• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland Secrets

TheCrew said:
Years ago the two tracks on the Matterhorn were labeled "faster" and "slower", but a problem developed in that lines of unequal length developed. Depending on the crowd in the park at the time one side would be much longer (on grad night the faster side would have far more riders) and so the signs were removed.

QUOTE]

So, inquiring minds want to know...which side is faster?

There is a half court up in the Matterhorn - it was there for the climbers to use while they waited.

The Tomorrowland side is rockier with a little dip. The Fantasyland side is smoother, and slightly longer.

You said the court was for climbers to use while they waited...
what climbers? could you actually climb the mountain at one time?

There are professional alpine mountain climbers who climb the Matterhorn each day, and a couple of times a day Mickey makes it up there, too, to place a flag at the top of the mountain.

The general public can go up the mountain in specially made bobsleds - but they come right back down again. :)

diznefan76 said:
This is true! The Lady Washington was just in the Tacoma Port for the 4th of July weekend. I was able to see her....what a beautiful ship she is! Although I don't think that the Columbia is a replica of the Lady Washington...only because they look nothing alike! I might be wrong though! That would not surprise me!!...lol :rotfl:

There are two major differences between the Lady and Columbia. Columbia is not to true scale. Her center mast is the size of the Lady's aft-mast so it really throws the scale and look off. If the Columbia masts were the correct size, they would dominate the area. They shrunk the mast sizes because of her lack of need to "truly sail" the river. The other difference is that the Columbia is a flat-bottom boat...so that too has an affect on her look.

denyd said:
In front of Cinderella's Castle is a plaque commerating the 40th Birthday of Disneyland. Beneath that plaque is a time capsule with a lot of 1995 stuff.

Cinderella's castle is in WDW. Disneyland centers around Sleeping Beauty's Castle.

Mary Jo said:
There are professional alpine mountain climbers who climb the Matterhorn each day, and a couple of times a day Mickey makes it up there, too, to place a flag at the top of the mountain.

I never saw that! That would be cool

The general public can go up the mountain in specially made bobsleds - but they come right back down again. :)

How do they get up the mountain in bobsleds? How do they get back down again? How can you get chosen to do that?

As one person already said, you can't purchase gum anywhere in Disneyland, but did you ever notice all of the gum on the ground. If you look very closely, you will notice that some of the "gum" on the ground from Main Street to the Small World is actually fake! Magnetic sensors that look like gum on the street were actually placed there to tell when parade floats enter and exit specific "zones" along the parade route.

One attraction that cost $17 million to build, equal what it cost to initially build Disneyland was Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

There once was (and might still be) a tiny shop for Disneyland cast members called "Company D" located above and behind the bank on Main Street.

At the end of Tinkerbell's flight during the fireworks, she used the crash onto a platform where several castmembers were holding mattresses that were used to break her fall.

A large tree collapsed near the riverboat landing in Frontierland on May 4, 2001 (my birthday) causing injury to nearly thirty park guests and crowding the skies above the park with up to six helicopters.

At the 40th anniversary of Disneyland on July 17, 1995, country music singer Randy Travis sang "Happy Birthday" from atop Matterhorn Mountain.

Every major (5year) anniversary since the 25th in 1980 has featured party hats and free birthday cake to all park guests throughout the day.

I can't wait to see what they do this Sunday. I will be taking it all in from open to close.

chibichibirei said:
The Matterhorn Bobsleds, its the ride in the Matterhorn. :goodvibes
Er.....ahem... it's the ATTRACTION in the Matterhorn. :teeth:
Actually, a bit of trivia. There is really only one RIDE at DL..
Can you guess what it is?

Redcon1 said:
Er.....ahem... it's the ATTRACTION in the Matterhorn. :teeth:
Actually, a bit of trivia. There is really only one RIDE at DL..
Can you guess what it is?

Off the top of my head I'm going to say Star Tours and it's "Ride to Endor"

but, I really don't know .......... yet........... ;)

No, that's not it...good guess..
This is actually kind of a trick question and was told to me by a CM when we were waiting for the train at MS station.

Redcon1 said:
This is actually kind of a trick question and was told to me by a CM when we were waiting for the train at MS station.

My second total guess -- the trams that take you to the drop-off points. (hopeful smile)

Redcon1 said:
Is it the train? :teeth:

Oh, c'mon everyone. It's Mr. Toad's Wild Ride--the only thing with the word "ride" in the title.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter