Disneyland VIP Experience Review - May 2023

Nike4000

Mouseketeer
Last week our family of 4 enjoyed 2 days at Disneyland (5/18 and 5/19). On our first day, we enjoyed the full VIP experience with our guide, Diane. It was simply magical!

Backing up a bit - prior to our trip, we worked with our VIP planner to work out the itinerary for the day. Our planner asked us what shows we wanted to attend, what special activities we wanted to participate in, and where we wanted to eat. They asked about our preferences for rides, what our kids might like to do most, etc. The VIP rep took care of all of the reservations for the day of the experience (this was both good & bad - I'll get to that). About 2 weeks before the date of our experience, we received a very simple itinerary, that included when & where we'd meet our guide.

We stayed at the Grand Californian Resort and booked 2 day park-hopper passes with reservations to start at Disneyland on the morning of 5/18 and California Adventure on 5/19. The Disney VIP planner DID NOT assist with our ticket purchases or hotel reservations. We secured those on our own.

At 8am on 5/18 we met Diane at the VIP desk in the lobby of the Grand Californian Resort. We had never met her or spoken to her prior to meeting her that morning. In fact, we did not know who our guide would be. Interestingly enough, Diane did not seem to have any tangible information about us or our preferences. She didn't know if we had park-hopper tickets or which park we reserved for the day, even though we had shared all of that information with our VIP planner. MASSIVE disconnect in the sharing of information between the planner and the guide. Diane was relieved that we had tickets, they were park hopper tickets, and that we didn't have any strollers in our party. The previous day she had to wrangle 2 double strollers, so she was over that!

After our initial introductions, we discussed our plan for the day - rides, we wanted to go on LOTS of rides. So, we hoofed it over to Disneyland where she shepherded us through the turnstiles and towards Tomorrowland. I'm not going to bore you listing every ride we rode, but we hit everything that we wanted to, except for Smugglers Run, during the course of our time with Diane.

If you are wondering, the VIP experience only gets you into the Lightning Lanes. So, if those are long, you're waiting with everyone else. The big difference is that typically you can only really do the LLs once per ride. With the VIP guide, you can do them as many times as you want. Hence, we rode Hyperspace Mountain multiple times in a row (my personal favorite ride). We got all of the rides in that we wanted. As mentioned, we did not get on Smugglers Run. Unfortunately it was down when we were in Galaxy's Edge. So, to offset that, Diane issued us an "anytime/any ride" LL pass that we could use either day we were at Disney. This was AWESOME! By the end of the day she had given us 3 of those, which made all of the difference on our next day.

The other nice perk is that the VIP Guide will put you in the best row on the ride. You want to sit in the 1st row on Hyperspace Mountain? Done. Want to sit in the back row on the Indiana Jones ride? Done. Diane gently recommended the best places to be on the rides for the maximum impact.

I've read that the VIP Guide will provide drinks and snacks. Diane said that was not part of the package and if a guide did that, it was their personal choice and came out of the guide's pocket. We used the Disneyland app to order food, which Diane picked up and had waiting for us after rides. She also had a great plan for lunch - we ordered food from the Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe, but she has a super secret place to sit and eat because that area is packed with people at lunchtime. I won't give up her secret, but it was pretty awesome. We ate our lunch away from all the crowds. It was a nice break.

Because you're paying for the guide's time, Diane was able to reschedule our visit to Droid Depot and Oga's for after our time with her was over. This was a brilliant move on her part as it allowed us to maximize the number of rides we could hit, ensured we got through both parks, and had a nice break at Oga's after Diane's time was done. We were exhausted after our time with Diane, but were still able to get a few more rides in before our dinner reservations at the Blue Bayou.

Dinner is where our magical day came to an end and got stomped on. The VIP Planner made reservations for us at 6pm at Blue Bayou. We showed up as instructed 15-20 minutes before our reservation time and checked in. Then we sat and waited. This was the first time we had to wait for anything all day. We kept waiting. We watched everyone who was in the waiting room with us get seated and replaced with new people. We kept waiting. We watched those people turn over. We kept waiting. At the 30-minute mark, my wife asked the man checking people in if we had been skipped. He rudely told her to go and sit down, that he was busy and couldn't be bothered. If you know who the grey haired, bearded guy is who works at Blue Bayou, please give me his name. I would like to lodge a very serious complaint to Disney about him. But, I digress. After her rude treatment, she went to find a restroom and bumped into the original person who checked us in over 40 minutes prior. He asked how she was enjoying her dinner and was shocked to find out that we still hadn't been seated. He promised to get us a table. It was after 7 when we were finally walked to a table - at the very back of the restaurant. I swear they added it just for us, right outside of the entry to the kitchen and where the servers get trays and silverware. We walked past at least a half dozen other 4-top tables in the restaurant, but they stuck us way in the back. You couldn't even see the Pirates of the Caribbean ride from our seats. Fine, okay, whatever. At least we're seated. Except it wasn't fine. It took us forever to flag down a waitress to put in drink orders - which came out wrong. It took us over an hour to get our meals. We were going to order dessert, but were worried that the park would close before we'd see anyone to place an order, much less receive the treats. Our dinner at Blue Bayou, consisting of an appetizer course and entrée course, took 3 FRICKIN' HOURS! This is in addition to the hour and 20 minutes we waited before being seated.

I will never book my restaurants through the VIP Planner again. Everyone else could check their reservations on the app. Because the VIP plan uses a "different system" it's not connected to the app. I'm 100% certain this disconnect is the reason why we were kept waiting. We were in the wrong system or on the wrong page of the system. Whatever it was, it was awful. The good news is that our dinners tasted amazing. The food was great - the rest of it, not so much. You would think they would have prioritized someone paying for a VIP tour to get seated within a reasonable time of their reservation. But, no, they didn't.

Because the dinner took so long, we missed our reserved seating for the early World of Color show. I'm sure it was nice, we were stuck in Blue Bayou trying to flag down someone to pay the check.

After that, my wife & I decided to head back to the hotel and call it day while the kids got a few more rides in.

Overall, for 7 hours of the VIP experience, we paid $4,200. Would I do it again? HECK YES! In one day we got to ride everything & I mean everything we could have wanted to ride at both parks. And the ones we couldn't ride, we got passes to try again later. We did tip Diane $600, so add that to the total expense if you're budgeting.

Diane was an amazing guide. She was extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and really maximized our time. I think there are some issues that Disney needs to iron out with the communication between the planner and the guide, and the dining system, but overall, excluding Blue Bayou, it was one of the best days I've ever experienced at Disneyland (and I've been a lot).

I'll answer any questions you have about the day. I'm sure I'm leaving important details out.

By the end of the two days, we'd ridden Rise of the Resistance 4 times, Hyperspace Mountain at least 6 times (once with the lights on), and both Smuggler's Run & Guardians of the Galaxy at least 3 times each without waiting more than 20 minutes for any ride.

Thanks for your report of your VIP day - sounds like you had a great day!
I'd still send an email in regarding your BB experience, even if you don't have that guy's name. Your experience really does sound awful there!

I'm going to be honest - I really wish the guides who do buy food and beverages for their tours would not do so. It makes for an awkward situation when people on the tour ask for free snacks and beverages when it's ultimately coming out of the guide's pocket. I figure if I'm spending $5,000+ on a tour, I can get my own snacks and beverages :laughing: You all were cool with it, but I can see others subtracting from their tip if they feel entitled to them. We all know how that goes.

I always wondered how they did that for VIP tours/CL reservations. If there is no room and no cancellations, they may have to squeeze you in somehow which sounds like what happened with your situation. I'm also sorry that you had that experience at BB, we've always had exceptional service and been treated wonderfully and with complete respect at Blue Bayou from the CMs checking in to the host to the servers.

Great review! It is a lot of money but worth it if you can swing it. We did not too long ago and had a blast. Might do it again in the future. When we did the vip tour, rides that didn’t have a lightning lane, we were able to enter through the exit. So Peter Pan, jungle cruise and others without LL we just got right on.

Agree that it is confusing since the guides at WDW can get drinks and snacks for you from the VIP budget, not their own pocket.

Also, we booked a VIP last year for Columbus Day weekend in October. It was going to be an extremely busy weekend, of course, and VIP services assured me that they would secure our BB lunch dining reservation at exactly the 60 day mark. I emailed them the day before to make sure that they remembered that they needed to book it, and they said they would take care of it. I emailed the next day (day that it should have been booked), and they said that they weren’t able to get the reservation for lunch, and that they made it for dinner. That was a problem because we had already requested VIP seating for fireworks for that evening, and the times were now overlapping with the BB dinner reservation they made (and I told them about our VIP fireworks plan ahead of time also). Now, I could have easily done it myself early that morning when the dining reservations dropped like I did for all the other days of the trip, but I trusted that they would do it as part of the tour and planning. I checked back with them for the weeks after that, and they said no lunch reservations ever became available for them to move our reservation. In any case, we ended up having to cancel that entire trip due to my parent‘s health problems, but in the future, I will book my own dining, even when doing a VIP tour. It sounds like their system is a mess, and I would think they would have priority to book things for the tour guests (and they make it sound like they do), but they don’t. At WDW, we have never had problems with VIP services booking our meals.

Great report!!

I've never understood Blue Bayou. IMO it's one of the most highly overrated restaurants on any Disney property, along with some of the worst Cast I've ever come across. Mixed food quality too.

(pre and post pandemic, most seem to have a 'know it all/high seniority' chip on their shoulders for getting to work there)

Last edited:
Great report!!

I've never understood Blue Bayou. IMO it's one of the most highly overrated restaurants on any Disney property, along with some of the worst Cast I've ever come across. Mixed food quality too.

(pre and post pandemic, most seem to have a 'know it all/high seniority' chip on their shoulders for getting to work there)
I've never experienced that. I don't know why it's different for some. We've had great experiences almost every time we've gone, and nothing really bad except dinner once (lobster was inedible and the steak wasn't much better). Servers have always been friendly, though sometimes rushed, and it remains a favorite in my family. I've probably been there about 20 times over the years. But I've always read negative things so I probably just have different tastes than others.

The restaurant I find disappointing is Napa Rose. They're always snooty and not very attentive when my sister and I go and the last time I went (Dec) the food had changed (fewer options, tiny portions, etc). I can put up with lackluster service if the food and ambiance are good, but why would I want to spend $$$$ at a place that obviously considers me an inferior guest, gives me awful service and food (which used to be a big selling point) that has been scaled back considerably from what it was.

Thanks for all of the great feedback. To be totally clear, we had a wonderful time at Disneyland with Blue Bayou being the lone hiccup. The next day, without the VIP tour, we spent our time revisiting the rides we wanted to do the most and were able to strategically use the extra LL passes Diane gave us.

On day two we ate dinner at Carnation Café & while it wasn't as "fancy" as Blue Bayou, the service was exceptional. We told our waiter that he was the best waiter we had during our stay at Disney. Overall it was an amazing trip.

Like @twodogs said - if you're booking a VIP experience, book your restaurant reservations on your own. Sure, they say they can get you in, but for whatever reason, that wasn't the case for us. Plus, if the VIP people book them, you won't have the ability to check in using the app, which is a problem all on its own. Lesson learned!

We did a VIP at WDW when Be Our Guest first opened. It was so hard to get ARDs. We got a spot before we decided to do the VIP tour. Our guide was shocked we got one because they weren't able to get spots for many guests who booked tours. I think it depends on where you want to go. Since DL has fewer table service options which I think is why its harder to get. So I agree to book your own.

Agree that it is confusing since the guides at WDW can get drinks and snacks for you from the VIP budget, not their own pocket.

Also, we booked a VIP last year for Columbus Day weekend in October. It was going to be an extremely busy weekend, of course, and VIP services assured me that they would secure our BB lunch dining reservation at exactly the 60 day mark. I emailed them the day before to make sure that they remembered that they needed to book it, and they said they would take care of it. I emailed the next day (day that it should have been booked), and they said that they weren’t able to get the reservation for lunch, and that they made it for dinner. That was a problem because we had already requested VIP seating for fireworks for that evening, and the times were now overlapping with the BB dinner reservation they made (and I told them about our VIP fireworks plan ahead of time also). Now, I could have easily done it myself early that morning when the dining reservations dropped like I did for all the other days of the trip, but I trusted that they would do it as part of the tour and planning. I checked back with them for the weeks after that, and they said no lunch reservations ever became available for them to move our reservation. In any case, we ended up having to cancel that entire trip due to my parent‘s health problems, but in the future, I will book my own dining, even when doing a VIP tour. It sounds like their system is a mess, and I would think they would have priority to book things for the tour guests (and they make it sound like they do), but they don’t. At WDW, we have never had problems with VIP services booking our meals.
My fiance has never done BB so we're doing it when we take his kids to their first trip. But we'll probably just do apps and desserts. But yes, we will tip off a full meal. We consider it just a bucket list thing to do. For a nice meal, I have thought Carthay is far superior.

On day two we ate dinner at Carnation Café & while it wasn't as "fancy" as Blue Bayou, the service was exceptional. We told our waiter that he was the best waiter we had during our stay at Disney. Overall it was an amazing trip.
If you open the Disneyland app, go to the menu (three bars) and scroll down to the bottom, you can compliment cast members who provide exceptional service. If you know their name, and hopefully character, it makes it easier. If not, you can specify date and location and they might be able to figure out who the cast member is.

Great report!!

I've had great service there pre-pandemic but have noticed a drop off since then...

I agree the food isn't amazing, but to me the theming more than makes up for it. If there were three or four themed places at Disneyland I probably wouldn't make BB such a "must do", but since there isn't... it's special in that way.

(That said, I could sit on Pirates for an hour or so and be happy, so BB makes sense to me, lol)

@LKing - thanks for the tip, I did not know that. I'll definitely check it out. I'm pretty sure my wife wrote down his name so we could email our VIP planner at the very least.

@AndrewC - Exactly! The theming in BB is key and we missed out on all of that due to the random corner they sat us in. We couldn't see anything related to the theme unless we stood up and walked around the white trellis wall they had us behind.

Great trip report… sounds perfect alsmost except for BB .
That is very disappointing .

Snacks and drinks are provided on VIP tours in WDW. I think that is where the miscommunication comes from.

And Diane is an AWESOME guide. I love seeing her out and about.

I had no idea about the VIP tour in WDW possibly including snacks. I'm booked as part of a group July 11th for my first VIP tour at WDW thanks to a share group so I'm very excited.
If it's a bonus I'll be happy lol.

It's great that you still saw the positive and considered it a magical experience, but I would be disappointed if I paid $4200 for the VIP experience and had that day, or at least felt it wasn't worth the price. It sounded like all it gives you is unlimited lightning lanes. Their disconnect in both ignoring your pre-trip wants and mistreatement at BB shows the VIP program is nothing more than a cash grab by disney and dump you onto a random CM with cutting power. I don't know what a typical tip is but $600 for 7 hours of waiting for you on rides and picking up food orders seems to be a dream job. She also shouldn't be complaining about other customers with strollers who pay that much.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter