• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that he would be in Critter Country at the usual Meet and Greet area for Pooh and friends which is all the way in the back in front of the store, near the exits of the Pooh ride and the Splash Mountain ride.

Anyone have any thoughts on where Pooh and friends will be then? Or did I miss that somewhere? I never got to meet Eeyore on my last trip, so that's on my list of must-do's for this trip.

It's been nice spending a cozy, rainy day catching up on this thread. I've been feeling kinda draggy these past few weeks, mostly due to work, but scrolling through all these great posts, it really hit me that we are only 5 weeks out from our next trip, and now I am starting to get super excited!

I am so sad that there is no winter castle this year - the castle lighting is one of my favorite things about the holiday season. The Let It Go section of Disneyland Forever Fireworks just doesn't have the same emotional impact as snow falling during the castle lighting!

We have our reservation made for Big Thunder BBQ, which will be the last for us before it closes down (sniffle). It's too bad we will have no room for dessert, because while I'm not the hugest fan of peppermint, I do like it in combination with chocolate and that holiday dessert sounds divine. And I do hope that they decide to decorate back there after all.

This could be our last holiday trip for a while. Our APs expire next summer, and while we were always going to take a year off as we usually do, I don't know when we will get them again. The rising prices aren't completely out of our reach yet (for the level I'm willing to pay for), but with the construction and worsening crowds, we may wait until that is all complete...then again, who knows what those prices and crowds will look like after Star Wars Land opens! I'm terrible about taking photos (in general and also quality wise :)) but I'm starting to look into iPhone photography tips and tricks as I would like to take more pictures on this trip to have something more concrete than memories to look back on.

My computer bit the dust, so I haven't been posting, but I have been reading! I have a backup of everything, but I have to get a new computer to access it all - what a pain.

Anyways, Sherry - you are amazing and I really really really appreciate all you do for this thread and disboards. I love your comments and all that you bring to all of us. Thank you.

Thank you all for posting! 20 Days and I'll be in Disneyland! Can't wait!

Making a list of goodies and checking it twice ... Are the holiday treats the same no matter where you get them? Like the gingerbread man or Whoopie pie? Or is one location better than another? What is a crispy and should it make the nice list? Four days is not enough time to try everything! popcorn:::mickeybarThanks!

Hallmark Channel movie viewers -- The second new movie in this year's Countdown to Christmas bonanza, Ice Sculpture Christmas, was very cute, and better than last week's new movie, 'Tis the Season for Love. The third new movie, Charming Christmas, just premiered tonight, but it is sitting on the DVR until I can get to it. The 4th and 5th new movies of the season -- I'm Not Ready for Christmas and Christmas Incorporated -- air next Saturday and Sunday, respectively.

Sometime tomorrow -- Monday, November 9th -- I will draw the names of the 2 winners of Disney Gift Cards for participating in this year's Theme Week Countdown. Hopefully I can do it in the morning, or as soon as possible. You still have just over 1-1/2 hours to get your holiday photos in tonight, if you want to jump into the random draw at the last minute!

:santa::santa::santa:

Does anyone know where Santa will be this year? I thought I read somewhere that he would be in a critter country, but I can't picture where.

Critter Country is a new spot for Santa in Disneyland this year. Normally he would have been at the Big Thunder Ranch area -- even before there was a Jingle Jangle Jamboree, Santa was greeting guests in the little log cabin at the Reindeer Round-Up part of the Ranch. Then, when the Jingle Jangle Jamboree was created Santa was moved into the outdoor Festival Arena section of the Ranch.

Originally I had been told (many months ago) that Santa was going to return to his cabin this year (this was before it was officially announced by Disney that the Jingle Jangle Jamboree was not returning). However, that is apparently not to be. In fact, I wonder if the Halloween and Fall decor is still up at the Ranch, as it was a couple of days ago, or if there will be one last year for charming rustic Christmas decorations.

It seems like it could have been easy enough to put Santa in the cabin at the Ranch again -- it's also better to have him indoors, in case it starts to rain a lot next month. I'm not really sure why he is being moved to Critter Country, taking over the area where Pooh & Friends would normally be.

Do you think it would be OK if I made an ADR at Big Thunder Ranch just to get our hands on the brownie with peppermint ice cream? We don't want a full meal there but not sure if the CM's would be annoyed/think it's weird.

Thanks all :)

There was a thread not too long ago in which someone was asking about making a reservation at the BBQ just for dessert. It seems to not be uncommon. You might want to order more than one dessert for the table, just to soften the blow of not getting a meal.

Anyone have any thoughts on where Pooh and friends will be then? Or did I miss that somewhere? I never got to meet Eeyore on my last trip, so that's on my list of must-do's for this trip.

I don't think that Erin at the Parks Blog ever said where they would be -- at least not that I remember (I tried to check the Parks Blog just now, but they are having some website trouble) -- but I tend to think that they will still be somewhere in Critter Country. Maybe they will even be in the same spot where Santa is, but only there when he is not there.

We shall find out very soon, as the holiday season officially begins in 5 days!!! :banana::banana::santa::woohoo:

It's been nice spending a cozy, rainy day catching up on this thread. I've been feeling kinda draggy these past few weeks, mostly due to work, but scrolling through all these great posts, it really hit me that we are only 5 weeks out from our next trip, and now I am starting to get super excited!

I am so sad that there is no winter castle this year - the castle lighting is one of my favorite things about the holiday season. The Let It Go section of Disneyland Forever Fireworks just doesn't have the same emotional impact as snow falling during the castle lighting!

We have our reservation made for Big Thunder BBQ, which will be the last for us before it closes down (sniffle). It's too bad we will have no room for dessert, because while I'm not the hugest fan of peppermint, I do like it in combination with chocolate and that holiday dessert sounds divine. And I do hope that they decide to decorate back there after all.

This could be our last holiday trip for a while. Our APs expire next summer, and while we were always going to take a year off as we usually do, I don't know when we will get them again. The rising prices aren't completely out of our reach yet (for the level I'm willing to pay for), but with the construction and worsening crowds, we may wait until that is all complete...then again, who knows what those prices and crowds will look like after Star Wars Land opens! I'm terrible about taking photos (in general and also quality wise :)) but I'm starting to look into iPhone photography tips and tricks as I would like to take more pictures on this trip to have something more concrete than memories to look back on.

I don't even want to think about the prices and crowds after Star Wars Land opens! :faint: I'm even wondering what the crowds will be like when Season of the Force opens a week from tomorrow!

I am quite sad about the lack of a Winter Castle this year, because it's such a large part and important symbol of the holiday season. It is going to be conspicuously absent. From what I have read, there aren't even going to be any of the 'snow' lights in the trees this year -- you know, the ones that light up and look like they have been covered in ice/snow?

Nonetheless, you will have a wonderful trip and it will all begin in only 5 weeks!! :hyper:

My computer bit the dust, so I haven't been posting, but I have been reading! I have a backup of everything, but I have to get a new computer to access it all - what a pain.

Anyways, Sherry - you are amazing and I really really really appreciate all you do for this thread and disboards. I love your comments and all that you bring to all of us. Thank you.

Thank you all for posting! 20 Days and I'll be in Disneyland! Can't wait!

Thank you for the kind words! :goodvibes And thank you for participating (when were able to) in the Theme Week Countdown this year. I look forward to hearing about your next holiday season trip to DLR!

Making a list of goodies and checking it twice ... Are the holiday treats the same no matter where you get them? Like the gingerbread man or Whoopie pie? Or is one location better than another? What is a crispy and should it make the nice list? Four days is not enough time to try everything! popcorn:::mickeybarThanks!

Not all gingerbread men are created equal! :lmao: If you go to the Candy Palace, Trolley Treats, Marceline's Confectionery or Pooh Corner you can get the super yummy gingerbread men with chocolate-dipped mouse ears and chocolate buttons. However, there are carts and other places that sell basic, run of the mill gingerbread men without mouse ears too. I would go for the ones with the mouse ears.

Also, you will see a couple of different kinds of crisped/crispy rice treats -- the kind that are on sticks and sold in the above-mentioned shops but are not wrapped, and then the kind that are pre-wrapped in plastic and not on sticks. I would go for the kind on the sticks, in the display case at the sweet shops.

I think that the Whoopie pie will probably be the same wherever it is, maybe with a couple of different flavors.

There will be holiday and seasonal foods that were not on that Parks Blog list, and then some items they covered will be in more spots than just the locations mentioned on that Parks Blog list as well. So, in other words, if they only mentioned an item being in one location, you might find it in more than one place.

Last edited:
I don't even want to think about the prices and crowds after Star Wars Land opens! :faint: I'm even wondering what the crowds will be like when Season of the Force opens a week from tomorrow!

I am quite sad about the lack of a Winter Castle this year, because it's such a large part and important symbol of the holiday season. It is going to be conspicuously absent. From what I have read, there aren't even going to be any of the 'snow' lights in the trees this year -- you know, the ones that light up and look like they have been covered in ice/snow?

Nonetheless, you will have a wonderful trip and it will all begin in only 5 weeks!! :hyper:

I'm mentally preparing for huge crowds. September was already crazy busy to me, I'm pretty sure Season of the Force plus the 60th will make the holiday season bonkers lol.

Aww, no snow lights in the trees either? Main Street and the hub truly will not feel the same.

Thank you! Regardless of crowds or what is or isn't there, I know we will have a great time as well. We have a week so we can go at a relaxed pace, and I really want to drink in all the details (I usually can't be bothered to take pictures so I want to branch out and try to take more pictures). Being at DL makes me happy regardless of what we do, especially when I've been so stressed out lately. I'm just hoping that the worst of El Nino holds off until January :lmao:

It's official..it's holiday season. I partook in my first peppermint shake of the year at this restaurant in a mall in San Jose. It was DELICIOUS.
If you have a Smashburger near you get the Pepper mint crunch shake! It has lots of crunchy peppermint pieces and the shake is perfect without being too strong in flavor. It hit the spot this rainy afternoon!

I'm mentally preparing for huge crowds. September was already crazy busy to me, I'm pretty sure Season of the Force plus the 60th will make the holiday season bonkers lol.

Aww, no snow lights in the trees either? Main Street and the hub truly will not feel the same.

Thank you! Regardless of crowds or what is or isn't there, I know we will have a great time as well. We have a week so we can go at a relaxed pace, and I really want to drink in all the details (I usually can't be bothered to take pictures so I want to branch out and try to take more pictures). Being at DL makes me happy regardless of what we do, especially when I've been so stressed out lately. I'm just hoping that the worst of El Nino holds off until January :lmao:

So far, the only real El Nino-related anything we've seen here has been the awful humidity and heat that plagued us in the not too distant past. It was so uncomfortable, even at night. Now it's crisp and cool in the evenings, and pleasant in the daytime. I think that El Nino will probably unleash on us its full watery fury in the early part of next year. I mean, I'm no meteorologist, of course, but we have gotten a lot of nasty rain in the earliest months of the year in the past, or maybe late in December. We probably won't go into full throttle relentless torrential rain mode until early next year.

No snow lights on the trees either! No garland or Mickey wreaths suspended above Main Street. No fake snow on the Castle. No Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks. No icicle lights on the Castle. No Jingle Jangle Jamboree. Hopefully, with any luck, all of the usual decorations that would be up in both parks and at all of the hotels will be in place, with no obvious omissions.

It's official..it's holiday season. I partook in my first peppermint shake of the year at this restaurant in a mall in San Jose. It was DELICIOUS.
If you have a Smashburger near you get the Pepper mint crunch shake! It has lots of crunchy peppermint pieces and the shake is perfect without being too strong in flavor. It hit the spot this rainy afternoon!

I don't have a Smashburger near me!!! But I am definitely craving some peppermint ice cream something or another, simply because it seems to be in short supply in my stores this year!

In the recent Starbucks ads/promotions I have seen (with the list of holiday flavors in the Red Cups), they don't mention gingerbread. So I certainly hope they haven't lost their minds and stopped selling gingerbread lattes!

Last edited:
Mahalo Sherry for all your hard work. I looked forward to your thread every day. Hopefully I can contribute pictures next year :santa:

Thank you so much -- I'm glad you stuck with us here! :goodvibes

I hope you're able to contribute photos next year too! You're always welcome to -- whether you have a trip in the works or not!

These are a few of my favorite things:

Love the Candy apples and other treats in this window. I think the most time spent in DTD is watching these artists at work :)

My little ones

Because my one day at Christmastime was mostly spent at Club 33 (it was my 33rd birthday weekend too, the best present ever!) these were my favorite photos

These are a few of my favorite things:

Love the Candy apples and other treats in this window. I think the most time spent in DTD is watching these artists at work :)

My little ones

Because my one day at Christmastime was mostly spent at Club 33 (it was my 33rd birthday weekend too, the best present ever!) these were my favorite photos

Ok the Club 33 entrance/joining fee would be worth it just to see Mickey and Minnie in those costumes! Lovely pictures :)

In the recent Starbucks ads/promotions I have seen (with the list of holiday flavors in the Red Cups), they don't mention gingerbread. So I certainly hope they haven't lost their minds and stopped selling gingerbread lattes!

Don't worry, the gingerbread latte is back! Since the red cups came out, I've been to to three different Starbucks (don't judge, lol) and only one had it on their menu board, though. I asked at one of the other ones and they were able to make it. Now all have a sign on their specials board to check back 11/10 (tomorrow) for more holiday stuff, so maybe they'll premier officially tomorrow??

And I agree about the winter castle. It just isn't the same. And it looks lIke that front garland/wreath was an after thought. I'll reserve complete judgment until I see it in person, but it just feels like it's missing some magic.

Do you think it would be OK if I made an ADR at Big Thunder Ranch just to get our hands on the brownie with peppermint ice cream? We don't want a full meal there but not sure if the CM's would be annoyed/think it's weird.

Thanks all :)

When we were there in October we stopped by around 2:00 pm to see if we could just get dessert (sugar cookie bake with pumpkin ice cream, yum!) but were turned away because they were too busy. We were told to come back another day, but to check in before they open. So, we went at 11:00 am (first seating was 11:30 am) and managed to get a table for opening. They even took our order at check-in, so they could get a head start on baking the cookie - I suspect to cut down on the time we occupied a table lol. I didn't know you could do an ADR at BTR for just dessert? That would be wonderful! Has anyone done this before? Do you have to note in the ADR that you are not doing the AYCE BBQ?

Has anyone tried Jack in the Box’s Peppermint Oreo Shake? I don’t eat there but noticed a poster for it on a window driving by. I may find out about getting one minus the Oreo (too chewy and crunchy for me). Hooray that this week officially starts Christmastime at Disneyland. I look forward to hearing about all of your trips. Thank you Sherry for helping make our wait much more fun :)

Ok the Club 33 entrance/joining fee would be worth it just to see Mickey and Minnie in those costumes! Lovely pictures :)

Thank you! For me the unique outfits Mickey and Minnie were really wonderful, they came and visited our table as well and Mickey was very huggy on me, which made it feel semi like a character meal (we also had 4 amazing Dickens carolers stop by, one of which did a spot on version of Elvis' Blue Christmas) so I was over the moon with the extra pixie dustpixiedust:

Can we talk peppermint ice cream?A few years ago we did the cookie bake at Big Thunder Ranch and although it wasn't delicious - it wasn't the same peppermint ice cream. This might have been the shortage year. Or the year they had the "lesser" peppermint ice cream. Any way to know if the peppermint ice cream is the REAL DEAL??? I don't want to get my husband's hopes up otherwise.

And for those of you in the grocery stores, I can home with a peppermint flavored redi-whip (might have been a different brand) - YUM - in hot cocoa, or on warm brownie!

Question: will the brownie peppermint bake be available starting Nov 13th? We have an ADR on Wednesday...

I don't have an AP, but I'm thinking about no trips until 2017. I don't think it will be worth it to go when everything is torn up.

I think that the Whoopie pie will probably be the same wherever it is, maybe with a couple of different flavors.

Do you think the red velvet will also be available, or will it just be the holiday one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter