Disney's Magical Express to End in 2022, Extra Magic Hours to be Replaced with Early Theme Park Entry Later This Year

Disney is becoming more and more like a low class, price gouging experience.
I'm betting that up-charge evening hours every night are coming next. You want access at night? That's going to be a seperate ticket. That's my bet.

It's abundantly clear that top management does not care at all about the legacy of a Disney parks experience. The parks now only exist as a financial opportunity to prop up the stock price. Top management will continue to destroy the Disney parks experience. There is no bottom to how much they will destroy.

I feel really sorry for people who bought DVC. The entire experience in no longer worth the price they have to pay every year. And it's going to get worse, much worse.

It's beyond sad.

~NM

Disney is becoming more and more like a low class, price gouging experience.
I'm betting that up-charge evening hours every night are coming next. You want access at night? That's going to be a seperate ticket. That's my bet.

It's abundantly clear that top management does not care at all about the legacy of a Disney parks experience. The parks now only exist as a financial opportunity to prop up the stock price. Top management will continue to destroy the Disney parks experience. There is no bottom to how much they will destroy.

I feel really sorry for people who bought DVC. The entire experience in no longer worth the price they have to pay every year. And it's going to get worse, much worse.

It's beyond sad.

~NM
If they do charge for being in the park of an evening apart from Halloween/xmas parties i won't be visiting Orlando again after my December trip. They are taking away incentives to stay on site. I am not paying hundreds of dollars to stay in what is best described as a motel room when they are much cheaper places nearby. I am thinking of now going to Disney in Tokyo for my 50th rather than Orlando.

Just so im keeping score. From my cancelled trip in October that i was rebooking for 2022 i have lost.

Free DDP £700? family of 3.
Free Magic bands £30
The Magic express. £50 if i do a lyft. Car hire 300 odd plus 100 odd in parking charges at my hotel.
EMH after closing. £0

So cost wise im around £1200 worse off.

Thats the way to entice me back after a pandemic and global recession,

What can they possibly cut next? Im betting lift shares being able to get to hotels or parks

Just so im keeping score. From my cancelled trip in October that i was rebooking for 2022 i have lost.

Free DDP £700? family of 3.
Free Magic bands £30
The Magic express. £50 if i do a lyft. Car hire 300 odd plus 100 odd in parking charges at my hotel.
EMH after closing. £0

So cost wise im around £1200 worse off.

Thats the way to entice me back after a pandemic and global recession,

What can they possibly cut next? Im betting lift shares being able to get to hotels or parks
Charging you on the bus to get to your morning park/park hop will probably be the next thing.

Anyone else feel like 30 minutes extra is not enticing. So you get to walk to an attraction and maybe ride one—- but the off site people will already be line up to get in to those early entry opportunities anyway- ugh and the no baggage transfer - that was the biggest perk traveling with young kids. These will push people off property for more space at lower prices
I agree there. An hour would be great.

Here and on some other sites I’ve been reading quite a bit of support for the Brightline train option. Just my 2 cents, but for a family with small children that would be a nightmare for me and a definitive no.
Get off the plane, get luggage from baggage claim.
Get on train with bags
Travel to Disney Springs
Gather bags again, get off train.
Make way over to Disney bus transportation
Store bags, get on bus to resort
Arrive at resort, gather bags again

That, to me seems to take up a significant amount of time. Don’t flame me, it just seems like a great big hassle to those with small children or disabilities or seniors.
Perhaps they would add on some type of luggage transfer?
Perhaps they will bring back magical express in some type of paid capacity?
Even with all the “horror stories” of DME taking forever to get to the resort, and luggage not arriving at rooms till 4am, we always thought it was a wonderful perk, and will miss it greatly.
We always felt like our vacation was truly starting when we scanned our bands at the DME area at the airport.
I hope Disney has something in the works, paid or otherwise. Too many things have been cut already. Please Disney, we love you, but you can’t just keep taking and taking without giving anything in return. (I’m not counting the extra 30 minutes, lol)

Here and on some other sites I’ve been reading quite a bit of support for the Brightline train option. Just my 2 cents, but for a family with small children that would be a nightmare for me and a definitive no.
Get on train with bags
Travel to Disney Springs

That, to me seems to take up a significant amount of time. Don’t flame me, it just seems like a great big hassle to those with small children or disabilities or seniors.
Even with all the “horror stories” of DME taking forever to get to the resort, and luggage not arriving at rooms till 4am, we always thought it was a wonderful perk, and will miss it greatly.
We always felt like our vacation was truly starting when we scanned our bands at the DME area at the airport.
I hope Disney has something in the works, paid or otherwise. Too many things have been cut already. Please Disney, we love you, but you can’t just keep taking and taking without giving anything in return. (I’m not counting the extra 30 minutes, lol)
The extra hassle in getting to your hotel and onto a park means less time at Disney spending $.

I would guess there will be Mears Bus Service available just like in the Pre-DME days.

IIRC it was around $35.00.
Yes, per person. I remember paying about $200 or so for my family of 5, plus tip. I don't remember if that was each way, but I do remember that we often rented a minivan at about $400 for the week instead. And stayed offsite. When shuttle service became free it was easier to justify staying onsite.

We really liked ME and treated it as part of the Disney experience. Not only was it free, but I had no worries that Disney would get me to the resort and back to the airport with minimal trouble. It was really a stress-saver.

For the price for 5 people to get to Disney and back now, I am thinking it's probably easier to rent a car, with the added bonus of having freedom to dine off-site. I usually stay deluxe but I do think the prices are outrageous and this will make me consider more offsite stays.

Last edited:
Plus look at all the people who whine about how early DME picks you up to get to the airport - no more faking a later ticket. You just go when you want.
You don't have to fake having a later ticket, you just tell them you want to get picked up later. They will advise you that if you miss your flight, it is not their fault. I did it once when they gave me a crazy early pickup time.

This change makes us much more likely to drive for our trip in 2022. If we are driving we will stay off site and save a bunch of money.

The Reason Disney could sell off some of their resorts is because with this change, they won't be able to fill that many resort rooms any more. With no benefits to staying on property, WDW will become like Disneyland.
This change isn’t going to make any discernible difference in the amount of guests that stay on property long term. Its major news right now and everyone is upset, but it will be completely forgotten, most likely before it even comes about on 1/1/22.

This change isn’t going to make any discernible difference in the amount of guests that stay on property long term. Its major news right now and everyone is upset, but it will be completely forgotten, most likely before it even comes about on 1/1/22.

I think it may as people will need to tighten belts even on holiday with a recession. People will want their monies worth.

I don't think so. ME is a valuable perk. I used to stay offsite until ME was free. I viewed it as saving a $400 car rental so justified the dumb resort prices which are even more outrageous now.

Get on train with bags
Travel to Disney Springs

Well said. I hate driving in and around Orlando. Please dont get me started about interstate 4. It's not going to be the same and Disney is no longer magical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter