Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so happy I found this thread! I didn't even think about th Holidays being up when we are there mid-November. I'm a WDW person but a friend and I are going out for the Avengers Half. Just called and was able to make a tour reservation for November 15th. They had the morning and afternoon available. My friend has to fly out right after the race, but I'm spending the extra night, so this will be perfect for me. Looking forward to more details.

Welcome! :welcome: I'm glad you found us too! Here is a post with some highlights of what we know about this year's season so far: http://www.disboards.com/threads/di...i-november-13th.3358217/page-92#post-54556970. Will you be in the parks long enough to experience the first day of Season of the Force, which starts on 11/16 (though I suspect that certain aspects of it may soft open prior to 11/16)?

Welcome! :welcome: I'm glad you found us too! Here is a post with some highlights of what we know about this year's season so far: http://www.disboards.com/threads/di...i-november-13th.3358217/page-92#post-54556970. Will you be in the parks long enough to experience the first day of Season of the Force, which starts on 11/16 (though I suspect that certain aspects of it may soft open prior to 11/16)?

Thank you so much for the link! I've been trying to back track through this thread. Sadly I will be leaving the morning of the 16th, but I'm hoping they will have some things open. I'm most excited for the HM Overlay and the Jingle Cruise.

Thank you so much for the link! I've been trying to back track through this thread. Sadly I will be leaving the morning of the 16th, but I'm hoping they will have some things open. I'm most excited for the HM Overlay and the Jingle Cruise.

Of course, we don't know for sure what will happen -- but I would not be at all shocked if Hyperspace Mountain soft opened before 11/16, while all of the marathoners are still in the parks. And I would not be shocked if the Launch Bay is fully up and running by 11/15 as well. That weekend is going to be the first weekend of the official holiday season, and I can't imagine that Disney wouldn't try to offer a 'sneak preview' of some part of Season of the Force for those crowds (including the Avengers marathon folks) to enjoy.

The hotels are outrageously priced, regardless of Candlelight weekend. The prices don't change because of Candlelight. The hotels don't even book up because of Candlelight. It's a non-publicized event for invited guests, that happens to affect crowd flow in the parks. If anything, the hotels are usually less expensive in the earlier part of December, and more expensive in the latter half, or week of Christmas.

If that specific weekend is more expensive than other weekends, it's not just because of Candlelight. It's probably because Disney was looking at what happened last year on that weekend -- which is that the December hotel rooms were already booked up in September, due to RaverDay attendees and pharmacist convention attendees who got great rates, along with whichever Candlelight guests decided to stay overnight -- and assuming that would happen again.

The performances usually take place at approximately 5:30 and 8 p.m., give or take 10 minutes. They last approximately 45 minutes, sometimes a bit longer.

I would stick with Sunday, personally -- that's my choice, and that's when I last saw it.

Thanks, Sherry! And, you are right, the onsite hotels are always outrageously priced! They did seem even worse than normal when I looked: $614 for CGH, $536 for DLH and $470 for PPH!! Yikes! Even my $124 in Orbucks couldn’t offset it enough to make me bite. Pretty much all the Harbor hotels across the street are booked, so it is going to be a busy weekend! I don’t mind since I will be solo on this trip and I know how to handle the crowds. Thanks for the Candlelight info, I'm really looking forward to it now!

Thanks, Sherry! And, you are right, the onsite hotels are always outrageously priced! They did seem even worse than normal when I looked: $614 for CGH, $536 for DLH and $470 for PPH!! Yikes! Even my $124 in Orbucks couldn’t offset it enough to make me bite. Pretty much all the Harbor hotels across the street are booked, so it is going to be a busy weekend! I don’t mind since I will be solo on this trip and I know how to handle the crowds. Thanks for the Candlelight info, I'm really looking forward to it now!
If you have an AP, the AP price for PPH is $350 for a standard view room.

I love the PPH -- well, really, I love all of the hotels -- but there is no way the PPH is worth a $470 rack rate, sans discounts. I remember when the rack rate climbed to $220 a few years back. Even that seemed like too much!

I've done solo trips at that exact time frame, I think I encountered cheaper prices on Sunday nights than on Saturdays.

Since you're going to be solo, you might want to join Mona/flyingdumbo127 for Candlelight on Saturday if you decide to see it. I know she is planning to see it again, and she really wants company.

If you have an AP, the AP price for PPH is $350 for a standard view room.
Yes, I do have an AP, but that is still to much for this trip. With tax it is over $400!!

I love the PPH -- well, really, I love all of the hotels -- but there is no way the PPH is worth a $470 rack rate, sans discounts. I remember when the rack rate climbed to $220 a few years back. Even that seemed like too much!

I've done solo trips at that exact time frame, I think I encountered cheaper prices on Sunday nights than on Saturdays.

You're right, Sunday nights are definitely cheaper. Before I changed my dates this week I was paying $135 for Sunday, Nov 29th! That was thru Orbitz, with the 20% off Disney promo, plus Orbitz 15%, plus my $124 in Orbucks. For that price, how could I say no??!! But, now that I’ve moved my dates to a Sat night, it just won’t work. I’m trying to do this trip on the cheap!

Since you're going to be solo, you might want to join Mona/flyingdumbo127 for Candlelight on Saturday if you decide to see it. I know she is planning to see it again, and she really wants company

Thanks, I'll contact her. At this point I'm really leaning towards the Sunday and I really don't want to camp out for hours since this is such a short trip. If it works out, great, if not, it'll be OK since there are so many other things I'd like to do as well!

I got my chr meals from Getawaytoday.com and on the back it says these vouchers can be used for 33 or 45 at any other dinning location. (not woc dinner) I was wondering if any one has done this recently? We are thinking of buying some more for CO lunch, Flos, and Plaza inn. So a few of the lunches and dinners are pre paid for. Or should we just get the Gift cards?

I got my chr meals from Getawaytoday.com and on the back it says these vouchers can be used for 33 or 45 at any other dinning location. (not woc dinner) I was wondering if any one has done this recently? We are thinking of buying some more for CO lunch, Flos, and Plaza inn. So a few of the lunches and dinners are pre paid for. Or should we just get the Gift cards?
am I correct about the dlr dining vouchers being that you don't get change? So say you spend $38, you would need to use the $45 voucher, but wouldn't get the change? That's been my.understanding. if that is the case, I would get gift cards over more.vouchers.

It just occurred to me that the next couple of weeks will be interesting to follow. If -- and I do mean IF, as this year seems to be all out of whack in many ways -- things adhere to the same basic timeline they have followed in recent years, some of the in-park holiday decorations should be sneaking in a bit early. While it doesn't sound as if we will see the fake snow on the Castle this year, the New Orleans Square decorations (Mardi Gras masks, for example) usually appear before Halloween. I think that some of the Toontown decor appears a bit early too, as does the Bug's Land decor.

However, if there is really not going to be any kind of taping for ABC on the first weekend in November this year, I tend to wonder if Disney might wait until after Halloween Time is officially over (after 11/1/15) to begin putting up the holiday decor.

Since I have never been during Christmas (Nov 11 - 14th and back on 16th), I am just happy to see the decorations and helping out with the marathon. I am so excited about seeing the Holiday time at Disneyland Tour, plus all the new 60th anniversary shows :)

Stefani

Since I have never been during Christmas (Nov 11 - 14th and back on 16th), I am just happy to see the decorations and helping out with the marathon. I am so excited about seeing the Holiday time at Disneyland Tour, plus all the new 60th anniversary shows :)

Stefani

It's a wonderful time to be in the parks, that's for sure! There is a lot to see, between holiday stuff, Season of the Force, the 60th anniversary shows, etc. I think you'll really have a great time. On 11/16, check the hotels (or at least check the GCH lobby) to see if, by any chance, the giant Christmas tree has gone up yet. It would be right around 11/16 or 11/17 that the hotel trees should begin to appear (assuming that the schedule from the last couple of years sticks).

It's a wonderful time to be in the parks, that's for sure! There is a lot to see, between holiday stuff, Season of the Force, the 60th anniversary shows, etc. I think you'll really have a great time. On 11/16, check the hotels (or at least check the GCH lobby) to see if, by any chance, the giant Christmas tree has gone up yet. It would be right around 11/16 or 11/17 that the hotel trees should begin to appear.

We are coming back on the 16th for the DVC mingle, so we will check out the hotels and see the trees :) our flight doesn't leave until 3pm, so we can wander around a bit.

Thanks, Sherry for passing on that info to Angrose.

Angrose, I did PM you and before properly reading your full reply that you were going to contact me. I did not intend to be jumpy/pushy on that. Lol, I need to read slower before I leap (PM)

Stefndoug, I wish you a wonderful first Christmastime at Disneyland visit. Really is an amazing time to visit. Have fun!

I'm a little disappointed, I was really hoping that Winter Dreams would open early we leave on Nov the 13th International flight so can't change it, we can only stay in the park till about 6pm that day I didn't even think about DL being decorated for Christmas when booking our flights. I am very excited about being able to see the park decorated though.

I'm a little disappointed, I was really hoping that Winter Dreams would open early we leave on Nov the 13th International flight so can't change it, we can only stay in the park till about 6pm that day I didn't even think about DL being decorated for Christmas when booking our flights. I am very excited about being able to see the park decorated though.

Well, you never know. I wouldn't want to get anyone's hopes up, but Disney has a pretty good habit of soft opening things before their official start date -- especially when it gets to November and the holidays are about to begin. So, for example, since the holiday season officially begins on 11/13, it is always possible that some things will soft open a day or so before that date (like by Veterans Day, perhaps). It's a Small World Holiday is supposed to be soft opening on 11/6, and usually there would be other things soft opening on that date too, such as Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks (which are not happening this year), A Christmas Fantasy parade, etc.

So you might get lucky and end up with Winter Dreams as a surprise somewhere in that week leading up to 11/13. You will see decorations in both parks -- whatever there is going to be of the decor this year (which is still a mystery). The trees, wreaths and garland should be up in the parks well before 11/13 (but not in the hotels). And you will get to experience It's a Small World Holiday and Haunted Mansion Holiday, at the very least.

Well, you never know. I wouldn't want to get anyone's hopes up, but Disney has a pretty good habit of soft opening things before their official start date -- especially when it gets to November and the holidays are about to begin. So, for example, since the holiday season officially begins on 11/13, it is always possible that some things will soft open a day or so before that date. It's a Small World Holiday is supposed to be soft opening on 11/6, and usually there would be other things soft opening on that date too, such as Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks (which are not happening this year), A Christmas Fantasy parade, etc.

So you might get lucky and end up with Winter Dreams as a surprise somewhere in that week leading up to 11/13. You will see decorations in both parks -- whatever there is going to be of the decor this year (which is still a mystery). And you will get to experience It's a Small World Holiday and Haunted Mansion Holiday, at the very least.

Thanks Sherry that's what I'm hoping for we are there from 11-13 so hopefully we will get lucky, seeing any decorations will be a bonus as it's not the usual time of year we travel. I'm also there from OCT 26 - Nov 2 so we will watching for the gradual changes.
Thanks for all the hard work you put into your threads I have been following them for a few years dreaming of seeing the castle in it's Christmas glory ;)

Thanks Sherry that's what I'm hoping for we are there from 11-13 so hopefully we will get lucky, seeing any decorations will be a bonus as it's not the usual time of year we travel. I'm also there from OCT 26 - Nov 2 so we will watching for the gradual changes.
Thanks for all the hard work you put into your threads I have been following them for a few years dreaming of seeing the castle in it's Christmas glory ;)

Thank you for the kind words! I truly appreciate it.

It's funny you mention the Castle, since we don't know what it's going to look like this year for the holidays! It will probably not have fake snow on it, but we don't know if it will be lit in icicle lights or not. I mean, it's pretty in its 60th anniversary form, but it's not the Winter Castle when it looks the same as it looked in May! :lmao: So I hope that the Enhancement Team throws some extra lights on the Castle to make it sparkle a bit more for the season. I think they will add some lights to it.

When you're there from 10/26 - 11/2, you will see the crossover time, when Halloween Time begins to transition into the Holidays. So I would imagine that the Mardi Gras masks should be up in New Orleans Square by the time of your first trip. And IF anything is being done to the Castle this year, such as icicle lights, you may see it being installed.

Thank you for the kind words! I truly appreciate it.

It's funny you mention the Castle, since we don't know what it's going to look like this year for the holidays! It will probably not have fake snow on it, but we don't know if it will be lit in icicle lights or not. I mean, it's pretty in its 60th anniversary form, but it's not the Winter Castle when it looks the same as it looked in May! :lmao: So I hope that the Enhancement Team throws some extra lights on the Castle to make it sparkle a bit more for the season. I think they will add some lights to it.

When you're there from 10/26 - 11/2, you will see the crossover time, when Halloween Time begins to transition into the Holidays. So I would imagine that the Mardi Gras masks should be up in New Orleans Square by the time of your first trip. And IF anything is being done to the Castle this year, such as icicle lights, you may see it being installed.

You are very welcome you put a lot of work into keeping us all updated and it is fantastic of you :)

I was quite lucky to make a trip across for the 60th in July and the castle is stunningly decorated but I'll just keep hoping they add a little more for Christmas I'm greedy aren't i lol

We have been a few times during Halloween and I love seeing the park dressed up for it so I'm really looking forward to this to see some of the Christmas decorations :)

Well, I haven't left for my Haloween trip yet and now I need to plan for Christmas! We've decided to throw caution to the wind and drive down for the thanksgiving weekend. It will be insanely crowded, but I want to see Hyperspace Mountian and all of the Christmas decorations. If I want to book a world of color meal that will come with winter dreams will it need to be lunch? They're running dreams first and then celebrate, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter