looks a bit small in photos so wonder if that was really crowded too.

Sorry to but in and be a bit off topic but would wonder if you could let us know what the pool was like at the Riviera. We are booked at the Poly but thinking of switching. The reports of the Poly pool being crowded make me nervous, and I feel like there is a lot we'd be missing out on at the poly now (fireworks on the beach, trader sams/tiki terrace, O'Hana, epcot monorail). But the riviera pool looks a bit small in photos so wonder if that was really crowded too.
I stayed at RR in Feb. We didn;t have time for the pool but I enjoyed looking at it. There looked like lots of space outside to spread around. It was super convenient to be so close to lobby from pool too!

The main pool at the Riviera is probably a bit smaller than at Poly but, for whatever reason, it was less crowded. Could be that the quiet pool is very close and both are convenient to walk to Bar Riva or Primo Pattio (QS). We were always able to find a place to sit.

The main pool and Bar Riva were open later than at Poly. Also, Bar Riva also has food options and table service as opposed to the Barefoot Pool Bar at Poly which does not offer food and there was a single person behind the bar so I found there was often a line.

Overall, I found the Riviera was much more enjoyable and had more to offer at this time. In addition to the bars and dining options, the Riviera also has a nice coffee shop with many options. The only coffee option at Poly is a cup of Jeoffrey’s from Capt Cools.

The Skyliner at Riviera is also really convenient. We never tried to get on for rope drop but without 30 minutes after park opening we generally walked right on without a wait. There did seem to be lines a rope drop.

Last edited:

The main pool at the Riviera is proNablus a bit smaller than at Poly but, for whatever reason, it was less crowded. Could be that the quiet pool is very close and both are convenient to walk to Bar Riva or Primo Pattio (QS).

The main pool and Bar Riva were open later than at Poly. Also, Bar Riva also has food options and table service as opposed to the Barefoot Pool Bar at Poly which does not offer food and there was a single person behind the bar so I found there was often a line.

Overall, I found the Riviera was much more enjoyable and had more to offer at this time. In addition to the bars and dining options, the Riviera also has a nice coffee shop with many options. The only coffee option at Poly is a cup of Jeoffrey’s from Capt Cools.

The Skyliner at Riviera is also really convenient. We never tried to get on for rope drop but without 30 minutes after park opening we generally walked right on without a wait. There did seem to be lines a rope drop.

I stayed at RR in Feb. We didn;t have time for the pool but I enjoyed looking at it. There looked like lots of space outside to spread around. It was super convenient to be so close to lobby from pool too!
The main pool at the Riviera is proNablus a bit smaller than at Poly but, for whatever reason, it was less crowded. Could be that the quiet pool is very close and both are convenient to walk to Bar Riva or Primo Pattio (QS).

Thank you both. This trip has given me so many grey hairs! We have had to change plans so many times.... I do love the Poly but I keep hoping they'll announce they are reopening more dining options because we'd be spending a lot of time at the resort and the captain cooks menu seems so limited now, and we do like to have a place to sit and have cocktails. I worry we'll feel disappointed at the Poly and it won't be worth all the risk of going. Riviera does seem more fully operational at the moment, but is quite a bit more expensive. Anyway, thanks for the input and quick responses--I really appreciate it.

We were there prior to the parks reopening, so our experience was a lot different from what others here are reporting. We love the Poly Oasis pool - that pool itself is the selling feature that prompted us to keep our resort-only trip. There were always ample chairs available during our stay and there were frequent times that we were one of maybe five families there total. Even at its busiest, it wasn't busy. We also swam at the lava pool one evening after it reopened following a storm closure and there was almost no one else there. We had a split, so only two days at Poly and then over to Riviera.

As our stay continued, it was obvious that Riviera was getting fuller and fuller. We were also there over the Fourth of July weekend and I noticed an uptick in what looked like locals (things like UCF hats are what gave me this suspicion). On the Fourth and Fifth the Beau Soleil (quiet/leisure) pool at Riviera was pretty full. I don't think it ever hit capacity/no chairs available. The other pool main/feature did hit capacity or at least hit the point where there weren't desirable chairs available as we saw a lot of families come into the quiet pool complaining about the chair situation at the main pool. In my opinion the only benefit of the main pool versus the quiet pool at Riviera is the waterslide. Otherwise both have similar views, features, etc.

I was worried about the Riviera pool capacity since the parks weren't open and Riviera is entirely DVC - there is no portion of it that is officially "closed", unlike the Poly. Also, whether it's the case or not, the Oasis pool feels bigger than the Beau Soleil pool to me, so when you have kids horsing around (as kids are wont to do, it's Disney after all!) that was more disruptive and felt closer to us than at the Poly, where we felt like we had room to spread out and get away from splashing and kids playing catch. We don't have kids obviously, and I don't mind sharing the pool with them, just an observation.

I'd still pick the Poly over Riviera, I guess I shouldn't be worried about getting flamed since we are on the Poly thread, but the Riviera just does not have a level of theming that appeals to me. The room was gorgeous and new, but I don't like the architecture and exterior appearance of the buildings and the music loop at the pool frankly got on my nerves. Contrasted with the Oasis pool that just instantly relaxes me, the lush landscaping, the tropical background loop, and I am instantly transported. I would say that Bar Riva was great and we liked having that option, but the benefit of the Poly even with limited offerings is that you can also easily walk over to the Grand Floridian and double your choices. The monorail triples your choices by offering the Contemporary dining, and if you were really eager, you could transfer at the MK and boat over to WL for 4x the choices for dining and bars. Riviera felt very self-contained since the skyliner wasn't yet running when we were there and CBR is closed.

Thank you both. This trip has given me so many grey hairs! We have had to change plans so many times.... I do love the Poly but I keep hoping they'll announce they are reopening more dining options because we'd be spending a lot of time at the resort and the captain cooks menu seems so limited now, and we do like to have a place to sit and have cocktails. I worry we'll feel disappointed at the Poly and it won't be worth all the risk of going. Riviera does seem more fully operational at the moment, but is quite a bit more expensive. Anyway, thanks for the input and quick responses--I really appreciate it.
As I mentioned, I still preferred the Poly even with limited offerings. I pretty much knew what to expect and wasn't disappointed - we also supplemented what was available by buying indulgent/favorite "snacks" to bring with us and self-cater some things, like having macarons and a bottle of sparkling wine in the room. When is your trip and what is your party demographic?

Edited to add: we had a Lagoon view studio which was more aptly a park view studio. We spent a lot of time on our balcony at both resorts but there is an innate benefit at gazing out to space mountain, the castle, and the grand floridian that was unmatched by our pool view at Riviera. I didn't miss the fireworks, but I did stream them to my TV on the Fourth :)

Wow, both views look pretty lovely. We're going in early August so would be before the Poly fully opens. We're a family of 5 (kids 8, 8, and 4) so the pool is a big deal for them. We've stayed at the Poly before, but never Riviera, which has me conflicted because on the one hand, we know the Poly is lovely and aren't sure if the Riviera would be as nice, but on the other hand, might be fun to try something new. I'll probably go back and forth on the decision for the next couple of weeks. It'd be an easy call to do Poly if it had all the amenities. We had thought we'd maybe spend some evenings at CR or WL, but sounds like the transportation is ending too early to really do that. GF would still be an option though, although it doesn't have much open either.

We have had to change plans so many times.... I do love the Poly but I keep hoping they'll announce they are reopening more dining options because we'd be spending a lot of time at the resort and the captain cooks menu seems so limited now, and we do like to have a place to sit and have cocktails.
Additional offerings should open on Aug. 12 when the rest of the Poly resort opens. I think the only thing that will remain closed for now would be Trader Sam's due it's 51 person capacity.

Dave

Wow, both views look pretty lovely. We're going in early August so would be before the Poly fully opens. We're a family of 5 (kids 8, 8, and 4) so the pool is a big deal for them. We've stayed at the Poly before, but never Riviera, which has me conflicted because on the one hand, we know the Poly is lovely and aren't sure if the Riviera would be as nice, but on the other hand, might be fun to try something new. I'll probably go back and forth on the decision for the next couple of weeks. It'd be an easy call to do Poly if it had all the amenities. We had thought we'd maybe spend some evenings at CR or WL, but sounds like the transportation is ending too early to really do that. GF would still be an option though, although it doesn't have much open either.
We are looking at the same timeframe and are trying a preferred one bedroom at Saratoga Springs for August. We got tired of driving to Disney Springs for dinner on our last trip. The refurbished rooms are absolutely gorgeous and the AP rate was really good. There are a LOT of pools at SSR including two feature pools... Not to add more confusion to your decision. :flower3:

I know prior to Covid-19 and Disney World closing, there were talks that the resort side of the Poly may be undergoing room renovations. Is it likely any kind of room renovation will be put on hold now?

My guess is a strong yes, things will be put on hold.
I would guess so too. WL is actually going forward with its room reservations, which is likely why they are not opening yet. Poly is only the second resort to open its non-DVC side, so it would be strange for them to close a lot of rooms for renovations, especially since the reduced park hours give less time for construction to proceed without bothering other guests during the day.

Do we know for sure that other amenities are opening on 8/12? I mean, it makes sense that they would, but has Disney actually said that anywhere?

No announcements specifically for the Poly but when the CR opened the Tower & Garden wing all the dining options were opened. Yes Chef Mickey's is still Breakfast only open 7 AM - 11:30 AM but it is open.

Dave

No announcements specifically for the Poly but when the CR opened the Tower & Garden wing all the dining options were opened. Yes Chef Mickey's is still Breakfast only open 7 AM - 11:30 AM but it is open.

Dave
Poly may have some unique considerations with Trader Sam's being such a small space and O'hana being so popular it may draw large atrium crowds. Tiki terrace has more space but might be they don't want to draw large bar crawler crowds from MK with its early closure. But I see no reason why Oasis shouldn't open at least.

I'd still pick the Poly over Riviera, I guess I shouldn't be worried about getting flamed since we are on the Poly thread, but the Riviera just does not have a level of theming that appeals to me. The room was gorgeous and new, but I don't like the architecture and exterior appearance of the buildings and the music loop at the pool frankly got on my nerves.

Tell us how you really feel @pepperandchips! 🤣🤣

But actually, I feel the same. Granted I haven’t stayed at Riv, only visited, but I don’t quite get it either.

YB
Tell us how you really feel @pepperandchips! 🤣🤣

But actually, I feel the same. Granted I haven’t stayed at Riv, only visited, but I don’t quite get it either.

We just stayed at both. At this very moment, I would much prefer the Riviera unless you are content to just spending the night in your room after your return from the theme parks. And normally, Poly is my favorite resort.

The Riviera seems like it is actually open whereas Poly just seems like they have minimum options to justify having guests at the resort.

Both are lovely!

I enjoyed the room and balcony in February at RR but Seven Seas Lagoon is my home.

Next stop? CR TPV!

Tried to do poly but resort can’t guarantee an outdoor space(2nd floor) and studios never have lake view for cash guests.,

With limited evening options we prefer to just sit and enjoy the view!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter