• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

Starting to feel like planning a trip right now is more stress than it’s worth but I’m going to hold off on throwing in the towel just yet. A lot can change between now and October but starting to think traveling after school begins (I’m betting we’ll see a huge case increase) won’t be a good idea. Anyone else giving up? 😅😭
I have fingers crossed, but I am becoming exhausted by all the stress. I wish I was on “regular planning” mode....even with some ”new” variables. I enjoy the planning almost as much as the trip, so for me I feel anxiety! I just can’t give up, as a very good friend and I have trips planned in October and December.

I have fingers crossed, but I am becoming exhausted by all the stress. I wish I was on “regular planning” mode....even with some ”new” variables. I enjoy the planning almost as much as the trip, so for me I feel anxiety!

I’m the same way. I love the planning leading up to our trip so I think that’s a big part of what’s bumming me out.

thought I would share
Thank you! DD and SIL have annual passes for the Zoo/Safari Park and had taken their 22 month-old quite often. DH and I had APs for Birch Aquarium. We had been wondering whether zoo-goers would be very compliant because when the local news covered the soft open, not everyone was fully wearing their masks prior to lining up to enter.

90% I guess is good but it’s still the 10% that causes concern.

I have fingers crossed, but I am becoming exhausted by all the stress. I wish I was on “regular planning” mode....even with some ”new” variables. I enjoy the planning almost as much as the trip, so for me I feel anxiety! I just can’t give up, as a very good friend and I have trips planned in October and December.

I’m the same way. I love the planning leading up to our trip so I think that’s a big part of what’s bumming me out.

Agree! The planning is a big part of the fun, even though I go pretty often. The hardest part for me is negotiating new waters and not knowing how to do it. I'm so used to banking on the things I know; making reservations for FPs, park hopping, use of time and knowing where to go and when. Will my restaurants be open? Will I be able to get reservations? How will they handle XYZ? What are lines going to look like? There are just so many things and I've prided myself on being an 'expert' at knowing how to do it like an ace, and now I'm back to newbie-ville :confused::rotfl:

I have a reservation for Sept 22-25. I'm completely in the dark as to whether or not it will be a good time to go and am just playing it as it comes. I'm not going to do anything that I would see as risky for us, even for Disney, but I'm still holding out hope. BadPinkTink, I can't imagine how stressful that would be coming from Europe! Is there any chance you wouldn't be able to go back if there's a surge while you're here? Can you get airfare refunds if you change your mind?
I was planning a trip for the fall. Wanted September but the DLH is closed and I am not sure if I would enjoy wearing a mask all day for those long days in the parks. I would of course if it is required but do I want to spend all that money on the hotel, tickets and food plus the airfare to walk around in a mask in 85 degrees.

Just an FYI, I went to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park today in Escondido. ... As you drove in they asked questions about symptoms and exposure ...
Of course they have to do that — it’s one of the few screening options available to them. My concern, though, is that if someone has symptoms and has chosen to drive all the way to the zoo (from wherever) anyway, they’ll likely be prone to lie about how they feel when asked. They knew they had symptoms when they left the house yet left anyway. They’ve already made one poor choice and ignored their symptoms. That pattern is likely to continue. It seems to me that few people under these circumstances would wait until the last minute to make the right choice.

Last edited:
Thank you! DD and SIL have annual passes for the Zoo/Safari Park and had taken their 22 month-old quite often. DH and I had APs for Birch Aquarium. We had been wondering whether zoo-goers would be very compliant because when the local news covered the soft open, not everyone was fully wearing their masks prior to lining up to enter.

90% I guess is good but it’s still the 10% that causes concern.
FYI Birch preview for members July 1-3

Agree! The planning is a big part of the fun, even though I go pretty often. The hardest part for me is negotiating new waters and not knowing how to do it. I'm so used to banking on the things I know; making reservations for FPs, park hopping, use of time and knowing where to go and when. Will my restaurants be open? Will I be able to get reservations? How will they handle XYZ? What are lines going to look like? There are just so many things and I've prided myself on being an 'expert' at knowing how to do it like an ace, and now I'm back to newbie-ville :confused::rotfl:
My August plan, before it got scuttled, was just to be the most flexible person ever. I think travel anywhere for the next few years is going to require an enormous amount of flexibility. Don’t get too caught up in any particular ride, attraction, or restaurant. There should be no make-or-break conditions on the trip. What I did was go back through the list of attractions and cross off things that did not appeal to my family (GOTG, Incredicoastrer, etc.). Whatever was left was fair game. ROTR? Terrific! Autopia? Just as good! Because we are at Disneyland and not at home, and so what we ride, we ride and what we see, we see and I’d rather be there than anywhere else at that moment. It was a bummer to see so much of SWGE planned to be closed; but oh well, that just means another trip in the future. And at this point, I’d be more than happy to see some of it than what I will be seeing, which is none of it 😉

True anecdote: When I was 13, my family went to WDW. It was the first truly family vacation we had ever taken, because my father had such horrid memories of family vacations as a child, which were mostly just week-long family fight-fests, that he never wanted to do that to him/us. He told us that he was going to be Mr. AA on the trip — Absolutely Agreeable. Whatever we wanted to do or see, however long the line was, it didn’t matter. He was Mr. AA. That in turn made the rest of us into Mrs. and Miss and Master AA, and we had a terrific trip. I think that’s the mindset we are all going to have to adopt - Absolutely Agreeable and happy to be doing anything 💜

Last edited:
Of course they have to do that — it’s one of the few screening options available to them. My concern, though, is that if someone has symptoms and has chosen to drive all the way to the zoo (from wherever) anyway, they’ll likely be prone to lie about how they feel when asked. They knew they had symptoms when they left the house yet left anyway. They’ve already made one poor choice and ignored their symptoms. That pattern is likely to continue. It seems to me that few people under these circumstances would wait until the last minute to make the right choice.

The problem is not with people that actually have symptoms. Believe me, if you have symptoms, you are not going anywhere. You won't have the energy for one and if you are symptomatic, most likely you can't lie, because other people will tell just by looking at you. The non-stop coughing will be a dead give away.

The problem is, many, many people are asymptomatic. They have the virus, but do not look or even feel sick. They think they are not sick, so they are out and about, passing the virus off to anyone in their paths. That is why we ALL need to wear masks. You don't know if you have it and are passing it on to other people, who will get sick and possibly die.

The problem is not with people that actually have symptoms. Believe me, if you have symptoms, you are not going anywhere. You won't have the energy for one and if you are symptomatic, most likely you can't lie, because other people will tell just by looking at you. The non-stop coughing will be a dead give away.
I'm sure that's true. But it makes asking if someone has symptoms seem a bit pointless. Not really :-). I exaggerate and definitely take your point.

The problem is, many, many people are asymptomatic. ... That is why we ALL need to wear masks. You don't know if you have it and are passing it on to other people, who will get sick and possibly die.
Agree 100%. I always wear a mask when I'm out among people. No one likes to wear them. But it's simply something we have to do as a society. I think some people feel that society exists solely for them to draw upon. Sometimes we have to give back for the greater good. We all have a duty to help make the world in which we live a better place.

Last edited:
When do they normally start to break out the fall decorations? I'm wondering if they delay their opening to September 1 if they would just start with fall already in place.
Can't answer your question about fall but Halloween decor seems to start in August.
If they do the HM Halloween overlay, that usually begins around the third week of August. Last year, the Mickey Pumpkin was up in Town Square on Sept. 1st.

And my next question, are they setting aside dates for ticket holders too or just the resort people and AP holders?
Confirming the WDW booking window for Ticket Holders opened extra early this morning at 6a ET. It’s set up the same way as advanced FP booking: Choose your party, Choose your date and park, and the system checks if your tickets are valid before continuing to book.

The Park Availability calendar was showing all dates available for booking with the exception of DHS and Epcot the first few days. The system then began glitching.

For WDW, it was always worth accessing the system early because IT would open up the program to set the restrictions. Those who got into booking windows before the restrictions became live, could book at will. I believe that’s how APs were able to book 3 extra park days after booking length of stay off of a resort reservation.

I don’t know why you wouldn’t do virtual queues for certain rides in each park. ROTR, FOP and 7DMT would probably benefit the most from virtual queues. Even with lower capacity, do you want the majority of your guests to flock to one ride first thing?

I think that they could implement more of a MaxPass system and only get one virtual queue at a time, but at least it would space the number of people waiting out throughout the day.
So, is there any reason why they wouldn't just use the Maxpass system for everyone? Instead of a virtual queue? I guess I'm not clear on what the difference is between these two platforms, besides one is already in use.

So, is there any reason why they wouldn't just use the Maxpass system for everyone? Instead of a virtual queue? I guess I'm not clear on what the difference is between these two platforms, besides one is already in use.
MaxPass is a paid system that allows faster access to the ride. It’s supposed to give a MaxPass holder a minimal wait, 10-15 minutes, to ride the attraction.

Virtual queue is a free system with an allotted time to show up for the attraction and you wait your time until you are loaded. There’s no ‘quickness’ in accessing the attraction.

The Standby Pass that’s used in Shanghai is similar to a Virtual Queue. When the park deems the Standby Pass is necessary, only guests with a Standby Pass can enter the line and wait to ride. It’s used to keep the waiting guests socially distanced without being in a huge line that extends out into the park.

Confirming the WDW booking window for Ticket Holders opened extra early this morning at 6a ET. It’s set up the same way as advanced FP booking: Choose your party, Choose your date and park, and the system checks if your tickets are valid before continuing to book.
Do you happen to know how many tickets they are allowing in one party?

It really does look like Virtual Queue is being deployed widely with its own section on the app and the success of ROTR using it with minimal lines in the standby section when when fully utilized.

Use VQ for stand by lines, and fastpass with built in capacity limits; physical distancing can be achieved readily without spilling out of the actual ride line. I see this happening for at least Radiator, GOTR and Mania on the CA side and probably Matterhorn, Indy and Pirates to manage those typically long packed in lines.

It really does look like Virtual Queue is being deployed widely with its own section on the app and the success of ROTR using it with minimal lines in the standby section when when fully utilized.

So it would be a lot like ROTR where you sign up into a boarding group and they call you when it's your turn? How do you think that would work with signing up for multiple boarding groups?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter