• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just booked a trip for the week after Thanksgiving! We are really hoping the crowds won't be too crazy. We are taking baby for his first time (he will be 7 months old) Grandparents, aunts and cousins will also be along for the fun! None of us has seen Disneyou at the Christmas season and are soo excited!

I enjoyed a nice few months of reasonable, cool temperatures here in Southern California -- and now that is all coming to an end, as the sun is getting harsh and the temperatures are climbing. Right around now, when the heat is getting hotter and the days are longer, is when I start mentally jumping ahead to fall, Halloween and the holidays. I am excited for and eagerly looking forward to the holidays! I hope we get the Winter Castle back again!

I enjoyed a nice few months of reasonable, cool temperatures here in Southern California -- and now that is all coming to an end, as the sun is getting harsh and the temperatures are climbing. Right around now, when the heat is getting hotter and the days are longer, is when I start mentally jumping ahead to fall, Halloween and the holidays. I am excited for and eagerly looking forward to the holidays! I hope we get the Winter Castle back again!

I think we're going back to holiday season this year, so I sure hope so too!

Sherry, it was way too hot today! When I got to church this morning for Bible Study, a friend recommended I turn my car around so it was facing toward the shade instead of the open parking lot in the sun. Maybe I should have listened. Poor car was a sauna less than 2 hours later. I need to start looking for shorts! :)

I sure vote for the Winter Castle.

Meantime, a little later this evening, I will finally make my picture folder so it's ready for the start of this year's Christmas picture threads on here :santa:

I think we're going back to holiday season this year, so I sure hope so too!

Oh really? Back for another holiday season at DLR! :banana:

I hope everything is back to its usual holiday version/format once November gets here, although I fear that the garland/Mickey-shaped wreaths will never be hung over Main Street again, if Paint the Night sticks around. Those might just be gone forever. But to have those gone, have the Winter Castle gone, and the holiday fireworks too -- all at the same time -- is just too much. Something has got to return. Even if it's only the Winter Castle that returns, it's better than nothing. There is nothing that can replace that glowing, shimmering light that beckons us all from afar, as we walk down Main Street.

Sherry, it was way too hot today! When I got to church this morning for Bible Study, a friend recommended I turn my car around so it was facing toward the shade instead of the open parking lot in the sun. Maybe I should have listened. Poor car was a sauna less than 2 hours later. I need to start looking for shorts! :)

I sure vote for the Winter Castle.

Meantime, a little later this evening, I will finally make my picture folder so it's ready for the start of this year's Christmas picture threads on here :santa:

It's definitely too hot for me today. It's funny because, right now, the weather forecast I check is saying that we are going to have temperatures in the upper 60s and a high percentage of rain from Thursday of this week to Thursday of next week. Some days have a 90% chance of rain. And yet, I would bet that by tomorrow there will only be one day with a high chance of rain, and then it will be 80 degrees and dry on every other day!

Oh really? Back for another holiday season at DLR! :banana:

I hope everything is back to its usual holiday version/format once November gets here, although I fear that the garland/Mickey-shaped wreaths will never be hung over Main Street again, if Paint the Night sticks around. Those might just be gone forever. But to have those gone, have the Winter Castle gone, and the holiday fireworks too -- all at the same time -- is just too much. Something has got to return. Even if it's only the Winter Castle that returns, it's better than nothing. There is nothing that can replace that glowing, shimmering light that beckons us all from afar, as we walk down Main Street.

It's definitely too hot for me today. It's funny because, right now, the weather forecast I check is saying that we are going to have temperatures in the upper 60s and a high percentage of rain from Thursday of this week to Thursday of next week. Some days have a 90% chance of rain. And yet, I would bet that by tomorrow there will only be one day with a high chance of rain, and then it will be 80 degrees and dry on every other day!
Send some of that heat back east, please! It was nice and warm and sunny over the weekend, and now it's cold again! Spring needs to stay put :p

No settled dates here yet, but looking at the week before Thanksgiving. What about you?
We are going for the rundisney weekend..I'm hopefully getting a spot for the 10K and dh will do the infinity gauntlet challenge, assuming we get spots next week. We'll probably leave the Wednesday after the races.

First time posting - hopefully I'm doing this right!
We are thinking about going to Disneyland the week of November 14th-20th, it's the week after the Avengers Half Marathon and the week before the week of Thanksgiving. What should I expect as far as crowds?

We will be there during some of that time too.. 13th thru 18th. Crossing fingers for lower crowds! Its been years since we have been there during the holidays and we are taking our boys who will be 4 and 16 months for the 1st time. Cant wait to see their little faces light up at all of the holiday fun! My older one is a Christmas fanatic like his mommy.:lovestruc

Last edited:
I just booked our trip. Going 12/2-12/7. It's our first time going around Christmas time. We're all really excited :)

Sherry this is for you but of course for everyone else as well. A Dreyers warning to hopefully save all of you money! Remember the awful Peppermint Wonderland ice cream from last year? I think it has found a new form in Dreyers Nestle Crunch Mint ice cream. I am not sure of the exact name of this flavor other than there are two varieties. One is a chocolate (don't know what kind of chocolate, if anyone tries this please let me know and how it was :) and then the flavor I made the mistake of trying which was a white mint ice cream with a ribbon of chocolate (ribbon was not too prominent, btw) and then the pieces of Nestle Crunch candy. For me this was also too crunch/chewy (I have jaw joint issues) so that was another disappointment that the candy wasn't more "flat" like the actual Nestle Crunch Candy Bar if that makes sense. Of course that is not Dreyers fault, just an FYI. What was awfully sneaky, IMO, was as I was tasting this ice cream the second time it occurred to me that this was tasting awfully to quote Sherry, "frozen toothpaste" familiar! :P I do wonder if it was indeed the peppermint wonderland with the two additions. Regardless, I did not like it.

I am still a fan of Safeway's Mint Chocolate Cookie Crumble. This ice cream is even green :) I get it at Pavilions. I do think I've shared this before but wanted to make up for the un wonderfulness of the above. ETA: Target's own Market Pantry Mint Cookies and Cream is better and cheaper than the above. Go try it! :D

Last edited:
We have been kicking around doing Disneyland during xmas, most likely Dec 23rd-27th. Debating on or off property, we could stay at the hilton for free using points, but then I worry if the park gets to crowded will they shut it down to guests who are not staying on property? Airfare isn't to terrible right now. Biggest hold up is our son has special needs and the thought of having to sprint from ride to ride at rope drop trying to get fast passes vs doing them ahead of time like WDW isn't very appealing. Since we usually do Disney World during "off season" not sure how he will hold up with those huge crowds.

edited:

Changed our minds and will be going in early November instead

Last edited:
We did get in for the Superhero RunDisney weekend...DH is lined up to run the Infinity Gauntlet challenge, and I'm doing the 10K. We haven't totally decided on our dates yet, though. We have a hotel booked,but need to alter either the arrival dates or departure dates depending on when Disney decides to start Christmas this year. I can't remember from last year (and I'll confess I did not go back and read page 1!) - does anyone remember when the announcement of the Christmas season dates happened last year?

Just booked the first full week in December! So exited it's my husbands first DL Christmas trip. We usually go in September and March but I found a good deal on this week so I think he will enjoy it. After going to WDW for the first time this year I am even more excited to be going back to DL then ever! Can't wait to stalk this thread for all the holiday stuff. :santa: Made my countdown and all!​

We did get in for the Superhero RunDisney weekend...DH is lined up to run the Infinity Gauntlet challenge, and I'm doing the 10K. We haven't totally decided on our dates yet, though. We have a hotel booked,but need to alter either the arrival dates or departure dates depending on when Disney decides to start Christmas this year. I can't remember from last year (and I'll confess I did not go back and read page 1!) - does anyone remember when the announcement of the Christmas season dates happened last year?
Nevermind, I found my answer very easily in post #1 - Thanks @Sherry E for an awesome resource of info :)

So now my question is slightly different. With Veteran's Day being Friday teh 11th, is Disney likely to start the holiday season that day? Or would they move the start date?

So now my question is slightly different. With Veteran's Day being Friday teh 11th, is Disney likely to start the holiday season that day? Or would they move the start date?

I seem to remember DLR starting the holiday on Veteran's Day in the past, but one never knows what the powers that be at DLR will do with this year. I do think there will be a lot of holiday overlay up by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter