Disneyland Secrets

LittleBoPeep

"I found my moving buddy!"
There is a thread on the WDW theme parks forum for WDW secrets. I thought I'd add what I found on Disneyland's secrets from an article printed in the San Francisco Chronicle. Please share your finds of Disneyland secrets, tips and tricks!!

Disneyland’s original Tinkerbell was a 71-year-old Hungarian circus performer named Tiny Kline. She was the first to fly off the top of the Matterhorn on a zip line, and had previously worked as a stunt aerialist, hanging from a flying airplane by her teeth!

High up inside the hollow Matterhorn, there is a basketball court. It’s part of an employee break room. Los Angeles Lakers center Vlade Divac has been up there to shoot hoops (there is no word as to whether or not this is still there since it’s recent renovation).

Many of the faces on the Pirates of the Caribbean are modeled after the Imagineers that helped the ride. There is one face even modeled after Walt Disney!

The spooky voice that narrates the Haunted Mansion ride is also the voice of the Pillsbury doughboy! Paul Frees supplied the voice for these, as well as some of the pirates on the Pirates of the Caribbean and most of the characters in “Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, though he did not supply Abe Lincoln’s voice.

The sailing ship Columbia, which is supposed to be a replica of the first U.S. ship to circumvent the globe, actually was built in large part from the plans of the H.M.S. Bounty, of mutiny fame.

From groundbreaking to opening, Disneyland was built in 365 days!

Opening day—July 17, 1955—was a disaster. Asphalt poured just hours before guests had arrived hadn’t fully dried, and women’s spiked heels sunk into Main Street. VIP passes were widely counterfeited, and double the number of people expected showed up. Rides broke down. Because of a plumber’s strike, Walt had to choose between drinking fountains and bathrooms. But despite all the opening day issues, the magic Walt had created drew the people back!

Frank Sinatra was there on opening day, and took a ride around Autopia!

Disneyland cost $17 million to build in 1955, which equates to $116 million on today’s dollars. Space Mountain, which opened in 1977, cost more than half that amount (in constant dollars)!

Disneyland is home to feral cats—nobody knows how many—that come out at night, after visitors leave. Years ago, more than 100 were discovered living inside Sleeping Beauty’s castle.

If the droid –pilot in the Star Wars ride sounds a little like Pee Wee Herman, it’s because it is…both are voiced by comedian Paul Reubens.

At least 3 babies have been born at Disneyland.

Untold thousands of the old A, B, C, D and E ride tickets are still in circulation, and occasionally, are turned into the ticket office for redemption—at face value (of all the tickets, the E ticket was most expensive at 95 cents)! Of course they fetch a much better price from collectors when sold on Ebay!

Sleeping Beauty’s castle is based largely on “Mad King” Ludwig’s Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, but with one big difference: the top is on backwards.

On the Star Tours ride just before your runaway star speeder exits the Space Station, keep your eye to the lower right corner of the screen: you flash past what looks like a giant electron microscope. This is homage to Monsanto's Adventure Through Inner Space, which was torn down two decades ago and replaced by Star Tours.

At the end of the Star Tours ride, just as your star speeder is about to crash into a fuel truck, a man in the control booth ducks down, then stands up and picks up the phone. The man is George Lucas!

Conspicuously missing on opening day: the Matterhorn. In its place was a two-story-high dirt pile of dirt from the excavation of the castle moat. It was billed as “Lookout Mountain”. The Matterhorn didn’t open until 1959.

The original soundtrack of Space Mountain , “Aquarium” from Saint-Saens’ “Carnival Des Animaux” is played by 1960s surf guitar legend Dick Dale.

Walt Disney, as popularly believed, never turned Nikita Krushchev away at the front gate of Disneyland. Disney was eager to show the Soviet Premier his submarine fleet, which was at the time, the world’s sixth largest. It was the U.S. State Department that nixed the visit, saying security wasn’t adequate.

Main Street is based largely on the town of Marceline, Mo., where Walt Disney spent part of his childhood—a whistle stop on the old Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe rail line between Chicago and Kansas City. The town named a swimming pool and elementary school after its most famous son. The latter is the only place outside Disneyland authorized to fly the official flag.

Walt Disney is not frozen cryogenically at Disneyland or anywhere else. He did have an interest in the technology, but he is in fact buried in Forest Lawn Cemetery in Glendale, CA.

Buy souvenirs in the morning when stores are less crowded, or in the afternoon when attraction lines are the longest.

See the less crowded second showing of the parades and Fantasmic, and take in the more popular rides during the first showing. Or skip Fantasmic and head to these attractions: Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion and Jungle Cruise. The parade is a good time to ride Space Mountain, Star Tours or the Matterhorn.

Eat lunch early (before 11:30 a.m.) or late (after 2 p.m.) to avoid a crowded dining experience.

Use Fastpass when rides have wait times of 20 minutes or longer. Or use the Single rider lines where they are available if you don’t mind splitting from your party. If two or more adults are traveling with small children, use the Child Swap—one adult rides with the older child while one stays with the younger ones. Then they switch, and the older child gets to ride twice!

Disneyland says they have a “no outside food or beverage” policy, but you can bring in small coolers with bottled water or juice (no cans or glass allowed), and pre-made sandwiches and snacks.

There is a golden spike in the walkway through the entrace to Fantasyland in the castle - that marked the original center of the park in 1955. Now that other lands have been added - it is no longer the center.

The drawbridge of the castle has only been raised and lowered twice. On opening day in 1955, and in 1983 when the "New" Fantasyland was re-opened.

Outside the Snow White ride there is a 'golden' book and apple - try to take the apple and see what happens!

On the ride Soarin' Over CA - the person that hits the golf ball is Michael Eisner, and the ball has a tiny hidden mickey on it.

You can 'pilot' the Mark Twain! Be the first on up to the captains door and knock politely - or ask the cast members that are on duty there to let you pilot the boat. You'll ge to pull the whistles and horns, use the huge wheel, and take the whole trip around the river up there! There is even a guest log book to sign in on.

While waiting to ride Star Tours, listen for the announcer to page Sacul Egroeg - that's George Lucas backwwards.

The droids working and talking to the guests through the Star Wars queue were once animatronic geese in America Sings! Look at their feet.... they are still webbed!

There are so amny more! I could go on forever!

Cool stuff!!!

Can't wait for our DL trip next month :cheer2:

Paul Frees was the narrator on Haunted Mansion, and...

Thurl Ravenscroft (who recently passed away last month) was the main vocal on Grim, Grinning, Ghosts (the song in the graveyard). He was also the voice of Tony the Tiger (Frosted Flakes).

Here's one most people don't know....

When Pirates first opened, most of the skeletons were real. It was easier in that day to get true skeletons than make your own. They have, over the years been replaced...but there is still one human skull in Pirates. It's over the bed in the Captain's Quarters.

And one correction from above....
The Columbia is actually a replica of the Lady Washington. This tall ship still sails and takes trips up and down the west coast for people to enjoy. Ladywashing.org. This ship has also made an appearance in a Star Trek movie...I can never remember the names, but I think it's Generations. It's the one where Kirk and Picard meet up in the Nexus.

The R2D2 and C-3PO droids in the queue are of Star Tours were not built for the ride but are actual movie props.

The two droids in the second room of the queue used to be geese in the America Sings attraction (take a look at G2-9T's feet).

jxgriffi said:
Here's one most people don't know....

When Pirates first opened, most of the skeletons were real. It was easier in that day to get true skeletons than make your own. They have, over the years been replaced...but there is still one human skull in Pirates. It's over the bed in the Captain's Quarters.

And one correction from above....
The Columbia is actually a replica of the Lady Washington. This tall ship still sails and takes trips up and down the west coast for people to enjoy. Ladywashing.org. This ship has also made an appearance in a Star Trek movie...I can never remember the names, but I think it's Generations. It's the one where Kirk and Picard meet up in the Nexus.

Hi - where did you get your info? All the sources I've read say that the Columbia is named after the original Columbia (I also looked up Golden Hind, which some sources say was the first ship). I'd love to be able to verify which info is correct. :)

It came directly from the builders. Ray Wallace (sp?) was a kid at the time that his dad (Jim Wallace I think) built both the Columbia and Mark Twain. He is now responsible for all of the "ship" maintenance on the Columbia (and has done a lot of other "tall ship" renovations also).

When you're walking around the park, don't forget to look up. Some off the things you'll see:

In Fantasyland, when stading next to the sword in the anvil, look about the Snow White ride, the Evil Queen pulls the drapes apart and peeks through the second story window at the crowd.

In Frontierland, when entering from the fort gate and walking towards the river, look up to the the left and you'll see the Davy Crockett Coonskin Hat Company, F. Parker, Proprietor window, which is a tribute to Fess Parker and his Disney work.

In New Orleans Square at the train station, you'll hear a telegraph signal, the message is Walt's opening day speech (I've only heard this once and it's never been confirmed).

In front of Cinderella's Castle is a plaque commerating the 40th Birthday of Disneyland. Beneath that plaque is a time capsule with a lot of 1995 stuff.

If you look up the pole at the fire station, you will see that you can't climb up it, there is a barrier up there. They had to do this, as people kept climbing up it!

You can't buy gum anywhere in Disneyland...they didn't want it stuck all over the park-so they don't sell it.

Love these-keep them coming!!

I just got back from my DL trip and took the Welcome to Disneyland tour. We were told by our guide that as long as you use your fastpasses on the same day and not before the start time, the fastpasses don't expire. It was good information to know. We took our time and didn't worry about getting the attraction between that hour. The bad part is it does make for longer FP lines.

I had just read about the 'real' skeletons and skulls at Pirates! Ewwww!
Now I will be looking for that one real one.....

i just typed a bunch of good facts but my comp messed up :sad: :sad:
so ill just post a few of them.

You probly all know that the building above POTC was built as an apartment for Walt but he passed before it was finished, its now used as a gallary (last time i went they had props and stuff from the Haunted Mansion film) and if you ask one of the employees they will give you a tour of the apt. Theres a door way in the apt. that leads into Club 33.

Before Matterhorn opened, Walt took it for a spin. Since the ride was not yet completed workers piled some hay at the end to stop the ride. Walt liked the the feeling of way he collided with the hay so much he made the ride end to the same effect as the hay.

Years ago the two tracks on the Matterhorn were labeled "faster" and "slower", but a problem developed in that lines of unequal length developed. Depending on the crowd in the park at the time one side would be much longer (on grad night the faster side would have far more riders) and so the signs were removed.

being a No Doubt fan (since i was 10) I'm gonna have to share this..
The cover of their Tragic Kingdom album theres a hidden mickey
The song Tragic Kingdom is about Disney

"The king has been overthrown By jesterly fools" People that don't know what they are doing. And the power (and the power) Of the people (of the people) Shall come to believe they do rule" <--the might be talkin about Walt's death and Eisner being in power

"Hypnotized by fireflies that glow in the dark Midgets that disguise themselves As tiny little dwarfs The parade that's electrical It serves no real purpose Just takes up a lot of juice Just to impress us" <--Main Street Electrical Parade

"They pay homage to a king Whose dreams are buried In their minds His tears are frozen stiff Icicles drip from his eyes"<--icicles because supposedly Walt was cryogentically frozen.

I recomend listening to the song (it used to frighten me as a child cuz i didnt understand it but when i found out what the song was about i thought it was a good/powerful song, its sad too)

TiggerCate said:
I believe the Lady Washington was also in the POTC movie, too.

This is true! The Lady Washington was just in the Tacoma Port for the 4th of July weekend. I was able to see her....what a beautiful ship she is! Although I don't think that the Columbia is a replica of the Lady Washington...only because they look nothing alike! I might be wrong though! That would not surprise me!!...lol :rotfl:

When I worked there back in '92-'93 someone told me that they had to have the basketball court in the Matterhorn b/c any structure that was that tall had to be a sports arena.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter