Disney's Magical Express to End in 2022, Extra Magic Hours to be Replaced with Early Theme Park Entry Later This Year

I loved DME! It was such an ingrained part of the Disney trip! Loved just grabbing my carryon and heading to the DME, getting on the bus, watching the cheesy video (oh GUS!!!) Hate the thought of renting a car (never need it once were on property) but I'd love to hear if Uber/Lyft will start price gouging...

I also wonder if Disney is going to launch their own Disney owned/operated bus system (and probably now charge for the perk.. :(

I don’t post much but we head to Disney once or twice a year from the Midwest and often rave to our friends how easy Disney makes it with kids for all the reasons already listed - no car seats to pack, luggage shows up at rooms, transportation is taken care of, etc. We typically stay in deluxe resorts as well and Does y has got plenty of our money through the years. I get Disney has to find a way to make money currently but to roll all the magic out of our trips has us second guessing things. We have already booked a Universal trip coming up with no planned stops at Disney. I wouldn’t have ever dreamed that to be an option after 12 straight years of big trips to Disney with the family.

Disney isn’t going to sell off one of their properties, especially one of the largest on property resorts.

Four Seasons, Swan and Dolphin... they most certainly could turn it over to another company, and break our hearts for sure.

Four Seasons, Swan and Dolphin... they most certainly could turn it over to another company, and break our hearts for sure.
That was more than 30 years ago that those hotels were allowed to open in the Disney bubble without being owned by Disney. It will never happen again. Disney makes a killing on the hotels and they won’t sell off a very strong resort in the heart of their property to make a short term gain.

EMH ending allows them to have the After Hours parties more frequently without worrying about the impact on day guests. I can almost guarantee that's what they were going for on this
This is the first thing I thought of. I've seen a lot of (I love the parks at night and will miss evening EMH" replies. How much will you and your family miss them? $400 worth? Because that's what XYZ After Dark is going to cost and they'll have them all year long now which means that whatever park has them/it will close at 6pm or so.

Maybe I’m naive but I feel like they have to replace the DME with some service that works similarly. If they charge for it I fall in category even when free you pay for it somewhere (though I guess not realy true for us dvc). Anyone have any details on system that pre-dates DME?

We got on a Magical Express bus the morning of 12/30 at 8:20am. We were the only 3 persons on the bus and off we went. It was so NICE and I thought to myself: "this is NOT cost effective at all".
The elimination isn't a surprise to me, it is losing $ hand over foot right now.
That is because of the pandemic. I go to WDW every year, and the Magical Express buses I ride on always full both to and from the airport. Every time.

Some rather significant WDW resorts updates to start the week....

Per Disney Parks Blog - https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2021/01/a-look-ahead-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

DME to End in 2022
Vacationers have more options to choose from than ever for transportation, including ride-share services that save time and offer more flexibility to go where they want, when they want.

In light of this shift, when Disney Resort hotel bookings open for stays in 2022, we will no longer offer Disney’s Magical Express service for airport transportation, starting with arrivals Jan. 1, 2022.

We will continue to operate the service for new and existing reservations made at Disney Resort hotels for arrivals throughout 2021.

Additionally, complimentary transportation options – such as buses, monorails and Disney Skyliner – will continue to be available within Walt Disney World Resort for Disney Resort hotel guests, including to and from all four theme parks.

Coming Soon - Early Theme Park Entry
We know how much guests enjoy extra park time, so coming later this year as part of our 50th anniversary celebration, Disney Resort hotel guests and guests of other select hotels will be able to enjoy more fun with 30-minute early entry to ANY theme park, EVERY day.

It’ll be a great way to get a jump start on your Disney day, no matter the day!

As a reminder, the Extra Magic Hours benefit was suspended when Walt Disney World Resort reopened last summer, and as we continue to manage attendance with health and safety top of mind, Extra Magic Hours will not return.

The new early theme park entry benefit helps us better spread visitation across all four theme parks, while providing added flexibility by giving guests extra early park time on each day of their vacation and in the park of their choosing.

Please note that guests need valid admission and a park reservation made via the Disney Park Pass system to enter a theme park.

Other Links:

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/disneys-magical-express-extra-magic-hours-to-be-discontinued/

This is just wretched news. We go to WDW once a year and that feeling of walking out past security into the main lobby of the airport and heading for “B”. Oh man. And having your magic band scanned to enter the ME line. What a feeling! And seeing my children getting more and more excited before getting onto the bus and sitting back and imagining- just imagining- all the fun you are about to have an all of the memories you will make. That’s going to be fine? Wow. I’m so sad.

Magical express after a Wednesday night of EMH was how I convinced my husband DVC was right for our family.

I’m surprised how much these announcements have upset me. I feel like the system I bought into doesn’t exist anymore. I’m happy with hard ticket events, and I was pretty sure eventually fast pass would cost money. But EMH late at night was just the coolest thing ever, so special. I’d even be willing to pay for EMH/ME!

Maybe Disney is more fun when you’re a shareholder now, and not a consumer...

So right now and going forward there are no fastpasses, extra magic hours, or magical express benefits to stay on site. If they are trying to entice people to stay onsite instead of offsite, I don’t see how this does that. For the first time ever, I’m going to consider staying offsite.
You forgot.........no AP's either. For someone who just moved to Florida........no AP (and TIW) is a gut punch. Although the FL Resident 4 day ticket is making this less.......a bit........painful.

Doug :goofy:

Magical express after a Wednesday night of EMH was how I convinced my husband DVC was right for our family.

I’m surprised how much these announcements have upset me. I feel like the system I bought into doesn’t exist anymore. I’m happy with hard ticket events, and I was pretty sure eventually fast pass would cost money. But EMH late at night was just the coolest thing ever, so special. I’d even be willing to pay for EMH/ME!

Maybe Disney is more fun when you’re a shareholder now, and not a consumer...
Yes, I always looked forward to Tue and Wed EMH.
Always planned my vacation around those two days.

Shame Disney!

That increased the cost of our future WDW trips. Think about this Corporation Wizards & Toads ... 2022 should be a Major Post COVID Comeback Year for the travel industry. And the Corporation has jacked~up prices by eliminating a WONDERFUL service. Way To Go Magical Bean Counters.

My hope is that WDW reps who monitor these Boards are paying attention.
For the many,
many Disneyphiles
who fly into Orlando, AND
stay at an awesome WDW resort
the Magical Express
was the beginning and
the conclusion of the
Magical & Unique
WDW Experience.

Like everyone else that relies on someone else to provide transportation ~ magic bus, taxi, van service, Uber, Lyft, limo, towncar, etc. ~ nothing is perfect. However ~ NONE of the alternatives brings the Magic.
WWWW ~ What Would Walt Want?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter