Disney's ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 7 resort changes (yes 7!) We always seem to come back to AKL. This time it will be our 18yr Anniversary/Honeymoon (eloped....no honeymoon before) and our first EVER vacation together with no children in tow! To say we are excited is an understatement.
AKL July 16th - July 22nd
July

LSG85, July 9th -16th, Kidani

Weaves18, 10th - 16th, AKL

DisneyMamato4, 16th - 22nd, AKL

Twinmom2002, 21st - 28th, AKL

LvsTnk, 24th-29th, AKL

Can someone please clarify this for me?

We're a family of 4: 2a 2c, with one of the kids classified as an adult by Disney standards. I'd booked a Standard View room at Jambo because I just wanted something basic for just one night. I was perfectly fine with views of the parking lot, or rooftop as described on WDW's website. I booked a Standard View also because it said, "2 Queen Beds or 1 Queen Bed and 1 Bunk Bed or 1 King Bed and 1 Day Bed." As a family of 4, we need either the 2 Queens or 1 Queen and 1 Bunk as described, so I'd called Disney reservations to put in a request that we get a room with 2 Queen Beds or 1 Queen and 1 Bunk. Either would've been just fine. I was in no way looking for an upgrade, nor did I ask for one at any point, just simply trying to ensure we get the appropriate beds for our family according to their website's description. All 4 members of my family were listed on our reservation and MDE. When we got to our room, (got the text, completely bypassing the front desk) we discovered it had 1 king and 1 day bed, but it overlooked the Sunset Savanna. So my questions are: Did we get upgraded? Did I book the right category of room for our needs? Do Standard View rooms with 2 Queens really exist and they're just in short supply so they shuffled us around? In looking at the Jambo map, I'm not even sure where Standard View rooms overlooking parking lots or roof tops may be...are they the rooms along the Giraffe and Ostrich Trails? Or along the Zebra Trail overlooking Boma and the Mara?

We certainly appreciated the view, and are thankful for it, but I just want to know what went "wrong" with the bed situation, if it was my error, so that I can book correctly next time and not try to cram 3 people into a king or 2 people in a day bed. For the one night we were there, it was fine, but none of us really want to do that for more than night or two.
We had a standard room with 2 queens for one night, before moving to a different reservation. It was 3115 or 3215 along Ostrich Trail, lobby level down the hall, overlooking front of resort, Porte Couchre (sp?) drive. Very busy entrance with guests & luggage coming and going, taxis, van, etc, and I felt loss of privacy with drapes open. But it was only one night, and we we really weren't in room much. I would have hated to spend that much on a room for a whole week and felt like I couldn't open my drapes without everyone looking in.
It sounds like you were upgraded, yes. But you could have gone to front desk and ask for room with 2 queens. They would have told you if they didn't have one available. Maybe they could have found something though. I don't know "what went wrong". Apparently your request got lost or mixed up, as a king with 2a & 2c seems a strange room assignment. I'm sorry.

Happy 2 go
Happy 2 go
Earning My Ears
I have a two night stay planned on July 26 and 27th. I was able to get Savannah CL for first night but not second night so got Savannah view for second. My question is what are the possibities do you think we can stay in same room just not have CL access for second night??? Are the CL Savannah rooms different from the other Savannah rooms. Hubby and I were there several times after it first opened and always stayed CL but there have been so many changes since then. I will keep checking in hopes of CL opening up but not really looking forward to checking in and out of same Hotel in 2 days. This is a girls quick trip with no parks just fun hanging out. Thanks for any info.

Happy 2 go, 44 minutes ago EditReport#1+

I have a two night stay planned on July 26 and 27th. I was able to get Savannah CL for first night but not second night so got Savannah view for second. My question is what are the possibities do you think we can stay in same room just not have CL access for second night??? Are the CL Savannah rooms different from the other Savannah rooms. Hubby and I were there several times after it first opened and always stayed CL but there have been so many changes since then. I will keep checking in hopes of CL opening up but not really looking forward to checking in and out of same Hotel in 2 days. This is a girls quick trip with no parks just fun hanging out. Thanks for any info.
They will make you move. Savannah CL rooms are on the 4th floor but regular Savannah rooms are spread throughout the lodge. (DVC is levels 5 & 6 - with CL for DVC being on the 6th floor.) I assume someone else will be staying in your CL room after you so you will move to a regular Savannah room. I agree it will be a pain to move after one night. If you can't find a CL room for the other night, I might consider just doing both nights at a regular (non-CL) Savannah room.

We just booked a savanna view room at AKL for 11/28 through 12/2 for our anniversary.
CS put on the reservation that we would like a king bed. Does such a room even exist? The touring plans site only shows like maybe 2 exist. Is that true?

We just booked a savanna view room at AKL for 11/28 through 12/2 for our anniversary.
CS put on the reservation that we would like a king bed. Does such a room even exist? The touring plans site only shows like maybe 2 exist. Is that true?

November

TeeterTots, 4th - 7th, AKV CL

DizDaD7, 4th - 12th, AKL

Dkrauss, 6th - 12th, Jambo House

Lovetotraveltx, 13th - 19th, AKL CL

Blended Disney, 20th - 26th, Kidani

Henry72, 26th - Dec 2nd, AKL

Smec73, 26th - Dec 2nd, AKL

Mickeyheart, 26th - Dec 10th, AKL CL

MemphisVanessa, 28th to Dec 5th, AKL

Lylone, 28th - Dec 2nd, AKL

CS put on the reservation that we would like a king bed. Does such a room even exist?

Yup.

The touring plans site only shows like maybe 2 exist. Is that true?

The room finder tool on Touring Plans is extremely inaccurate when it comes to room amenities, room configurations, etc.

We booked AKL with standard view for our 35 th wedding anniversary from July 16-22. Very excited to stay here for the very first time. Any suggestions about best area to request for a couple.

We booked AKL with standard view for our 35 th wedding anniversary from July 16-22. Very excited to stay here for the very first time. Any suggestions about best area to request for a couple.
July

LSG85, July 9th -16th, Kidani

Weaves18, 10th - 16th, AKL

DisneyMamato4, 16th - 22nd, AKL

Mickeymomtx, 16th - 22nd, AKL

Twinmom2002, 21st - 28th, AKL

LvsTnk, 24th-29th, AKL

Oh man. Just booked our Fastpasses this morning. 60 more days to go until our first stay at AKL! It's been a long time since we rented the DVC points and we're almost there now.

I still have a couple questions that hopefully someone can help me with. I like the idea of checking in online, it just seems like an easier process. Since, as I said, we rented DVC points, what "requests" may it list for us when checking in, if any? We're staying in a savannah view in Jambo house, is any one savannah "better" than the other? Thanks in advance!

Happy 2 go
Happy 2 go
Earning My Ears

Happy 2 go, 44 minutes ago EditReport#1+
Problem solved... We decided to change dates and were able to get CL Savannah for our two nights. Better rate too.

Oh man. Just booked our Fastpasses this morning. 60 more days to go until our first stay at AKL! It's been a long time since we rented the DVC points and we're almost there now.

I still have a couple questions that hopefully someone can help me with. I like the idea of checking in online, it just seems like an easier process. Since, as I said, we rented DVC points, what "requests" may it list for us when checking in, if any? We're staying in a savannah view in Jambo house, is any one savannah "better" than the other? Thanks in advance!
Your choices are pretty much useless - @ least they were last Dec.. For example, upper/lower floor - you know you'll be on the 5th floor, so that's pointless to choose.
Near lobby might be worth a pick if you don't want to hike too far down the hall (called 'trails' at AKL) to get to your room.
Kudu trail was the other choice I remember - w/ a savanna view DVC rental you'll be on the 5th floor on either Kudu who's villas face Arusha savanna on one side or villas on the other side face Sunset savanna. If you particularly prefer Sunset savanna (it's the largest and has a small herd of zebras along w/ the other animals) then I'd check Kudu trail - as that would increase your chances of getting Sunset savanna view.
Or you'll be on Zebra trail - which was not a choice in Dec. 2015 (although it was a choice in Dec. 2014.) Villas on one side of Zebra trail face Arusha Savanna and villas on the other side of Zebra trail face Uzima savanna - both lovely, IMO. Zebra trail is very conveniently located to Mara, the quick serve restaurant and the pool (being on the same side of the resort as they are.)
In Dec. 2015, I left my choices blank and ended up on Zebra trail with a view of Arusha near a pond.
In Dec. 2014, I chose Zebra trail and that's what I got w/ an Arusha view.
I loved being able to go directly to my villa (got the villa number when my plane landed) MB opened the door, dinning credits worked, but I discovered the next day when I went to charge on the band that my cc hadn't linked to the band so I had to go visit the front desk to have the cc linked in order to charge to the MB.

Last edited:
Booked for a standard room 11/26 - 12/3. Really excited for our first "longer" trip (we usually only do 5 days) and our first stay at a Deluxe. Surprising the kids with this trip, planning to reveal once we toss them in the car at 5am!

just got back! Was a wonderful stay! Two thoughts. Before going I assumed that being on the top floor would give the best view of the animals, but really being on the lower floors gives the best views - you are closer :-)
Also, for some reason (and let me know if you all experienced this or not) but every time I called from our room for housekeeping or front desk or room service I would have to sit on hold.... EVERY TIME... for like 5 minutes....

Anyone have a photo of the AKL December 2015 Recreation Guide from last year? Would like to get an idea of some of the potential Christmas Eve/Day activities before finalizing our plans....especially ADRs. Thinking I might just plan a resort day until dinner. Is there a Christmas activity that we should definitely put on our "must-do" list (kids are 11, 8, and 2)? It will be our first trip to AKL and WDW at Christmas...so very excited!

I just changed our reservation back to AKL! we were there originally but switched to POFQ to save money. I've been hemming and hawing for the past few days about how unhappy I might be and finally decided to switch back. We check in on Wednesday and I'm so excited! We'll be there 6/22 to 6/30. I'm a bit nervous about the room because I went to do online check in and it says that I previously selected room ready early over requests. I didn't select that and won't be arriving until 2:30 in the afternoon anyway so I don't really think that's relevant? So weird. I guess I can always go to the desk and ask to be moved once we get there.

I just changed our reservation back to AKL! we were there originally but switched to POFQ to save money. I've been hemming and hawing for the past few days about how unhappy I might be and finally decided to switch back. We check in on Wednesday and I'm so excited! We'll be there 6/22 to 6/30. I'm a bit nervous about the room because I went to do online check in and it says that I previously selected room ready early over requests. I didn't select that and won't be arriving until 2:30 in the afternoon anyway so I don't really think that's relevant? So weird. I guess I can always go to the desk and ask to be moved once we get there.
We have never had a bad room at AKL. I am so jealous. We own DVC at different resorts and won't be back to AKV until next year. So beautiful, I think you made a very wise choice. (We have stayed at POFQ and had a good time but there is no comparing)

Got an awesome standard room. We had giraffes, zebras and other animals below our balcony last night. This is an awesome resort. I'd say better than our stay at the poly. Wish the bathroom had Better lighting though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter