• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our trip is next month and we are so excited to stay at the Poly! I was hoping someone could tell me if they sell bottles on red wine in the gift shop? If s, do they open the bottle for you or do they sell bottle openers? Thanks ☺

The last time I bought a bottle of wine at the Poly, they offered to open it (although that was about 2 years ago, so can't say for sure about today's practice). I ended up buying the bottle opener instead, and it's now always with us at WDW, as is a wine stopper.

Please forgive me if this was already answered. Are the standard rooms large enough to fit/charge a motorized vehicle? My husband is disabled, but he (fortunately) doesn't need a wheelchair/accessible room anymore. I read that it is better to rent a motorized vehicle from an outside vendor so we'd need to bring it back to the room each day. We decided on Poly to save him from some of the bus drama I've seen on previous stays. TIA

There is plenty of room for an ECV/scooter. We have even managed to fit one into a Wilderness Lodge room and an Art of Animation Little Mermaid room, both of which are a fair bit smaller than Poly rooms. Took some creativity, but is doable ;-) Consider that with a room at POly you will have two beds and then the sofa -- all that space in front of the sofa is available.

Renting from an outside vendor means you are guaranteed to have an ECV [renting in the parks is first come, first served, and apparently they often run out], and have it available to get to and from your resort room. I know for me having it at the end of the day to get back to the room is particularly helpful.

The vendor I like is Buena Vista for two reasons: (1) they are a featured provider, which means they are allowed to drop off and pick up the ECV with bell services at the resort -- I do not need to be there; and (2) I like the design of the tiller and the lever that is used to make the ECV move: it doesn't make my hands hurt, unlike the design of the tiller and lever from Walker, who we have also used, which made my thumbs and hands hurt quite a bit. I wrote previously on this board about reason (2), including pictures showing the difference. That said, other people have not experienced the same sore-thumb issue as I did with Walker, so YMMV. There are a number of good companies, and there is good information here at the Dis about the different companies and peoples experiences with them, whch can help you decide who to use.

As for people leaving ECVs in the hallway to charge, not a good idea. I believe it is actually not allowed, as it is a fire hazard (as in they block emergency escape routes -- by code the halls have to be a minimum *unobstructed* width to allow for emergency evacuations); whether that is enforced regularly is another story. The other reason it is a bad idea though, is that people will mess with it as they walk past. Not everyone of course, but all it takes is one or two. They could unplug it, and you wouldn't know until morning; or they could change the settings, etc. At least if it is in your room you have control over what happens to it.

Enjoy your trip.

SW

If we ride Magical Express and choose to bring our luggage rather than have it delivered later, will there be help with luggage right where the bus drops us off? Staying CL and arriving morning or midday.

We are planning our first trip in early March 2018 and are hoping to stay in a Poly Standard Room. The only way I am willing to splurge at the Poly is if we can get a good Room discount. Can anyone give me an idea of what that may be? We are planning 3/1 - 3/7/18! Or do we run the risk of no Room discount at all?

We are checking three weeks from tomorrow and I'm starting to get super excited! Our first Polynesian stay!! Does Captain Cooks counter restaurant currently have a toaster and microwave available for self use? Our previous stays at wilderness lodge and beach club had one available. I usually pack oatmeal packets and bagels for breakfast for our children.

We stayed at BLT in Jan and GF in March. I had heard about the "new" security at the monorail station but really didn't think much about it.

So when you get on the mono it is a short line for the most part. Often we were only one going through. The big difference is at MK. You don't go through those long tedious lines and there is a nice wide area to access MK turnstiles. Very nice on those HOT summer days.

Also for return in the past you had to down and around quite a distance to access the mono but now there is an exit on the right (heading out) that goes right to the mono ramp.

I also saw that on the schooner boats from mk/gf/ply it had its own security for when you exited the boat to entrance the park.

I really felt this enhanced our vaca experience. It really felt like we had our own quicker route to get into the park.:thumbsup2

We are checking three weeks from tomorrow and I'm starting to get super excited! Our first Polynesian stay!! Does Captain Cooks counter restaurant currently have a toaster and microwave available for self use? Our previous stays at wilderness lodge and beach club had one available. I usually pack oatmeal packets and bagels for breakfast for our children.
You can run water through the coffee pot in the room to use for the oatmeal too.

I used to bring hot choc for the kids and do that as well in the winter.

We are just under one month from our stay now and getting excited. Just a simple question about the bathroom. I was wondering if the bathtub has a retractable clothesline for drying swimsuits and such?

We are planning our first trip in early March 2018 and are hoping to stay in a Poly Standard Room. The only way I am willing to splurge at the Poly is if we can get a good Room discount. Can anyone give me an idea of what that may be? We are planning 3/1 - 3/7/18! Or do we run the risk of no Room discount at all?

The Mousesavers website is very helpful at giving info on historical room rates and discounts. That said, it is always possible that a discount is not available for your dates. You can book a room and with room only, it is possible to cancel within a very short window in advance of your stay (5 days?) with no penalty. So you can book at rack rate and keep watching for a discount. You can book also book a "back up room" at a rate you are willing to pay with no discount.

https://www.mousesavers.com/historical-information-on-walt-disney-world-resort-discounts/

https://www.mousesavers.com/walt-di...d-resort-hotel-discounts-codes/#roomonlycodes

I think you do run the risk of no room discount. It sounds as though Poly is reducing the size of the Standard category, and many times the standard category has already not been discounted in many of the room-only/free dining releases. It looks like for those dates availability is already sketchy, although with the website lately, who knows.

I would not book expecting a discount to apply later for a Poly Standard. The more rooms booked, the less discounting they do.

No, I won't be booking until they release discounts (which I read was late Sept last year). I really want to stay at the Poly, but I can't justify a $575/night hotel stay!

Photobucket recently changed their policies and is now charging some absurd price to host photos like the way those are posted here - like $399 per year or something. It has screwed up the "page 1" pics on several threads around here along with anyone else who has a lot of photos posted via photobucket.

@maiapapaya came by earlier this week to say she knows about it and will be working to address as time allows. Probably no small feat to get all of those photos re-posted via another method.

Photobucket really messed up a lot of folks.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for answering! Yes it does help :)

Sorry you weren't able to find something for December. I tried pricing several dates/resorts and also had trouble finding availability. Enjoy the planning for February, hope you have a great time at the Poly :wizard:.

Thank you! We are torn between Poly and GF...but no GF without the discount and I want to learn more about Poly which is why I am here. A huge issue for me is that I have food allergies (not the kind that kill you but I get migraines)..no pork, shellfish, cheese, or MSG which is very common is soy sauce...Sooo lol that leaves me with about 2 things I can eat at each restaurant with modifications :)

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure we will have no problem figuring something out.
There are 2 bars that are below the sink. Odd place for them but work good for hanging wet stuff. There is also a hook up high on the wall near the shower facing the toilet.

Also if damp but not dripping I hang my stuff on the handles to the closet or hang on pant hangers in the closet.

I use pant hangers often to dry the towels. Spread out like that works better than a hook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter