• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

well that is interesting. I guess I would have assumed it would be with the family fun center type places. I know the Boomers by me has a sign about being open now.
That’s what I thought. I’m thought the guidelines for family fun centers mention bowling.

I just looked it up and does in fact mention bowling alleys. They can open in Orange at 25% capacity.

Last edited:
The reality is not all theme (or amusement) parks are the same. Discovery Kingdom and Disneyland are not comparable. I, for one, will feel much safer going to Disneyland than I will be going to any other theme park whether it be Discovery Kingdom or even Seaworld for that matter. Disneyland creates hundreds of thousands of jobs...the smaller amusement parks don't. IMO you can't group all theme parks together and use that as an excuse to hold Disneyland back because of it.
Are you saying that Newsom should write guidelines specifically for Disney and Universal to open, but intentionally exclude other theme parks? Alternatively, I suppose he could write regulations "for everyone", but in in a way that deliberately makes it impossible for smaller theme parks to comply. Either approach seems ripe for its own litigation. Can you imagine if only large chain restaurants perceived by the state as being able to "do it right" were allowed to open, but mom-and-pop's were told no because the powers that be don't think they can be just as responsible?

ETA: I know all of us here think Disney is in a league of its own, but it's really not. It's part of an industry, the same way that Applebees and Scarpetta are both part of the restaurant industry. The state didn't write one set of guidelines for 4-star restaurants, and a separate set for low-cost family dining, no matter how your average restaurant-goer feels about the relative safety of one over the other. I believe the same will apply to theme parks.

Last edited:

If I already have a discounted rate (military) but have rescheduled countless times since April, will they apply this additional broad discount?

Are you saying that Newsom should write guidelines specifically for Disney and Universal to open, but intentionally exclude other theme parks? Alternatively, I suppose he could write regulations "for everyone", but in in a way that deliberately makes it impossible for smaller theme parks to comply. Either approach seems ripe for its own litigation. Can you imagine if only large chain restaurants perceived by the state as being able to "do it right" were allowed to open, but mom-and-pop's were told no because the powers that be don't think they can be just as responsible?

ETA: I know all of us here think Disney is in a league of its own, but it's really not. It's part of an industry, the same way that Applebees and Scarpetta are both part of the restaurant industry. The state didn't write one set of guidelines for 4-star restaurants, and a separate set for low-cost family dining, no matter how your average restaurant-goer feels about the relative safety of one over the other. I believe the same will apply to theme parks.

Why wouldn’t the other parks be able to follow the same guidelines as Disneyland? Is it because they can’t or won’t? (Sorry not super familiar with the other theme parks in CA)

Why wouldn’t the other parks be able to follow the same guidelines as Disneyland? Is it because they can’t or won’t? (Sorry not super familiar with the other theme parks in CA)
That's kind of my point. I think Newsom will write guidelines "for theme parks", without considering whether Disney should be given some sort of advanced authorization because it is big, has money, and has done well in Florida and other locations. To that point, Universal, Sea World, and Legoland have also opened in Florida and haven't been tied to any outbreaks as far as I know.

So anyway, my point was that if Newsom writes guidelines "for theme parks" which all or most California theme parks reasonably can achieve, then a WHOLE lotta crowd- and tourist-attracting venues are going to come online at the same time, and I think it is the cumulative impact of all the theme parks opening at once that he's scared of and why he is moving so slowly. Other posters seem to be arguing that Disney is special and better than the other theme parks in the covid-compliance department, and so it should be allowed to open first while the others stay closed, or be given their own set of regulations. Presumably, under a scenario where only Disney opens and not the other theme parks, it would likely have negligible impacts on community transmission.

Someone correct me if I'm misunderstanding though.

Other posters seem to be arguing that Disney is special and better than the other theme parks in the covid-compliance department, and so it should be allowed to open first while the others stay closed, or be given their own set of regulations.

I think the idea here is sheer size. Like they said in their press release, they employ nearly 80k people. With that size (and money) comes resources to create more effective covid-compliance. Newsom knows this too, hence why originally it was stated they were considered ‘separate’ in the guidelines. I don’t think it’s the smaller parks holding things up at all. I’m sure he’s concerned about the influx of travel into and across the state.

But we just don’t know do we because he won’t speak to it beyond vague political remarks. 🙄

For all those getting the discount, will this be advertised on the website soon? I booked through Get Away Today and they told me they’ll price match any discounts Disney does so she told me to just call back in a few days because they weren’t aware of it yet. We’re staying at the GCH so that’d be huge!

. . . random thought maybe Disneyland can weather the storm (stay financially sound enough) for the long haul and in doing so I speculate D/L will open again *someday*

Last edited:
I think the idea here is sheer size. Like they said in their press release, they employ nearly 80k people. With that size (and money) comes resources to create more effective covid-compliance. Newsom knows this too, hence why originally it was stated they were considered ‘separate’ in the guidelines. I don’t think it’s the smaller parks holding things up at all. I’m sure he’s concerned about the influx of travel into and across the state.

But we just don’t know do we because he won’t speak to it beyond vague political remarks. 🙄
It's the silence that I find so inexplicable. I mean, to not even be talking to a major economic sector--and your own citizens--is baffling.

It's the silence that I find so inexplicable. I mean, to not even be talking to a major economic sector--and your own citizens--is baffling.
I am sure they are talking to them, they just may not be saying what they want to hear. As for updating the public if there is nothing to say what is there to say? Hey guys nothing yet?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter