Disney's CONTEMPORARY RESORT Information & Questions

we used the big room rate discount to move from Pop to Contemporary Garden Wing Dec. 14-18 and loved our room that overlooked Bay Lake. We had several gorgeous sunrises we watched from our patio. No one was staying in either room on either side of us. We had included that we would be arriving before 7:30 that morning and on the way to the resort we received the text that we could go straight to our room. We were able to drop off our luggage and walk to the MK in time for rope drop. Perfect!

A few photos from our stay

IMG_1574.HEIC

IMG_1575.HEIC

IMG_1572.HEIC

IMG_1769.heic

IMG_1773.heic

IMG_1771.heic

_MG_0053.jpg

0A691457-CC84-4A47-9879-641452298B4D.jpg

DFBE45A3-9632-471F-BFB3-8EC7EE08A428.jpg

E0CF6956-10C8-447F-AEA7-0291A61862FA.jpg

E89BDF1C-0E1B-4F45-9AAD-A8ACC54FCDE5.jpg

82461EAD-F351-4DDE-955A-74333D0FD62A.jpg

_MG_0023.jpg

Really nice pics.

So I’ve taken 5 Disney trips over the last handful of years and stayed in all the all stars as well as pop century. I’m looking to stay at the contemporary on my next trip. At the values I’ve always stayed on the top floor and never had any issues with noise and sleeping. I was wondering what the noise levels are at the contemporary for both the garden wing and main tower. With the interior hallways are things noisy and do you hear people walking above you?
We just returned from a Christmas week stay at CR, first time in a garden wing room and we absolutely loved it. We requested high floor and got 3rd floor, garden view, in a perfect location to the tower, pools, and laundry room. It didn't take us any longer to get to our garden wing room then it had to get to our tower room on previous stays. I found our room to be extremely quiet and we rarely heard anyone walking in the hallway outsideour door. Room layout and size was the same as the tower and we didn't feel disconnected or inconvenience at all by the location. I wouldn't hesitate to stay in the Garden wing again and have already booked it for next October.

Our annual trip to Disney was booked for January, given the current state of things, we opted to move our trip to February. When we did that CBR didn't have any rooms available, so I went looking. With a Disney Visa discount I was able to book at CR - Garden Wing, Garden View. I booked it without ANY research, never thinking the cost would be reasonable. Was it more than CBR, yes, but the it came in at the same price point as AoA - family suites. So I BOOKED IT! We aren't in our room much, we are there for an extended weekend. By what I am reading, we won't have to deal with waiting for elevators, and considering the walking we did last year at CBR, I don't think that will be an issue. Am I missing any huge issues? Other than, we might have to cancel. #2020sucks

Our annual trip to Disney was booked for January, given the current state of things, we opted to move our trip to February. When we did that CBR didn't have any rooms available, so I went looking. With a Disney Visa discount I was able to book at CR - Garden Wing, Garden View. I booked it without ANY research, never thinking the cost would be reasonable. Was it more than CBR, yes, but the it came in at the same price point as AoA - family suites. So I BOOKED IT! We aren't in our room much, we are there for an extended weekend. By what I am reading, we won't have to deal with waiting for elevators, and considering the walking we did last year at CBR, I don't think that will be an issue. Am I missing any huge issues? Other than, we might have to cancel. #2020sucks
There’s only three floors in garden wing so elevator shouldn’t be an issue. Garden wing is close to main building. You will have to use escalator, elevator or steps in the main building. Most of the food and shops are on the fourth floor.

I have stayed in several of the other deluxe resorts over the years. I have enjoyed them all. My next visit will be in a CR tower room with a park view. I have dreamed of watching the fireworks from my balcony. Its gonna happen. Of course, they have to restart the fireworks so I am not considering a booking yet. Staying in a garden wing, while nice, would not do it for me.

I almost booked this morning, but couldn’t quite push the button. I’m looking at April in hopes of being vaccinated and getting the promo that ends 4/17 while also avoiding Easter crowds.

Enjoy the theme park view. I splurged once on Grand Floridian TPV and heard the horn from the “shuttle boats” early and late. I didn’t complain because I too lazy want to move.

What I liked about the Garden Wing (South wing when we stayed there) was the size of the room. Very large with plenty of space. It was nice not waiting for elevators and being able to use the stairs if we needed. It was right next to the pool so that was easy. It's not that long of a walk to the main building and you can use the escalator to get to the shopping or dining areas. Plus the Wave is on the first floor, so no changing floor levels at all.

Just booked Tower Lake View for my DH’s 50th this summer. As a child, we always stayed at the Polynesian. As the monorail would travel through The contemporary, I would think about how cool it would be to stay there. It took 47 years, but we are finally doing it!

Just booked Tower Lake View for my DH’s 50th this summer. As a child, we always stayed at the Polynesian. As the monorail would travel through The contemporary, I would think about how cool it would be to stay there. It took 47 years, but we are finally doing it!
Booked it for myself and some of my crew for my 50th in March. 😁

ETA: I should add, we stayed here in August for the first time, and LOVED it. New fav for MK resort area. 👍

That's going to be an awesome birthday present for him! Have a great time!

Hello, sorry if this has been asked before. I've read that the Contemporary rooms were supposed to be refurbished in 2020 but it was postponed. Does anyone know/have any opinions about whether they'll be refurbished in time for the 50th in October 2021?

Thanks!

I'm just getting back online after a 2 week digital detox, which started the day we left for our WDW christmas trip on 12/19. Wanted to just check in since we spent the first 5 nights in a theme park view room at CR. I've only ever stayed at BLT here so was super excited to stay in the tower, unforunately I won't be returning until they update the rooms (unless I got a dud room, I hope I did, because to say it wasn't great is an understatement). This was our first family trip in 3 years, last was December 2017, and it was myself, DH, DD12, & DD9. We were in room 4240 on the 6th floor, right above the monorail, which my girls thought was really cool especially when you could feel a slight vibration from the resort monorail rolling in and out under foot in the bathroom. I am posting some pictures of the view because it was awesome, and location was great (never had elevator issues at all and it was pretty quiet being on the opposite end to Chef Mickey's) but I didn't take pictures of the room because it was REALLY run down and I wasn't loving it. First off all the drains were stopped up, they came to fix it all really quickly but we didn't love having all the maintenance guys swarming around the bathroom fixing all the drains. We had loose tiles in the bathroom floor that wobbled when you walked, one right outside of the tub that I stepped on every time I got out of the shower and almost made me fall twice, and the door to the toilet wasn't well hung and there was a big gap so you get see the persons rear end if you walked in the main bathroom part and they were sitting on the toilet (DD12 discovered this unfortunate problem on the first day). We started having to close the main door when using the toilet which made getting ready for the day and for bed hard since it limited how many people could use the different facilities.

The carpet was ripped up and frayed in places, and there had been an obvious water leak at some point that had been poorly fixed on the ceiling above the beds. The fridge was also way too big for the little cabinet and the door wouldn't close to the cabinet because of it. It meant a lot of issues with running in to it going to the bathroom in the middle of the night since it hung open constantly. Maintenance said cabinets were for the older fridges and when they get replaced they are larger and just don't fit, so nothing could be done for it. One light in the bathroom flickered constantly after being turned off, maintenance couldn't fix it, would have made a great nightlight if it wasn't so annoying. We ended up just leaving that light on and closing the bathroom door so it was a soft glow in the room at night, which meant I couldn't sleep but everyone else was fine. We also had neighbors above us who were having issues dropping their boxes of cigarettes on our balcony, they came and knocked once while we were asleep which I wasn't happy about, after that if I saw the boxes I'd take them to the front desk.

Overall not impressed with the room, but am willing to give it another try if/when they update them because I love the hotel itself and the location.

We also mourned the loss of my Great Aunt Barbara who began her employment with Disney as Lead at CR in 1980, the beginning of a career that spanned a little over 25 years (she was 50 when she started). She passed away from Covid related pnemonia at the age of 93 on Christmas eve, the day we checked out of the resort and moved to Riviera :(

Is anyone there now that can tell me what the brand name is written on the bottom left hand corner of the mirrors in the bathroom??? Me and hubby have a bet 🤗. Thank you!

UPDATE -- I did it. I booked a tower room (lake view) for a week in April. Hoping to get vaccinated before then, or I will cancel.

Garden Wing is exactly the same as the tower. Location is just different. We’ve done both and like the equally. It’s obviously a bit quicker to get to QS and monorail but walking from GW is really no big deal.

Garden Wing is exactly the same as the tower. Location is just different. We’ve done both and like the equally. It’s obviously a bit quicker to get to QS and monorail but walking from GW is really no big deal.
Yes all the CR and Poly rooms were built on the same assembly line on site and trucked to location of the two 2 resorts and loaded via a crane on to the floor tracks on each floor by United States Steel. The assembly site was about 3 miles from the individual resort locations.

Roy was so disappointed with the poor progress in completing the rooms he purchased the two hotels from US Stell so he could get the work done in time for the grand opening ceremony. The rest is history as we now know it.

Dave

No one ever posts about having good bus experiences, but just wanted to say that we were at CR/Poly this past week and bused all over - we found buses to be abundant and never had any notable waits at either resorts or parks. CMs at CR were quick to organize lines at peak times when needed.

Of course bus experiences can always vary, but at least for our few days it seemed pretty normal/pleasant.

And I kind of hate to say this, but I really don't mind it being bus only to/from Epcot from CR. I love Epcot, and I love the Epcot monorail...but let's be honest, there are times where the TTC transfer can be a pain when you stay at places like CR and GF. The direct bus is pretty quick/efficient.

Overall not impressed with the room, but am willing to give it another try if/when they update them because I love the hotel itself and the location.

Yeah, I'm of the opinion that "it's time" for the CR rooms. Sounds like you got one that was particularly worn (mine haven't been nearly that bad), but in hotel years it's time for CR to get some love. Hopefully after Poly?

My room last week was "OK" - a few small things but nothing terribly out of the ordinary. I'll be honest and say it didn't feel all that well-cleaned.... was a little musty upon entry, some spots that wouldn't pass a white-glove test (eg, floorboards). Again, nothing complaint-worthy or really much different than any other hotel, just a small observation that it felt just a tad off (sort of hard to explain).

I always justify CR in my head because I love the CMs, location, view, size of the rooms, and resort amenities. Last year they did a couple of test rooms with the Incredibles theme - hopefully that means something is in the works 'someday'....

Hi - so we are staying at the Main Tower, Lakeview for the 50th Anniversary coming up in October and wanted to know - opinions... is the Contemporary, Parkview the best room type and resort to shoot for? Never stayed there and figured if there was every a time to splurge it would be this year... thanks for any input :)

Hi - so we are staying at the Main Tower, Lakeview for the 50th Anniversary coming up in October and wanted to know - opinions... is the Contemporary, Parkview the best room type and resort to shoot for? Never stayed there and figured if there was every a time to splurge it would be this year... thanks for any input :)

I personally like both views alot and probably wouldn't overthink it too much.

The lake side is peaceful, serene, quieter. Morning sunrises are fantastic. Watching the boats go back and forth is very soothing. You can see the EWP from your room on this side.

The TPV side is more vibrant, you can see/feel the buzz of the MK, I mean the castle is like right there, you feel more a part of the action, you can watch fireworks from your room (in normal times). But it is noisier - you have the constant bus traffic and general theme park noise coming from MK. I personally like the noise (it's part of being at Disney) but the TPV side isn't just all castles and parks, it's easy to overlook the roads and parking areas that make up a decent amount of the view.

If you have a lake view room, there are still plenty of places around CR to get a theme park view fix in.... dining at Calif Grill, 4th floor observation deck, or the exit stairway platform on ever floor on the north side of the building. So you can have a bit of the best of both worlds.

Always lots of pros and cons and no right answers, but hope that helps.

Yeah, I'm of the opinion that "it's time" for the CR rooms. Sounds like you got one that was particularly worn (mine haven't been nearly that bad), but in hotel years it's time for CR to get some love. Hopefully after Poly?

My room last week was "OK" - a few small things but nothing terribly out of the ordinary. I'll be honest and say it didn't feel all that well-cleaned.... was a little musty upon entry, some spots that wouldn't pass a white-glove test (eg, floorboards). Again, nothing complaint-worthy or really much different than any other hotel, just a small observation that it felt just a tad off (sort of hard to explain).

I always justify CR in my head because I love the CMs, location, view, size of the rooms, and resort amenities. Last year they did a couple of test rooms with the Incredibles theme - hopefully that means something is in the works 'someday'....
I keep hoping something will happen with CR after Poly, it is definitely time! Our room was ready well before we arrived at 9:30 am so I know no one had stayed in it for at least a day or two, but with the drains so backed up I feel like it could have been a pretty long time (because who wouldn't complain about that?). It definitely wasn't close to being at capacity, I'd say not even half seeing as how we had no one within two rooms of us on either side (aside from above us), can easily see how some rooms could sit empty for a while with that kind of capacity and get musty. Ours was at least clean, especially in covid times it makes me feel better, but I guess they can only do so much with extra sanitizing and less cleaning staff. I do LOVE the CMs though, and they were always so quick to respond. We requested more wash cloths and they were there in the amount of time it took my husband to get back to the room from the front desk. Maintenance was super quick, and bells services (thank goodness, I've had some bad bell services over the last year), couldn't ask for better service in that regard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter